Start by marking “Hysteria ” as Want to Read:
Hysteria

Hysteria

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  3,642 Ratings  ·  581 Reviews
Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian. She can't remember the details of that night but everyone knows it was self-defense, so she isn't charged. But Mallory still feels Brian's presence in her life. Is it all in her head? Or is it something more? In desperate need of a fresh start, Mallory is sent to Monroe, a fancy prep school where no one knows her . . . or anything about ...more
Published February 5th 2013 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Hysteria, please sign up.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I don’t believe I’ve ever seen such an interesting premise so thoroughly destroyed. For the second time (the first being Fracture, of course), Megan Miranda had a fantastic idea and just didn’t follow through. When I requested this book, I was pretty sure I would be getting a psychological thriller of some sort, possibly with paranormal elements. But a thriller should be thrilling, right? Yeah, Hysteria… not so much.

So I let him whisper in my ear and put his hands on my hips. And I listened to
Emily May
Gave up.
Even though I had some problems with Fracture, it was creepy and entertaining, unlike this which was just boring (I read to chapter 5, page 70).
Also, we are introduced immediately to two (I'm assuming, because of the way they are portrayed) potential love interests (good guy she's known forever vs cocky bad boy she's just met). Then, of course, there's the use of bitchy, pretty blonde girl - whose t-shirt is indecently tight - to make our protagonist look better...
Right now I honestly do
Rose
Initial reaction: You know those times when you start off really liking a book but then as you go along it feels like a balloon that deflates as time goes on, which by the end it's no longer floating but barely tracing the ground? That's what this book did to me. Man, I sincerely thought I'd come out of this reading experience singing the praises of this book because it actually started off intriguing enough. It really did. Yet it became more ridiculous and formulaic as time went on and by the t ...more
Trisha
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
"Secrets weren't a currency. They were a burden. A heavy, dangerous burden."

I'm so disappointed. I had read the synopsis and saw the shelved genres and had made some assumptions about what kind of story I was getting. And, oddly, this wasn't that one at all.

I have to shelve this as something akin to a silly horror story. Where there is gore and murder and blood and....elements that aren't always what they appear.

Katherine
description
”We stopped checking for monsters under the bed when we realized they were inside of us.”

Setting: Massachusetts and New Hampshire;2013

Cover Thoughts?:First of all, if you read the story, the cover makes absolutely no sense. It makes no sense even when you look at it without knowing what the story is about. It looks more like a bad Pablo Picasso painting than an actual book cover.

Plot:Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian. She can't remember the details of that night but everyone knows it was se
Nafiza
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013, source-ala
So in case you didn’t know, I love Fracture by Megan Miranda. I thought it was brilliant and when I heard that there is going to be a sequel, I did a happy, nerdy dance. I picked up a copy of the ARC of Hysteria from ALA and I am part of the blog tour. Hopefully, I will remember to list the tour stops at the end of the review but just ask me in case I don’t.

Anyway, moving on to the novel.

To be completely honest with you, I am still a bit uncertain about how I feel. This book is compulsively read
~Tina~
Sixteen year old Mallory Murphy killed her boyfriend but can't remember what really happened that night. Mallory's parents worried about all the gossips and threats decided to give her a fresh start, in New Hampshire at a boarding school that her father once went to. Monroe Academy.
Thinking that her problems might be past her, Mallory starts to feel the boom of an eerie presence that wont seem to let her go. Someone or something wont let her forget that night making Mallory feel like she's losi
Jenni Arndt
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-ebook
Hysteria was a novel that caught my eye the moment I saw the cover reveal. I loved the font treatment, the popping use of the color red and the eerie feel that it conveys so well. Once I started reading the novel I was quick to realize that the eerie feel was going to be a running theme between the cover and the text which was so great. But as the story wore on my failure to connect with the characters on a deep level kept it from reaching amazing status and left it as simply an enjoyable read. ...more
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
This whole book was a moment of great frustration. Since I didn’t have any (high) expectations I thought everything would be fine. I would get a creepy mystery about some dead dude. The girl would try and figure out who actually did kill him and everyone would apologize to her because they all thought she was the one who killed him. But by the end of the book the whole murder wasn’t even THAT important because she had to solve another murder and fight with mean girls.

The main character kept on d
Sophie Jordan
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED Fracture! Megan Miranda instantly became an auto buy for me. CANNOT wait to read this book!
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I kind of loved Megan Miranda's debut novel Fracture  when I read it early last year, so I had pretty high hopes for Hysteria, despite seeing a lot of mixed reviews for it.  But I know what resonates with me as a reader, and I rarely go wrong with psychological thrillers, so I maintained those high expectations.  I just knew that I would enjoy this novel, and I'm not at all surprised that I was right.  That's the price you pay for being an insufferable know-it-all...you can't surprise yourself ...more
Haley ~ YA-Aholic
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it

Mallory doesn’t remember what happened the night she killed her boyfriend Brian. The evidence shows it was in self-defense, but still her once loved town now hates her. To get away from everything, and get away from everyone that knows of her crime her parents send her away to her father’s old prep school, Monroe. Mallory just wishes none of this had happened, but to escape the memories of Brian and the glares from people in her town she agrees to go.

Since Brian’s death Mallory has been losing
Andreea
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley.com and Bloomsbury Publishing Plc for sending me this e-book.

I was somehow disappointed with this book, not because it wasn't good, but because I expected so much more from it. Seeing the cover and reading the description, I thought Hysteria was going to be a little bit creepy and full of suspense. Unfortunately, for the most part it was another "girl goes to another school, encounters some mean girls and falls in love with a nice boy" story. Don't get me wrong, there were so
Heather
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(This review can also be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

I am a HUGE fan of Megan Miranda. I love the way she writes, and I love the plot of her stories. When I saw Hysteria by her, I knew I had to read this book! I must say that she didn't disappoint me.

Mallory killed her ex-boyfriend in self defense, so she claims, but she can't really remember what happened that night. Mallory's parents ship her off to a boarding school to get her away from everything
Katie_la_geek
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, ebook-arc
For this review and more visit my blog

When I first started reading this book I was pretty sure I was going to be disappointed. There appeared to be all the clichés I hate in YA literature. The parents seemed neglectful, the best friend was promiscuous and it looked like there might be a love triangle.

But it turns out I was wrong.

As I carried on reading all of these issues, that I was sure were going to appear never came to pass and instead of rolling my eyes at the clichés I found myself utte
Chelsea
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is not a thriller book. This is one of those "mystery" books. The way the author wrote the book...I can't describe it. It was good but it jut didn't quite work the way I think she intended.

The main character murdered her boyfriend who happens to be the older brother of her last crush. She basically dates him cause he would kiss her. Yeah good thinking. Can't see how that would cause problems at all.

The flashbacks did not workout for me. They were usually flashbacks of that night, but at d
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

This book is a YA contemporary mystery. I am definitely liking this new trend -so many YA books seem to be including a mystery element.

The narrator is Mallory. When the book begins we find out that Mallory stabbed her boyfriend Brian in her kitchen. And killed him. But we don't know any of the details.

Her parents send her to boarding school (the same one her dad went to). But she has to leave her best friend Colleen.

Also, she can't really remember much of what happened the night Brian
Michele at A Belle's Tales
*2.5 stars*

I was really looking forward to Hysteria after getting my first look at its eerie cover and especially after reading the summary.

Unfortunately, Hysteria just didn’t deliver the thrills the way I had hoped it would. The pacing was slow, and I didn’t connect at all with the main character Mallory, who I found to be flat and annoying. I took issue with her parents sending her off to boarding school so soon after the traumatic experience of her murdering her boyfriend in self defense. Gr
Nina
Se on sitten siinä. Viimeinen lukematon Megan Mirandan kirjani. Nyt pitää sitten aina odottaa niin tajuttoman kauan uutta julkaisua kun tekee mieli lukea tämän naisen kirjoja. Möh :<

Minua hieman jännitti tämän lukeminen, sillä kaikista Mirandan kirjoista tämä on saanut alhaisimmat pisteet täällä Goodreadsissä. Viihdyin Fracturen ja Soulprintin parissa niin hyvin, että halusin pitää tästäkin. Ja kovasti pidinkin. Ei ihan noiden kahden tasolla, mutta pidin reilusti enemmän mitä Vengeancesta.

Mir
Tara
I think I might have enjoyed this more if I had of read it rather than listen to the audiobook.
Amy's Book Reviews
To get away from publicity after stabbing her abusive boyfriend to death, Mallory is sent to Monroe, a boarding school. She begins hallucinating and developing strange marks on her body. Then a boy is found dead in her dorm. Is someone gas-lighting Mallory, to is she not who she claims to be.

HYSTERIA started with such a strong premise, but the execution fell flat. If I just killed my abusive boyfriend, the last thing I'd do a few weeks later is kiss a new guy and start dating. I would certainly
Cillian
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kitchen knives
Misty Baker
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
** A 3.5 Review **

Quote this...“Something lingered in my room. Like the dust hovering in the slant of light beside my bed. Like the air before a thunderstorm. The threat of something coming.”

Hysteria is defined as: a psychoneurotic disorder characterized by violent emotional outbreaks, disturbances of sensory and motor functions, and various abnormal effects due to autosuggestion.
Autosuggestion: self-administered stimuli which reaches ones mind through the five senses.

One more.

Conversion disord
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
(I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc and Netgalley.)
Mallory has been having a hard time of things, and the sleeping tablets aren’t really helping. Every time she looks at her kitchen she’s feels it throbbing, and every time she closes her eyes, she hears the boom, boom, boom of a heartbeat.

This is all because of an incident that left her boyfriend Brian stabbed and bleeding to death on her kitchen floor. An incident that
Jai
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This book was unbelievably dull and I wanted to enjoy it so much.
It has given me constant headaches and I'm surprised that it didn't send me careening into a reading slump. I could barely remember the main character's name (Mallory) throughout the book and kept forgetting the significance of the characters. There were so many maybe-love interests that I could have pulled my hair out in frustration.

I nearly dnf-ed but didn't have the heart, I kept hoping that it would perk up, even as I was encro
Susan (Wastepaper Prose)
I'm going to be honest. I've been in a major reading slump lately, and have been desperately waiting for that book that would exceed my expectations and get me psyched about reading again. Boy, did Hysteria do the trick! It was just the novel to get my blood pumping.

From the novel's first line, "My mother hid the knife block," to the very last chapters, I was hooked. A mere three hours was all it took for me to plow through Megan Miranda's sophomore novel. Effortless in its construction and per
Emily (Book Jems)
As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!

After reading Megan Miranda's debut title, Fracture, and loving it, I looked forward to seeing how her writing would progress. When the cover for Hysteria was released, I knew I would enjoy this book. No, it's not the best book of all time, but it really is a exellent and eery tale.

Mallory can't remember the night she killed her boyfriend, Brian. She wasn't charged with a crime, since it was ruled self-defense, but her parents still decide to send her off to Monroe
Nara

Full review can be found here

Thank you to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) for sending me an advance copy of Hysteria through NetGalley. In no way did this affect my opinion of the book.

I remember reading Miranda's debut novel, Fracture, and being decidedly unimpressed by it. I know I must have been unimpressed by it because, honestly, I can't remember ANYTHING about it. I went back and looked at the blurb, but nope, not ringing a bell...awkward. (I do read a lot of books, so anything me
Vicky (A Backpack Full of Adventures)
Originally reviewed at: http://www.booksbiscuitsandtea.co.uk/...

I read Fracture , Megan Miranda’s debut this time last year and I instantly fell in love with her writing. The plot was fast-paced, the characters relatable and there literally wasn’t one dull moment in the story. So when I first saw that the author had a new book coming out this year, I knew I was in for a treat.

If I had to pick one thing I love about Miranda’s books it would definitely be her ability to grab my attention right aw
Books
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2014
Well, well, well. This was at least something a little different. Part mystery, part suspense, and part psychological thriller, I was captivated yet thoroughly confused by this story. So much so, I still can’t figure out whether I loved it or hated it. I feel rather “meh” about it, actually. In the end, everything makes sense once you get the complete picture, but to get to that point you first have to survive a somewhat tiresome journey with a very exasperating protagonist who tends to run from ...more
Crazy for Young A...: Hysteria by Megan Miranda → Start Date: September 2nd, 2015 24 10 Sep 07, 2015 10:32AM
Names and Settings 1 10 Jun 18, 2014 06:45AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Hysteria, by Megan Miranda. START DATE: December 9, 2013 14 16 Dec 13, 2013 12:34PM
Who else ADORED Colleen in this book? 1 13 Sep 16, 2013 10:17PM
  • Notes from Ghost Town
  • The Ruining
  • Me, Him, Them, & It
  • Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1)
  • The Murmurings
  • Life After Theft
  • Then You Were Gone
  • Bruised
  • Blind Spot
  • Shadowlands (Shadowlands, #1)
  • The Dead and Buried
  • Revel
  • The Reece Malcolm List
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
Megan Miranda is the New York Times bestselling author of ALL THE MISSING GIRLS. She has also written several books for young adults, including FRACTURE, HYSTERIA, VENGEANCE, SOULPRINT, and THE SAFEST LIES. She grew up in New Jersey, graduated from MIT, and lives in North Carolina with her husband and two children. THE PERFECT STRANGER (4/11/17) is her second novel of psychological suspense.
More about Megan Miranda...

“I thought that this must be what purgatory was like. Can't go forward. Can't go back. Awaiting some official judgment.” 7 likes
“If you pretend something hard enough, could it become real?” 5 likes