Start by marking “Pug and Other Animal Poems” as Want to Read:
Pug and Other Animal Poems

Pug and Other Animal Poems

In the follow-up to the well-received Animal Poems, Pug: And Other Animal Poems examines a wide range of animal behavior, from the fleetingness of a fly sipping spilled milk to the constant steely presence of a powerful bull; the greedy meal of a street rat to a cat's quiet gift of a dead mouse on the doorstep. Steve Jenkins's bright collage art brings these small moments ...more
Published March 19th 2013 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Pug and Other Animal Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pug and Other Animal Poems

Richie Partington
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
PUG AND OTHER ANIMAL POEMS by Valerie Worth and Steve Jenkins, ill., Farrar Straus & Giroux, March 2013, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-374-35024-8

"PUG

Might call plug-ugly;
Perhaps because, for
Dogs, they look
A lot like people."

As I've written on previous occasions, I have an index card file box filled with canary-colored index cards upon each of which I've copied a favorite children's poem and the bibliographic i
Ann
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Move over Jack Prelutsky! In her lifetime, Valerie Worth wrote just about the finest poems for young readers in contemporary American Lit. And they didn't have to be rhyme-y, whimsical things. Worth's collected works, All the Small Poems and Fourteen More, is a classic. An inspired teacher could use Worth's poems to teach kids a genuine appreciation of poetry, even to reluctant readers and those with LDs. Hers are precise, simple poems that find in ordinary things Blake's universe in a grain of ...more
Melissa Mcavoy
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, poetry, 1st, 2nd, animals
Short poems on appx. twenty animals are illustrated by paper collages. The animals range from the prosaic to the exotic and the tone and perspective of the poems vary but always contain close observation and a spirit of inquiry.
Jesse
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a huge fan of poetry, but I loved this book! Granted, the poetry was definitely outshadowed by the amazing illustrations, but they were still enjoyable.
Lorna
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, poetry
Jenkins can pretty much illustrate anything and I will read it.
Savannah
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Title: Pug and Other Animal Poems
Author: Valerie Worth
Illustrator: Steve Jenkins
Genre: picture book of poems
Theme(s): pugs, animals, poetry, nature
Opening line/sentence: “Nearly a myth, his shady mask”

Brief Book Summary: This book has a collection of 18 free verse poems with illustrations to accompany them. Every poem is about a different animal that the author analyzes and then brings certain aspects of that animal into perspective. The connection between nature and animals is brought to light
Lindsay Niebuhr
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is an interesting compilation of multiple poems about pugs and various animals. I would give this book 3 out of five stars because of its interesting nature and multiple poems about children's favorite animals.
Susanne Davison
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiddy-lit
I enjoyed the illustrations very much!!!
MangoReads
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great collection of poems.My favorite poem is Opposum.Amazing collages by Steve Jenkins.A great book for 3rd grade and up.
Amy Lafleur Meyers
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Poetry rhymes about various animals are accompanied by colorful collage-like illustrations.
Molly Maloney
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Title: Pug: And Other Animal Poems
Author: Valerie Worth
Illustrator: Steve Jenkins
Genre: Poetry
Theme(s): Animals
Opening line/sentence: Nearly a myth, his shady mask, his flickering feet, his fiery tail; streaking the dark like a fabulous comet - famous, but seldom seen.
Brief Book Summary: This is a book full of poems. With every page turn, there is a new poem about an animal - such as a fox, cat bunny, and a bull.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Carlee Hallman (Children's Literature)
Shor
Heather Berk
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3-5-literature
Poetry Text: (Grades 3-5)
This was a humorous collection of poems about many different animals. Although it featured several dogs, it also ranged from tigers to birds and discussed animals of all shapes and sizes. It took a comical, realistic look at these creatures from a human perspective. For example, the author points out how the fleeting fox is seldom seen, rabbits keep their distance appearing in deep thought, and even how pugs resemble ugly humans. I appreciated the way that it made these
Wendy Nelson
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pug: And Other Animal Poems

Worth, V., & Jenkins, S. (2013). Pug: and other animal poems. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux.

School Library Journal Starred Review

Category: Poetry

I love pugs, so the cover of this book captured me instantly. In fact, the illustrations are delightful. Steve Jenkins employs collage in a way that makes the animal images appear three-dimensional and textural. Valerie Worth's poems, a different animal for each two-page spread, range from the "Awww! Cute!" dachshund who
Ashley Schiess
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-5-lit
Pug: And Other Animal Poems is a darling book of short poems, each about a different animal. It ranges from household pets, to insects, to animals most of us will only ever see in a zoo! Each poem describes the animal and uses beautiful language to describe the life it leads. The pictures area also very well done and have a construction-paper texture look to them, so they really pop off the page!

I think children would love this book, because it has short poems they can focus on, the pictures ar
Hannah Moles
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Steve Jenkins's, the author of this book, uses collage art with bright colors to bring moments of animal behavior to life. As the review of the book states, “[there is] a wide range of animal behavior, from the fleetingness of a fly sipping spilled milk to the constant steely presence of a powerful bull; the greedy meal of a street rat to a cat's quiet gift of a dead mouse on the doorstep.” I honestly couldn't say it any better myself. This book really shows the beauty in the small things. I rea ...more
Linda
I’m so envious of Steve Jenkin’s collage talents. The illustrations amaze. When examining the details, I always want to see his studio, with the unimaginable patterned and textured papers he must have. This book of 18 of Valerie Worth’s poems both informs and entertains. From learning of the MIA life of a fox to the interesting “home” of a toad Steve Jenkins, each of the poems show that Worth certainly knew what she was writing about. Having numerous rabbits in my new garden, a favorite is the p ...more
Nicole
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pug and Other Poems by Valerie Worth, illustrated by Steve Jenkins
Margaret Ferguson Books, 2013
40 pages
Poetry
Recommended for all ages!

Valerie Worth is a master or words. We know her for taking the simple and putting the most perfect words with it. Be it a chair or a cow, Valerie can help us see it and appreciate it in an entirely new way. So of course, we expect nothing less of her here! Each short animal poem in this little collection is as darling and as true as we could ever hope to find. An
Bracelle Trujillo
Primary (K-3)

School Library Journal starred 03/01/2013 (retrieved from titlewave)

This poetry book looks at animals in a slightly different way. Valerie Worth depicts animals by the experiences she has with them in addition to the way she sees them.

Pug and Other Animal Poems is a great book to use with AASL standard 1.3.2(Seek divergent perspectives during information gathering and assessment). It would not only provide a different perspective to thier own, but would also spawn an inquiry to vari
Beth
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that there's a pug on the cover, I have to admit, I liked Animal Poems better than Pug and Other Animal Poems, but not by much. Not only is the poetry in this book dripping with gorgeous language, but Steve Jenkins's paper cut-out illustrations feel so three-dimensional that they almost jump off the page. Other than the pug, the bengal tiger is my favorite illustration in the book. It is so complex and full of texture.
Stephanie Croaning
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Simple, yet highly descriptive poems about animals, combine with simple, yet detailed collage art to form the perfect poetry book for young readers. Recommended for kindergarten through 3rd grade.

Children could use these poems as a jumping off point for an animal research project. After I read "Wood Thrush," I immediately went on the internet to hear its call, which was so beautifully described in the poem. Five out of five stars.
Samantha
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Poems about animals both wild and domestic. There's a little bit of everything in this collection of poetry: warmth, humor, even a touch of sadness.

Favorites include "Fly" about a common house fly and "Bengal Tiger" about a regal beast caged in a zoo. Cut paper collage illustrations are incredibly detailed and bring beauty to each animal while the variety of materials used adds delicious texture and depth.
Kristen
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
The illustrations are gorgeous, no doubt about that, but I wasn't very inspired by the poems themselves. Based on the strength of the poetry, this would have been a 2 star book for me, but the illustrations bumped it up to 3. (I'm really wondering what's wrong with me, as everyone else seems to love this book--maybe I'll try it again a little later and see if my opinion changes.)
Kris
Well-known, prolific and talented paper artist Steve Jenkins brings to life a follow-up collection to Animal Poems by the late Valerie Worth. Jenkins' work is expressive and accurate, bringing depth and texture to his cut-paper illustrations. A great choice to share with children of all ages.
Liz B
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
These poems, with their style of close observation and clever comparison, are both immediately accessible to most children and worth a closer look in terms of use of language and the way they help us to see our world in new ways. For me, the art was too static for the power of the poems, but then that is not what I am most interested in for picture books.
Brienz Wilkening
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 689
This is a poetry book with different short poems about animals. Some of the poems are very cute, one about a mouse, I don't feel would be the best to talk about in a class setting. These poems do not rhyme but they all show different types of poems. This would be a good book to show kids that not all poems have to rhyme.
Paul Farbman
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: First - Second Grade
My favorite poems in this book were Fox and Bull.

The s and f sounds used give a good sound quality to Fox. He is compared to a mythical character, and words like fiery, streaking, and famous present him in an epic manner.

I enjoyed the metaphor that compares the rough hewn bull to hard rock cut from the Earth.
Becca
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Topics : animals
Characters : cute animals
Classroom relevance : poetry book with nice illustrations
Grade level(s) : kindergarten+

This short book of poetry describes the antics of different animals, accompanied by collage art illustrations.
Holly Mueller
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just love Steve Jenkins's paper collage illustrations. My favorite in this poetry collection about animals is the tiger. Valerie Worth's observations of the beauty of the animal kingdom are at times amusing, brutal, simple, and beautiful. Kids will enjoy this one a lot!
Karen Arendt
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These are some of the best animal poems! The poems capture the intrinsic elements of each animal some with humor, some with beauty. Jenkins' illustrations are absolutely captivating. Savor each detail of the paper cut illustrations before and after reading the poem.
Bethe
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
Some of the poems worked better for me than others, loved the illustrations on a plain bright background. Jenkins always does a great job - the opossum and the fly are realistic enough to gross me out!
  • Stardines Swim High Across the Sky: and Other Poems
  • Daniel Finds a Poem
  • When Thunder Comes: Poems for Civil Rights Leaders
  • Step Gently Out
  • Firefly July: A Year of Very Short Poems
  • When Stravinsky Met Nijinsky: Two Artists, Their Ballet, and One Extraordinary Riot
  • BookSpeak!: Poems about Books
  • Look Up!: Bird-Watching in Your Own Backyard
  • Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices
(October 29, 1933 - July 31, 1994)
Acclaimed poet Valerie Worth Bahlke was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and grew up in nearby Swarthmore, where her father taught biology at Swarthmore College. The family then moved to Tampa, Florida, and Bangalore, India, where they lived for one year. Valerie returned to Swarthmore to attend college, graduating with an English degree and High Honors. Shortl