Start by marking “Butterfly Valley: A Requiem” as Want to Read:
Butterfly Valley: A Requiem

Butterfly Valley: A Requiem

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  318 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Inger Christensen, often cited as a Nobel contender and one of Europe's most revered poets, is perhaps best known for her groundbreaking work Det (It), a cycle of poems published in 1969. Her first book published in the U.S., alphabet (New Directions, 2001), met with a tremendous response: "Seductive," said Boston Review. "A visionary reincarnation of the natural world in ...more
Published May 25th 2004 by New Directions Publishing Corporation (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Butterfly Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterfly Valley

The Shamer's Daughter by Lene KaaberbølErik Menneskesøn by Lars-Henrik OlsenThe Exception by Christian JungersenThe Serpent Gift by Lene KaaberbølThe Shamer's Signet by Lene Kaaberbøl
Best Danish Books
215 books — 37 voters
Glasswings by Elisa KlevenWalking Disaster by Jamie McGuireBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireButterfly by Sharon SalaA Butterfly Is Patient by Dianna Hutts Aston
Butterfly
95 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Johan Thilander
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Det är inte så förvånansvärt att en så fulländad systempoet som Inger Christensen ger sig på lyrikens kanske svåraste diktform. Det är inte heller särskilt förvånansvärt att hon lyckas så brutalt.

Sidenote: Som någon redan har påpekat så är de danska orden för olika fjärilar väldigt mycket finare än våra svenska.

Uppdatering: Inger Christensen fick alltså aldrig ett nobelpris, men Bob Dylan fick det. Allt är så dumt.
Charlotte J.
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Years ago, I got to know this superlative work through detailed, deconstructive analysis on my way into academia. Now, so close to leaving that world, it seemed fitting to read it immersively: as a whole, sweeping, breathtaking experience.
Katharina
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Golden.
Imen Benyoub
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Skywards they swirl, the planet’s butterflies,
like coloured dust from earth’s warm tenement:
cinnabar, phosphorus, gold, ochre – they rise
to form a swarm of chemo-elements.

And is this shimmering of wings a seeming
shoal of imagined particles of light?
Is it my summer hour of childhood dreaming
fractured as time-warped lightnings might?

No, it’s light’s angel, able to unveil
itself as black Apollo mnemosyne,
copper, poplar-admiral, swallowtail.

I see them with a mind but half aware
as feathers in a heat-h
Marcus Uhre
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Inger Christensen overbeviser med sin klare vision af himlen. En af Danmarks bedste digtere
J_BlueFlower
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
”Inger Christensens Sommerfugledalen, bestående af 15 sonetter, er ét udeleligt værk, fordi det er sammenkomponeret efter den såkaldte sonetkrans’ meget kunstfærdige regler. Sonetten er et stærkt bundet digt, der består af fjorten linjer, men i kransen af sonetter skal den sidste linje i én sonet og førstelinjen i den følgende være identiske. Og den femtende sonet, med rette kaldet mestersonetten, skal så udgøres af førstelinjerne fra de 14 foregående.” https://kum.dk/uploads/tx_templavoila...
(J
Fie Sejr Ravn Jensen
I wish I was better at reading poetry. Can you take classes in that?
Lars Poulsen
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“En sonet er et lyrisk og rimet digt på i alt 14 linjer. Derudover følger sonetten også en indre logisk opbygning, som også understreges af sonettens rimskema.”

“[Sonetten] er ofte inddelt i to kvartetter (strofer på fire vers) og to terzetter (strofer på tre vers) eller tre kvartetter og en kuplet (strofe på to vers).”

(Kilde: Wikipedia)

“En sonet-ring eller sonet-krans er en samling af 14 sonetter, som opfylder nogle bestemte formkrav: Sidste linje i sonet 1 er den samme som første linje i sonet
Michael Foley
A truly beautiful work from Inger Christensen.

Butterfly Valley: A Requiem is a sonnet cycle where the last line of text in each contributes to the final sonnet. Christensen is using the colors and imagery of the butterflies as an expression of memory. In a similar vein to Proust's "episode" of the madeleine, the butterflies rekindle lost thoughts as they rise from ground.

In Watersteps, Christensen embraces structural changes to describe the fountains of Rome. The depictions begin vividly and b
Alessandra
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Butterfly Valley: A Requiem by Inger Christensen

This work, which deals largely with evanescence and mortality, is
divided into four sections: Butterfly Valley: A Requiem, Watersteps,
Poem on Death and Meeting. True to Christensen’s fidelity to
structure, each section has a distinct structure with a
correspondingly distinct tone. The first section, Butterfly Valley,
has fourteen sonnets, with the last line of each appearing as the
first line of the next. A fifteenth sonnet comprises the first lines
of t
Ben
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
it is lonely to think
of death in December
with the clouds shrouding
your house

in the park the threatening
light beneath the trees
all kinds of dead people
wandering the town

bird that he carrieds
over his heart
his deceased heart

one with a word
that has lost its object
the surviving words
that the body shakes off

the body whose blood
runs away from its brain
the body whose heart
is cold as a k
Martin Ledstrup
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If I could live in literature, if I could make a text into my home, I would live in the The Butterfly Valley. It is the essence of systematic form in poetry: a cycle of 14 sonnets where every first line of each sonnet goes into the final 15th sonnet - which then sums up the entire cycle. But still, like butterflies, the cycle flutters and bursts into formlessness, escaping multiplicity, into the world. It is a very simple text, yet it keeps opening and opening and opening underneath you. How suc ...more
Regitze
4 stars, 5 stars? I don't know. I honestly just don't know.

This poetry collection is just beautiful. There is no other word for it. I've read it through twice now and both times, what's really struck me is just how beautifully and seamlessly Christensen's words paint the most stunning and colourful, yet sort of melancholic pitcure of life and death.
I might change my mind and give it 5 stars, because like I said, right now I just don't know.
It i beautiful. And I'm going to buy this book that s
Linnea
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't waste your time
Stina
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely stunning and left me utterly speechless
Melissa
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melissa by: Andy, by way of Caryl
Shelves: poetry
I especially liked the last couple sections of this.
David Zimmerman
Gitte
Dec 31, 2017
  • Stigninger og fald
  • Barndommens gade
  • Det nemme og det ensomme
  • Den kroniske uskyld
  • Løgnhalsen fra Umbrien
  • The Liar
  • Erasmus Montanus or Rasmus Berg
  • Ved Vejen
  • Huden er det elastiske hylster der omgiver hele legemet
  • Vangede billeder
  • Penguin's Poems For Love
  • Min mor siger
  • Hvis det er
  • Niels Lyhne
  • Vandmærket
  • Samlede Strunge
  • Yahya Hassan
  • Liberty (Afrika-trilogien, #3)
Inger Christensen was born in Vejle, Denmark, in 1935. Initially she studied medicine, but then trained as a teacher and worked at the College of Art in Holbæck from 1963–64. Although she has also written a novel, stories, essays, radio plays, a drama and an opera libretto, Christensen is primarily known for her linguistically skilled and powerful poetry.

Christensen first became known to a wider
More about Inger Christensen