Start by marking “TrumpNation: The Art of Being The Donald” as Want to Read:
TrumpNation: The Art of Being The Donald

TrumpNation: The Art of Being The Donald

With unprecedented access, one of the nation's leading business journalists reveals the good, the bad, and the ridiculous behind the public image of The Donald.
Published July 1st 2009 by Business Plus (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about TrumpNation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about TrumpNation

Trish
Tim O'Brien restored my sense of humor. O'Brien was sued by the Donald over the reporting in this book, twice, but if anything, O'Brien makes the Donald look bombastic rather than purposely evil. At first I was disconcerted by the breezy style, but by the middle I understood that the style matched the subject matter.

I was laughing by the time O’Brien tells us about the fight headlined daily in the New York papers between developer Trump and Mayor Koch in the 1980s. I got to the point where I wa
Shaun
I thought this was a very honest portrayal of Donald Trump, a man whose real talent is not his building expertise or his business acumen but instead his ability to sell to himself.

Like Trump or hate him, it is impossible to deny his celebrity status. And it is this celebrity status that has ensured he remain a household name for decades.

After reading this book, I do feel as if I have a greater appreciation for Trump's appeal to so many Americans.

1. Those around him report he is an extremely po
Jean
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was interested in reading this book that was first published in 2005 because it was the book that Trump filed the 5 billion dollar libel lawsuit over. In July 2009 the Judge dismissed the case saying Trump had not proven his case.

The author interviewed Trump and his family and associates as well as researching documents and archives. O’Brien reveals Trump as a very complex man. At the time of the book Trump was 1.8 billion in debt. At times O’Brien seemed sarcastic in his descriptions of Trum
Diana Long
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Published in 2005 and re-published in 2015 with an updated introduction. The author is a journalist and spent years following Donald Trump and his exploits and captures the essence of the poster boy for the American Dream in this work. So what is it about Trump that people tend to gravitate toward him? By watching videos, reading one of his books and especially this book, I finally got it. There is only one Donald Trump, he's a one man show and no one could surpass his ability for self promotio ...more
Bryan Craig
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is great background on Donald Trump's rise in the business world. It stops at 2005, but the author peels back the various masks Trump creates in marketing himself, and the author successfully unveils some consistent traits and methods we see as president. It's more warts, however, after reading this book, today's chaos makes a more sense.
Mary
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trump as he is

Excellent book. It's not mean, just an honest look at Donald Trump. Not a biography. Sort of a running interview, interspersed with factual context. That's important because Trump isn't big on facts.

Enjoyed it and got a better idea of the man. He's not a cartoon character, just someone enjoying the limelight and perks of wealth, whether or not he has them.

In this election year, he is great for forcing issues into the forefront, not something other candidates are really good at. L
Theresa Gilman
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trumpy

Well, what can one say? That I'm sad to find that there appears to be no discernible growth in the man over 40+ years?

The book is fine. I'm just depressed that this boob may soon be running our country as badly as he's run his businesses.
Dana
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best part is when the author compares a Trump to PT Barnum ( their biographies really are similar!) I agree with other reviewers that this is more of a long interview than a biography, but there some great details in it.

2.5/5 stars
Everydayreader1
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donald Trump. Who is he, and what is he all about? Timothy L. O'Brien attempts, in so far as is possible, tries to answer those questions for the reader. The footnotes and sources referenced attest to the author's meticulous research. And Mr. Trump gave him access and approval for the writing of this book.

I decided to read this book because I wanted to have a better understanding of Mr. Trump as a person and as a presidential candidate. When I read that Mr. Trump sued Mr. O'Brien for $5 billion,
Spencer Jakab
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not only did I laugh out loud several times while reading this book but I was duly impressed with the author's snarky insights in Trump's character. This was written a decade before be began his presidential run that spawned thousands of articles about the man yet it is consistent with them in terms of his character. O'Brien had unprecedented access to Trump and was fairly kind to him (I think) but was sued for $5 billion. The Trumpster's gripe: Understating his net worth. The suit was thrown ou ...more
Rajiv Bais
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was better than David Cay Johnston’s book.

O’Brien’s chats with Trump show you why Trump is full of shit for having sued him.

You let an author into your life and say you enjoy his company. Yet, you sue him when he was able to use your words and others’ stories and truths about your actual image against you?

What this book also reveals is how Trump clearly isn’t a billionaire and never was one. What kind of billionaire borrows money from banks to build casinos, hotels, and infrastructures in N
James
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, fr, favorites
Those who don't like Donald Trump will read this and it will confirm what they already know about how "The Donald" has skirted bankruptcies, spun bad press, and boasted about false claims to the point where they almost become reality.

Those who do like Donald Trump will likely not read this, though they should.

Filled with many quotes directly from Trump himself, this book shows just how much of a blowhard he really is. It shows how he borrowed money to build his dream buildings, lost money in sal
David
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Great and funny bio of "The Donald" up to ~2005. But now that he's been president of the US for about 1 1/2 years...it's not that funny anymore. But the book does show that the Trump we have now in the oval office is the same as he's always been.

There's a brief section which mentions P.T. Barnum, the showman, charlatan, and self-promoter. Trump was built from the exact same mold. O'Brien points out that Barnum didn't actually say "there's a sucker born every minute", but he did say "the people l
Drew
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bio-autobio
A quick and easy read which gives a glimpse at the man who would become the 45th POTUS. The book feels very "surface level," but that treatment ultimately seems appropriate given the apparent lack of depth to Donald Trump's guiding philosophies.

The revised introduction which includes references to the 2016 presidential campaign is a welcomed addition. It sets the tone for the rest of the book, and keeps the story from feeling trivial or dated.

As it stands, Timothy O'Brien's TrumpNation offers s
Kevin Larsen
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donaldtrump
An interesting read. Written about 2005, there is a 2016 edition with a new introduction. The book is written as a journalist being a friend of Trump, but, of course, not taking him seriously or taking him at his word. A note about how honest the book is is that the author got sued by Trump for alleged wrong estimates of Trump's wealth. Fortunately for us, the publisher fought it in court and the book is uncensored and not redacted.
Most importantly in the book is a chapter on Donald Trump's Pub
Gary
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
TrumpNation is a shorter version (or the Coles Notes version) of Trump Revealed: An American Journey of Ambition, Ego, Money, and Power. TrumpNation gives you a quick overview of how Trump business started by leverage his father's fortune but with his big bold ideas give him a quick start but how he crashes hard with a string of bankruptcies and narrowly escapes personal ruin. Then finds the simpler world of licensing his name which plays to his strength of self-promotion with dramatically less ...more
Patrick Porras
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Growing up, I didn't really know anything about DJT other than he was rich and he killed it in his cameo in Little Rascals.

O'Brien helped me understand the 2016 Presidential Election cycle by showing me who our POTUS has always been. He is a compelling showman. He has been a tabloid favorite since the 80s. His sentences can often simply be fact-less braggadocio, but it has never stopped news outlets and entertainment heads from eating it up, only adding fuel to the fire.

An excellent, lucid read
Connie Burchfield
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A thorough view of the development of business holdings of Donald Trump including price paid for each and every property and what it was later bought for if sold ( a rarity) personalities of those he bought from and most importantly who he borrowed from. The author was successful in portraying a man who always came out on top no matter how large the financial failure. When told about the collapse of his casinos, he reported it to represent only one percent of his holdings (not really true.) Beca ...more
Terrell
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trump is a Conman!!!

The book should be required reading before you are allowed to vote if Trump or any fool who supports him is on the ballot. Trump, as President, is raping, pillaging and fleecing America just as he has done his entire crooked life in everything he touches. A must read for every concerned citizens who gives a damn about America's existence.
Tracy Dougherty
The write obviously doesn't like DJT. He spends a lot of time chronicling the Apprentice show but doesn't give any behind the scenes info. He writes a lot about who DJT knows or has been associated with but there are no stories. It's redundant and light on substance. I could have googled the majority of this info and pieced the same story together.
William Clark
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book actually fore shadows Donald Trump 's behavior over the past two years. He is quite a character and con artist. Those with low intellectual stability were destined to become his prey. This book gives you a real good view of a real carnival barker in action. The writer is to be commended for this enlightening inside look at a true scam artist.
Budd Margolis
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: trump-era
The more I read the less I believe how someone so utterly incompetent and at takes criminal could possibly be the leader of the USA. But the state of Politics has permitted an accidental President and having additional insight helps in understanding why the man simply can not utter a truthful statement.
George L. Reading
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

This book is well written and has great readability. So very interesting insights into the huckster that is Donald Trump.The author gives Trump credit where credit is due and tells it like it is elucidating Trumps many flows and shortcomings..He does, infact, expose Trump for the truly flowed individual that he truly is.
Kaloyan Tzvetkov
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found it interesting that this book seems fresh and up to date even-though it was written more than a decade ago. It's funny and entertaining, and it is ridiculous how much insight it has about Trump that early. All of the takeaways are being confirmed and re-confirmed nowadays before the world's eyes.
Arleen
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I was hoping to find one redeeming quality about the president from reading this book, but I was wrong. The book emphasized his failed business deals and how he exaggerates everything to make himself look good.
Khris Sellin
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was (disappointingly for me ;-) ) a very fair assessment of who Trump is.
Terri Vlasak
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit of historical background of the huckster compiled by NYTimes journalist.
lynn
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
An insightful analysis of what drives Donald Trump, written by someone who has spent a lot of time with him. Not the first book he has written about the Donald.
Aric
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll just say Trump tried to sue the author and failed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • My Happiness Bears No Relation to Happiness
  • Street Poison: The Biography of Iceberg Slim
  • The Last Republicans: Inside the Extraordinary Relationship Between George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush
  • The Hunting of the President: The Ten-Year Campaign to Destroy Bill and Hillary Clinton
  • Understanding the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict: A Primer
  • Angela Merkel: Europe's Most Influential Leader
  • Long Way Back to the River Kwai: A Harrowing True Story of Survival in World War II
  • Hitler: The Memoir of the Nazi Insider Who Turned Against the Fuhrer
  • Running the World: The Inside Story of the National Security Council and the Architects of American Power
  • Time to Start Thinking: America in the Age of Descent
  • Showdown: The Inside Story of How Obama Fought Back Against Boehner, Cantor, and the Tea Party
  • A Slave No More: Two Men Who Escaped to Freedom, Including Their Own Narratives of Emancipation
  • North to the Orient
  • Law of the Jungle: The $19 Billion Legal Battle Over Oil in the Rain Forest and the Lawyer Who'd Stop at Nothing to Win
  • A Man of Good Hope
  • Our Crime Was Being Jewish: Hundreds of Holocaust Survivors Tell Their Stories
  • The Shadow Elite: The New Agents of Power and Influence Who Are Undermining Government, Free Enterprise, and Democracy
  • Oriana Fallaci: The Journalist, the Agitator, the Legend
Tim O'Brien's novel, "The Lincoln Conspiracy," is a historical thriller set in Washington and New York in the weeks following the Lincoln assassination. The first in a series of novels about the exploits of an Irish-American detective and his wife, "The Lincoln Conspiracy" is a gripping tale of intrigue, riddles, and murder and a riveting account of what motivated the assassination of one of Ameri ...more
“Rolling through Manhattan in his limousine, Donald confided that he was nervous about his pending marriage to Slovenian model Melania Knauss, which was just ten days away. “It’s all in the hunt and once you get it, it loses some of its energy,” he said. “I think competitive, successful men feel that way about women. Don’t you agree? Really, don’t you agree?” 3 likes
“However popular Candid Camera may have been, though, it represented a genre—with the exception of a few popular shows like COPS, Real World, and America’s Funniest Home Videos—that lay dormant on American prime-time television until the late 1990s. Then, stung by a loss of viewers and watercooler buzz to more innovative, more targeted, and more creatively unshackled cable operators, network television programmers revisited reality. The show that ushered in the new era in network programming debuted in the summer of 2000 on CBS, and it became a ratings powerhouse known as Survivor.” 2 likes