Start by marking “Goat Goes to Playgroup” as Want to Read:
Goat Goes to Playgroup

Goat Goes to Playgroup

Playgroup has begun. Time to have some fun. There's a commotion in the classroom as Goat and the other animals spend the day at playgroup. The musical instruments and the dressing up box are lots of fun, but—oh dear!—Goat gets into a muddle or two. A comforting story for any child starting at, or already attending, a playgroup.
Published 2012 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Goat Goes to Playgroup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goat Goes to Playgroup

Matt Davies
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-by-women
As the title suggests Goat goes to play group, where he has a series of accidents. I love Nick Sharrat's art, the rhyming couplets and the setting which would be instantly recognisable to the target age group. However, I'm left a little unsure about this book, as it's unclear to me wether he is intended as a cautionary figure, or a counter cultural role model, and the page on which he wets himself appears to be intended as a joke. It is entirely possible that I am over thinking this though. The ...more
Hiba Yuki
We go to playgroup, so this was a very relevant read, and we could relate to a lot of what happens! Julia Donaldson's rhyming text is as endearing as ever.
MyGoodBookshelf
My two year old loves this one at the moment. Wants it reading over and over at bedtime.
Library Quine

This delightful rhyming text captures exactly the sorts of activities that happen in (British-style) playgroups and also captures the likeness to the child who has yet to learn to conform to the playgroup expectations and experience. The book appears to be non judgemental, but the choice of (silly) goat as the one who is different implies that he should conform, and I'm not sure that we shouldn't place a higher value on individuality. The setting is spot on, but I find the use of a goat unsettl
Chris
This book really turned me off. If you want your child to "fit in", and "do as he's told" regardless of his well being, this book is for you.

If you can appreciate the joys and uniqueness each child has on their own, and that trying to fit them into little holes where they can conform to society is detrimental to them, I'd think you'd want to stay away from this book.

Being told "don't be silly", made to feel embarrassed to have wet himself, and page after page of material that really irked me.
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Great story for kids having trouble with mommy leaving while they are at daycare. Looks like there are lots of opportunity yes to us the pictures to talk about kids who are different too.

My son just picked it AGAIN from the library.
Alice Hudson
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
The story is okay but the pictures are the best bit. My son relates it to his nursery school with hanging up the coats etc. the page where Goat wee's himself isn't really needed though!
Julie Lewis
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
My 3 year old loves the last page where all the parents pick up the kids. She will linger there for 5 minutes sometimes.
Lorna Dounaeva
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My four year old's new favourite book...
Nick
Magdalena
Sep 08, 2013
Barbara
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story that the kids love about starting school and all the fun things that they will do.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out Cho