Start by marking “Dogs of War” as Want to Read:
Dogs of War

Dogs of War

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,283 Ratings  ·  266 Reviews
Sheila Keenan's captivating stories, paired with Nathan Fox's stunning art, bring the heroic military actions of man's best friend to life!

Some war heroes heard the wind whistling over a hidden trip wire.
Some war heroes sniffed out a sniper 1,000 yards away.
Some war heroes stood tall . . . on four legs!

DOGS OF WAR is a graphic novel that tells the stories of the canine mil
Published October 29th 2013 by GRAPHIX

To ask other readers questions about Dogs of War, please sign up.
Penny Murnane Yes, this graphic novel for young adults grades 6-8 is about three different dogs who aided their owners and others during WWI, WWII and the Vietnam…moreYes, this graphic novel for young adults grades 6-8 is about three different dogs who aided their owners and others during WWI, WWII and the Vietnam War. It is three different short graphic stories which describe in great detail with illustrations and words the effects of war on humans and on the dogs. The first story is about a dog in WWI who works with his owner, an orphan, who was adopted by a doctor and his wife, at finding and rescuing injured soldiers. After a bomb or explosion the dog sniffs around for living people and alerts his owner to them so they can go rescue them. The second story is about a dog who is in Greenland with a troop who is building a base there to protect the Allies from impending troops from the Axis coming through Greenland to attack.
The final story is about how a dog comforts his owner who fought in Vietnam and returned to America suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome.
(less)

Crystal Bandel
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dogs of War by Sheila Keenan, illustrated by Nathan Fox, published 2013.

Historical fiction.

Graphic novel.

Grades 7-10.

Found via Booklist, reviewed by Francisca Goldsmith.

Dogs of War looks at three dogs who participated in military service during World War I, World War II, and the Vietnam War, as well as the impacts they had on their owners. "Boots" takes place during World War I, with a dog who was involved in the famous Christmas truce between the British and German soldiers. "Loki" is a sled do
Jenny
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, dogs, graphic-novel, war
Dogs of War is a graphic novel that looks into the lives of 3 service dogs and their trainers. Starting with a brief map orientation and time setting, each dog and young trainer is introduced and their war situation quickly unfolds in a series of action-filled panels that keep pages flipping.

This graphic novel seems to be aimed largely at boys between 3rd grade and middle school. It could be used with high school students who needed high interest material at a lower reading level or with student
Dario Arganese
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the way the author guided me into a realm of war including hospitality. I also love the fact that these three war dogs were not supposed to be close to the veteran, but in the end they were best friends. I highly recommend this book for anyone in the eighth grade and up!
Edward Sullivan
Three fictional stories about soldiers and dogs in World War I, World War II, and Vietnam. Fast-paced, action oriented historical fiction that will appeal to fans of dog stories and history buffs.
Joe Cee
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Graphic novel lovers
Great book about how dogs can help in the military.
Heather
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A stunning presentation of 3 heartbreaking stories.
Sierra
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellently told stories about three dogs from three wars. Touching.
16nathana
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it

A non-fiction book is a book that contains true information on the world or may talk about different parts of history. Non-fiction books can also just state facts, like National Geographics books, which talk about random facts. Another example is a book called Chew On This which is a book about how bad fast food is and how you can live and eat better. Dogs Of War by Nathan Fox is a non-fiction book about 3 different dogs (Boots, Loki, and Sheba) in 3 different war including WW1, WW2, and the Vi
Raina
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
The professional review:
Military history, a variety of international settings, and animal adventure combine to tell three stories of working dogs during three different wars in the 20th century. We meet Boots - a mercy dog in World War I, Loki – a sled dog at an intelligence station in Greenland during World War II, and Sheba – a scout dog during the Vietnam War. Each story explores a different aspect of wartime, as well as (to varying degrees) some of the controversial issues of each war. The r
Josh
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, kindle, net-galley
I received a free copy through NetGalley. "Dogs of War" shares three stories of canines and their masters during times of war. The dogs highlighted are: Boots, a World War I medical dog; Loki, a sled dog used during World War II; and Sheba, a scout dog utilized during the Vietnam war. The stories different time periods and dogs help keep the story varied while still having that single link between them being a focus on dogs of war.

The book starts out with what is probably the strongest of the bu
Denis A.
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Three short stories about war dogs in WWI, WWII, and Vietnam. I enjoyed the last story about Sheba, a german shepherd war dog, that saw combat in Vietnam. The story is told thru the eyes of Vietnam Vet, Lanford, who befriends a little teenage boy learning to care for his own little puppy. The little boy, Henry strikes up a conversation with the vet, and Lanford tells about his war dog, Sheba. They both form a close bond as Lanford shows Henry how to train his dog, offering this bit of advice:
"T
Matthew Purnell
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is truly phenomenal, it is both heartbreaking and empowering at the same time. The artwork through three chapters by Nathan Fox (with the ample assistance of two colorists) makes the images of dogs, men, and war practically leap off the page. The reality of mud embedded within the trenches of WWI, the infinite amount of snow throughout Greenland during WWII, and the immense saturation caused by the jungles of Vietnam has never truly appeared as vividly as it does in this comic book/gra ...more
Phillip Vincent
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novels
This book tells the story of three "war dogs" from WWI, WWII, and Vietnam. If not for the last story, this is just a 3 star for me. The Vietnam story was a perfect way to end because it focused on the pain and brutality of war and how a dog can act as both a brother in arms and a therapeutic companion. The author and illustrator did an amazing job of adding layered meaning to this book.

The first two stories: 3 stars.
The last story (Vietnam): 5 stars.
Newport Librarians
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Graphics are not my forte, as I repeatedly mention, but I feel bad scoring them since I have such a difficult time. I really liked the premise, but the first story had very difficult illustrations for me to follow. The other two were better. I think any teen that has an interest in dogs or war will love this.
Tony Miano
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
One of my daughters is a librarian for the City of Los Angeles. Yesterday she introduced me to graphic novels. "Dogs of War" was my first read in this genre. While a bit young for me, I genuinely enjoyed the stories. I have a particular fondness for K-9's. My dad was a K-9 handler in the Air Force. I have a wonderful album of pics of my dad with "Lupo."
Nick Podzimek12
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about 3 dog that help save people lives in the line of duty
Tom Gallione
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good fun read with all the fun illustrations! Entertaining and interesting read. This book was a moderately easy read because it was a graphic novel with multiple pictures on each page. I would recommend it to high school and middle school students. Definitely a good summer reading choice!
Becky
This an excellent collection of three short graphic stories about dogs at war: one in the trenches of WWI, one in Greenland during WWI, and one in Vietnam. The third story was particularly moving.
Moa
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dogs during wars... So faschinating, so intriging, so heroic.
Will
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is okay in my opinion but it needs a bit more exitement.
April Quezada
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dogs Of War is a grate book for dog lovers!I loved Loki because he
looks like my husky,his eyes and body.Loki takes place in a beautiful
landscape,were owls and other huskies.
Patrick Smith
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
My favorite dog was boots it showed the conditions of the trench warfare at the time, and a realistic glimpse at the events during Christmas.
Ben Walkush
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Klarissa Leon
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-books-of-20
Dogs of War is a compilation of 3 stories about dogs used in war. The scenarios cover the World War 1 and 2 and then the Vietnam War. In the first one, the dob named Boots helps a young boy who escaped from home and went to the war with his foster dad who is a doctor. He sneaked on the train and the Dr. decided it was easier to keep him than send him back home. The war is pretty gruesome and relentless. It is interesting in that the both the Germans and the Americans stopped fighting on Christma ...more
John Driscoll
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dogs of War gives readers 3 excellent stories of dogs and their human companions serving bravely in some of the worst military conflicts of the 20th century: World War 1, World War 2, and the Vietnam War. I highly recommend it to anyone with a love for animals, even if (like me) you're more of a cat person. It's a good reminder that dogs are loyal, loving companions and that we as a species do not deserve them.

The first story centers around Boots, a "mercy dog" in the first world war, specially
Soobie can't sleep at night
I own a second hand copy coming from the Windham Public Library, ME.

This popped up as a suggestion and I was curious about it because it deals with war and dogs... I've been reading few war books and I'm a dog-person. I do prefer works set during WW1 but I've read some WW2 too. The Vietname war is different: being Italian, I don't feel it the way I feel the other two. I mean, the Vietnam war is The Deer Hunter, Big Wednesday, Born on the 4th of July...

There is a short introduction to explain how
Lionel Jerry
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is talk about the dog is protecting his host in the war, and the dogs is always safe his host when his host almost die or have some danger problem.
The another dogs is a dog that I most love it because that dogs is finding the things in the plane with his host, but suddenly the ice is broke and the dog push his host out of the plane and himself is still inside, and the dog follow the plane into the sea and die.
Tony
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dogs of War by Sheila Keenan is a historical fiction book. This book has 3 different stories of dogs helping their owners in WW2. They are all in different perspectives from soldiers on other sides. I like this book. It is a graphic novel, making it easier to read, but it has advanced vocabulary, making it an 8th grade level book. It stayed interesting because it switched stories as it got boring.
Lucy K.
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought that dogs of war was a really good book. I like how the author described different wars and how different breeds of dogs worked in the wars each in their own ways, sniffing out dead bodies or explosive materials, or even bringing back things from the enemy. I think I would have preferred if the book just stuck with on war and one dog to talk about because I found the switching between stories a little confusing.
Jodie Warner
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-ya-fiction
I enjoyed Sheba's story the best and it nearly bought me to tears. I found some of the graphics difficult to follow- perhaps they were too dark or unclear- and therefore I found the story lines a bit unclear. But perhaps that's the nature of war and was the intention of the book?
A good one for graphic novel and animal fans
2015 Reading Chal...: Dogs of War by Sheila Keenan and Nathan Fox 1 6 Nov 11, 2015 07:43PM
2014 Hub Reading ...: Dogs of War 10 36 Jun 15, 2014 10:09AM
  • Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #4)
  • War Brothers: The Graphic Novel
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Rust Vol. 2: Secrets of the Cell
  • The Silver Six
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade
  • Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • Will & Whit
  • Above the Dreamless Dead: World War I in Poetry and Comics
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • The Lost Boy
  • Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • The Port Chicago 50: Disaster, Mutiny, and the Fight for Civil Rights
  • Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller
  • The Case of the Good Boy (Bad Machinery, #2)
  • Romeo and Juliet
Sheila Keenan earned a Master of Arts degree in English literature from the University of Massachusetts, and has continued studies in comparative religion and history. She is the author of fiction and nonfiction, including The Scholastic Encyclopedia of Women in the United States, which was hailed as “lively and visually exciting” by Booklist and was selected as a Notable Trade Book in the Field o ...more
More about Sheila Keenan

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)