Start by marking “The Last Sacrifice” as Want to Read:
The Last Sacrifice

The Last Sacrifice (The Last Disciple #2)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  437 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Helius, Nero's most trusted advisor, anticipates the death of his sworn enemy, the legendary warrior Gallus Sergius Vitas, scheduled to die a gruesome death in the arena. However, the badly beaten man who appears in the amphitheater is not who he seems. Rescued by a stranger and given a mysterious scroll, Vitas is told that he must decipher this letter to find the answers ...more
Published September 19th 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Last Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Sacrifice

Mark
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently posted a review of the first book in this series, The Last Disciple, and loved it. This book was even better. It picks up where the first book ended and brings all of the characters back from the first book.

As I stated in my other review, the authors wrote these books with the premise that the Tribulation spoken of in Revelation has already happened in the first century. I disagree with that idea, but it is still an interesting idea and did not make me enjoy the books any less because
Time
Jul 25, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This will be "The Empire Strikes Back" of the series. Too much time reintroducing the characters, to long to get to the story, and when it does, stops too early.
Gruesome in spots. PG14 for implied violence/adult situations.
Melissa
Aug 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The is the second book to the The Last Disciple which I didn't like. I didn't like this one any better. It's still the horrible details of Rome. I also thought that by the end of this book we'd have closure of Vitas and Sophia. But we don't. They plan to drag it out for one more book.
Christian Fiction Addiction
The Last Sacrifice sees the return of Gallus Sergius Vitas, who had been sentenced to death by Emperor Nero and his most trusted adviser, Helius. While Nero waits in the arena stadium to watch a man he believes to be Vitas die at the hands of a gladiator, little does he know that Vitas has already been spirited away out of Rome after having been tossed onto a ship along with the Apostle John. Along with his freedom, Vitas has been given a scroll written in Hebrew and filled with symbolism he has ...more
Andrew Miller
The second installment in The Last Disciple series, The Last Sacrifice picks up nearly where the first book leaves off, with Gallus Sergius Vitas fleeing Rome aboard a ship. He has been entrusted with a secret missive, instructing him in what he should do in order to avoid Nero. As it turns out, the men who arranged for his rescue from the arena are conspiring against Nero in order to overthrow him, and they hope to use Vitas in that coup. Whilst Vitas attempts to unravel the mystery he has been ...more
Justin Nichols
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
4.8 -- Not quite as good as its predecessor, but still an excellent novel. I'm very impressed with this historical fiction story so far. A lot to cover factually, but it's not overpowering the micro-level of character interactions and plotlines. I really enjoyed this 2nd book in the series of 3 and am extremely excited to find and start The Last Temple!
Josiah
While an enticing sequel to the previous book, The Last Sacrifice suffers heavily from a lack of clear direction.

Pros:

A lot of the pros from the previous book still stand. The characters are still interesting and complicated, the eschatological view is still great, and the book is still page-turning and very hard to put down. While none of these are as top-line as in book one, they're still good enough to keep the book interesting.

Cons:

While this was present in the previous book, this becomes ve
Renn Shearin
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helius, Nero’s most trusted adviser, anticipates the death of his sworn enemy, the legendary warrior Gallus Sergius Vitas, scheduled to die a gruesome death in the arena. However, the badly beaten man who appears in the amphitheater is not who he seems. Rescued by a stranger and given a mysterious scroll, Vitas is told he must decipher this letter to find the answers he needs—a letter that Helius is also determined to decipher and to keep hidden from Nero. As Nero’s reign of terror grows, so doe ...more
Cathy
The sequel to "The Last Disciple." This was the continuing story of Romans and Jews during Nero's era of persecution. It followed in much the same sort of adventure and story line, and as before, the tales of persecution could be troubling. Intrigue.

Favorite quote:

"When you live with the Christos in your heart, you can face any tribulation."

In the afterword, the authors speak about John being told to measure the temple in Revelation 11:1-2, and that is partly why they believe that the temple st
Judah
While I don't completely agree with the views set forth in this series, I found this second volume much more enjoyable than the first.

It still has too many character threads (I'm constantly mentally trying to catch up with who's who, doing what, and with whom), and does end AGAIN on a cliff hanger. Despite this, this series is probably one of the most meaty and wonderfully honest Christian fiction works of modern note. It's a refreshing change from the female-slanting fluff one mostly finds. It'
Jamie Boehmer
You can look at this book as a counter to the incredibly famous Left Behind series. While the LB series takes an approach to the tribulation occurring at some point later in the future, with the anti-Christ being some European evil personified, The Last Sacrifice (part of a series) writes from a framework that the tribulation has already happened, specifically during the reign of Nero before the destruction of the Jewish temple in A.D. 70. It's a very interesting and compelling story. The charac ...more
Tiffany
Feb 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Sacrifice by Hank Hengraaff and Sigmund Brouwer is a historical fiction book written just after the disciples time. It is a continuation of the first in the series The Last Disciple The description of this book had me super excited to read it. Unfortunately it left me wanting. It is very wordy and slow, very, very slow. I kept reading hoping it would pick up but it doesn’t. If you want a lot of facts that aren’t completely pertinent to the story then this might be the book for you. This ...more
William Dicks
The book was well written, it kept my attention, and I think the characters were mostly well developed. The book is written from a partial-preterist point of view with the belief that the book of Revelation was written before the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple in A.D. 70.

I do believe that the ending could have been better s it was a real anti-climax when I suddenly realized I had just finished reading the last chapter.
Jenna
Apr 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this quite as much as the first. As one other reviewer said, there was too much time reintroducing characters and plot lines from the first book when I just wanted more story. And I was very sad to find out that, though this clearly seems to lead up to a third book, there is not one available...what happened?!
Laura Verret
I reiterate everything I said about The Last Disciple here -

- and add that this book dropped off in the middle of the story with absolutely no resolution! Hanegraaff and Brouwer better write the third book soon because I want to know what happens to the fifty or so characters which this book left dangling!
Christy
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story/stories about Romans, Jews and Nazarenes mixing differnt characters so you could view differnt perspectives. I accidently read this one before The Last Disiple, but it was easy to get into the story. The end is abrupt and leaves a lot of questions, hoping for another book.

If you liked the Left Behind series, you're going to looove this series!
Geneve
Mar 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting to learn about the time period. The story was pretty engaging, but I found out it's the second in a series so I guess I'd better read the first. There were a lot of characters and I got lost sometimes. A little gruesome here and there, but over all pretty clean. I enjoyed it.
Leah
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 4 1/2 stars (: I will write a review won my blog soon. But I think I liked this second book in the series better than the first one, quite possibly.

Review here: http://assertionsofahousewife.blogspo...
Denae Christine
These reminded me of the Left Behind series, except set in the 1st century. The government is cracking down on Christianity, and God's church is taking a stand.
Chris Griffith
It was okay - probably not good as the first volume. Too many characters - plot was a little confusing and disjointed.
Jon
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating - especially to find plot lines related to the early Church. I often ponder how I would have held up under similar circumstances!
Dimmy-jimmy
very good story about early christian period.
Chris Deforge
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great historical fiction read. Really helps in understanding some biblical history and matters of eschatology as well.
Kay Pelham
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm ready for the 3rd installment
John Otte
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, thought-provoking read that gives its readers a lot of food for thought about what Revelation really means. I'm not sure I agree with the author's conclusions, but it's a good challenge.
Amandaemata
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a phenomenal series. Incredibly well-written with so much attention to details, especially the culture of the time. Just a great series.
Jobeth
Jun 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall it was a good book, but the ending I didn't reallly care for. It left you hanging.
Bronco Mania
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Not bad, but a little slower than the first one.
Austin
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was very fast-paced, but very riveting ( I could hardly put it down) Five-stars! recommended for anybody that enjoys historical fiction.
Geraldene
so far somewhat gruesome
  • Hostage Lands (Heroes & History #1)
  • The Weeping Chamber
  • Second Touch (A.D. Chronicles #2)
  • Daughter of Liberty (The American Patriot, #1)
  • Night Song: A Story of Sacrifice (World War II Liberator #2)
  • The Yellow Rose (Lone Star Legacy, #2)
  • Glimpses of Truth
  • Sarah's New World: The Mayflower Adventure
  • Matthew's Story: From Sinner to Saint (The Jesus Chronicles, #4)
  • Necessary Evils (Left Behind Political #3)
  • Hunted (Left Behind: The Kids, #35-37)
Hank Hanegraaff serves as president and chairman of the board of the North Carolina–based Christian Research Institute International. He is also host of "The Bible Answer Man" radio program, which is broadcast daily across the United States and Canada as well as around the world through the Internet at http://www.equip.org. Widely considered to be one of the world's leading Christian apologists, H ...more
More about Hank Hanegraaff...

The Last Disciple (3 books)
  • The Last Disciple