Start by marking “Almost A Family” as Want to Read:
Almost A Family

Almost A Family

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  745 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
A second chance at love?

Ten years ago Virgina Catron and Bailey Callihan had to get married, but they loved each other fiercely and adored their son when he came into their lives. Then fate dealt them a cruel blow when their infant son was snatched in a grocery store. Their new marriage couldn’t withstand the strain and when it became clear their baby would not be found, t
Nook, 199 pages
Published October 29th 2011 by Stephanie Bond, Inc. (first published February 3rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Almost A Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost A Family

Diana Hockley
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
The plot for this novel - a child, kidnapped as a two-month old baby, turns up after eight years and in the meantime the parents have divorced - is different and refreshing. At the beginning, I was highly intrigued and ready for a good, trauma-filled read with a little romance on the side.
Unfortunately, what I got was the other way around.
I have always enjoyed Ms Bond's books, but this time I do not believe the humour and "light romance" worked. It appeared as though the author couldn't decide w
Toni
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Almost a Family is not a typical Bond book. Don’t get me wrong, it has great characters and the story is well-written. However, it is not the sexy humorous read you tend to expect from Bond. The storyline itself is far more serious. The infant son of a young couple is tragically kidnapped from the local grocery store. Despite endless searching he is never found. The story begins ten years later. The baby, a defiant ten year-old, has been found. His “mother” just died of cancer and he is sent bac ...more
Lynda Kelly
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Yet another super book by this author and one I read she'd originally written decades ago and just re-jigged a little to make it current. I thought it was great. Her books are very rarely indeed bad stories....this is my 11th by her and only one have I given 3 stars, the remainder easily 4 and 5* reads. Licence To Thrill wasn't a favourite of mine is all.
This one was just a nice story (most of the time) and definitely a more warm and cozy tale by her. However, there's nothing wrong with "nice" e
Peggy Puetz
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good romance

Loved the book. Was a very good romance and family story. Liked the story and how they found their child after eight years.
Amy H
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was totally different from any other of the Stephanie Bond books that I have read... it was very heartbreaking to read, but it was an amazing book. it actually had a lot of truth in it which made me love the book even more.

This book is about Virginia and Bailey. They were a great couple. They got married when they were very young. They had a child that wasn't planned. Just after two month of giving birth, Virginia was a the grocery store, and their baby was kidnapped. This destroyed th
Bukcrz
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidnapping
As a whole, the book, the writing and the characters were perfect.
The heroine is a very strong and relate-able character. I understand her actions and they are never overboard and or insincere towards her character. She really is a very flesh out character that I couldn't help but feel for her even though half the time I don't agree with her.
The hero himself is just as great. I think I feel more for him because he was the one who has a lot of growing up. His character truly is the one that nee
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Also on http://sillymelody.blogspot.com

Yesterday I started Almost a Family by Stephanie Bond. I really to do like this author, so I was lucky to get a chance to read another of her work. So, here is a quick sum up of the story:

About eight years ago, Virginia Carton and Bailey Kallihan had there family torn apart by a tragedy. Their son was stole from them, which tore their family apart.

Eight years later, the news came their son was alive and living in Florida. So, fate has thrust them back toge
Brenda
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Fourth of Stephanie Bonds books that I read. I think it is alao written by Stephanie Bancroft? Anyway not humerous like the other books I have read by her. This one was more serious and was very engrossing I had to finish the book couldn't put it down. There is a description here on Good Reads: A second chance at love?

Martha
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book did not disappoint. Virginia and Bailey obviously struggle to reconnect with their son when he's located years after having been kidnapped as an infant. Bailey Jr., now known as Chad, was sad because the woman he knew as his mother had died. He didn't want another mother and that was very upsetting to Virginia because she had birthed him and his childhood had been taken from her. She felt robbed and rightly so. Bailey Jr./Chad never had a father so getting to know Bailey was all that s ...more
Rebecca Jo
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it
A young husband & wife have their child kidnapped when he's only a few months... so what happens when years pass & they have since divorced, but the son is found alive & healthy & is now 8 years old.

Bailey & Ginny have gone seperate ways & now that their son is back in the picture, they have to deal with each other again.

From learning where Bailey was all this time & who kidnapped him - From going to pick up Baily Jr, who is now Chad, to bringing him home & the re
C is for **censored**
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
The star rating given reflects my opinion within ‘the official goodreads rating system’.

1 star: Didn’t Like it
2 stars: It’s Okay
3 stars: Liked it
4 stars: Really Liked it
5 stars: It Was Amazing

I don’t really give a rat-fuck that there are some who think I ‘owe’ an explanation for my opinion. Nope, nada, and not sorry about it.

Sometimes I may add notes to explain what my opinions are based on, and sometimes I don’t. I do this for me, on my books, in my library and I don’t ‘owe’ any special snowfla
Kim
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
The concept of the book sounded great to me. Ginny and Bailey married young because she was pregnant. Shortly after their son was born, he was kidnapped. Now, 8 years later, he is found alive. Ginny and Bailey have since divorced and these 3 have to find a way to become a family. My problem with it was I did not like the character of Ginny, she seemed kind of snotty and cold. Chad, their son, was just plain a brat. And Bailey (found it hard to have a grown man called Bailey, my female dog's name ...more
Liza
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book, romance, 2012
The book struck a chord on a personal note, however all in all, it was exactly as described: a "feel good romance."

(As much as it annoys me to take this route, I'd have to say it's more of a 2.5 to 3 than a solid 2 star review. It was an enjoyable but short novel that didn't require a lot of thought process or attention span. I happen to like Stephanie Bond's books, so it doesn't shock me that I enjoyed this one, even if wouldn't necessarily bother to reread it.)
Traci
This was...ok. I agree with some other reviews that Ginny seemed stiff. I understand she had her differences with Bailey but she never gave him a chance throughout the book to prove that he grew up. Then all of sudden after Bailey basically shakes sense into her, she gets it. Ugh. I kept reading this book wondering when it would end (and since it's part of trio on my Kindle, I didn't know how much longer I had). I'm glad it was free!
Terrie Stamey
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost a Family-Great story!

The ups and downs of a couple that have lost a child to a kidnapping, was so heartbreaking and what finally brought them all back together again was so sweet. Lot's of ups and downs when the boy was reunited with his real family, but made the story come to life.
Bethany
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephanie-bond
Being in the predicament that these characters were in would be horrific. The way Stephanie put it all together seemed realistic. But then again I've never been in that situation so I can't have an honest opinion on that. However I did like how the story flew and loved the ending. It's an emotional book with a love story behind all the craziness in between :)
Vickie
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
The author writes well. This book had a delicate subject so I almost didn't read it. The author handled it well. I didn't always like Bailey, at times he was a bit chauvinistic, but I did like how he related with Chad. At times Chads character acted & talked older than an 8 yr old, but it was fiction so I didn't dwell on it. Talented writer, but I'm not one to read sex scenes so I skipped those.
L.J. Epps
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I thought it was interesting from beginning to end. I think it's the fastest I've ever read a book. Finished it in about three days. My only complaint is would have liked less sex and more romance.
Jessica Cowgill
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
this one surprised me. I have had the chance to read a couple of her books before and loved the comedy..but this one was more serious and I liked it. She is a wonderful writer and I plan to read many more of her books.
Lauren
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
the plot of reconnecting with your child after he had been kidnapped years ago was interesting. this could have been really heavy but it was not. that was fine by me, as i often read by grabbing 5 minutes here or there.
Angela
Oct 03, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
16 May 2014: Currently FREE, on Kindle, as part of a bundle: Mad About You
10/3/2012: Free on Kindle
Leigh Mitchell
It was okay, quick read but predictable. Nothing particularly exciting happened and I found the boy a bit advanced for 8 years old. Would have been more exciting if finding him had been part of the story.
Ruth Loizides
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute though dragged out
Janet
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
K
Shari Nocera
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
interesting premise but very simplistic and predictable, cliches galore- disappointing
Robin
Apr 18, 2013 added it
good escape reading
Theresa
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice, little feel good story.
Cindy
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Was a good story but lacked something. No excitement.
Kary
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
i loved the ending always a fun read
Maureen Mantrop-utterback
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
cute
  • Under the Covers
  • Do or Di
  • Family Ties (Sunset Crescent, #1)
  • Catch Me a Catch
  • Dog Nanny
  • Love By Accident
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • Body Temperature and Rising (Lakeland Witches, #1)
  • Baby, I'm Back! (Return to Redemption, #2)
  • Dreaming of You
  • This Time Forever
  • Tell Me No Lies (Lily's House, #2)
  • Roll The Dice (Vegas, #2)
  • Girl Of My Dreams
  • Tough Cookie (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #2)
  • Emily's Affair
  • Regret
  • Necessary Detour
USA TODAY bestselling author Stephanie Bond was seven years deep into a systems engineering career and pursuing an MBA at night when an instructor remarked that she had a flair for writing and suggested that she submit to academic journals. But Stephanie, a voracious reader, was only interested in writing fiction–more specifically, romantic fiction.

Upon completing her master’s degree and with no f
More about Stephanie Bond...

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)