Start by marking “A Plunge Into Space” as Want to Read:
A Plunge Into Space

A Plunge Into Space

A Plunge into Space was first printed in 1890 and continuously reprinted until 1910, earning the enthusiastic plaudits of Jules Verne. On the return trip they discover a stowaway --a Martian girl. The life-support systems of the ship cannot accommodate and extra passenger, and each crew member has some essential skill for bringing the ship safely to earth. The drama builds ...more
Published 2012 by Singularity&Co (first published 1890)

To ask other readers questions about A Plunge Into Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Plunge Into Space

Mike
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I got this from Singularity & Co's Save the Scifi kickstarter, as the first (and so far only) reward. The idea is that they'll clear the copyright of out-of-print SF works and turn them into ebooks. This particular one is, presumably, in the public domain, having been published in 1891.

They scan the books and run them through OCR. Now, the thing about OCR is that it needs very, very thorough human proofing afterwards, and this just hasn't received it. In fact, it doesn't seem to have even be
Kynan
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Originally published in 1891 in Belfast, the language and oft times now archaic viewpoints require a little leeway when reading this tale.

The bones of the story concern the discovery of a means to travel through space and the subsequent creation and use of a vessel to do so. The story is populated by a small group, hand-picked for adventure: a core of "solid men" (the scientist, explorer and capitalist) and those required to "look on and talk about, write about, paint about, or report about what
Brenda
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Singularity & Co rescued their first SF book and delivered it to my e-mail inbox yesterday. I popped it into my Kindle and started reading a 19th century SF novel, A Plunge Into Space by Robert Cromie (with an introduction by Jules Verne).

I wasn't sure if this was a real book, to be honest. Some of the descriptions seemed modern. Some plot points were so brain dead that I questioned how any reasonable person could have ever thought it made even the tiniest sense.

It's of that favorite old SF
Max Nemtsov
Сам роман — викторианская пошлятина с ирландским уклоном (если предполагалось, что это сатира, она вышла какая-то неубедительная). Компания лучших представителей общества, эдаких пожилых хипстеров, отправляется в стальном шаре на Марс и застает там утопическое стагнирующее общество. Их ничего не удивляет (потому что викторианцы), поэтому что они способны там увидеть и опознать? Вот-вот. Алиса со своими стойкими нравственными убеждениями и неколебимым представлением о реальности была гораздо любо ...more
D.L. Thurston
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: save-the-scifi
Let's start by saying one thing: this book is dated. It was originally published in 1891, and at no point did I mistake it for a newer book. I'm choosing to grade it on a curve, comparing it to other books from the time I've read.

Generally, I enjoyed reading the book. Occasionally it felt derivative and I had to remind myself that it preceded other works it reminded me of. The method of space travel is similar to the Cavorite from "The First Men In The Moon." The habitable Mars filled with nearl
Rob Wickings
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
The first Singularity & Co book to be re-released from the archives, this story is the precursor of a lot of space-borne fiction.
Sadly, there's a reason that some books slide into obscurity. A Plunge Into Space starts well, but falls apart once our explorers reach Mars. A painfully extended love triangle doesn't help matters. And how can the explorers be bored of the Red Planet and ready to go home in a month?

Rotten characterisation, a thick dose of good ole-fashioned sexism, and a rushed a
Ryan Olson
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
An interesting old fashioned sci-fi novel, that really suffered once they get to Mars. Sadly that was 3/4 of the novel.

It also could have used some proofreading . I know they scanned it in, but a simple read through should have corrected many of the errors. I get that a few mistakes might get through, but numbers in the middle of a word indicates that little to no editing was done. Hopefully their future novels will be more properly finished.
Happy
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book is not meant to be a comedy, but it's absolutely hilarious in its use of outdated tropes (no doubt cutting edge at the time it was written) and Victorian age prejudices regarding class, race, and sex. If you aren't a fan of classic sci-fi, I doubt you'll enjoy it. I am, and I did, but more as a curious historical artefact than as a story in its own right.
Alan
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
1/3 adventure, 1/3 victorian sci-fi, 1/3 Martian romance. The romance brings the crew to perdition, and the rest of the book goes with it. It's good to read another (hard to find) early space exploration saga apart from Verne and Wells.
Walter
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Meh. It's intereting if you're into seminal scifi... and I occasionally am. :)
Fany Renjana
Feb 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm with those people who dont enjoy reading this X)
Josh D.
May 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: save-the-scifi
Some okay moments and interesting as a piece of history but pretty wretched book.
Wreade1872
I have heard that Jules Verne critisized H.G.Well's novel 'First Men in the Moon' as "unscientific" due to its use of an anti-gravity maguffin. I find this hard to credit however given his foreword to this book which uses the same idea.
Infact the books are so similar at least in there basic idea, that Cromie accused Wells of plagiarism despite the fact that Cromie was not the first to use such a concept.
Anyway luckily Wells didn't take any more ideas from this as it's pretty bad.
It manages to m
Jamie Bradway
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm a supporter of the Kickstarter effort (Singularity & Co.) that brought this ebook into being and pleased to be.

A Plunge Into Space is an okay book - it is lacking in structure and suspense for SciFi, but creative (especially for the time) in its initial premise. Cromie had a unique vision for how space travel would occur, as far as I can tell, and he put some thought into who should carry out the traveling.

Despite that, however, it was a bit of a slog for a short work. Oddly, the most un
Lexie
I really, genuinely enjoyed this book. Perhaps because I read it immediately after finishing Romeo and Juliet (yes), the language was refreshing. It's nice to remember that people back then had senses of humor.

So, plot-wise, a Scottish adventurer, an English scientist, an Irish Politician, a wealthy nobleman, a heartsick author, an artist, and a newspaper reporter go to Mars. As a friend said while I was describing it, "Wait, is this a set up to some joke?" And the answer is, well, yes and no.

St
Kyle Freeman
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read from a 'history of the genre' viewpoint than for the actual quality of the story. One several early science fiction stories inspired by Giovanni Schiaparelli's discovery of "canals" on Mars.
James King
Aug 30, 2015
Oliver
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: save-the-scifi
A very surprising read. Really enjoyed the story.
Cameron