Start by marking “The Look” as Want to Read:
The Look

The Look

Ted doesn't think of herself as glamorous. But her gorgeous sister Ava is. So when Ted seems to get spotted by a model agency, at the same time that Ava is diagnosed with cancer, things have clearly gone very wrong. Ted isn't interested in modelling, but Ava needs something to take her mind off her forthcoming treatment, and Ted's adventures in fashion might just be it. Bu ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by Scholastic (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Look, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Look

jv poore
I love this book. So much, in fact, that this review is surprisingly difficult for me to write. I don’t want to just gush about how much I enjoyed it, and I most certainly don’t want to give away too much.

The Look is an outstanding tale of two sisters, each experiencing life-altering changes that no one could have predicted. They turn to each other. Seeing the evolution of their relationship was tremendously satisfying. While the girls are completely different, they are both charismatic and love
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Geek Girl
5 Words: Family, fashion, love, tragedy, brave.

This book made me laugh and it made me cry. Often at the same time.

The Look masterfully weaves the world of fashion and modelling with high-school and the devastating effects of cancer on one so young. It's one hell of a read.

I felt a better person when I finished The Look, as though I myself had grown with the characters.

Ted is one hell of a great sister, an all round awesome girl. She suffers a little at school, but doesn't everyone? I only with t
Arushi
I read this book last year. I do not like chick-lits so I should have known better than to pick this one. Thankfully, I had borrowed it from the library, so I did not have to regret wasting money on it.

From the synopsis at the back, I was expecting it to be a light read and something I could complete in an hour or so. However, it was the author's attempt at dealing with issues such as cancer, the fashion industry, finance problems and body image. In my opinion, the author did not succeed at th
Luna
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-authors
The synopsis and cover are misleading. I was expecting this sugar-sweet story with a little drama and a happy yet predictable ending. That’s not at all what I got. Instead we have a very well thought out story focusing on Ted and her family with the modelling being about half of the overall package.

At times I found Ted’s continued insistence that she was ugly grating, particularly after the modelling took off but I did warm to her in the end. Ava is wonderful, I really worried about her as the c
Vicky
Original review: http://www.booksbiscuitsandtea.com/2012/03/review-look-sophia-bennett.html

The Look is without a doubt one of those books that will make you roar with laughter one minute, shed a few tears the next but most importantly, it will make you think and re-evaluate your life. I loved everything about it, from the characters and the plot to Bennett's writing style - just brilliant.

Writing from a 15-year old girl's point of view is quite risky and and it can go horribly wrong since many t
Chelsey Saatkamp
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasantly surprised by this one. I went in expecting the crazy drama of Meg Cabot but it was more like Sarah Dessen's YA characters meet a Jodi Picoult plot.

This book is less about the razzle-dazzle of the modeling industry and more about the close relationship between two sisters. From the synopsis I was ready for snooty, jealousy inspired conflict between Ted and Ava, but luckily we got nothing like that. The girls support each other the whole way through, and while Ted's modeling does cause
Beverley
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED The Look and I would encourage all teenage girls to get it when it comes out. I think it is perfect for Sophia’s older teenage fans (like me!) and is a wonderful step-up from the Threads books. Sophia Bennett has once again conjured up a beautifully glamorous masterpiece, full of dreams, hopes and heartbreak. And yes, it does live up to the bright pink page edges!

To see the full review follow this link:
Ella B.
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a twisting thrill through the life of a hectic family. One who is barely paid, one who was just laid off, one who is a soon to be covergirl, and one with lymphoma cancer. They all sacrifice for each other, but none of them can see what they really need to do for each other. When a medical crisis happens, they all realize that they shouldn't be mourning the loss, but spending the time together that they have left.
Bhavya
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool, fun, light summer read.
Zev
Mar 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read the book flap and understood it would be a sole-perspective story from the non-cancerous sister's point of view. I frowned, but thought the ideas of sisterhood, closeness, and worry about illness would be recurring themes. I wanted medical emergencies, hard decisions (work or family?), heartwarming sister moments, and tearjerkers.
I got none of these.
Five pages into the story, I knew how it would end and rolled my eyes. When a statistic was quoted the first time, I groaned out loud and kne
Vee ♔Under Mountain Books♔
Models and their unique life has always been a fascination of mine and I love watching programs about the real lives of models - standing in the freezing cold, being made to wear ridiculous outfits, running to go to the many 'go sees' that they have booked, dealing with difficult designers, it seems like a really hectic life. So I was really pleased when The Look dropped through my door and I got to read about the life of a young model too. The Look didn't gloss over the difficulty of being a mo ...more
Karen Barber
Quirky looking girl used to being ignored when with her beautiful sister is rather shocked when a scout for a model agency hands her a card.
Convinced it’s a scam she does nothing. Then her sister is revealed to have cancer-and Ted is convinced to give it a shot.
Some interesting info about the fashion world, though it all seemed too good to be true. I was, secretly, pleased when Ted stick with her sense of self and looked like she’d end up much much happier.
Snuggles  with Rainbows
Do not be fooled by the Synopsis folks. There are many layers to this book that the small plot summary doesn’t cover. Naturally I don’t expect the synopsis to give it all away, but I do want it to convey accurately a glimpse of what the reader is about to get herself into. This was not the case with this book.

Like many, I read the brief summary of the story, saw the gorgeous cover, and very greedily requested it. It looks and feels like chick lit and I love chick lit…so what could wrong? I imagi
Megan
The Look was one book I didn't plan on reading, despite the fact that it was getting quite a few great reviews from readers. At first glance, The Look gives the illusion of a short, sweet and fun read - nothing out of the ordinary. However, I found out soon enough that Sophia Bennett is no ordinary writer. Reading this will make you laugh, cry, and fall in love completely with the entire cast of characters.

Edwina "Ted" Trout isn't made of model material. Too tall, too skinny, and without much of
Estelle
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on Rather Be Reading Blog

As the younger sister, Ted has a tendency to follow Ava’s lead — no matter how crazy her ideas are. Even in the midst of the changes their family has overcome (their dad losing their job and them moving into a new, smaller home), Ava can still convince Ted to jingle a tambourine on the street in hopes of scoring some cash.

Instead, they get a melted piece of Starburst and a business card from a modeling scout… interested in Ted.

Now, when I first s
Lucy
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lucy by: Received from publisher
This review was originally posted at link: ChooseYA

The Look is one of those books that will either work well, or not work at all. Combining something many teenage girls dream about like modelling with a nightmare of cancer is a risk. So full credit to Sophia Bennett for pulling it off.

When Ted (Edwina) Trout is spotted by a modelling agency, she is certain it is a joke. Her sister, Ava, is the beautiful one after all. However, after her sister's shock diagnosis of cancer and with Ava's encourage
Sandra
The book I just finished reading is called “The Look”. The author of this book is Sophia Bennett. When I started reading it I didn’t really get the point but then when I got to the interesting stuff I couldn’t put the book down, in every class when I was done with all my work I would get my book out and start reading it. It’s about a girl named Ted or Edwina, everyone thinks that she is a boy but actually she’s not. She feels like she is being judged and nobody want’s to be friends with her. So ...more
Jay Uppal
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I won through Goodreads so thanks to Goodeads for this and it was a pretty amazing book. I just spent the whole day reading through it. It is a Teen book but it isn't your typical YA read as it has no magic or supernatural parts that you find in all YA books, it's more realistic and this along with the authors Excellent writing skills makes this book well worth a read and totally on par with any YA book I have ever read.

The story follows 15 year old Ted (Edwina) who has grown up i
Kirsty
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that I wasn't convinced that I would like this book. I have started a new thing where I read whatever I'm sent for review and I give up with it as soon as I'm bored, irritated or just don't care enough. I fully expected it to happen with book but I actually really enjoyed it and like it so much I'll be adding my copy to my own collection rather than sending it to be rehomed.

The funny thing is though I'm not sure I can put my finger on what I liked the most about it. For me this book
Kylani Campbell
I believe that the novel, The Look , by Sophia Bennett, was an okay book. When I saw the cover of the book, I thought that it'd be a really cool story. As I read the synopsis, I was even more hyped to begin the book because I thought it'd be amazing - I was kind of wrong. In the beginning, it was a bit confusing because it started with the two sisters, Ted and Ava Trout, playing instruments on the sidewalk for money. But, as I continued to read the story, it started to make sense. In my opinion ...more
Josie
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, ebook
Okay, this was predictable -- girl gets scouted and faces dilemma over whether she should go off and model, or be there for her sister who has cancer -- but it was wonderfully written. Ted was a brilliant MC -- gawky, self-deprecating, and completely clueless when it came to fashion. I thought it was awesome that she didn't just flop around hopelessly but proactively went out and studied magazines and books in order to learn more about the fashion/modelling industry. I thought it was even more a ...more
Barbara
Megan
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My summary:
Two sisters, Ted and Ava, living polar opposite worlds, find themselves growing closer together as something slowly tears the other apart, cancer. As Ava quickly finds herself slipping away, she thrusts her hand out to Ted to keep herself level, and attempts to get a little glimpse of her world, or what was supposed to be her world as it gets farther out of her reach. Ted, willing to do anything for Ava, gets a spontaneous opportunity that leads her to live the life that was meant for
Elsa Vargas
Sad but amazing. Not all the books have such an amazing story and give you a sad feeling at the same time. This book did. It took me one day to finish reading it. Amazing and sad that every time I would end a chapter, I couldn’t stop. I needed to know what would happen next. The author was so descriptive, and gave so many details. You felt like you were there when everything was happening. Every sad moment in the book I cried, and every exciting moment I smiled. Everything in the book was perfec ...more
Bell
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The look is a great book that has excitement, love, sisterhood and courage. I love this book so much because Sophia Bennett really captures real sister hood and what it is like to do what ever for your sister (that still dose not mean getting along all the time though) The book is about how Ted turns into a model but it is really about her relationship with her sister, Ava, and how she gets confidence and turns into her self. First she is a girl in high school who gets made fun of due to her kno ...more
Lucy - Brilliant Monsters
Really enjoyed this book, I am not particularly interested in reading about modelling but this book isn’t just about the fashion world. It has far more depth, the teenagers are believable and whilst they have problems like any other teenagers they are also dealing with a much bigger problem. The resilience & strength of young people is often underestimated and this book highlights just had incredible young people can be.
Lana Noval
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Look by Sophia Bennett is about two sisters, Ava and Ted. Ted was considered the “tall freak” and Ava had always been the pretty one. However, when Ava is diagnosed with cancer, all labels go out the window. From the moment she was diagnosed, everything started going wrong. Their dad lost their job and their mom is working way too hard, just to provide food and shelter. The Look delivers a message for impressionable young people who live in a perfectionist's world.

Justine
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I bought this book purely for the cover! It's magical. And bonus the story is about modelling which is something I love. I'm a die hard ANTM fan (until sadly Tyra got too crazy and the show was cancelled lol or that's how I feel it went down). I thought like a lot of others this would be a short sweet book but I was surprised it did have some depth. It was a fine read.
Melody Jane
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting, I got this book last year but decided reading it this January, it reminded me so much of someone i used to know.. and i love this book, the way the main character becomes something her sister always wanted to be, the two sisters looking after each other, the way the plot went was amazing, and blew me away.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Nine F book lovers: A review 1 2 Mar 30, 2014 06:37PM

• Emma Hearts LA (Hearts Series, #2)
  • Kiss, Date, Love, Hate
  • How to Keep a Boy as a Pet (Circe Shaw, #1)
  • Forever ME
  • Torn
  • Dark Parallel (The Joshua Files, #4)
  • griEVE
  • What's Up with Jody Barton?
  • Kidnap in the Caribbean (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #2)
  • Rockoholic
  • Accidentally Fabulous (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene, #3)
  • Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery
  • Surf Ache
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • Poison Heart
  • My So-Called Haunting (Afterlife, #2)
  • Dear Dylan
  • A Dream of Lights
My name’s Sophia, and I write about girls discovering their inner power. Sometimes they’re fashion designers, sometimes they’re would-be pop stars and sometimes they’re spies. They’re always a lot braver than they know, and I love it when they finally figure that out.

Since I won the Times/Chicken House competition in 2009 my books have been published around the world, from Germany to Brazil and Ja
“I think I'm supposed to "take a sad song and make it better," but that's beyond my musical ability” 19 likes
“It's funny how you can share a flat with someone and still miss them so much.” 5 likes