Start by marking “Dogs of War” as Want to Read:
Dogs of War

Dogs of War

Sheila Keenan's captivating stories, paired with Nathan Fox's stunning art, bring the heroic military actions of man's best friend to life!

Some war heroes heard the wind whistling over a hidden trip wire.
Some war heroes sniffed out a sniper 1,000 yards away.
Some war heroes stood tall . . . on four legs!

DOGS OF WAR is a graphic novel that tells the stories of the canine mil
Published October 29th 2013 by Graphix

To ask other readers questions about Dogs of War, please sign up.
Penny Murnane Yes, this graphic novel for young adults grades 6-8 is about three different dogs who aided their owners and others during WWI, WWII and the Vietnam W…moreYes, this graphic novel for young adults grades 6-8 is about three different dogs who aided their owners and others during WWI, WWII and the Vietnam War. It is three different short graphic stories which describe in great detail with illustrations and words the effects of war on humans and on the dogs. The first story is about a dog in WWI who works with his owner, an orphan, who was adopted by a doctor and his wife, at finding and rescuing injured soldiers. After a bomb or explosion the dog sniffs around for living people and alerts his owner to them so they can go rescue them. The second story is about a dog who is in Greenland with a troop who is building a base there to protect the Allies from impending troops from the Axis coming through Greenland to attack.
The final story is about how a dog comforts his owner who fought in Vietnam and returned to America suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome.
(less)

Start your review of Dogs of War
Lee G.
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crystal Bandel
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dogs of War by Sheila Keenan, illustrated by Nathan Fox, published 2013.

Historical fiction.

Graphic novel.

Grades 7-10.

Found via Booklist, reviewed by Francisca Goldsmith.

Dogs of War looks at three dogs who participated in military service during World War I, World War II, and the Vietnam War, as well as the impacts they had on their owners. "Boots" takes place during World War I, with a dog who was involved in the famous Christmas truce between the British and German soldiers. "Loki" is a sled do
Damon Kimball
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was really good this author did really good on drawing the pictures writing the dialogue and even narrating the book with the boxes in the pictures. Mrs. Morgan if you have already read this or haven't yet, it is sad and I give you a warning if you read it, but besides that, it is a really great book and I definitely will find more like this and more that I don't know at all.
Rokko Kuhtz
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has 3 interesting stories about dogs that were in wars. I rate to read this book, because you know more about history. It's kind of sad for the dogs (I almost cried), because they have to survive in the wars. When you read it you kind of know more about that wars are very sad...But it was very very interesting how they survive and that they travel allot.
Jackson
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
theme of the book was friendship because the men and there dogs are at war and they are best friends and are always looking out for each other in the war
TristanP.
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad for a graphic novel! The drawings were great. Each of the three stories told in this book was great. I like how the author would make a connection between the dog and the person in every story. I also liked how the author would take his time and split the book into three sections, to explain each dog in the book. Overall, the good was good.
Jenny
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, graphic-novel, dogs, war
Dogs of War is a graphic novel that looks into the lives of 3 service dogs and their trainers. Starting with a brief map orientation and time setting, each dog and young trainer is introduced and their war situation quickly unfolds in a series of action-filled panels that keep pages flipping.

This graphic novel seems to be aimed largely at boys between 3rd grade and middle school. It could be used with high school students who needed high interest material at a lower reading level or with student
Dario Arganese
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the way the author guided me into a realm of war including hospitality. I also love the fact that these three war dogs were not supposed to be close to the veteran, but in the end they were best friends. I highly recommend this book for anyone in the eighth grade and up!
Edward Sullivan
Three fictional stories about soldiers and dogs in World War I, World War II, and Vietnam. Fast-paced, action oriented historical fiction that will appeal to fans of dog stories and history buffs.
Kales
I should have known that a book with dogs was going to make me cry. I liked the structure and the format of this book. I thought the three different wars, from three different perspectives, through the lens of soldiers with dogs was a great idea.

The art in this was sharp and beautiful. It has a diverse range of characters -- no female soldiers though which I would have liked but given the three wars featured -- WWI, WWII, and Vietnam -- it makes sense. Also, the last story was a good introductio
Pam
Oct 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a graphic novel, so the pictures carry much of the narrative. There are three separate stories of dogs who served heroically in three different wars. Since it’s written for children (and my eight year old grandson recommended it), I was glad to see no dogs died in this book. But war in all its coarseness and violence is vividly displayed; the pictures are brutal and the conversation between soldiers is aggressive and harsh. I’m not sure how old children should be when they are introduced ...more
Wyatt J.
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dogs of War was a great book! It showed how dogs were very important in battle. I liked how the author put in three dogs in three different wars to show the job of each breed of dog and their connection to there owner. I would recommend this book to people who like war stories and dogs.
Sierra
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellently told stories about three dogs from three wars. Touching.
Joe Cee
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Graphic novel lovers
Great book about how dogs can help in the military.
Heather
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A stunning presentation of 3 heartbreaking stories.
Tom
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the stories about the dogs.
Rayyan Khan
It was great story. It tell about war dogs like how they help Soldiers.
George
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
My opinion of the book Dogs of War is that the book has nice pictures and good stories of the dogs that were in war. I would recommend this book to someone who likes to read graphic novels and likes dogs. My favorite passage from the book is when the character and his dog Loki are about to get spotted by the enemy and they have to sneak through the window and run away.
16nathana
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it

A non-fiction book is a book that contains true information on the world or may talk about different parts of history. Non-fiction books can also just state facts, like National Geographics books, which talk about random facts. Another example is a book called Chew On This which is a book about how bad fast food is and how you can live and eat better. Dogs Of War by Nathan Fox is a non-fiction book about 3 different dogs (Boots, Loki, and Sheba) in 3 different war including WW1, WW2, and the Vi
Raina
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
The professional review:
Military history, a variety of international settings, and animal adventure combine to tell three stories of working dogs during three different wars in the 20th century. We meet Boots - a mercy dog in World War I, Loki – a sled dog at an intelligence station in Greenland during World War II, and Sheba – a scout dog during the Vietnam War. Each story explores a different aspect of wartime, as well as (to varying degrees) some of the controversial issues of each war. The r
Josh
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, kindle, net-galley
I received a free copy through NetGalley. "Dogs of War" shares three stories of canines and their masters during times of war. The dogs highlighted are: Boots, a World War I medical dog; Loki, a sled dog used during World War II; and Sheba, a scout dog utilized during the Vietnam war. The stories different time periods and dogs help keep the story varied while still having that single link between them being a focus on dogs of war.

The book starts out with what is probably the strongest of the bu
Denis A.
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Three short stories about war dogs in WWI, WWII, and Vietnam. I enjoyed the last story about Sheba, a german shepherd war dog, that saw combat in Vietnam. The story is told thru the eyes of Vietnam Vet, Lanford, who befriends a little teenage boy learning to care for his own little puppy. The little boy, Henry strikes up a conversation with the vet, and Lanford tells about his war dog, Sheba. They both form a close bond as Lanford shows Henry how to train his dog, offering this bit of advice:
"T
Matthew Purnell
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is truly phenomenal, it is both heartbreaking and empowering at the same time. The artwork through three chapters by Nathan Fox (with the ample assistance of two colorists) makes the images of dogs, men, and war practically leap off the page. The reality of mud embedded within the trenches of WWI, the infinite amount of snow throughout Greenland during WWII, and the immense saturation caused by the jungles of Vietnam has never truly appeared as vividly as it does in this comic book/gra ...more
Phillip Vincent
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novels
This book tells the story of three "war dogs" from WWI, WWII, and Vietnam. If not for the last story, this is just a 3 star for me. The Vietnam story was a perfect way to end because it focused on the pain and brutality of war and how a dog can act as both a brother in arms and a therapeutic companion. The author and illustrator did an amazing job of adding layered meaning to this book.

The first two stories: 3 stars.
The last story (Vietnam): 5 stars.
Farel Dalrymple
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
war stories in general, not so much, but i am a real sucker for a good dog story, and i've been a fan of Nathan Fox's work for years. so i figured i would enjoy this comic. but it exceeded my high expectations. i was moved to tears by all three stories in this impressive comic book about friendship, humanity and true bravery. Sheila Keenan and nathan are a great creative team.
Newport Librarians
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Graphics are not my forte, as I repeatedly mention, but I feel bad scoring them since I have such a difficult time. I really liked the premise, but the first story had very difficult illustrations for me to follow. The other two were better. I think any teen that has an interest in dogs or war will love this.
Tony Miano
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
One of my daughters is a librarian for the City of Los Angeles. Yesterday she introduced me to graphic novels. "Dogs of War" was my first read in this genre. While a bit young for me, I genuinely enjoyed the stories. I have a particular fondness for K-9's. My dad was a K-9 handler in the Air Force. I have a wonderful album of pics of my dad with "Lupo."
Tom Gallione
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good fun read with all the fun illustrations! Entertaining and interesting read. This book was a moderately easy read because it was a graphic novel with multiple pictures on each page. I would recommend it to high school and middle school students. Definitely a good summer reading choice!
Nick Podzimek12
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about 3 dog that help save people lives in the line of duty
Becky
This an excellent collection of three short graphic stories about dogs at war: one in the trenches of WWI, one in Greenland during WWI, and one in Vietnam. The third story was particularly moving.
2015 Reading Chal...: Dogs of War by Sheila Keenan and Nathan Fox 1 7 Nov 11, 2015 07:43PM
2014 Hub Reading ...: Dogs of War 10 37 Jun 15, 2014 10:09AM

• Displacement
  • One Trick Pony
  • Tommysaurus Rex
  • The Silver Six
  • The Dodgeball Chronicles (Knights of the Lunch Table, #1)
  • Rapunzel's Revenge (Rapunzel's Revenge, #1)
  • Raid of No Return
  • War Brothers: The Graphic Novel
  • The Underground Abductor
  • Compass South (Four Points #1)
  • Comics Squad: Recess! (Comics Squad, #1)
Sheila Keenan earned a Master of Arts degree in English literature from the University of Massachusetts, and has continued studies in comparative religion and history. She is the author of fiction and nonfiction, including The Scholastic Encyclopedia of Women in the United States, which was hailed as “lively and visually exciting” by Booklist and was selected as a Notable Trade Book in the Field o ...more