Start by marking “Stillwater” as Want to Read:
Stillwater

Stillwater

3.14  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In 1938, five towns in western Massachusetts were flooded to create a huge reservoir.

In this beautifully rendered novel of coming of age, of loyalty and betrayal, good and evil, and of bravery and an abiding love, Stillwater marks a significant literary step forward for William Weld in what has already emerged as a notable writing career.

Fifteen-year-old Jamieson, who live
Published January 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Stillwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stillwater

J
May 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debut-novel
BEWARE. I DON'T FLAG SPOILERS. BUT I DON'T PUT MY REVIEWS OUT ON ANY FEED, EITHER.

Knocked my socks off. Didn't think a former prosecutor-governor had the skills to write what I'd call artistic, rather than mass-circulation, fiction.

Combines an interesting (don't know if historically based) story of political corruption and intrigue with well-observed nature descriptions with a coming-of-age first love tale told by a mature man looking back.

I live in the NV desert now but grew up in northeastern
Heidi
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Stillwater by former Massachusetts governor, William Weld. Historical fiction based on the flooding of Swift valley to form the Quabbin Reservoir. Could have been riveting, as I find that whole topic fascinating. Instead it moved at a glacial pace for the first 3/4s, then picked up the tempo and the interest in the last 1/4. Almost gave up on it, except, like I said, I find the topic fascinating. Makes me wonder…who edits these things??? Can’t wait to move onto something completely different.
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
this book had potential. and although i am surprised the author, a former governor and federal prosecutor, sustained from writing in a biased voice, he didn't seem to keep his thoughts straight. the book was hard to follow at times and he focused on too many small details. he was somewhat repetitive and left out other details that leave you to wonder.
Alan
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Curiosity drove me to pick this up, but I really kinda liked it. It is almost magical realism. It centers around the destruction of the four central Massachusetts towns in the 1930s to make way for the Quabbin Reservoir to provide water to Boston. It is all seen through the eyes of a young boy. I was not a huge fan of Weld as a governor, but he's not a terrible novelist.
Ed
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Coming of age novel - 15 year old Jamieson's experiences during 1938 as the state of Massachusetts prepares to flood the Swift River Valley, drowning 5 towns in the process, to create the Quabbin Reservoir. A character is the father of Terry Mullally featured in Author Weld's prior novels.
Holli
Jan 11, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2004
This book had amazing potential, but was poorly written and more about hunting/fishing than the building of the Quabbin Reservoir. A huge disappointment.
Sue
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Some really lovely writing, beautiful descriptive passages regarding life in nature. But, overall just a little too "odd" for me.
Kelly
Apr 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
As a quiet, literary journey novel, it was excellent. As a kind of plot- or character-driven novel I prefer to read, not really my cup of tea.
Chris Boyd
Dec 15, 2014
Marnie
Jul 30, 2007
Joe
rated it did not like it
Apr 04, 2012