Start by marking “Chosen By God: Know God's Perfect Plan for His Glory and His Children” as Want to Read:
Chosen By God: Know God's Perfect Plan for His Glory and His Children

Chosen By God: Know God's Perfect Plan for His Glory and His Children

Here is a clear scriptural case for the classic (and sometimes controversial) Christian doctrine of predestination. Through this view of a truly sovereign God, readers will see how sinfulness prevents man from choosing God on his own; instead, God must change people's hearts.
Published September 21st 1994 by Tyndale Momentum (first published October 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Chosen By God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen By God

Start your review of Chosen By God: Know God's Perfect Plan for His Glory and His Children
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With nearly 200,000 copies sold in its 25 years, Chosen by God by Dr. R. C. Sproul is a contemporary classic on predestination, a doctrine that isn't just for Calvinists, says Sproul. It is a doctrine for all biblical Christians. In this updated and expanded edition of Chosen by God, Sproul shows that the doctrine of predestination doesn't create a whimsical or spiteful picture of God, but paints a portrait of a loving God who provides redemption for radically corrupt humans. We choose God becau ...more
Michael
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
There are a few questions you must settle in your mind to determine whether what is written in this book is true.

1. Is God all powerful, all knowing, and does He have the right to execute His Will at all times and in all situations?

2. Do you love Him, esteem Him, and desire Him to the point where you are willing to submit your life to Him, but also your will, your understanding, and your sense of right and wrong in exchange for His?

3. Are you willing to be content and at peace when God decrees s
Angelyn Vaughan
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the few truly life-altering books I've ever read. It (along with scripture, some great sermons, and the Holy Spirit, of course) completely changed the way I think about God, not only in salvation, but in all things.
When I started this book I had recently joined a reformed church and was really reluctant to affirm their doctrines on the sovereignty of God in salvation. As a future missionary I saw reformed theology as a cop-out for people who didn't want to share the gospel with o
Jacob Aitken
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was wondering if I actually needed to read this book, as I have already read other R C books and was familiar with the arguments. Needless to say, this book refreshed a few things I forgot. It is more philosophical than biblical, although the Scripture is there. Although short in size, it is not necessarily an easy read. Sproul does something in this book that I have not seen him do elsewhere: he uses diagrams. A few are:

Justice/Non-justice Mercy

and then there is the not able not to sin diagra
Chad Warner
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
One of the best explanations I've read of Reformed theology (Calvinism). Biblical, logical, and simple (yet deep). It explains several aspects of salvation: predestination, free will, original sin, assurance of salvation.

I read this because I've listened to Sproul's Renewing Your Mind podcast for years, and it's informed my thinking on salvation.

Notes follow.

Predestination and the Sovereignty of God
"It is not freedom that is canceled out by sovereignty; it is autonomy that cannot coexist with so
Joseph
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Far be it from me to give good reviews to a book that argues for Calvinism, but this book really is excellent for a number of reasons.

First of all, it lacks the heat and vitriol and outrageous (at times even slanderous) statements that a lot of books that argue for the reformed view are unfortunately known for. Even if you don't end up agreeing with him, you don't feel on the defensive the way you would after reading something by James White or Robert Morey. The tone is very much like this: "Thi
Matt Carpenter
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was a life-changer. It was the book that slammed the door on my pretentions that men chose God, rather than Him choosing us. It explains the sovereignty of God in salvation better than any book I know of. I'm sure there are longer and more thorough books on the subject, but this is the best I know of to get into your soul and shake things up.
Andrew Fendrich
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-bookshelf
A staple of reformed theology. A quick and easy survey not only of predestination but of the doctrines of grace. R.C. Sproul is a man of great intelligence who can articulate deep theological truths in simple, easy-to-understand terms. By the end, I think I had more highlighted passages than not. :)

A must-read if you want to deepen your faith and your appreciation for God's work in your life.
Mark
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The sin of fallen man is this: man seeks the benefits of God while at the same time fleeing from God Himself."
Craig Turnbull
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At 25 years old, this book still delivers a clear and helpful presentation of the Reformed position on predestination.

Tackling what many critics describe as an abominable view of God, Sproul counters with a very precise and beautiful portrait mixing both the sovereignty of God and the free will of man. Noting that "the freedom of a sovereign is always greater than the freedom of his subjects", Sproul argues for the total control of God over all areas of creation.

But if God is totally in control
Linda
Predestination. Foreknowledge. Election. Free Will. Reprobation. These are among some of the most controversial and misunderstood terms that come up in theological discussions amongst evangelical Christians, and they are the concepts that Dr. Sproul addresses in his most influential little book, Chosen by God. All of these concepts are linked very tightly to one truth that most if not all orthodox Christians claim to accept: the Sovereignty of God. This topic, though, can lead to another whole d ...more
Tanner Keen
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent thorough-but-succinct look at the Reformed view of the doctrine of predestination. Sproul does a great job balancing heavy theological phrases and concepts with practical truth and logic. One particular strength of this book is the focus also given to breaking down and rebutting alternative views/opposing arguments, all of which are commonly heard and used. I feel better equipped to discuss this topic because of this book. Highly recommend.
M.L. Little
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
It is so weird that I am giving this book three stars. But alas, I am nothing if not fair.

For starters, let me state something. I have great difficulty reading C.S. Lewis. Half the time, I have absolutely no idea what he’s saying. I expected this author to be like C.S. Lewis but was pleasantly surprised. It was engaging, readable, easy to understand. My personal copy was a slim and fresh paperback with a modern cover. I genuinely enjoyed reading the first few chapters and even felt that Sproul
John Jeffcoat iii
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dr. R.C. Sproul was my pastor for about ten years, and this is my favorite of the dozens of books he has published. My company (Greatsite.com - The Bible Museum) has displayed our rare Bibles at Dr. Sproul's Ligonier Ministries Conferences in Orlando and in Phoenix, and our facsimile reproductions of rare Bibles have been featured in Dr. Sproul's Ligonier Ministries Resource Catalogue as well.
In his book, Chosen By God, Dr. Sproul puts forth the best argument for a Calvinistic interpretation of
Bryant Rudisill
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Dr. R.C. Sproul's Chosen By God is an incredible presentation of the Reformed view of sovereign predestination. Reformed theology is built on the biblical understanding of man's depravity; a depravity that extends to the totality of his being. Those skeptical of Calvinism's understanding of predestination; those who believe it presents God as unloving need to take the time to mull over Dr. Sproul's words. An understanding of God's utter holiness, man's total depravity, and God's grace, justice, ...more
John Boyne
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
R.C. Sproul was a voice of my childhood. I grew up listening to his lectures on old cassette tapes when my dad was getting ready in the morning. I feel a little ashamed that while I've listen to him so much I have only read a couple of his books. Chosen by God is a little book that clearly and succinctly explains the biblical doctrine of predestination and defends it against the Arminian view of human free will. To everyone who is curious of this doctrine, hasn't heard about it before, or hold s ...more
Alex
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a topic as complex as predestination, Sproul does a great job making it both understandable and easy to follow. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in challenging/strengthening their views on the subject matter.
Emma
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very wonderful, and insightful book. It really does a great job of putting our faith into perspective. 'Chosen by God' by RC Sproul is a very good explanation of what we believe and why we believe it.
Toom
Apr 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Life changing iconic book on Reformed Theology.
Moses
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Arminians
Oh, hang it all. I admit it, this book convinced me. But I don't have to like it!
Matt
Apr 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Great for beginners. Systematic and clear.
Jeremy
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book that the Lord used, apart from scripture, to show me His marvelous grace.
Josh Wilson
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one time it would be nice to have the author here to talk with about some of his points. For instance, Sproul explains on page 55 that grace is given in order for someone to accept Christ, and that without this, no one would choose Christ. This means that there is at least some amount of time during which person has received the grace of God, but is not yet a believer. Though this seems to follow from his arguments, it also seems to draw an unbiblically-warranted conclusion.

There are a
Josh
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I stumbled into reading this book after naively thinking I could Google predestination and arrive at the single answer explaining it. I soon discovered that there are many, many differing explanations on the topic of predestination and free will.

Clearly, I needed a more in depth explanation - preferably one that helped explains things from my Church's point of view (EPC).

R.C Sproul does an excellent job explaining this complex topic. Along the way touches on Calvin (a lot), Luther, Jonathan Edw
Jeanie
This is a great resource along side the word of God. We are chosen by God (Predestination) which is such important doctrine of the Christian life. RC Sproul is a great teacher and writer. I always get a great meal of meat and potatoes with chocolate cake and ice cream. He is very thorough with his teaching. He himself had trouble with this doctrine and explains why. Myself I always had trouble understanding this truth. Does it mean that God is not a God of love?! It is because of his mercy and j ...more
Enzo Luigi
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Once, I had a dinner with some of my good friends. We were having a wonderful chat. Eventually, the topic centered on predestination. What a topic after a good meal! I don’t exactly remember how we got to that topic. But you know what’s next, right? Passionate discussion, if not debate.

My friends and I had different views of predestination, and each one kept pushing for his own view. But the problem is: None of us really know what we’re talking about!

Finally, I read a copy of R.C. Sproul’s Chose
Dave Peterson
Apr 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the lively argument but took issue with several key points.
True freedom must include the freedom/capacity to obey.
It is not clear to me how we should expect that the infinite Father God has given us commands that exceed our capacity to obey.
In Calvinism, it seems you are free to choose A or B, but A is not possible. If this is the meaning of free will, I think that I am not a Calvinist.
Is God big enough to offer Himself to those He knows will reject Him? God is not obliged to love all h
Joe Cassada
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
In Chosen By God, Sproul deals with the major points of Calvinistic soteriology in a clear and concise way. Written for the layperson, this book does a great job of answering objections and exegeting some difficult passages in a style that is both understandable and engaging. It's lengthy enough to give this issue a serious discussion and brief enough not to scare away the average student of the Bible.

I heartily recommend this book for all: Arminians, Calvinists, and those who want to think they
Mary Beth
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
"They say there is nothing more obnoxious than a converted drunk. Try a converted Arminian. Converted Arminians tend to become flaming Calvinists, zealous for the cause of predestination. You are reading the work of such a convert"-R. C. Sproul. This book logically lays out reformed theology in beautiful simplicity while addressing the popular oppositions and resolving them with the truth of God's word.
James
I’m 50 years old, I’ve been in ministry for almost half that, and I am only just now discovering RC Sproul. How did that happen? I really, really enjoyed this book. He writes like an American, reformed CS Lewis. By that I mean he has the ability to take complex ideas and make them simple and memorable and winsome. I can’t wait to read another RC Sproul book. This one, on the doctrine of predestination, was outstanding.
Going to Arminium/Evanglical Church - Predestination is Shaky Subject 15 56 Jan 17, 2013 12:52PM
Bogged down 1 14 May 30, 2009 02:33PM

• Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine
  • Institutes of the Christian Religion, 2 Vols
  • The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
  • The Religious Affections
  • Strange Fire: The Danger of Offending the Holy Spirit with Counterfeit Worship
  • Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing

Dr. R.C. Sproul (1939–2017) was founder of Ligonier Ministries, an international Christian discipleship organization located near Orlando, Fla. He was founding pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla., first president of Reformation Bible College, and executive editor of Tabletalk magazine.

Ligonier Ministries began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pa. In an effort t

News & Interviews

“If there is one single molecule in this universe running around loose, totally free of God’s sovereignty, then we have no guarantee that a single promise of God will ever be fulfilled.” 32 likes
“God’s grace is resistible in the sense that we can and do resist it. It is irresistible in the sense that it achieves its purpose. It brings about God’s desired effect.” 3 likes