Start by marking “The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)

The Queen Is Dead

(The Immortal Empire #2)

Nothing lasts forever---and immortality isn't all its cracked up to be.

When her brother Val gets in over his head in an investigation of Half-Blood disappearances and goes missing himself, it's up to Xandra, newly crowned Goblin Queen, to get him back and bring the atrocities to light. Xandra must frequent the seediest parts of London, while also coping with what she is, t
Published February 5th 2013 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Queen Is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen Is Dead

Suzanne the Bookaholic and Proud
I have to say that I really enjoyed this book, I enjoyed the first one but was thinking that it did lack something for me, the second didn't.
The Goblin Queen Alexandra Varden has a lot of stuff happening towards her, you do tend to feel for her with everything going on, but she does handle it well, (I would be a mess, until Vex came and consoled me, that would be better).
I like how when a main character who feels very self centered like xandy does, that the other people do tell her 'not everyth
K.
Trigger warnings: blood, gore, violence, abduction, imprisonment and torture, non-consensual gynaecological procedures.

3.5 stars.

This world is so much fun. Basically, the plague bacterium turns the nobility into vampires and werewolves. If they interbreed with humans, they end up with "halfie" kids who have badass powers who regular humans are terrified of. If they interbreed with each other? You get a goblin.

Xandra is a pretty great protagonist, and her werewolf boyfriend reminds me of Lord
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3.75

Can I just say how much I love Vex? Tall, dark and sexy aside - I love the way that he can be supportive, but not mollycoddling. I love the whole "I will support you whatever you decide but, woman, making a damned decision!" and "Would you like me to get you a cross you can nail yourself on, dear?" (Paraphrasing).

I'm a little less enamored with Xandra, though I do like her, overall.

That said, I still have some issues with the book. (Of course.):

* It's a little overly repetitive. Most of this
Mara
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Immortal Empire series succeeds in weaving a unique world-building with some known UF cliques. There's politics, action, drama. Overall it's a very likeable series, and this book is even better than the first, even if it won't get in to the memorable pile.

The plot starts from where book one ended. Xandra has to face her new status and her family's reaction to it. Unfortunately they reacted pretty much as the rest of the world, with some horror. But family is always blood and when one of her
Siobhan
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book two in the Immortal Empire series, and I think I enjoyed this one more. In fact, I don’t just think so – I know I did.

Don’t get me wrong, I still have some issues with the series, but as a whole this one is a great improvement upon the first. Whereas I was able to put the first book down and do something else for a while, this one demanded my attention. The action started sooner and was nonstop.

With another interesting story – a story debatably more interesting than the first – more about t
Spencer
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Xandra has to come to terms with being a goblin and being offered their crown. Of course, she has a bunch on her plate, other than the royalty/goblin nonsense, too. Her poor brother goes missing, she finds out a few interesting tidbits about her father, some of her family is more welcoming than others. If I was in her position, I would be a hot mess. But she does have Vex on her side. And he is still the ultimate definition of book boyfriend.

This series really pulls you in. I really like that in
AH

I love alternate histories. They are always so much fun to read. The Queen is Dead by Kate Locke is an alternate and quirky history of London where aristocrats – read vampires, werewolves, and goblins) control London. Even Queen Victoria is a shrewd vampire. The goblins – yes goblins – control the underground. Those that venture below the city rarely return as goblins do like their meat. The vampires and werewolves jostle for power and live among the humans. Add in a few human wannabes
Jeffrey
Kate Locke's second book in the Immortal Empire trilogy is a bloody good scream of fun set in a monster filled alternative England where Queen Victoria, the ruler of the place is a vampire, the human league is involved in terrorist attacks against the werewolves and a new queen of the goblins is rocking the joint. Its pretty good too. I missed the first book, but just bought it on Amazon and expect to read it shortly. So you have to get the back story while reading this novel.

It seems that Xandy
Jen
Review after first reading, April 24-25, 2013:

This sequel to God Save the Queen was most excellent! Xandra is a compelling protagonist and it was wonderful to see her in action once again, and to grow with her as she adjusted to being a goblin - and the goblin's queen. Vex is still the sexy and intriguing man/wolf we met in the first book, and being with him again in this outing was great, too. It was fascinating to see more into the world of the goblins, and to learn more about Xandra's family
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
An exciting, page-turning addition to the Immortal Empire series!

Xandra proved herself to be a kick ass heroine in the debut, but she's even more hardcore in the sequel. She's craving violence, ready to rip out a few throats, and becoming unapologetic about who and what she is. I absolutely loved it!

There is a lot of forward progress in this story regarding the changes in Xandra's life. Along with her new Goblin Queen status, she's learning to adjust to the new physical and psychological change
Amanda
I'd only been somewhat looking forward to continuing this series. I only had luke warm feelings for the characters with the exception of Vex. He kept me reading in the first novel because there was just something about him that was interesting. Xandra is still just as emotional and quick to act as she was in the first novel which tends to get her caught up in quite the mess.

In this book much like the first we have a family crisis and it seems only Xandra is the one who can save the day. At least
Blodeuedd Finland
So..I read book 1 yesterday, and this morning I picked up book 2 and read like 200 pages before work. And then finished the book when I got home. And now, I do not have book 3, oh sad me. I totally need the book.

The goblin wants Xandra as their queen cos the surprise in book 1 was that she is a goblin! I did like that twist. And I really like the goblins. They are nice and they are crazy and digs into meat like animals.

Vex, eh, ok sure he is good, I like them together. I do like my weres. I just
Viccy
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Xandra Vardan, newly recognized as the Goblin Queen, gets drawn into her brother's investigation for Scotland Yard. Val has disappeared while investigating the kidnappings of various halvies from the famous club, Freak Show. Avery, their sister, came to Xandra to ask her help. Along with her boyfriend, Vex, the werewolf alpha, and her plague of goblins, led by Prince William, Xandra begins to realize the kidnappings are a cover for more sinister undertakings. The vampires are trying to breed a b ...more
Feminista
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk
Rating: 5 out of 5.

Another great addition to the Immortal Empire series, a lot has changed since the first book.

Now considered a Queen of her own right, Xandra struggles with her family's approval, her subject's approval, conflicting parental interests and politics between the different species. With the only thing keeping her sane, is her werewolf boyfriend, she needs to find out what happened to her missing brother (it is a curious thing that in each book, a sibling of hers goes missing).

Add i
Danielle (Danniegurl)
This was really good.

This one delves more into the experiments surrounding the halvies. Val, Xandra's brother, goes missing while investigating missing half-bloods. Avery, Xandra's sister, goes to her even though she is still pissed about what happened in the previous book, and comes to Xandra for help. From there it's a bit of investigating she's not part of the RG any more and must rely on her contacts, such as the goblins and Vex to help her uncover what happened to her brother. The story is
Abby
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just as wonderful and fabulous as the first one! The world that the author has created is so great. In this one you really get to see how each faction operates and views the others, especially where Juliet is concerned. These moments, and the moments where Xandra finally gets to confront a few people that I was dying for her to get to, were definitely the best in the book. The tension and the emotion were so high in these moments that it would have been impossible to pry the book from my hands.

A
Kelly
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series, and this book was as good as the first one. The focus of this book is Xandy's kidnapped brother and her efforts to find him, while she also wrestles with her new told as the goblin queen. I admit that I've never completely enjoyed the fact that the protagonist is a goblin. It's a bit of a stretch for me, and I'm not sure why. Regardless, I do find these books enjoyable and will be starting number three tomorrow.
Rebecca Crane
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read it in one sitting. Great book!
Bookworm Erica
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do enjoy this series. It keeps suffering under the moveitis lol I'll have to reread it again when I'm all settled. I do have book already downloaded from the library tho to finish the first read through .
Ashleigh Price
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the second book so much more! Well done. Everything that I had problems with the first book was fixed in the second.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Xandra has had a lot of changes in her life – from half-blooded Royal guard to goblin queen. Despite being monarch, she seems to have lost a lot; her family no longer trusts her, she’s lost her job, she’s lost her home, she’s earned the enmity of Queen Victoria herself, she’s become a tabloid sensation – and universally feared. And she still doesn’t know what she wants to be or become – she’s not ready to make those decisions.

But she doesn’t have much time to delay, not with her brother going m
Anthi
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well definitely an upgrade from the previous book and like I said while reading this one, it seems that most of the things that irritated me in the previous one (whiny, petulant, bratty heroine), too good to be true/Gary Stu/unconvincing alpha wolf of a hero, no sparks between them and bad editing) are either gone or improved so much that are now mildly annoying. Not perfect but I enjoyed it very much.

Xandra has grow on me but also she's maturing. She's still a work in progress but I don't find
God Save the Queen was a fantastic start to Kate Locke's alternate history urban fantasy series so I've been looking forward to getting my hands on The Queen is Dead ever since I first read it. If the stunning covers for this series aren't enough to convince you to read them then the mash up of genres should be, throw in a hint of steampunk, vampires, werewolves and a heroine who has just found out she is the goblin queen and you're definitely onto a winner! Everything I loved about the first bo ...more
Lovey Dovey Books
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kate Locke continues to dazzle readers with her spunky, fierce heroine, Xandra Varden. The Immortal Empire series began with God Save the Queen where Locke introduced readers to an alternate world where England is still under the rule of Queen Victoria, and she's not human. In fact she's one of the plagued, supernaturals with the blood of werewolves, vampires, or goblins. Xandra learned shocking truths that changed her view of her family and of the Aristocracy, the people she believed, as a half ...more
Grace Troxel
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures:

The Queen is Dead is the second novel in Kate Locke’s The Immortal Empire trilogy, an urban fantasy series that reimagines the Victorian era, but with lots of undead and otherwise plagued creatures. The protagonist, Xandra Vardan, is having a hard time dealing with the fact that she’s the queen of the goblins. Until recently, she didn’t even know that she was a goblin, and was only fami
Brianna
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this book. It was a great second installment in this series, and I cant' wait for the next one to come out.

I love Xandra more than I already did in the first book. SHe's one of the best heroines I've read about. There were times when I felt she ran away from her problems too much, but she eventually got over it, and the book became even better. I love how Xandra says what's on her mind, and isn't afraid of action. I'd definitely want her to be on my side within a fight wi
Katherine
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

Second books often either expand upon the genius of a first work or bury it; I am happy to be able to say that The Queen is Dead did not dig its own grave but rather marked yet another stunningly original and creative journey into The Immortal Empire.

Picking up two months after the ending of God Save the Queen this book was an amazingly fun ride from page one. Addressing all of the loose ends left in the first book, this story had amazing range cove
Jessica
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The good:
• UF with a romantic interest -- and no love triangle!
• A curious and educable heroine. I like that she's able to recognize when she's screwing up and is generally mature enough to apologize or try to be better. I especially enjoyed how she worked on overcoming her learned disgust of goblins, and began to recognize how intelligent and deserving of loyalty they were. Although fair warning: gross bits ahead with this part.
• A love interest who is both supportive and calls her out when sh
Olivia ツ
Awesome! This story just sucked me right in. Xandra is trying to face her new role as goblin Queen and at the same time she's trying to find her brother Val and other halvies that have gone missing. I love the world that had been created. A mix of Victorian and steampunk. Xandra is so fierce and kick ass! I really like that she can hold her own and although it would easy and safe to hide behind her Goblins or Vex, she doesn't.

Vex. Oh Vex... Alpha with a good head and heart. Love that his relati
Nymeria
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
When I finished this book, I felt like not much happened. It seemed almost like a novella.

And I don't know if I'll continue with the series. The concept is interesting but I don't think the excution does it justice. The books barely scratch the surface of both this alternate universe and the characters' psyche. It could be so much more complex and interesting.

Plus I'm not really interested in the romance. It's way too easy and angst free. Not that a relationship necessarily needs to be nurtered
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 18, 2015 09:31AM

• Corroded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #3)
  • Touch of Steel (Clockwork Agents, #2)
  • The Clockwork Wolf (Disenchanted & Co., #2)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • The Damnation Affair (Bannon & Clare, #1.5)
  • A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)
  • Sky Pirates (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow, #3)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2)
  • The Kraken King  (Iron Seas, #4)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)
Kate Locke has always enjoyed making things up — a trait that often got her into trouble as a child, but by which she enjoys making a living. Before writing fiction full time she worked as cook, a journalist and in a photo finishing lab where she saw enough pictures of naked people to rival Hugh Hefner. A guy once asked her out after giving her a roll of film that he expressly requested she develo ...more

The Immortal Empire (3 books)
  • God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #1)
  • Long Live the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #3)
“Battle not with monsters lest you become one.” 7 likes