Start by marking “Go Giants” as Want to Read:

Go Giants

Published January 17th 2013 by Faber and Faber (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Go Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go Giants

Start your review of Go Giants
Rebecca
To some Nick Laird will only ever be Mr. Zadie Smith. I’ve read all three of his poetry collections plus both his novels and, though I’m no big fan, I think his writing has an edgy yet academic charm. He edges too close to ‘lad lit’ with the fiction and could do with upping his game à la Jonathan Franzen, though, so for an introduction to his work it’s best to stick with the poetry.

I didn’t like a lot of the Middle English and Oriental-inspired poems here. Many were rather forgettable and just w
Salvatore
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Laird is a nihilist. Or a Nietzschean. I'm sure they carry the same business cards.

According to the poetry within, gods (literary heroes) are to be crushed, shattered, perhaps even pissed on. But that's no reason not to allude or use others' work within to build new monuments that will one day just erode like the statue of Ozymandias.

Laird is a master at angry man poetry, but here his work has become less angry, more cerebral, and still just as impressive as his previous collections. The final p
Emily
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Favorite poems from this included:

Go Giants

Talking in Kitchens: "there it is written down if I forget to say it-- my home is a temple made by your hands"

Special Effects

Willard Brickey
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I often refrain from rating books of poetry because I don't feel qualified, but this is an obvious five stars.
Barrai Heffernan
Solid collection of poetry with a nice mix of poems; some playful, some academic, some bizarre.
I was lucky to see him at the West Cork Literary Festival earlier this year and he reads his poetry very well too.
Brian
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nick Laird is an Irish-born, Cambridge-educated, living in the U.S. (teaches at Princeton) poet that creates interesting layers in his work. The title of this one can be taken in many ways, but reveals his current location (where you choose between the NY Giants or the NE Patriots in American Football) and amusement with American sports and slang. The poem itself riffs hilariously on "Go..." (with everything from "Go Giants" to "Go all ironic"). Among the other layers you'll find scholarly refer ...more
Vincent
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laird's skill grows with each book of poems, but I can't stop loving his first (To a fault) to the point that it obscures my appreciation for the others. This is a fine, assured collection, though I wonder if Laird's losing some of the youthful fun with each new book. Or maybe I'm just nitpicking.
Kathryn
I really want to rate this 3.5 stars, because some of these poems are so so great. The only thing holding me back is that there were a few that felt like Laird showing off how many arcane references he could make. But definitely worth a read. (I really enjoyed the title poem and the long sequence that closes the book if you want to seek those out separately.)
Robbins Library
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jenny-recommends
GO GIANTS displays a range of styles, from small and intimate ("Talking in Kitchens") to tongue-in-cheek ("History of the Sonnet") to wordplay ("Go Giants") to structural ("Special Effects" to literary epic ("Progress"). There's something for everyone, and fans of his earlier collections, TO A FAULT and ON PURPOSE, will be pleased.
Leonard
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was a little surprised at this book. It had a couple poems that were mildly interesting, one of them, the title poem, a "list" that demonstrated some potential for using that form in poetry, but that was it. I probably won't read it again.
Ian
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not particularly impressed. Enjoyed "Annals of Alan," and "Manifesto on Sunday."
David Taylor
Aug 12, 2014
Keith
Nov 12, 2016
Dilara Alemdar
rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2020

• Narcissus and Goldmund
  • Nights In The Gardens Of Spain
  • L'Écume des jours
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Art of Rivalry: Four Friendships, Betrayals, and Breakthroughs in Modern Art
  • The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner
  • The Sea-Wreck Stranger
  • The Spinning Heart
  • Song for the Unraveling of the World
  • The Inner Coast: Essays
  • Leg Over Leg: Volumes Three and Four
  • Leg over Leg: Volumes One and Two (Library of Arabic Literature)
  • Closer
  • The Whale Rider
Nick Laird was born in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland in 1975. He read English Literature at Cambridge University, and then worked for several years as a lawyer specializing in international litigation.

He is the author of two novels, Utterly Monkey and Glover's Mistake, and two collections of poetry, To A Fault and On Purpose. A new volume of poetry, Go Giants, is forthcoming from Faber in Janua