Start by marking “The Longest Night: A Passover Story” as Want to Read:
The Longest Night: A Passover Story

The Longest Night: A Passover Story

Here's a picture book for all Jewish families to read while celebrating Passover. Unlike other Passover picture books that focus on the contemporary celebration of the holiday, or are children's haggadahs, this gorgeous picture book in verse follows the actual story of the Exodus. Told through the eyes of a young slave girl, author Laurel Snyder and illustrator Catia Chien ...more
Published February 12th 2013 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about The Longest Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Longest Night

Laurel
Jul 05, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it! So don't trust a word I say...
Elizabeth
As Megan B. commented, yay brown people :)

I really like this from the Author's Note -- "Yet when we told the story of the Exodus--the harrowing tale of how the Israelites fled Egypt and the only homes they'd ever known--we didn't get to hear much about all the people who ran. The story was mostly Moses and Pharaoh bargaining for the lives of everyone else. [...] I wondered what it was like for a kid back then, living each day as a slave, then suddenly dashing out into the desert. I wanted to kno
Gretchen
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Text to self – There are times when you think the day or night will never be over or you ask yourself, “How could this get any worse?” I have learned to never ask that question because things can get worse, and what you may think is the worst is nothing compared to someone else’s life. Be glad with what you have for it could always be worse.
Remembering – When the world changed and life became rearranged, what plagued the people? What terrible things happened?
Understanding – After going to the sq
Janet
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lavish, often emotional illustrations are the perfect accompaniment to the rhythmic, moving poetry that tells the tale of Passover. I admit that I only vaguely understood the story of Passover myself (I knew there was something about painting the door...or the house...or something?). Things I learned long ago came back to me as I read this story. Despite the tale's darkness, children will be comforted by the end, knowing they are part of something beautiful and whole.
Debbie
Mar 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book
The story of Passover (you know the one: slavery, plagues, Angel of Death) told in rhyming couplets?!? Really?!? It's truly terrible, one of those books that makes you wonder how some things ever get published.
Chris
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a Jewish story, read and interpreted by a non-Jew, but a non-Jew who worked in a Hebrew Day School for 12 years and loved to learn all the stories and traditions of Judaism. This story is written in couplets, with lovely rhythm in most places. It tells the story from the point-of-view of a Jewish slave girl through the plagues and parting of the sea. The language is beautiful, and when slowly and digested I loved it. I was not a fan of the illustrations, and I hate saying that, but they ...more
Tasha
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This Passover picture book tells the story of the Exodus from the point of view of a young slave girl. Readers first get a sense of the harsh environment and difficult lives of the Jewish people: the heat, the hard labor, the slavery. Then come the plagues, one after another. Finally there is the Exodus itself, the thrill and fear of fleeing in the darkness. And finally, the miracle of the sea splitting in two, giving them safe passage away from Egypt.

Written in rhyme, Snyder has created a book
The Styling Librarian
The Longest Night - A Passover Story by Laurel Snyder & Catia Chien - All Ages- I've been dying to read this book for quite some time, no disappointment here, except for the fact that I didn't have this book as a child! Beautiful illustrations open the book with a welcoming feel, author's note explains in a respectful way why Laurel was inspired to write the story, and careful yet appropriate choices were made for the retelling of the Passover story. I suggested using this book during the se ...more
Tara
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I normally don't enjoy "holiday" stories and I generally find the rhyming narrative cumbersome, so I was prepared to not enjoy this book.
WRONG! After two pages, I was immediately sucked in by the language and emotion of the story. They rhythm is pretty much perfect and Snyder's text is full...encompassing a historical story and creating a complex young character in a few simple pages. This story begs to be read aloud! It may be a little frightening for younger readers as the story builds a
Holly Mueller
This is a wonderful story told in verse and from a young slave girl's point of view about the Passover. The illustrations and power of Snyder's words weave together beautifully to depict what it must have been like to be part of the Exodus from Egypt. I loved the repetition of the line "Till the sea was ripped in two" and the joyful ending.
Nancy
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the story of the Jews' exodus from Egypt. The story follows a young Jewish slave girl during the ten plagues and the exodus. She lives under bleak conditions under forced labor. When the strange epidemic happens, it doesn't affect the Jews. They are able to escape their captors and find their way to a new land with hope for a better future.
Margie
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What will strike readers first is the lyrical language (you must read it aloud) used by Laurel Snyder to convey, from the viewpoint of a young slave girl, the life lived under Pharaoh's rule in Egypt, the ten plagues and the Exodus of the Jewish people. Paintings by Caita Chien surrounding these words beautifully enhance the child's voice.

My full review: http://bit.ly/YR0S7A
Elisabeth
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The tale of the Exodus was my favorite biblical passage growing up and I would have absolutely loved this book -- the Exodus seen through a Hebrew slave child's eyes. I love it now. A Church and Synagogue library must have!
Sarah Lombard
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
very beautiful children and family book about the history of passover. it was very poetic and looking thru it again on my ipad kindle app it had beautiful watercolor images. its a book id like to give as a gift even to an adult friend
Rachel Watkins
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, picture-book
Lovely biblical story of Exodus told from a young girl's point of view. Vibrant illustrations with dreamy soft edges lend themselves to this ancient tale. Don't miss the sweet author's note and vocabulary in the front.
Sondra Eklund
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a great idea! This is a description of the Exodus from the perspective of a little girl. The book starts in slavery and she watches the plagues to the parting of the Red Sea and freedom. I'm not crazy about it being done in rhyme, but this is a wonderful way to look at the story itself.
Debby
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written and beautifully illustrated Passover story. When my grandchildren and I were finished with it we donated the book to the nursery so the other children could enjoy it as well.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A beautifully told story of Passover.
Jasmine
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully illustrated children's book. Thanks a lot Goodreads!
Sam Bloom
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lovely text, gorgeous acrylics... an all-around attractive book.
Julie Esanu
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Finally, a beautiful, but very accessible, book about Passover.
Colby Sharp
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Beautiful in every way.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautifully told and illustrated.
Sharon Lawler
Beautiful telling of the Jewish exodus from Egypt.
Erica P
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
"The Longest Night: A Passover Story" is a Sydney Taylor Award book. This award recognizes books of Jewish content for children and teens, books that exemplify the highest literary standards while authentically portraying the Jewish experience. The genre of this book is a historical fiction picture book. Historical fiction is a fictional story that takes place in a particular time period in the past. Often the setting is real, but the characters are made up from the author's imagination. The tar ...more
Shawn
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Yikes! In my opinion, anything this biblical (locusts, plagues, etc.) should not be made into a children's picture book. I didn't realize this was a Passover story when I picked up the book.
Kevin Summers
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm too familiar with the Biblical story of Passover to connect with this book's interpretation of Passover.
Katie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good summary, retelling of the Passover Story.
Donna Mork
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely retelling of the time the Jews spent in Egypt as slaves and their release after the plagues. A first time to dance for one little girl with her newfound freedom.
Jordan Plank
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-230
I chose this book to be apart of my goodreads because it integrates some religious culture within the book. In class we discussed how in certain parts of the country some kids would not be at school during Passover. This would just be a book to breeze through to quickly explain what all the kids were doing for that week.

• Hanukkah Bear
  • Papa Is a Poet: A Story About Robert Frost
  • On the Wing
  • Little Mouse
  • Pug and Other Animal Poems
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?
  • Colorful Dreamer: The Story of Artist Henri Matisse
  • Happy Like Soccer
  • Penguin Cha-Cha
  • The Blessing Cup
  • Little Santa
Laurel Snyder is the author of six children's novels, "Orphan Island," "Seven Stories Up," "Bigger than a Bread Box," "Penny Dreadful," "Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains OR The Search for a Suitable Princess" and "Any Which Wall" (Random House) as well as many picture books, including "Charlie & Mouse," "The Forever Garden," "Swan, the life and dance of Anna Pavlova," and "Baxter, the Pig Wh ...more