Start by marking “Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)” as Want to Read:
Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)

Hardback book. 204 pages.
Published January 1st 1971 by Viking Adult (first published June 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, please sign up.
Ashley It's a figure drawing art reference book.

Alien  Citizen
May 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is awesome. Okay, it's from the 50s, includes its share of -isms from the day and some of that overexburance of mine comes from the fact that this is available free of charge online (and what's better for a wanna-be struggling artist?). But the mathematician in me is also just bowled over by the attention to proportion ratios and visual guides for such (is it a freudian slip that I kept accidentally writing the letter k instead of h in the word such?). I am quite sure that there are many ot ...more
Ana
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It's old fashioned but that's okay, especially when it comes to a book on drawing. I can't think of anything that would stop being relevant fifty years from now... The figures may be a little idealized in proportions but you can learn just as much from it. Andrew Loomis writes to the reader like a friend. This book is perfect for reading with a cup of coffee and your sketchbook nearby.
Pannita
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
My manga illustration teacher introduced me to this book for basic human figure drawing and i’ve been using it ever since. Although this book is very old (first published in 1943), it is still a great reference book for figure drawing in my opinion. Check out my full reference books collection here: http://korpannita.wordpress.com/2013/...
Anima
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enticing contours that will stir up your desire to try drawing few lines to see if you can replicate the shape of the woman or man you might like. Drawing is nothing else than a dance of the couple hand- pencil on a piece of paper- a mesmerizing one if you take your time and do not rush. The book has good explanations, and you never know, if you like how your combined lines look at the end, you might try few more times and eventually develop a new skill or advance the ones that you are already p ...more
Murray
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I got my hands on the original 1940s edition I felt immensely lucky.

It even came with an authentically quaint handrwritten message inside.

Put simply, this is the single biggest influence I have had on my artistic efforts (freelance for a number of years). The language is dated but the sentiment is not - Loomis wants you to succeed and he wants you to be hardheaded in achieving it.

The effects of light and shade, the anatomy of the human body, and the intent of the artist...are all explained
liquid soap
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
As an intermediate artist I found it overwhelming. I was hoping for more how-to's and less actual complete drawings. Also the ideal human figure got tiring after 50 pages. You definitely won't learn how fat works here. He spends a page talking about complicated subjects like the dreadful Box and a page on something trivial like advertisements.
I definitely loved the style and some of the things were explained pretty well, but there must be better books out there.
Natik
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
This will only make some small sense if you have a basic grasp of perspective drawing. It seems to be 90% Mr Loomis showing us what nice things he drew. We get it, he can draw things. There is almost no actual instruction that can help you when you draw something on your own instead of copying examples. I'd strongly recommend "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention" by Michael Hampton instead.

Loomis' "Successful drawing" was much more informative.
Si Barron
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This guy is amazing- if you want to be able to draw the figure, either from life, or purely constructed from line and imagination- then this is the guy to read.

This is a sumptuous re-print of the original classic and well-worth buying- however all his books a brilliant and are readily available as downloads because they are out of copy-write

This book and 'Drawing on the Right side of the Brain' are the best books for any one contemplating figure drawing
James Burks
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you're an artist and you want a great book on life drawing, this is it. Thankfully it's back in print too. Highly recommended.
Jeff Lewonczyk
Finally finished this, after dipping in and out for a year and a half. His breezy mastery still feels out of reach for an amateur lug like me, but his lessons and approach at least make the path clear. I'll be returning to this as a reference for many years to come.
Jere
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit old-fashioned and American. Teaches you how to draw ideal proportions like a dream-come-true factory.
No fat people or asymmetric faces.
Other than that the book is helpful and informative for all those who want to draw the human form.
Shaun Patterson
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am going to begin this review with a contrary statement that I have not been looking forward to reviewing this book. Not because I have any misgivings about its quality or content, quite the opposite actually. This book is so well regarded that I felt reviewing it must prove to be somewhat pointless. I think that if these words reach just one person who has had the misfortune of never hearing about Loomis and his works before, then it would all be worth it.

If you are a professional artist, as
Ciel
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An essential book for the artist! Really helped a lot of my rookie-drawings.
Jaime Guzman
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comic book & animation proffesionals seem to bring up the same names when they recommend books that are essential for an artist's library and those names are George Bridgeman, Burne Hogarth, & Andrew Loomis.
Alex Ross was made famous for his life like paintings depicting iconic comic book heroes and has stated that Andrew Loomis was his biggest influence in art. The influence on Alex Ross was so much that not only is he an alumni of the art school in which Loomis was once an instructor h
Canesgalactica
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
For an aspiring artist or the illustrator who may be out of practice, Loomis' book is very insightful and instructional on how to best draw the figure. This book covers everything from gestures to fully clothed examples (drapery).

He covers both male and female forms and even delves into discussing how best to draw child and infant subjects.

My only real gripe is that because this book was originally published in 1943, some of the text (if you choose to actually read it) is really out-of-date and
Rajeev Singh
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The definitive work on figure drawing, in my opinion. The book is old, but everything that relates to art itself (and that's 98% of the book) is as relevant as ever.

Loomis doesn't go into great technical on any one subject, but delves into the fundamentals across the board and speaks with a maturity and insight that's lacking in most how-to art books. What's more, he speaks directly to you in a very personal voice.

I read this years ago, and it was amazing how much it helped me focus on improvin
Kathleen
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this, even with the sexism of the time. Think I might pick up more of his books.
Sam
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Loomis. If you've ever looked into studying how to draw or improve your skills, odds are, this name came up, and for good reason. This guy is one of the masters, and it's a privilege to be able to be instructed by him, albeit, indirectly, but still, I'm grateful that he opted to share his knowledge.

To that end, I would argue that this book is not necessarily for beginners, but be mindful I'm quite biased as to where one should start with art. If you've NEVER drawn before, never picked up
Alicia
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a classic. Even if nowadays you can find all kinds of books about figure drawing, many of them simplify it too much in order to make the subject seem easier and give you the impression that you will learn faster and without effort. Wrong. Andrew Loomis gives full and clear explanation of everything that needs to be learned for those pursuing an artistic career. However, if you just want to know how to imitate figure drawings as a hobby or out of curiosity and don't plan to invest time fo ...more
Rocio
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Chris Jones
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: methods, 2017
Great foundational stuff if you plan on drawing a lot from models. I got more out of the earlier chapters by working through them slowly multiple times. If you plan on drawing from imagination (eg. for cartooning or animation) I hear Loomis' approach is more appropriate.
Phanna Chea
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks
Monika Barger
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely classic and amazing.
Katherine Shark
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC book!! Really rigorous drawing instruction, I learned so much. He presents great exercises & challenges to improve yourself.
David Pung
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any artist
Nishitha
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely an amazing book for figure drawing. I need to look for a better book on Perspective and Foreshortening though.
Nikki
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, art
This guide is best for artists who want to draw superhero comics in the style of 1950s American anatomical canon.
Marci
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
Every artist or aspiring artist probably has an idea who Andrew Loomis is. He's been an institution when it comes to illustration. His works dated way back the 1940's but are still very relevant today.

This book features detailed instructions on how to illustrate lively human figures, covering everything from the basics of the human body to proportion, balance and so much more. A more detailed lecture on drawing heads and hands can be found on his other book Drawing the Head and Hands.

Original co
Tyrus
I plan to try to reread (again) this at some point. It's full of great merit here and there, but it stands and outlier in Loomis's collection of how to draw books that I felt really did more harm than good on instructing how I learned to draw. After failing the first time I tried twice more to see if there was something I was missing or not getting, though the harm done was due to my own stubbornness. In retrospect I feel I didn't learn squat from it, but I don't hate it (as much as I used to). ...more
Gina
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is really focused on commercial art, giving examples of the types of assignments one might fill, and some guidelines about money and equipment. Some of that information is outdated, and some of it wouldn't apply if you are not planning on art as a profession. For that, the points he makes about idealization make perfect sense, but I didn't like them (not being particularly fond of advertising in general).

The book is still really helpful. It led me to think differently about anatomy, an
« previous 1 3 next »

• Alla Prima: Everything I Know about Painting
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • Figure Drawing Without a Model
  • Perspective Made Easy
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
  • The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature
  • Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement
  • Lessons in Classical Drawing: Essential Techniques from Inside the Atelier
  • How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way
William Andrew Loomis was an American illustrator, author, and art instructor.
“As a student I thought there was a formula of some kind that I would get hold of somewhere, and thereby become and artist. There is a formula, but it has not been in books. It is really plain old courage, standing on one's own feet, and forever seeking enlightenment; courage to develop your way, but learning from the other fellow; experimentation with your own ideas, observing for yourself, a rigid discipline of doing over that which you can improve.” 3 likes
“Fill in the shapes with the right tones and the form takes care of itself.” 0 likes