Start by marking “Hollywood Urban Legends: The Truth Behind All Those Delightfully Persistent Myths of Film, Television, and Music” as Want to Read:

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Roeper brings his distinctive style of investigative reporting and compelling storytelling to bear on the most persistent legends involving the people who bring us the movies, TV shows, and music we love so much.
Published September 1st 2002 by New Page Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Hollywood Urban Legends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollywood Urban Legends

Jennifer Daniel
Snarky, entertaining and loads of fun. The Urban Legend (or UL for those in the know) that most intrigued me was the one regarding Marilyn Monroe's size. It has been oft quoted that "she wore a size 16". The author's research proved this wrong by measuring the dimensions of some of her dresses that are on display finding her to have a perfect but no where close to size 16 proportions of 36-26-36. That would put her at a about a size 6 or at best an 8 still healthier than some of the skeletal ska ...more
Jim
Aug 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book stunk. Sorry. It was all I could do to get through it.
Dean Anderson
Sep 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Such a useless thing in the era of the internet.
Bill
Oct 01, 2007 rated it did not like it
Many people (including myself) feel Richard Roeper, of "Ebert & Roeper" fame, was a poor choice to replace the late movie critic Gene Siskel, who died in 1999.

Why Roeper?

Aside from looking good on camera (a primary factor?) your guess is as good as mine. Still, I'm all for giving the new guy a chance, so I continued watching the show...for a time. At some point, however, I threw in the towel. One can only take so many inane comments.

In "Hollywood Urban Legends" Roeper eschews film criticism
Janet
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I always find it interesting to read about urban legends and it is kind of scary knowing that so many people believe these things. This book is centered on urban legends about Hollywood, etc. Many of these I have heard repeated over the years. Very entertaining book, lots of fun to read. I will definitely read his other book on the subject.
innae
Jun 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Several Hollywood based ULs are debunked in this quick little read. I don't think I was surprised any of the ones he mentioned were not true, and in fact there were a few I hadn't even heard of. An enjoyable read.
Samra
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very revealing
Paul Baker
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very entertaining. A fast read.
Keli Wright
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had so much fun reading this book a lot of these I already knew..but it was still fun to read them and I liked this guys sense of humor. great, fun quick read..
ERIN SCHMIDT
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I ate this book up like cotton candy. It may be a "guilty" pleasure, but danged if it isn't fascinating!
Jane Medoro
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very funny, quick and easy read. A good beach book full of fun trivia.
Tiffany
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun, quickread, trivia
Funny Hollywood urban legends
Megan Bodwell
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 2012
Richard Roeper is hilarious. I had heard a lot of these Urban Legends before, but Roeper's narratives make the stories a lot funnier. Definitely worth a read if you are into this kind of stuff.
Mark
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Breezy read about Hollywood urban legends... told with more humor than you'd expect from watching him on "At the Movies".
Angie and the Daily Book Dose
I wasn't feeling well today and so I read this. Don't judge me.
Julie
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Some interesting stuff here. But the authors unneccessary nasty comments were somewhat distracting.
Dave
Oct 31, 2012
Jacqueline Francis
Jul 10, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Richard Roeper is a columnist/film critic for the Chicago Sun-Times and, since September of 2000, has co-hosted the television series At the Movies with Ebert & Roeper with fellow film critic Roger Ebert.