Start by marking “Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  4,284 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
This straight-from-the-hip handbook by bestselling author and self-made millionaire Harvey Mackay spells out the path to success for readers everywhere. They will learn how to:

Outsell by getting appointments with people who absolutely, positively do not want to see you, and then making them glad they said "yes!"
Outmanage by arming yourself with information on prospects, cu
Published November 8th 2005 by HarperBusiness (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive, please sign up.

Mike Kowis Not really. It is mostly a book about how to sell products and how to be a good leader.

Ray Kelly
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive is Harvey Mackey’s first book. It’s an outstanding guide for anybody in a sales career or leadership position, and especially useful for new managers. His pointed advice is extremely useful and easy to put into practice. The book is broken up into a bunch of mini-chapters what the author calls Lessons and Quickies. Each lesson gives a little bit of advice or wisdom and are often simple parables versus specific advice. These simple lessons have title ...more
TarasProkopyuk
Книгу для деловых людей «Как уцелеть среди акул» считаю, стоило бы назвать «Как плавать среди китов». Мне кажется, что так было бы ближе к её содержанию.

Именно её название настроило меня встретится в книге с чем то сравни того «как выжить в подковёрных склоках и интригах». Но очень обрадовался, когда мои ожидания разрушились об очень высококачественные советы опытного, умного и весьма ловкого человека.

Такие книги довольно редкие. И эту можно смело внести в списки лучших деловых книг в мире.
Mike Ogilvie
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-helpful
Written in the late '80s, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the content didn't feel dated at all.

In a very short read, the author conveys some critical business concepts that any business owner or salesperson should take to heart. Perhaps what drives it home so much is that the lessons are timeless.

Ideas like really taking the time to know your customer and having true customer service. They seem so obvious and not worth mentioning. But as we all know, even though core business practices l
Sergey Kononenko
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
First of all this book is a bit different from what I was expecting after reading of annotation. My expectation was "one more book about negotiations and surviving in complex situations".

Actually "Swim with the Sharks" is rather brief handbook about everything (negotiations, management, decisions etc) rather then detailed paper about particular topic. I would recommend it to read for those people who has no idea how to be successful and not going to spend time to read many books.

For those who al
Elena Ose
The book is a simple manual for entrepreneurial enthusiasts. It's smart, exciting and easy to read. Above all, the book gives some cunning tips on how one can succeed while doing work that is supposed to be not a job, but actually something that is to be loved by the doer. Everything genius is simple, sir Mackay is another living proof of this Golden Rule of success, all it really takes is a creative approach and lots of patience.
Liz Bromley
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really don't know why I picked up this book. It was there, I needed something to read. I had a high-power job interview coming up and I thought this book would put me in a go-getter frame of mind. I can't say it taught me anything. It is basically a big disorganized assortment of platitudes and self-aggrandizing anecdotes with very little useful insight.
Ian Kloester
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read book when I was starting out in business (1980's) and the lessons are probably just as relevant today as they ever were. Not sure I want to swim with sharks or feel the need to outsell, outmanage, outmotivate or outnegotiate anybody these days, especially with as much fervour as Harvey seems to. Well worth reading though, if only to know the sort of tactics sharks like Harvey like to use on people they meet. Harvey Mackay's list of '66 questions you want to keep tabs on' must be an i ...more
Mike Kowis
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Swim with the Sharks is an EXCELLENT book for salespeople! Harvey Mack really knows how to sell products and his advice is very practical. The only thing that bothered me about this book is that some of his advice is borderline unethical to me. For example, he advises sending in a decoy buyer to make a lowball offer to the seller of a business and then using the info that the decoy discovered about the deal to make an effective offer on the business. I'm sure that tactic is effective, but my con ...more
Luke Gruber
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dan-mehls
I didn't realize Harvey Mackay is a Minnesota boy! Hearing hometown examples make this book more interesting than it already is. It's a generalist book, but it seems his expertise is primarily sales. Overall, the book is very good.
Bill Evans
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read---mixed with real stories---
  • Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will
  • Discovering the Soul of Service
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Paradigms: The Business of Discovering the Future
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
“Knowing your customer means knowing what your customer really wants. Maybe it is your product, but maybe there’s something else, too: recognition, respect, reliability, concern, service, a feeling of self-importance, friendship, help—things all of us care more about as human beings than we care about malls or envelopes.” 0 likes
“He who burns his bridges better be a darn good swimmer” 0 likes