Start by marking “Lord Mullion's Secret” as Want to Read:
Lord Mullion's Secret

Lord Mullion's Secret

(Charles Honeybath)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
At Mullion Castle, sumptuous stately home, we meet the Earl and his family, who include his delightful daughters, Patty and Boosie, and dotty Great-aunt Camilla. Old school chum, Charles Honeybath, who has been commissioned to paint a portrait of the Earl's wife, finds himself at the helm of a complex investigation involving ancestral works of art and a young under gardene ...more
Published September 23rd 2008 by House of Stratus (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Mullion's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Mullion's Secret

Shelly
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Majority of stars are for Hugh Laurie's impeccable narration, though story was good, too.
Peggy
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this mystery with no murder in it!
John Frankham
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
A re-read. As good as ever.

A late, 1981, Michael Innes, so, lacking the length, and the breadth and complexity of story and plot of the earlier ones.

But this still has the trademark intellect and wit, and deviousness of plot we are used to.

No Inspector Appleby, but the portraitist Charles Honeybath as the protagonist. Invited by the Earl of Mullion to stay at his castle and paint the Countess, Honeybath's eye for faces and pictures provokes the inhabitants to reveal, while trying to conceal, fam
Mimi
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
The person who loaned this to me indicated it was full of witty remarks and I'd laugh and laugh. I must have been not in the right mood for this book (which happens - perhaps the characters were at the annual Bookie Awards) and I found it slighly amusing but not more.
Tony
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Innes, Michael. LORD MULLION’S SECRET. (1981). ****. Innes was the pseudonym of J. I. M. Stewart, an English professor and literary critic who managed to hide his identity while writing some of the most engaging crime novels around. Although he wrote many novels and works of critical biography (I especially liked his biography of Peacock) under his own name, his lasting popularity comes from those written under the Innes umbrella featuring Inspector Appleby and Charles Honeybath. This novel feat ...more
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't be at all surprised if I were the only person on earth who still likes this sort of book. Very tame and calm, yet with an unguessed ending. Worries about class. Mildly humorous dialogue among people without serious worries. I am very heartened by the long list of "Other Books by This Author," the suspicion that many of them are in the library, and the certainty that no-one else is checking them out.
Lynn
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it
This was just OK for me, but I would feel bad giving it only 2 stars out of 5. Weirdly, this book could have had a surprise ending, but just over half-way through, before the reader necessarily suspects anything, a family secret is divulged in the narration. Then the reader just waits for all the characters to be apprised in their own time. So it was anticlimactic, but a cute read.
Sara
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A review I read described this as more of a reflection on the foibles of the society portrayed rather than an actual mystery, and that is accurate, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Kate
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
For my full review click on the link below:
Karen
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Very enjoyable, very well written, and really quite amusing.
Delia
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Not exactly a mystery per se, but throughly enjoyable the society portrayal. I didn't laugh out loud but it has some very witty remarks.
Rosie
Jul 17, 2015
Asta
May 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael Innes was the pseudonym of John Innes MacKintosh (J.I.M.) Stewart (J.I.M. Stewart).

He was born in Edinburgh, and educated at Edinburgh Academy and Oriel College, Oxford. He was Lecturer in English at the University of Leeds from 1930-1935, and spent the succeeding ten years as Jury Professor of English at the University of Adelaide, South Australia.

He returned to the United Kingdom in 19

Charles Honeybath (4 books)
  • The Mysterious Commission
  • Honeybath's Haven
  • Appleby and Honeybath (Sir John Appleby, #34)