Start by marking “When You Love a Man Who Loves Himself” as Want to Read:
When You Love a Man Who Loves Himself

When You Love a Man Who Loves Himself

Narcissistic men seem like the ultimate catch: self-confident, attractive, charming individuals who are often the life of the party. The narcissist always knows the place to be and who to be seen with. His attention is initially very flattering, but eventually his behavior is not: he becomes aloof and controlling and may cheat. He still seems somewhat interested, however, ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about When You Love a Man Who Loves Himself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Love a Man Who Loves Himself

Start your review of When You Love a Man Who Loves Himself
Kim
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked the way the author explains concepts -- he really breaks them down and helps readers realize narcissistic patterns, why attraction develops, and how to work at breaking the cycle.

I learned that women ruminate after breakups with narcissists because things about the relationship didn't make sense, and the human brain struggles to make sense of the nonsensical. (I've definitely found this to be the case from my personal experience!)

The last chapter was great because
Deirdre Cavener
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I didn't want to like or recommend - that didn't work out ... it was therapeutic and a tremendous help. Our minds and hearts are often in conflict with one another and this book helps you "see" the truth. I was a character in many of the stories ... sadly.

If you are a single woman put this on your required reading list - regardless of your age!!!!

Recognizing narcissism is an emotional condom. Once you are "in" the relationship (should be wrongship) the road is hazardous and the
Guera Herrera
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
this book has alot of research explained simply. it's a quick read and goes over patterns of behavior narcissist cling to. it takes you through exercises to identify if you are actually dealing with one. the book does a great job explaining how narcissists think and why they do what they do and if they are capable of change. the author uses great examples and stories to explain situations that you might fall into dealing with these types of people. if would highly recommend this book to anyone i ...more
Helen
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was a pretty good book of its type - self-help. There were some good insights and exercises and good explanation of why narcissistic men act the way they do. I found it helpful in thinking through experiences in my own life with men who might be narcissists.

I would recommend it to women who may be in relationships that seem inexplicably tortured, although there are many reasons why such relationships might be tumultuous.

The book is readable and up-to-date in terms of examples given, and a
Karetchko
Aug 08, 2007 marked it as to-read
I keep meaning to get a copy of this book. I used to go out with the author when I was in grad school. I never really expected him to have a self-help type book with pink on the cover, but narcissism was one of his areas of research so I guess it makes sense. I like the fact that wrote something accessible and potentially helpful...so often people in academics just write journal articles that no one but other academics would read.
Jake Thomas