Start by marking “The Trouble with Flirting” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Flirting

The Trouble with Flirting

Franny's supposed to be working this summer, not flirting. But you can't blame her when guys like Alex and Harry are around. . . .

Franny Pearson never dreamed she'd be attending the prestigious Mansfield Summer Theater Program. And she's not, exactly. She's working for her aunt, the resident costume designer. But sewing her fingers to the bone does give her an opportunity
Published February 26th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Flirting, please sign up.
K8 Slightly different, but definitely the same models!! Good eye

Anesha †Curious & Obsessive Bookworm†
Blah...May contain spoiler and rambling(of course)

I really, really wish today was a weekend

I started reading this book late last night and didn't go to sleep until 3AM...knowing I had to wake up at SIX to get ready for work (since I take forever to get ready - i usually have to get an extra early start xD)

This book had me going:

And then...BAM it was over...and then when it ended - something in me broke..I became an emotional wreck dammit!!!

AND IT WAS NOT PRETTY!! It deprived me of even MORE s
Lexy
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good it made me cry.
Marga
“Isabella: "Why are you being so mean to me?"
Harry: "Because i love you"
Isabella: "Does that ever work?"
Harry: "On my mother it does."
Isabella: "I'm not your mother."
Harry: "I know that already, because I'm enjoying your company.”

Well, that was fun.

Maybe you've had enough of books with complicated world building and stuffs. Or perhaps you're having a really stressful day in school or at work. Well, this is the book for you. I don't even know how many times this book made me laugh out loud or g
Muse-ic ♬
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fluff
3.5

Overall, that was pretty lame. But I still liked it.
Why, do you ask?
BECAUSE CHICK LIT! And I am unashamed to admit that I LOVE chick lit!
It's pure brain candy, which is exactly what I need right now, because after Empire of Storms and college, my brain really cannot handle much more hard coreness.

That being said, the love triangle was kind of annoying. I didn't really ship anyone until the end. That's how little I was attached to the love interests.
However, SARCASM GALORE! I absolutely love
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Relevant and Fresh Takes on Jane Austen!

To date, Claire LaZebnik has published four refreshing and clever Young Adult retellings of Jane Austen’s novels – Epic Fail (Pride and Prejudice), The Trouble With Flirting (Mansfield Park), The Last Best Kiss (Persuasion) and Wrong About the Guy (Emma) – and I sincerely hope she continues to write more! In this insightful and authentic retelling of Mansfield Park, Franny Pearson is a rising high school senior from a non-wealthy, divorced family looking f
Rahmi
5 fabulous stars
So far this is the best LaZebnik's book that I've read. It was cute, sweet, and funny.

I know I have this love-hate relationship with love triangle and the love triangle in this book (Alex - Franny - Harry) was one of the love triangle that I love.
Gillian Berry

That just put me in the absolute BEST mood. Such fun dialogue and a super-de-duper-dy cute ship. This is more a twist on Mansfield Park than a retelling, but since MP is definitely least favorite Jane Austen novel, I'm not mad at it. There are a lot of significant changes to the character dynamics (and one ginormous change in the end result, which again, I AIN'T MAD AT (view spoiler)
Jessica
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Heather
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Guys, I LOVED this book! I am familiar with the author's previous YA work, Epic Fail, but haven't read it. And I have never read Mansfield Park, the Jane Austen novel on which The Trouble with Flirting is loosely based. But I loved the short description of this book. And I loved that it was a contemporary romance because I was badly in need of one. I had been reading a lot of paranormal and dystopian YA when this book arrived in the mail and it was such a welcome break for me. And The Trouble Wi ...more
malayna
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MY OPINION: *****

This book was yet another one of those quick summer reads, despite the fact that it basically isn't summer anymore.

Today will be an uber short review because I have loads of homework after this :D

Anyways, this book is about a girl named Franny who goes to work with her aunt at a "theater camp" of sorts that sounds SO AMAZING that I am jealous. Anyways, she meets up with an old friend, as well as that friend's bro, who was her old middle school crush.

At the camp, she makes a lot
Katy
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked "Epic Fail," so when my friend asked me if I wanted to read this with her, I was more than eager to give it a try. And I was far from disappointed. This was a really great read - cute and fun. Yes, it was predicable, but I really like the way LaZebnik always manages to make me smile. There were some really great lines, and even the cheesy ones made me chuckle with delight.

My only big issue was that Franny made such a big deal about her family being less fortunate at the beginning
Celine
After reading Mansfield Park with some other bloggers, we thought it would be fun to read a modern YA retelling of Mansfield Park, The Trouble with Flirting.

Sadly, this show again why I don't read YA contemporary. I'm sure there are great contemporary books out there - but usually I can't stand the main character. If the biggest problem in your life is what shirt to wear to school, I just can't relate to you, even though at nineteen I'm still fairly close to the intended audience for these book
Ty
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oh-yay, popsicle-read
OMG... I seriously considered DNF this for a moment there... IT IS SO FRUSTRATING!
I just want to state that I was fairly team Harry and did not care much about Alex from the begining, until Harry went off and probably got himself an STD from Marie (my best friend's name is Marie... sucks), not that Franny's attitude helped or anything, she's the QUEEN OF FRUSTRATION AND INDECISIVENESS! That girl... THAT GIRL...
description

Alex didn't even looked at Franny, unless Isabella was doing something else rather th
M.
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I remember reading Epic Fail when it first came out and I love Jane Austen retellings, so I was happy to give The Trouble With Flirting a try. It was a very cute, fun book that told a great story!

The Trouble With Flirting centered around Franny’s summer at theater camp. While there, she reunites with her childhood crush, Alex, and also starts flirting with another camper, Harry.

Franny was an awesome main character. I think all the great different characters definitely contributed to what made t
Tellulah Darling
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gotta love Twitter. After sending out an admittedly self-professed whiny but whiny nonetheless tweet that I couldn't find something awesome to read after the Anne Bishop books, I got turned on to The Trouble With Flirting. A light, fluffy, funny adorable retelling of Mansfield Park. Was there any character growth? Not really. It was all about the romance and the love triangle but it was funny and sweet enough that it did exactly what I wanted from a story like this.

And Harry is adorable. Just sa
Jess
Hee. Suck it Edmund Bertram, I mean Alex Braverman.
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions:Super super super cute. I actually almost didnt read this book because I had some kind of crazy notion that it would just be okay. Boy was I wrong! I loved the wit and the humor and swoooooning. I really loved it!

Review originally posted on The Book Addict's Guide: Why didn’t you guys tell me how cute this book was!? I seriously almost didn’t read it and/or put it off because I was so unsure about it. Firstly, it’s a loosely-based retelling of Mansfield Park by Jane
The Book Jar Blog
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A modern retelling of Mansfield Park, I love Jane Austen retellings. Fanny is spending the summer at Mansfield Summer Theater Program, but she isn't attending it, she's working as a costume assistant for her aunt. She gets to spend time with her crush Alex Braverman, but he's focused on a different lady. Then there is flirtatious Henry Cartwright who's notorious at breaking hearts, but what is a little summer fun romance right?

I love retellings of Jane Austen stories, but this one was a little o
Sami
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Wow, disappointing. I really enjoyed Epic Fail and so was looking forward to this but...well I just didn't get some of the decisions she made with the plot. Granted Mansfield Park isn't the best of Jane Austen's works but what makes it great is the sweet relationship with that Fanny and Edmond have and how things turn out for them in the end. By changing that outcome I felt it changed the charm of the original story. And really I didn't find that Harry really had any redeeming qualities. I reall ...more
Shahnaz
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Just like any teen-lit, the story-line is really simple, a girl who likes a guy who is her friend's brother. What I like about this book is that you can't get the book off of you until the very end, because it's fun, thrilling, just like a teenager life. I should applaud LaZebnik for creating such real characters for the book, so we, the readers, could really relate to each characters.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Jenny
Cover Story: Big Face
BFF Charm: Platinum!
Swoonworthy Scale: 8
Talky Talk: Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice
Bonus Factors: Theatre Camp, Costuming, Retelling
Relationship Status: Sweethearts

Read the full book report here.
Shambhawi P.
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
So good. And cute. And sweet and fun ;) I simply adored Harry from the moment he walked in! One of the best feel good books in YA I've read.

I didn't know it was based on Mansfield Park - I haven't read it either. But reading this made me want to change that and go for classics now.
Lea Wellington
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow I wasn't expecting that, this book is great, funny and easy to read, in the end you'll not stop smiling and it'll make you happy :)
Anna
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jack Reynolds
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Next up on the Jane Austen contemporary retelling chopping block: The Trouble with Flirting! After a good time with Epic Fail, and with this coming in with a funny and awkward premise, I was intrigued to see what this book would have offer, being a loose retelling of Mansfield Park and taking place at a theater camp. Since my local library doesn't have any other LaZebnik books aside from EF, Things I Should Have Known, and formerly Wrong About The Guy, it's time for the Interlibrary Loan system ...more
Mint Tea
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The story had been a really fun thing and so cute that I just wish to squeeze every character! At some point, it got me snorting and go all annoyed at the characters because sometimes, they're just stupid. Like me!

Really nice read, but it was okay. *whispers* and i couldn't really get my hands off it even though i'm passed bedtime
Dayla
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't even explain what happened to me while reading this book. I just...I picked it up and I VERY RARELY (Damn you, laundry) put it down. This was dramatic (no pun intended), quirky, fun, and just pure addicting fluff of a summer read and I absolutely loved it all.

Happy reading!
Martha
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A modern YA take on Mansfield Park with a few twists and updates. I don't think the interpretations of Austen's characters work in the original context -- I love the original and always will -- but in this adaptation they work.
Adriana C
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it, but I need an epilogue.
Dark Faerie Tales
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Delightful retelling of the classic Jane Austen’s Mansfield Park.

Opening Sentence: When Jasper Snowden’s parents divorced, Jasper got to stay in his bedroom in the big house he’d always lived in, while his parents took turns living there with him.

The Review:

Franny Pearson never dreamed that she would spend her summer at Mansfield Summer Theater Program. She has always had a love for acting, but this program is for wealthy children and she

• Northanger Alibi (The Jane Austen Diaries, #2)
  • How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True
  • Salvation
  • Hooked (Hooked, #1)
  • Star Crossed (Stargazer, #1)
  • So Into You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #2)
  • Jane Austen Goes to Hollywood
  • The Boyfriend App (App, #1)
  • Spies and Prejudice
  • Falling For You
  • The Reece Malcolm List
  • Flowers in the Sky
  • Dear Cassie (Pretty Amy, #2)
  • Me, Him, Them, & It
  • Over You
  • The Accidental TV Star (Accidental #2)
  • Nobody But Us
  • Famous Last Words
Please check out THINGS I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, now available in bookstores and online.

"LaZebnik hits it out of the park with her story about pretty, popular Chloe and her loving relationship with her older, autistic sister, Ivy." BOOKLIST (starred review)

"Writing with honesty and wit, LaZebnik offers a thought-provoking portrayal of how people can come together despite, or perhaps because of, their
“Alex touches her arm. "You look nice."
"Nice?" she repeats. "Try harder, Alex."
He flushes adorably. "Really nice," he says.
"Next time, try this," Harry says. He reaches for my hand. "Franny, I didn't know what beauty was until I saw you walking toward us a minute ago.
"I like this better," I say, pulling away. "At least he sounded like he meant it."
"I meant it," Harry says, almost irritably.”
19 likes
“Isabella: "Why are you being so mean to me?"
Harry: "Because i love you"
Isabella: "Does that ever work?"
Harry: "On my mother it does."
Isabella: "I'm not your mother."
Harry: "I know that already, because I'm enjoying your company.”
12 likes