Start by marking “Rain!” as Want to Read:
Rain!

Rain!

One rainy day in the city, an eager little boy exclaims, “Rain!” Across town a grumpy man grumbles, “Rain.” In this endearing picture book, a rainy-day cityscape comes to life in vibrant, cut-paper-style artwork. The boy in his green frog hat splashes in puddles—“Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy!”—while the old man curses the “dang puddles.” Can the boy’s natural exuberance (and ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rain!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain!

Start your review of Rain!
Rebecca
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very cute book about rain as viewed by a little boy (yay! frog boots!) and an old man (grumpy!). Their different perspectives -- until they meet, of course -- are illustrated by Christian Robinson.
Tasha
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The perfect book to lift your spirits on a soggy spring day! When an older man wakes up and sees the rain, he is not happy. But when a little boy looks out at the same rain, he’s delighted. The older man grumbles through his preparations to go outside, while the little boy puts on his green boots, green coat and frog hat still happy with the gloomy weather. The old man grumbles about puddles, while you can see the joy of the child. They end up in the same café, the old man still grumpy with his ...more
Erin
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rain is the parallel stories of a cranky old man and a happy little boy who both wake up to discover a rainy day. They react very differently to their circumstances, and when they eventually cross paths the boy's sunny attitude rubs off on the cranky old man and turns his day around.

There's not a ton of text in this book, making it suitable for a wide age range. Most of what's going on is interpreted through the drawings, and the facial expressions convey a wide variety of emotions. Our 3 year
Luisa Knight
A cute book about rain and the opposites of being nice and being grumpy.

Ages: 2 - 4

Cleanliness: the words "blasted" and "dang" are used.

#rain

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Alana Abbott
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Scholastic sent Rain! with my child's book order as a replacement for a book I ordered that wasn't in stock. I have never been more delighted to not get my order. Rain! is the story of a little boy who loves the rain, an old man who hates it, and the way that a brief encounter (and a smile) can change the direction of a whole day. I don't frequently laugh out loud at the end of a picture book (Mo Willems's Elephant and Piggie books are the notable exceptions), but this one had me laugh with joy ...more
Samantha
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, rain
It's a rainy day in the city and the story follows a grumpy old man and a cute little boy who end up at the same cafe. Both moods can be infectious, but the little boy's cheeriness wins the old man over when he returns his hat and offers him a cookie.

Paint and collage illustrations give each page a lot of visual texture. The faces of the characters are so simple yet very well depicted.

It was quite fun to spend a moment in this rainstorm as seen through two perspectives.
Tracie
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
In parallel stories that delightfully converge, a young puddle-loving boy inspires a grumpy old man to turn his mood around. As always, Robinson's illustrations are expressive, energetic, and inviting.

My 3-year-old loved this.
Camden
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Can I just say that I have a billion years of love for Christian Robinson for not giving Asian characters slant eyes? Thank you, Mr. Robinson.

This was really cute.
Anthony
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
So cute! I love Christian Robinson's illustrations.
paula
Ooh I love this little guy! He looks just like an old-style Fisher Price Little People person, with his little round head and little dot eyes and perfect green slicker.
Tonya-Denise Pettaway
Another wonderful picture book about rain! Some love the rain, while others despise it. This book takes an adoring look at two very different opinions of one of nature’s blessings. A young boy and an old man begin their day in different parts of a city. The young boy is not deterred by the rain while the old man is quite upset by the weather. Throughout the book, the old man continues to display a bad attitude. The young boy, on the other hand, takes great enjoyment in the day and brings a smile ...more
Stephanie Bange
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s a rainy day in the city. An older man wakes up and grumpily proclaims “Rain!” A few blocks away, a young boy rejoices “Rain!” Separately, the two prepare for a jaunt out in the weather, ultimately crossing paths at the Rise & Shine Café. A small courtesy by the boy transforms the man’s mood to a sunny one.

Ashman has created a sweet slice of life story about the power of small kindnesses. Use of a bouncy setting for the text punctuates the boy’s zest for life, while the grumpy man’s
Amy Layton
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
This was...........so cute......... With Christian Robinson's usual adorable style and Ashman's means of telling two stories that later convene, this makes for a fun tale of sharing perspectives and finding joy in the smaller things. With a stark difference between our main characters--an older white grumpy man and a young, excited child of color--the two also have already formed their opinions on the dreary weather and find their own ways to express themselves. But when their paths align, one ...more
Tori
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this book, an old man and a small boy go out in the same rainstorm but have two very different days as the old man views the storm with a negative attitude and the boy has fun with it. In the end, the boy's kindness brings the old man around to a new point of view.
Very few words per page, lots to discuss in the pictures. Brilliantly illustrated by Christian Robinson.
Used this one for storytime after two weeks of torrential rain in my city (with flooding). Told the kids there was nothing we
Vivian Romero
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Robinson’s vibrant hues combined with Ashman’s simple statements juxtapose the rainy day experiences of a curmudgeon and a free spirited young boy. “Blasted overcoat” versus “It’s raining frogs and pollywogs.” Guess who said what. Let’s just say the one wearing a frog beanie doesn’t exclaim “blasted.” The story takes a turn when these two worlds collide initiated by the kindness of the young boy. During an attempted act of kindness, the young boy forces the curmudgeon to face his dispersal of ...more
Samantha
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
- Cute simple story about young girl cheering up grumpy old man during a rain storm
- Shows how one simple act of kindness can turn around anyone's day
- Very contrasting illustrations with each character. Bright colors are given to the child whereas more dark and dull colors are given to the old grumpy man until his day is changed.

I enjoyed this book because I thought it was super adorable and a simple read but still conveyed a message of encouraging others. One small act of kindness can help
Katie
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is completely adorable and might make grown-ups feel sheepish about their bad attitudes! A rainy day is compared through two perspectives: that of a little boy, and an old man. While the little boy thinks of all of the fun things he can do, the old man finds lots of reason to be grumpy. Great way to show different perspectives, and the subtle idea that we actually don't *have* to think of things in a certain way - especially a negative one. The end is so utterly cute I don't want to ...more
Brooke Milone
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book shows how the old man was mad and grumpy with everyone being out in the rain. The little boy in the book loved it and enjoyed being outside in it. The old man and the boy meet each other at the end of the book and the little boy mocks him. The older man realizes how wrong it was to act that way and started jumping in puddles and enjoying his life. This book was very cute and made me smile when the old man started acting young again!
Katie
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book about how one attitude can change another. An older grump of a man looks at the rainy day as a bad thing, while the young lively child loves to play in the rain. When the two meet, the unexpected happens.

Recommended for:
Reading aloud one on one. Few words, and pictures that tell the story make this one hard for storytime use.
Would be great for discussing how your outlook can change a day, or how your mood may affect others.
This cute book is completely dependent on the illustrations to tell the story. A young boy is super excited about the rain and has fun splashing in puddles and pretending to be a frog. At the same time an older gentleman is grumpy about the rain and is irritable and complaining to everyone. If you are a fan of "picture walking" through a book with kids, this could make a fun read aloud and spark discussions of feelings and attitude.
Hannah
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was a weird read aloud. I asked a lot of questions about what the kids thought was happening in some of the pictures. I worked hard to make this a very interactive book, and I added some extra dialogue. But I had to give it five stars, because one of the parents told me after story time that she thought this book was an awesome choice for story time for building empathy and emotional intelligence.
Michelle
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Shows parallel stories of grumpy old man upset about the rain and a cute little boy excited about the rain. They literally bump into each other at a coffee shop, and meet up again when the boy hands the man the hat that he dropped. They switch hats, and the old man suddenly becomes playful and happy, pretending to be a frog like the little boy was doing earlier.
Angela
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On a rainy day, a crotchety man grumbles his way through the morning spreading gloom while a young boy hops through puddles sharing his grin with all he passes. Linda Ashman and Christian Robinson show in this delightful picture book how two different attitudes and mood can run off on the people we come in contact with. No matter the weather, try to spread sunshine.
Mia Valdez Quellhorst
Beautiful book that teaches how important attitude and perspective are. I happily read it to my son approximately 204 times. It also has an urban setting featuring a family of color, without being about that; high quality social-emotional learning texts for kids under three are hard to find. I'll be purchasing this one for our at home library.
Olivia Slykhuis
This is cute. A story about two different perspectives on a rainy day, and how you can change your attitude and change your whole day. Pictures are like construction paper cut-outs, which are kind of neat, might be good to tie in to a program to create similar style of pictures.
Diana
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime, kids
Tough as a read-aloud for a group because of the format, but the message is great and I couldn't resist. That little boy certainly has the right idea...and all us grown-ups need to LIGHTEN UP! lol

Content advisory: use of "blasted" and "dang"
Patricia McLaughlin
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This story would work better without the ageism that pits the grumpy old man against the enthusiastic young boy; a better contrast would be two young boys with differing attitudes toward the same phenomenon, be it rain or sunshine, etc.
Lindsay
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
One happy young boy and one crotchety old man. Both see their day in different ways, but through the young boys act of kindness ( and silliness) the old man is able to see that his day isn't as bad as he thought.
Megan
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read this about 30 times over the last few weeks so I'm counting it. I love how this teaches kids compassion, and that being friendly can help someone having a bad day. My daughter keeps asking for it and we are about to renew it from the library!
Byron Bibliotherapy
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Outstanding nearly wordless picture book exploring optimism and pessimism.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Carmela Full of Wishes
  • Albert's Quiet Quest
  • The House in the Night
  • Here, George!
Linda Ashman's children's books have been named to the "best of the year" lists of the New York Times, Parenting Magazine, Child Magazine, New York Public Library, the Bank Street College of Education, the IRA/CBC and more. She is also the author of The Nuts and Bolts Guide to Writing Picture Books .

Linda lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina with her husband, Jack Hicks, their son Jackson, and