Start by marking “I Will Hold You 'Til You Sleep” as Want to Read:
I Will Hold You 'Til You Sleep

I Will Hold You 'Til You Sleep

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Here is the rare book that not only expresses a parent's love for their child, but offers a hope for what that love will become. It begins with a wish at bedtime, as parents hold their children tight and hope their love will cradle them, safe and sound. It continues through the day their children have grown up, proud and strong, and can pass that love on to someone else. T ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published 2006)

Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Conveying the overwhelming love of a parent for a child, each page offers a short expression complemented by a lovely, double-page illustration. As the pages turn, taking readers from the birth of a much-loved child through the joys and sorrows of growing up to the ultimate wish each parent has for a child.

A book to be read again and again, a book to be treasured by young and old alike.

Highly recommended.
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My four-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week. But I would have if he didn't -- that cover!

I am not a fan of I'll Love You Forever, even after I learned the story behind it. I appreciate the sentiment of that book but it's just too weird and creepy for me. This book captures the sentiment without all the weirdness and creepiness, because the mother lets her son grow up. I can relate to that. I loved my son when he was a baby, but I didn't want him to stay a baby. I loved h
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
A parent expresses her unconditional and undying love for her newborn child as she looks toward their future together. Lovely watercolor illustrations of the growing child and his parents enhance the sparse text that flows with a gentle rhythm. Although this title will hold greater appeal for new parents and grandparents than for children, it does make a soothing choice for bedtime sharing, and would be a nice additional purchase for libraries housing early-childhood parenting collections.
Erma Talamante
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s
A loving, beautiful book about family and growing up; about how family will always be there for you. A very sweet, emotional read, I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I read the story to my active baby. The only thing I would have wished for would be brighter pictures. The beautiful watercolors were more muted than some of our other favorite books, making this a good library book, but not one for the home collection.
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet book filled with loving wishes and dreams from a parent to a child as the child grows up. It's a soothing book and is good for bedtime, but the content is as much for the parent as it is for the child, perhaps even more so. Lovely illustrations create an image of the love between generations that is quite touching; it almost brought me to tears.
Jan 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read this for my class. It was assigned under the module, "Books Adults Like that Are Not Necessarily Good Books". No kidding. The illustrations are pretty. The story would be okay, but it just isn't written well. It is far too simple. I am not a fan of "Love You Forever" either, but one cannot help but compare the two, and Munsch has a much better book.
Aug 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Read for 5420 class

The illustrations in I Will Hold You ‘Til You Sleep are beautiful! However, the text is especially jarring to this previous English teacher. Indeed, some pages are run-on sentences, some end in period, some lack any sort of punctuation, some are fragments. It is too jarring for me to want to ever look at the book again.
Mar 28, 2009 rated it liked it
There is a sweet message conveyed through the pages of this book. From child to adult, the mother says that she will always love him and you see throughout the course of his life how his mother is always there for him. I enjoyed this book and would probably recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog:
Nov 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Linda Zuckerman distills a lifetime of editing and care for language into the pellucid text and Jon J Muth matches it with exquisite watercolors that shape and extend this gentle tale of parental and generational love.
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I can't get through this book without tearing up. If you're looking for a great gift for a new family and want to steer clear of the old standards (ie. M.W. Brown, Pat the Bunny, Munsch's Love You Forever, etc.) pick this up.
May 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sweet msg, and I really like Jon Muth's art.
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
just a beautiful book
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sweet bedtime read with beautiful illustrations.
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: family, love, baby, diversity
A sweet book that shows a variety of kids and parents throughout their lives and different kinds of kids.
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I bawled the first time that I read this to my son. Well, and maybe the second time too. Okay, actually maybe it's every time. What kind of sick person writes something like this? Agh!
Elisabeth P.
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book makes me cry because it's so sweet. It's about loving a child through all stages of life, and a must read for parents.
Marg Corjay
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was beautifully written and illustrated. So heartfelt, it can be shared and treasured at every point in your life. Like a warm hug on a chilly day!
I love (LOVE) the watercolor illustrations by Jon Muth. GORGEOUS blues!
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Gorgeous artwork. Forgettable text.
Sep 08, 2017
Feb 01, 2015
Deb Reddy
rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2015
rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Linda Zuckerman grew up in Brooklyn and has lived in the Pacific Northwest for almost fifteen years. She has been a children's book editor for more than forty years on both coasts, having held executive editorial positions at several major publishing houses. Linda is the editor of three books that were awarded the Caldecott Medal and two that received Newbery Honor citations. I Will Hold You 'Til ...more
More about Linda Zuckerman...