Start by marking “The Cat on the Mat Is Flat” as Want to Read:

The Cat on the Mat Is Flat

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  812 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Muck?! Uck! YUCK!

Is it just bad luck
when the truck of a duck
gets stuck in the muck?

Nine silly rhymes,
and a pig that slimes,
from a writer voted BEST
by The New York Times!

WARNING:  This book may self-destruct if used to teach a lesson.

“…The rat chased the cat.
The rat chased the cat with the baseball bat.
Around
and around
and around the mat
the rat chased the cat with
Published August 21st 2007 by Feiwel and Friends

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe BFG by Roald DahlThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
wow
77 books — 12 voters
The Amazing Super Great Awesome Incredible Fantastic Space Race! by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Enchanted River Race by Caldric BlackwellThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisWhat Daddy Did Today by Walter Wally
Kids books
158 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary Ann
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1st, 2nd, kindergarten, humor
fantastic book for early readers who want to feel like they're reading a big chapter book. controlled vocabulary (all rhyming, short words - would support a phonics approach very well) but humor that kids will love
Hallie Bourke
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was very easy to read but is was funny at the same time.
Martin Goranov
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it was a prety mych funny one!
Flash
The book was read.
And then I went to bed.
It was good in my head.
The cat is dead.

No cats were harmed in the writing of this review.
Tina Reitz
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really cute for those new readers! With great sight words and popcorn words.
Valerie
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Summary:
In this collection of nine short stories written in poetic verse, Griffiths uses repetitive text to create simplistic, but quite humorous tales. Some of the titles are "The Cat, The Mat, The Rat, and the Baseball Bat, Ed and Ted and Ted's Dog Fred, and Frog on a Log in a Bog." Similar to Dr. Seuess' use of simplistic rhyming stories, Griffiths work is written in a cyclical manner (almost like a tongue twister), needing to be read more than once to grasp his meaning. For example from "Ed
Katie
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginning or Reluctant Readers
Blurbs from a Bibliophile

This collection of humorous rhyming stories is sure to capture the attention of your young ones. There are nine short stories together in this book all of which have a heavy emphasis on rhyming words. Some of the stories even feel a little like tongue twisters with all the rhyming words.

This would be a great text to use with early elementary students to practice identifying and recognizing rhyming words and patterns.

Do you have a
Ms. Kelly
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
With great humor and what is quickly becoming a classic mixture of comic drawings and traditional book layouts, this book is the perfect step up from Bob Books. In fact, they employ many of the same word combinations, except they are not NEARLY as babyish.

For kids who perhaps struggle with sounding out words, and conceptualizing reading, and even just might not enjoy reading yet, this could be the perfect bridge. It is packaged like a big kid book. Nice cover, artwork is not at all babyish, yet
Chris

My Comments:
The modern day version of Dr. Seuss with cuter pictures and easier text. This book is a series of short "chapters" about animals with rhyming names, like "Frog on a Log in a Bog" and the story goes on from there using as many "alike" words as the author can think of and more! A great first reader that would not at all be boring. Good for K-1st grade. Scribbly line drawings of frantic, stick-limbed figures add appropriately manic touches. The only problem for me is that it is shelved
Christy
Isabella's review #4 of 1000: I like the book because it was funny. My favorite one was
"Pinky Ponky,
The Shonky.
Wonky,
Bonky
Donkey"

because her legs are wonky, her brain is bonky, her tail is shonky and because she is a donkey. I like donkeys becuase they have stuff that you can pull and you can sit on them and ride them like horses. I know someone that sat on a donkey: Carmen from church.

In one of the stories someone says yee-haw to a pig.

100 stars.

love, Isabealla.
to the reader.
Dree
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is a collection of funny tongue-twisting rhymes. And I was reading them out loud, so trust me when I say tongue-twisting. "The Cat, The Mat, The Rat, and The Baseball Bat" was my 6yo's favorite.

I would have given this four stars, but the last rhyme, "Andy G, Terry D, the Brave Tea Lady, and the Evil Bee" struck me as being a ripoff of the book A Fly Went By (which I have read many many MANY times). Just much much shorter.
Diana
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Using a fun, relaxed combination of illustration and minimal wording, this collection of very simple stories uses rhyming and rhythm to allow young readers to feel the accomplishment of reading a chapter book. The stories are very simple and silly - young kids find them hilarious but even adults will chuckle.

This book, and other works from this writing team, will be a go to recommendation for me from now on - for new young readers looking for a challenge and those reluctant readers who might st
Erin Ewing
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Cat on the Mat is Flat has the look of a chapter book but is actually composed of short, Seuss-like easy text tongue twisters . Reading them aloud is a hoot and is very addicting. Although the text is very easy (1st grade level) the content is a bit edgy making this a great book for older reluctant readers. The illustrations are rudimentary and hilarious to match the laugh-out-loud text. This message accompanied one of the reviews: WARNING: This book may self-destruct if used to teach a less ...more
Summer
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a book for beginner readers. I wasn't aware of that when I picked it up. It isn't very well advertised as a collection of stories, but I suppose that's my fault as I'm unfamiliar with the author. I listened to the audio. Stieg Wemyss, the narrator for the audio, is really very funny; I liked the 'behind-the-scenes' he added to each silly story. I'm sure kids would find this more entertaining than I did. I liked the story of "Ed, Ted, and Ted's dog Fred" the best.
Lauren Soucy
Dec 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm not really sure how to catalog this book. It is essentially an early reader but not a good fit for that section in my library. I do think this is a great example of high-interest low level. I think you could give this to many kids (probably boys more than girls) who are reading way below grade level and they wouldn't feel like they had a "baby book". The drawings are funny and a bit crude, which I think kids will think is cool. But they do a good job reflecting the meaning of the text.
Margaux
This book is, in my mind, in a category all it's own. The author writes for the niche audience of early elementary schoolers who might be struggling with reading. Because it's in chapter book format, children need not be embarrassed for reading below their level. Can easily be disguised as a Captain Underpants read-alike with the playful doodle-esque illustrations.
Lauren
A collection of nine amusing and heavily rhyming poems by Austrailan comedian Andy Griffiths, this is for anyone that wanted to take Green Eggs and Ham to the next level. Great for read alouds, teaching phonemic awareness, and just having a good old laugh, fans of Suess or Shel Silverstein will get a kick out it. I think it could have benefited from some slightly less hastily drawn illustrations, but you could argue that the doodles are part of the charm.
Jess
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't giggle like I did with The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow. This one had rhymes to the point that I hated them, something like a combination of Dr. Seuss and Dick and Jane.

The muck-sucking truck pages were, well, really? One of the pages is "It sucked and sucked and sucked and sucked until all the muck had been sucked up." Really?
Laurie
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a PERFECT find for my 1st grader. It is a book of silly rhymes with silly sketches. It starts out fairly easy to read and then gets a bit more difficult. It really helped with his speed and fluency, and it made both of us laugh out loud. The book is quite thick (166 pages) and he feels proud reading such a big book, even though it is fairly easy to get through. And I know that he will want to read it over again and again. It is my favorite book for this age group. LOVE IT!!!
Erin
I read this book to my second graders and we had so much fun with it! Would make a great chapter book for reluctant readers.

September 2013 - Just re-read this book with my 6 year old daughter, and for the life of me cannot remember what I liked so much about it when I shared it with my 2nd graders. This time around it seemed too violent... Goes to show you how much your mood and frame of mind at the time of reading something can impact how you feel about it!
Marta-Kate Jackson
"Around and around and around the mat the rat chased the cat with a baseball bat until...KERSPLAT!" I can't think of a better book for boys who are struggling readers or simply reluctant ones. These silly rhymes are fun to share and can be quite the tongue twisters. I would definitely recommend this one to those who are dying to read Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but not quite ready for the reading level.
Amy
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think I just read more than 2 books in 24 hours! Ohohoh! A great success!! Yohooooo! This one is pretty funny! It rhymes and the stories are quite interesting! There a few stories in this book and I have 2 fav, Duck in a truck in the muck and Ed and Ted's and Ted's dog Fred! This is a good book for children to read! 4 stars!
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fun, funny, and quick read. "And that's the story of Pinky Ponky, the shonky, wonky, bonky donkey." Nine more short stories romp through rhymes and fun in a way that will definitely appeal to new readers and their patient read aloud listeners. A great choice for kids in grades 1 and 2, though older readers will probably accidentally pick it up and enjoy it as well.
Mckelle
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for learning readers. It has a lot of repetition of words and word endings to help the young guys, yet it is also a lot of fun. My kindergartner loves to be read to, but isn't yet crazy about reading himself. This is the only book thus far that he has actually wanted to read. I'm a fan!
Judi Paradis
Dec 19, 2009 rated it liked it
FUNNY! This is a great book for kids just learning to read and kids who love graphic novels. It looks like a chapter book, but contains 9 very silly, rhyming stories such as Unlucky Lou, A Kind Kangaroo, A Hole in a Shoe, and some Extra-Super-Fast Sticking Super-Roo-Glue. I don't expect this book will be in the library very often.
Sharon
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a gift from some friends is Australia who have kids the same age as ours. It's a cute chapter book in which each chapter uses a different set of rhyming words. Very silly stories accompanied by pen and ink drawings. The boys like the book, but they enjoy the silly quizzes at the end almost as much and will sit on the stairs for 20 minutes reading the questions to each other.
Miss Ryoko
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book, poetry
I loved this book! The poems in this one were far better than the first book (The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow). The poems ended much better, I felt they had good closure. The last poem (Andy G, Terry D, The Brave Tea Lady, and the Evil Bea) was my favorite. It was super cute, but I liked the fact it was about the author and illustrator! It was fantastic!
Katie
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is Shel Silverstein meets Dr. Seuss... sort of. This children's book is as much fun to read out loud as it is to hear it read. Because of the cover, which is a little dark, my five-year-old daughter wasn't originally interested. But when it was my turn to choose the book I chose this one and before we were done with the first rhyming story, she was captivated. Highly recommended.
B
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: j-humorous, j-graphic
Nine silly rhymes with comical drawings..each page has a few lines and drawings so you can read in less than 30 minutes even though it has 166 pages! Kind of hit or miss with the humor but kids might get into it more than this adult did. For lovers of Captain Underpants, and younger readers of Diary of a Wimpy kid.
  • Cat the Cat, Who is That?
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Henry and Mudge and the Big Sleepover (Henry and Mudge, #28)
  • Orangutan Tongs: Poems to Tangle Your Tongue
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • Enemy Spy (Shredderman, #4)
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Fly Guy vs. the Flyswatter! (Fly Guy, #10)
  • Puppy Love (Babymouse, #8)
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Scary Tales to Read Together
  • Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt
  • The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #1)
  • Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
Andy Griffiths is Australia’s most popular children’s writer. He is the author of over 20 books, including nonsense verse, short stories, comic novels and plays. Over the past 15 years Andy’s books have been New York Times bestsellers, won over 50 children’s choice awards, been adapted as a television cartoon series and sold over 5 million copies worldwide.

Andy is best known as the author of the