Start by marking “Plastic Gods (Rich Coleman #2)” as Want to Read:
Plastic Gods (Rich Coleman #2)

Read Book

Plastic Gods

(Richard Coleman #2)

Twenty-eight years after Rich Coleman and Erica Fox narrowly survive their chilling death pact they are still together and thriving. They now have a son Matt who has just married and is running a very lucrative law practice specializing in consumer bankruptcy. Matt, however, is cursed with his mother's greed and is obsessed with attaining great wealth and fortune. Matt's n ...more
Paperback
Published January 17th 2012 by Top (first published June 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Plastic Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plastic Gods

Start your review of Plastic Gods (Rich Coleman #2)
BP34
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book that was impossible to put down once I started reading. This is the second book in the Richard Coleman series and continues Rich and Erica's story. I did not read the first book so I was a little lost for a while but quickly caught up. I would recommend that you read the first book for total enjoyment. Their son Matt is a lawyer specializing in Consumer bankruptcy. Greed and corruption in the banking industry is exposed. I received this as a arc book via Voracious Readers an ...more
Dianna
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was sent this by the publisher as a gift, as the book I actually won, Unconscionable by the same author, was having trouble in production. That was so nice of them and I appreciate it! Thank You!
Especially since I really enjoyed it!

A story about a newly married lawyer, Matt, who is specializing in consumer bankruptcy. (His father Richard, is also a lawyer. Rich's story is in the first of the series, Death Pact.) With the help of his new wife, Lynn, they launch an advertising campaign in Texas
Gabby-Lily Raines
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: print, goodreads
I received a copy of Plastic Gods from the publisher for review.

I found Plastic Gods to be a book about greed, attaining goals, and not backing down. It is also a book about principle (although it may come across more as sticking to your guns than a virtue). The book is, finally, about the lengths that some parties may go to in order to stop others.

It is a good read, but may come across as....formulaic....in certain respects to some readers. For example, since Matt Coleman is a bankruptcy lawyer
R J Mckay
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the Goodreads "First Read" program.

I love a good who-done-it and this book has plenty of it! It was an easy read and very hard to put down. Mr. Manchee spins a great deal of financial truth it his tale of greed, enlightenment and revenge. A very good book!
Pete
Jun 20, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller readers
This is the first book by this author that I have read, and I received this review copy via 'Voracious Readers',
It is based around an interesting real life situation the way that the financial institutions were persuading the US population that lots of credit was necessary for good life, but it left those people with almost no chance of ever being debt free and paying a large percentage of their salaries in interest.
Enter a young, just qualified Attorney called Matt, who wants to satisfy his amb
Kate Merson
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as a free review book via Voracious Readers Only, and during covid lockdown this site has been a boon. Plastic Gods is fast paced and easy to read, addressing a genuine concern for many people. However, I found the constant switching between first person and third person a bit disorienting. This is the first book I have read by this author. Possibly if I read more of his work that technique would become more familiar.
It felt to me like reading a newspaper article - heavy on fact
Wendy Wallace
Oct 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book read from recommendations from Voracious Readers and was so impressed. Was a whole new type of legal thriller in the subject of banks making credit to easy knowing people will never get out of debt and an attorney and his marketing wife coming up with helping those people thru declaring bankruptcy. Having spent my career in the financial world it even opened my eyes to what is going on. Excellent plot and characters with a storyline to what I found similar to John Grisham. ...more
Nicky Clark
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely cracking read. William Manchee is the new John Grisham - with bells on!

This is a first class read, mixing the greed and callousness of global financiers with a page turning plot, I genuinely couldn’t put this book down. It’s so well written I’d defy anyone to pick it up and not be immediately engrossed.

If I could give this book 11 out of 10, I would. Go on, read it. You absolutely won’t be disappointed.
Marissa
Oct 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Copy for Review

I received a free copy of this book from the author via Voracious Readers Only in exchange for an honest review.

Corruption and greed are a deadly combination which makes for a riveting read. We are drawn into a world of making choices. A quick paced story that will keep you entertained.

It follows Coleman years later as his grown son becomes a lawyer and his fight in the greedy financial world. A thought provoking read.
Aparna
Oct 28, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a simple story but written in a great style that captures the reader's attention. The story starts slow and while it did not engage me completely, it was enough to pique my interest to keep going. The second half of the book is very well written with good suspense and drama. Really liked the turn of events and the smartness of the plot in the end. ...more
Fiona
Jan 16, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this via Voracious Readers Only. Power, greed, revenge and an interesting plot premise. I enjoyed the story and was keen to see how it developed and ended. The writing itself didn't always flow easily at times and the abrupt change in narrator added to this. My first William Manchee and I will definitely try another of his books. ...more
Lorna
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Voracious Readers for this book. I loved this book. It was so real, based on greed and power. The moral was “Don’t get mad; get even.” Action packed, great characters. Highly recommend this read. I will definitely look into more by the author.
Belinda Coleman
I loved the angle and the cleverness of this book, however, I found it to be rather politicised and somewhat contrary to my personal views. As a result, I couldn't properly enjoy the book. Writing and plot were excellent though. ...more
Katrina McCollough
Great book, I finished it very quickly which is always a good sign.
Kaitlyn
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't get past Chapter 7. The dialogue is forced and new events tend to jump all around without a good flow.
Danielle Wagner
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Plenty of suspense, and a few times had me sitting on the edge of my seat wide eyed with what just happened. Easy to read, but still had plenty to think over.
Darren Bourn
Jun 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an exciting book that I had received from the author and Voracious Readers (Only?) in return for an honest review.

This book is a legal thriller that rushes headfirst into one of the greatest threats that the American consumer faces - large amounts of unbridled credit.

The book itself tells an interesting tale as it outlines some of the societal issues that are a result of the consumer having access to large amounts of credit by subprime lenders.

As far as reviews go, I really liked this b
Sara Lee
I really enjoyed this book. Great story line , something that concerns me, so interested anyway. Easy to read, good mix of excitement, romance and thought provoking.
Sara Lee
Lorretta
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I received this through the GoodReads Giveaway.

This is supposed to be the 2nd in the Rich Coleman series; I have not read number one. Rich Coleman does not feature prominantly at all in this book, it is centered on his son Matt and his attempt to bring down a major southern bank.

Rich introduces us to Matt as a very materialistic man but also sort of lazy. Matt meets a woman with the same type of goal: make as much money as possible in the easiest manner. Matt & Lynn marry and open up a debt reli
Julie Barrett
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plastic Gods by William Manchee
Read this series out of order by reading book #3 first which I loved. Then book #1 and I will read this book #2 now because I love the series.
This one concentrates on the two boys Erica and Richard have and bring up lightly the past.
Ryan has decided that yes he does want to follow in his dads footsteps and be a lawyer. Matt does also. One so he can help people, the other for the money.
Matt has decided to wed Lynn after knowing her a few weeks and they want to do ba
Erin
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exhilarating and action-packed legal thriller. Matt Coleman just passed the bar exams and is looking to get rich quick. He and his new wife Lynn start up a law practice together specializing in bankruptcy. Matt and Lynn decide to promote their business by showing American's that they are being conned into debt and how they can get out of it by claiming bankruptcy. When the banks take a direct hit, they begin to take action, no matter the cost.

I loved this book. It was hard to put down and the
Kevin
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won a paperback copy of the book in a First Reads giveaway.

The main reason I didn't give this book more stars was because the dialogue was unrealistic. It sounded forced and made it difficult to identify with any of the characters.

The other small thing that bothered me was how easily the protagonists got rid of the henchman of the primary antagonist. The henchman had been causing problems throughout the story and then two of the characters finally meet him face to face and he's out of the stor
Georgiann Hennelly
Plastic Gods is the story of Matt and Lynn they are Lawyers running a very licrative Law practice specializing in Bankruptcy. They are both obsessed with greed and amassing great wealth. All is going great until their success begins to take a toll on Houston's Mid South Bank. The President Frank P. Hill is a very powerful ruthless Banker, at first he plays some dirty tricks on Matt trying to discredit him and get him to back off. When that doesn't work Matt is warned one / last time to stop his ...more
Maryann
I was fortunate to win this book from Goodreads giveaways. It was not the style of writing that I typically read, but the story was very interesting--I found that I wanted to find out what was going to happen next. The overall premise is a bit chilling--how greed can cause people to do things that most people would find abhorrent.
Katrina
First read win/ At first I thought this was a religious book from the title but it was some completely else. i loved the thrill I felt from reading it. I was always wondering what would happen next. Really well done.
Brenda Elsner
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Story line deals with issues that we see today. Book was a page turner. I always wanted to read just one more page to find out what was going to happen next. Some sad parts in the book, but Mr. Coleman gets his revenge in the end!!
Brandi
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A huge thanks goes out to William Manchee for sending me this book. Like the other two I was very impressed with the story line and characters. As always I love this family and the trouble they get into is flabbergasting. This is an excellent book i would recommend this one to many people.
Richard
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Young attorney Matt Coleman starts up "Bankruptcy Relief Centers" to help people get out of debt. When it becomes a huge success and starts to hurt the banks, how far will Big Finance go to stop him?
Excellent!
5 stars
John
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed "Plastic Gods" and gave it a 4.5, I also have to say that all thew Four & FIVE Star reviews are spot on. Great job! I won this great book on GoodReads and like I do with most my wins I will be paying it forward by giving my win either to a friend or library to enjoy. ...more
Barbara Huskey
I received a free copy of this book via the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

• The Dictionary of Lost Words
  • Air Raid (Toby Whitby #1)
  • Witch Dust (Witch Series #1)
  • Control Switch
  • The Career Killer (DCI Mabey Book 1)
  • The Royal Occult Bureau (The Royal Occult Bureau, #1)
  • The Man in the Dragon Robe (An Emily Bennett Mystery Book 1)
  • The Cat Who Saved Books
  • Killing Harry Bones (The Roger Storm Books Book 1)
  • The Heartbreak Bucket List
  • I Don't Date Superheroes
  • Petrified Wood (Layna Wood Book 1)
  • The Secret Messenger
  • Hearts on the Hill
  • Undertaking Irene (Jane Delaney Mysteries #1)
  • The Missing Sapphire of Zangrabar (Patricia Fisher Mysteries #1)
  • A Road Trip for Finn (Housekeeper Series Prequel)
  • Mrs. Thomas (Adelaide Henson Mystery Series, #3)
William Manchee is an attorney by trade and practices consumer law in Dallas with his son Jim. Originally from southern California, he now lives in Plano, Texas.

Richard Coleman (3 books)
  • Death Pact (Richard Coleman #1)
  • Unconscionable (Richard Coleman, #3)

News & Interviews

The book gods, in their infinite kindness, have built second chances into the very structure of the modern distribution business. If you miss...