Start by marking “A Baby of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Baby of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #1)

A Baby of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,924 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
What Delaney wants...
...is a baby.

A baby of her own. At thirty, she longs to break away from the constraints of her life. Longs to reach out for her heart's desire. She'd prefer marriage as well, but there's no man in Dundee, Idaho, she's interested in marrying.

Paperback, Harlequin Superromance #1083, 296 pages
Published September 1st 2002 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about A Baby of Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Baby of Her Own

Jacqueline
Fairly decent read. A lot of people aren't going to like it because the heroine starts out hoping to get pregnant by a one night stand not meaning to ever tell the father because she can't afford to go to a sperm bank. I didn't really have a problem with it because I understand the whole baby hunger thing and we do after all need something to hang our story on. I just wish that there had been more to them falling in love. It was sort of underwhelming. The hero held on to his anger too long and t ...more
Tia
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
For some reason I really liked this book. It was well written and had the right emotions intact with the characters and what they were experiencing. I love the fact that everything worked out for our hero and heroine, it was a beautiful book!
*TANYA*
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, fun book.
Dee
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
From A Sweet Life Boxed Set

Two-haiku review:

Virgin wants baby
Picks up guy in bar for sex
Then he moves to town

Mostly nice romance
I had unanswered questions
Three and a half stars
Patrice
I liked this book. Delaney is a 30-year-old “spinster” who always tries to do the “right thing” and be the “good girl” as she doesn’t want to disappoint the couple that took her in and the “town” that helped raise her. She was left alone in Dundee, at a very young age, when her unwed mother died. Her mother had been considered a woman of “loose morals”. The one thing Delaney wanted most in life was a family to call her own. She always felt like an outsider and someone that everyone was looking a ...more
Barb
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Then one winter night she and her best friend, Rebecca, go to Boise with the intent of finding a man for Delaney. She meets a handsome stranger named Conner, a man who might be able to provide her with the solution she needs...and the baby she wants!
Afterward she thinks s
Sarina Bowen
Usually sweet, small town romance leaves me cold. But the writing here is pretty darned good! So although the town felt fake, the people felt real. (Loved the best friend.)

And, let's face it, I'm a sucker for secret baby novels.

Poor Delancey! The hero is really hard on her for much of this book. Some readers probably had a hard time with that. But I found it realistic and compelling.

This book is part of the "Sweet Life" boxed set for Brenda Novak's charity.
Janie
Rating: 3.5 stars.

I rarely read Harlequin Superromance, because they tend to bore me. However, after reading too much jerk heroes and stories full of heartache and angst, I needed a detox and was out for a cute and easy read, where the hero did not act like a JERK.

Be careful what you wish for. I was left thirsting for Conner to do a complete 360, because I was getting too bored of his niceness. I know, I'm a little masochist.

Overall I enjoyed this book and it was an easy read.
Martel
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-read
OK, let's face it, it's not a piece of literature. It's the kind of book where you pretty much know the whole story before you read it. But that's exactly the point. Are you stressed up, in need of something light which won't solicit your brain cells too much ? That's exactly the book for you.
Perfect in audio, Carly Robins has a nice soothing voice, ideal when you have to do your housework or when you're gardening.
Carrie
This Kindle freebie was okay, even good in parts, but had such an absurd start that I never took the rest of the book seriously. The reader is to believe that the small town "good girl" decides that, since she's 31 and wants a baby, it would cause less scandal to go get pregnant by a stranger than use donor sperm. Really?

Some parts of the book are well done, but I never connected with either lead and the abrupt ending didn't help.
Melinda
Mar 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
I have to confess that I could not finish this. I cannot believe that this girl decided to sucker a man into helping her reach her dreams of having a baby ...without his consent. I just didn't like that at all so no matter how the book progresses, the taint is there. Insert sad face here. I hate not finishing books.
Gail
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming romance story filled with the wonderful residents of Dundee, Idaho. I have fallen in love with the small town of Dundee and it's residents especially Connor and Delaney since this is their story. A fast paced and enjoyable read. Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Dallas
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is not a literary masterpiece, it was a sweet, fluffy read and sometimes that is just what you need!
Nancy Stopper
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Baby of Her Own is a story of two people (Connor and Delaney) who are both feeling that they have no where to belong, and are fighting with everything they can to find that place, that family. Delaney has decided that a baby will give her someone guaranteed to love her; Connor believes he can prove himself to his uncles and grandfather with turning the ranch around.

The author gives us a glimpse, with Delaney, into what it was like to feel like she didn't belong anywhere, and as a result, she
Janice Liedl
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I knew, going in, that the central conceit was going to drive me crazy. Delaney is a 30 year old 'spinster' who wants to have a baby and decides to get pregnant by a random guy she picks up in Boise. Of course, he's not just some handsome Hugh Jackman lookalike drifter. No, Conner is a semi-bad-boy going good, and he happens to be heading for Delaney's hometown. So when she discovers that she's pregnant, she's confronted by her fling, who's not too happy to have been used. Subplots revolve aroun ...more
Aurora
Usually when I read a romance novel, I start with "Romance novels aren't my thing, so even though I didn't like this take my review with a grain of salt." This time I'm gonna start by saying even though romance novels aren't my thing, this book was dang entertaining and I kind of loved it.

The protagonist, Delaney, has a one night stand with a stranger to get pregnant. She thinks she'll never see him again and he'll never know, but things don't go quite as planned...

Don't get me wrong, this is no
Jerri thomas
Aug 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was disappointed. I was looking for a great romance without all the extra stuff, it was that...but it just wasn't a good read. The story had so many details but it lacked depth to the characters. Due to the authors writers ability you are able to visualize the setting, but you need more meat on the sandwich. The connection between the two was lacked chemistry. Because the physical connection between the two is not written in the book i felt you should have seen it on an emotional level so the ...more
Kasey
Aug 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Wow. I just can't get past what Delaney did. It was unforgivable regardless of her stellar I've never done anything wrong before history. I had a hard time believing this woman was thirty. She was beyond immature. I could rant through this entire review about the morality issues and immaturity of what Delaney did not to mention the reprecusions this act could have and did lead to but I'll move on. I couldn't blame Conner for his anger and resentment toward Delaney although to be honest the man w ...more
Ayu Wirdha
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it

Teman bisa menjerumuskan menjadi baik atau buruk. Kompor dari Rebecca membuat Delaney berani melakukan one night stand demi mendapatkan bayi drpd lewat bank sperma (lebih murah pula). Tapi ternyata Conner itu cucu pemilik ranch Y di Dundee yg disuruh kakeknya utk mengelolamlnya. Conner-nya terlalu drama deh, krn Delaney ga minta pertanggungjawaban soal bayi trus ngapain jg marah2 & nuduh Delaney bersekongkol dgn paman2nya utk mendapatkan uang. Karakter Delaney-nya memang dibuat baik2, tidak
Sparkle
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was part of an inexpensive boxed set. The premise renders the characters unlikeable. A financially challenged, thirty year old woman decides to have unprotected sex with a stranger for the sole purpose of having a child. She lies about who she is, where she's from and birth control. He believes her. Why does the town's 'good girl' do this? Despite having loving people in her life, she feels disconnected, lonely and wants someone to love. Too irresponsible, immature, and manipulative for a b ...more
Beth Lechman
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delaney Lawson's best friend is getting married and moving away. Delaney feels like she is all aloe and at thirty she doesn't think she will will ever find mister right ad have a family. Her best friend Rebecca talks her into seducing a complete stranger and that is when her life as she knew goes totally out of control.
Jenn (YeahOrNeighReviews)
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bn-books
Delaney wants nothing more than a baby to love, but she's getting to the age where she's losing hope it'll ever happen. With a little liquid courage and help from her friend, the travel away from their small town, in search of a one-night stand. What Delaney finds is a man more than willing to help her lose her virginity.
Afterwards, thing start to spiral out of control as the sperm donor she was never supposed to see again, ends up living in her town. Laughter and drama ensues, in a story so enc
Shannon
May 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I really love her books, but of all that I have read this is my least favorite so far. I think it was just the premise of the dishonesty from the beginning that turned me off and I couldn't get past it. Not a bad book, but just not a book that pulled me in.
Gayle
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read.
Judy Morris
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, excellent author. Love all her books. You will never be disappointed with her books. She is great
Niki
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
As you may see I read a lot of quick and easy romances. I have read Brenda Novak before and have liked her books. This is the story of a sweet virgin who wants a baby so heads out of town with her best friend to hook up with a one night stand. Of course the one night stand she meet she didn't know was in the hotel on his way to moving to her small town. What will happen when this rich CA boy sees her again and even more when he realizes she is pregnant?
Amy A
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got the book free for my kindle so I tought I'd give it a try. It was a pretty quick read. The whole premise was a little much to take in. Delaney (who's only 30 years p;d by the way) feels like she's headed into spinsterhood, but wants more than anything a family. She would love to have the perfect husband and have beautiful children, but feels it's impossible in the small town of Dundee, Idaho that she currently lives in. So instead of trying to find someone to date, maybe even adopting, she ...more
Beth
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Oh so cute. I half to read the next one now. Need to find out about Rebecca and the baby.
*3.5 stars

A Baby of Her Own was a cute and sweet story about a single woman, Delaney, who's afraid she'll never settle down and have a baby. So, she decides to have a one-night stand with a random guy, Conner, far from home, and ends up getting herself pregnant. Of course, problems arise when Conner ends up moving to Dundee, Delaney's hometown, and she ends up having to confront him about what she did.

It's an interesting premise, and it raises some intersting questions-- how far is a woman willi
Pam H
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, lib-dl, audio, hoopla, 2017
Cute story about Delaney a 30 year old virgin who decides to have a baby on her own...only the love him and leave him method didn't quite work. To her horror, the baby's father turns out to be the new hunk in town. Her friend Rebecca is sassy, bold and makes a great partner in crime.

The audio version was well done, the speaker's voice pleasant and did a decent job on the various male voices.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 15, 2017 04:08PM
  • Lone Star Trouble
  • My Lady Vixen
  • Cowboy Dad (The State of Parenthood #3)
  • Expectant Bride
  • Baby, I'm Back! (Return to Redemption, #2)
  • Walk on the Wild Side
  • Wife in the Shadows
  • A Mistake, a Prince and a Pregnancy
  • Light The Stars (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #1)
  • The Marriage Bed
  • Her Greek Romance
  • Love is all around (Looking for Love #1)
  • A Perfect Marriage
  • Forever After
  • Having the Billionaire's Baby
  • Bridleton
  • Twin Passions (Captive Brides #1)
  • Bet On Love
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

Dundee, Idaho (8 books)
  • A Husband of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #2)
  • A Family of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #3)
  • A Home of Her Own (Dundee, Idaho, #4)
  • Stranger in Town (Dundee, Idaho, #5)
  • Big Girls Don't Cry (Dundee, Idaho, #6)
  • The Other Woman (Dundee, Idaho, #7)
  • Coulda Been a Cowboy (Dundee, Idaho, #8)
“of taking what life gave her, she should take what she wanted from life.” 0 likes
“You’re like…you’re like Abraham Lincoln. Didn’t he walk some ungodly distance to return a penny? The store clerk probably thought he was an idiot.” 0 likes