Start by marking “Drawing the Human Head” as Want to Read:
Drawing the Human Head

Drawing the Human Head

In 300 extraordinary drawings, Hogarth shows how to draw the head from every angle, age the face from infancy to old age, and delineate every feature and wrinkle.
Published February 1st 1989 by Watson-Guptill (first published 1965)

Start your review of Drawing the Human Head
Raghda Elwakil
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drawing
Perfect book.. ツ

Was useful for me a lot..^^
Kevin de Ataíde
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
Very technical and with excellent illustration, this is worth a look for portrait artists and character designers.
Karin
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. I learned so much. It's got amazingly clear pictures and wonderful descriptions of everything you need to know about the human head. I had no questions by the end of the book. It tells you exactly how to draw the head, its features, and everything from different points of view. Highly recommended.
Theresa
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have learned so much about drawing the human head! I recommend this to anyone interested in this area.
Mostafa Mezrou
Shelves: sartbook, 22
Ok
Parul
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent techniques discussed on taking proportions. MUST read for everyone who makes portraits.
Kimmie Hogan
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book based on a recommendation from the brilliant and extremely talented artist Kate Thompson. I not only had her as a guest teacher in a year long online class, and am currently enrolled in several of her e-courses, but have had the privilege of taking an informal class with her on drawing faces.
I'm not proficient at all in drawing faces, but am an ongoing learner.
I've never set out to be a portrait artist nor do I want to be. I'm happy to settle for mixed media influence in my f
Kim Chisum
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my "go to reference" books on drawing the head. The head can be complicated to draw but the guidelines and detailed drawings really break down everything into smaller pieces. I draw from this book when I practice drawing the different angles of a turned or tilted head.

If you are striving to improve your portraits or just trying to learn something new, I believe this book would be a great resource to add to your collection. I must admit, I have noticed an improvement in my drawing
Serge Pierro
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
A great book for learning how to draw the head in various positions and perspectives. Great instruction and formulas. I have actually seen a video of Hogarth doing these head drawings and he follows the instruction in here to a "tee".
Gustavo Fajardo
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Genial para corregir errores y para tomar decisiones certeras a la hora de dibujar una estructura para dibujar , pintar e incluso hacer escultura , - wonderful to correct mistakes and to make solid decisions to make drawings, paintings and also sculpture.
Jim
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginning and intermediate art students
A good introduction to drawing the human head. Any student who has at least one year of drawing lessons should be able to benefit from the lessons in this book. The images will seem a bit retro at first glance, but the information is solid and useful to anyone who wants to learn to draw the head.
Cibernetes
Jun 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book, but very technical.
Mimi Al Gabiley
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My gospel.
Mona Abbas
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Very helpful for those who are interested in drawing the human face!!
Isabel
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Muy buen libro, me fue de mucha ayuda, te explica paso a paso y con ejercicios faciles. Muy recomendable para quienes desean mejorar su técnica.
Maduranga
Apr 20, 2009 is currently reading it
A great book. I feel that learning to draw the perfect head first makes it much easier to draw all other imperfect heads. (but I am yet to learn to draw ordinary heads)
Bianca Arruda
Dec 02, 2018
Koson
Jul 10, 2015

• Anatomy for the Artist
  • Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)
  • Anatomy for the Artist
  • Creative Illustration
  • The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters: 100 Great Drawings Analyzed, Figure Drawing Fundamentals Defined
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • The Natural Way to Draw
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • Keys to Drawing
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • Constructive Anatomy
  • How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way
Burne Hogarth started young. Born in 1911, he was enrolled in the Chicago Art Institute at the age of 12 and an assistant cartoonist at Associated Editors' Syndicate at 15. At the age of 26, he was chosen from a pool of a dozen applicants as Hal Foster's successor on the United Features Syndicate strip, "Tarzan". His first strip, very much in Foster's style, appeared May 9, 1937. It wasn't long be ...more

News & Interviews