Start by marking “The Dreamwalker's Child” as Want to Read:
The Dreamwalker's Child

The Dreamwalker's Child

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  260 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Fifteen-year-old Sam Palmer's life is dull--until a bizarre bicycle accident leaves him in a coma. Sam awakens in Aurobon, a world eerily similar to his own, only to discover that his accident was part of an elaborate abduction by a ruler with a deadly agenda. Now Sam must team up with a fearless girl pilot to outwit the enemy. Otherwise, dark forces will invade his own wo ...more
Published April 30th 2006 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 2005)

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanDivergent by Veronica RothThe Ruins of Gorlan by John FlanaganCinder by Marissa Meyer
Lighthearted
122 books — 37 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareLegend by Marie LuAlanna by Tamora Pierce
Awsome Action
98 books — 145 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate McMurry
Fascinating YA Fantasy with a Science-Fiction Feel

Young teen Sam Palmer is a geeky recluse who is somewhat embarrassed by his obsession with insects. He's also amazed, and slightly freaked out, that his fascination seems to be reciprocal. Insects follow him everywhere. They never hurt him, though, until the day he sees a strange cloud of wasps, feels a sting on his neck, and blacks out. The next thing he knows, Sam is in a strange marsh in the middle of nowhere, in the dead of night, and the onl
Alison
Sam Palmer and his family have just moved to the country. Sam is bored and fed up, missing his friends and the social life he had in the city. He has always been interested in insects, but now he has become hyper-aware of them, almost to the point of obsession. One summer Saturday he decides that instead of letting the insects follow him, he will follow them, and see where they are coming from. Little does he know that they are slipping between the fabric of our world and the connected world of ...more
Eilonwy
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was ok

Maybe 2-1/2 stars.

The story was weird, the mythology was intriguing, and the action was non-stop, so I got through this book pretty quickly. But it didn't feel very satisfying in the end, and I couldn't be bothered to see if there were any sequels (which there doesn't seem to be -- but was this really intended as a standalone?). I was really surprised when I learned that there was a bidding war among publishers for this book -- it was all right, but not that great.
Sophie Cox
The dream-walker's child is an easy read with a very good world concept. The book has some really good and interesting ideas that I haven't seen before. This gives the book a fresh new feel to it. The reading style drags you into the action and is immersive in its style.
The plot is good, though it feels like it moves too quickly at some points where I feel like it could have gone into more detail especially in the end conflict.
The characters are good and are interesting though I feel like they
Kiran
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet, refreshing premise, with fun characters! I got surprisingly attached to the characters given how short the story was, and the emotion was very tangible. The world building was unique; it felt like something out of one of my dreams, both moderately bizarre and yet following logic in its own way. I wonder if the premise actually came from a dream.

I would have liked longer to get to know the characters better and know more about the world (there's a mysterious people who are talked about a
Lois
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Read it one afternoon when I had nothing else to read and found in a hotel room. Pretty much a kids book but was entertaining enough for a few hours!
Aelvana
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Sam Palmer had a rough time after his family moved and he lost all his friends, but even he isn't sure why he's suddenly fascinated with insects. But it turns out the fascination is mutual---and not all of the insects are what they seem. In the world of Aurobon, insects are the size of planes and flown by human pilots. And Sam, as the Dreamwalker's Child, is part of a prophecy that predicts he will rise against the Darkness. Different forces have different ideas of what that prophecy means, but ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Insects aren't my favourite creatures, and some of them I loathe. For example, cockroaches and silverfish and earwigs. Various others cause me to shudder, and moths that blat about like mad things put me into a panic. Even thinking about some insects makes my scalp crawl.

So reading a book with insects as a primary narrative focus isn't something I would ordinarily do. However, something about this book intrigued me so I decided to give it a go.

I was glad that the insects weren't sentient. I'd be
Alina
Jun 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty bad. The whole story was way too short and it didn't make much sense. The prophecy was neither explained nor resolved. Events were just described in the shortest amount and I never really felt with any of the characters nor did the bad guy ever get that much time to be really bad. The blurb suggested the villain was this military dictator but somehow, another guy was more evil, yet both never really felt like great baddies.

Stuff like the dream walking were never explained and se
Jodie Downes
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow! Definitely a book with a different storyline, a great book - one to be read! I bought this book on a whim in a cheap book store on holiday and I'm so glad that I did. Sam, the main character, ends up stranded on unfamiliar land following a random accident in the "real world". Soon he realises it was no accident and in fact, he has been embroiled in a war of the insect world. Here he meets Skipper, a girl he instantly has an affinity with. A story that really does capture your imagination, c ...more
Charlotte
Katherine Hetzel
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
The premise of the story is OK - boy in a coma in this world, but his soul/core/being is transported to another, miniature world, where insects are used as airplanes.

At times, it felt a bit like I was being lectured about insect physiology and behaviour,there were big chunks of back story explained to the MC throughout, and there were certain areas (like when the MC gets trained in piloting wasps...yep, really!) that were glossed over, when I'd have liked to experience it through the MC. I found
Tracey
Sep 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s

I have have been meaning to read this book for ages but never got round to it, I think the cover put me off a bit.. yes I admit it I choose books by their covers. However I picked it up in the weekend when I didn't have anything else to read and then I couldn't put it down. Sam's adventure is fast paced and fun. There are goodies and baddies and an evil plot to destroy humankind along with insect fighter jets...what more could you want from a action adventure story.
Jayne
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It had some good ideas in here but I felt the story was ruined by the preachy "humans are ruining the world and we're all gonna die because of it."

Sam was almost a great character. I wanted him to be more like Skipper. She is exactly the kind of character I like - strong, self-motivated, inventive, get's the job done and doesn't whine.

Obvious first book.
Beth
May 29, 2008 rated it liked it
After a traffic accident sends him into a coma, a boy with an intense interest in insects travels to another world where fighters pilot horseflies & wasps and battle to destroy or preserve the human race.
Susan
Dec 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Sci-fi. Fifteen-year-old Sam is involved in an accident that leaves him in a coma. He wakes up in a world where insects are their substitute for airplanes. A group there is trying to rid the world of people. After all, we are poluting and destroying the world so do not deserve it.
Andrew
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great book! I read it a few years ago, so I don't remember it too well, but I do remember that I loved it! A great book. I think I'm going to read it again!
Jacob
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1st-quarter
I LOVED this book. It was filled with a ton of action and humor, but was very sad at some times.
Siabhaon
Apr 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: relistic, mystery
Not as good as The Starlight conspiracy. Well not really good at all.
Emma
Dec 14, 2011 added it
Fawn Rasmussen
May 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Wasn't my style at all. I hoped it would get more interesting but it didn't. I don't think I was the type of audience the author wanted to attract though.
Riley
Sep 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Dreamwalker's Child" is a good book and I think you should read it to find out whats happens. It is by Steve Voake. Go read it!!!
Heather
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2007
Not a big fan of this one.
Mar 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it when I was younger, don't remember much about it now apart from it was one of the only books I enjoyed.
Samuel
Oct 15, 2008 rated it liked it
kind of good. a little less well written for middle schoolers, but great science fiction/fantasy book.
Brandee Terry
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
A quick and easy read but definitely interesting. The story was a unique one which seems harder to accomplish these days. I would reccommend it for a younger audience but it was enjoyable.
Mikayla
Shona Urquhart
May 20, 2013
Misbah Mahmood
Aug 05, 2013
  • The Between (Changeling's Choice, #1)
  • Wolf Mark
  • Vulture's Wake
  • The Haunting of Pico
  • Forget You (Demon Underground #4.5)
  • Also Known as Rowan Pohi
  • Finding You
  • Nowhere Girl
  • Generation Green: The Ultimate Teen Guide to Living an Eco-Friendly Life
  • Blue Violet (Svatura, #1)
  • Star Dancer (Star Dancer Quartet #1)
  • The Trouble With Dating Sue (Grover Beach Team, #6)
  • Witch Dreams
  • Messed Up
  • Strawberry Hill
  • Blue Fingers: A Ninja's Tale
  • The Sleeping Army
  • The Great Hamster Massacre
Steve Voake is the author of all the Daisy Dawson books, as well as two novels for older readers. He lives in Somerset, England.
“Relax. They're not going to kill us. They're going to TRY and kill us. And that is a very different thing.” 64 likes
“Well, we all like things to be predictable, don't we? We expect things to be safe and to keep on happening just the way they always have. We expect the sun to rise in the morning. We expect to get up, survive the day and finish up back in bed at the end of it, ready to start all over again the next day. But maybe that's just a trick we play on ourselves, our way of making life seem ordinary. Because the truth is, life is so extraordinary that for most of hte time we can't bring ourselves to look at it. It's too bright and it hurts our eyes. The fact of the matter is that nothing is ever certain. But most people never find that out until the ground suddenly disappears from beneath their feet.” 17 likes