Start by marking “Storytelling: Art and Technique” as Want to Read:
Storytelling: Art and Technique

Storytelling: Art and Technique

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews

Join the countless professionals who have benefited from the best how to storytelling guide available today. "Storytelling: Art and Technique" is a proven handbook and selection tool that shows you how to select, prepare, and tell stories to and for children aged 3 to 13. Ideal for both beginning and experienced storytellers working in public or school library settings, th

Hardcover, Third Edition, 344 pages
Published January 30th 1996 by Libraries Unlimited

To ask other readers questions about Storytelling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storytelling

Julie
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't normally include textbooks in my list of stuff I've read, but this was a great resource (and I read it exhaustively, unlike every other textbook I've ever encountered).
Michelle Eisele
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone wanting to improve their art of storytelling, this is a fantastic resource!
September Michaud
This book is divided into four parts.

Part one was the most helpful to me. It offers an overview of the history of storytelling and how to cater storytelling to particular age groups. I learned about the "Ready to Read @ Your Library" program and how to implement it. I learned that a huge part of a good story time (and of a children's librarian's job) is to educate parents and caregivers about how to aid their children's learning.

Part one also gave me an overview and format options for baby stor
Kristen Callihan
This is a really good resource if you are new to storytelling. I had to read this books for a class, and I have found it very helpful in introducing me to the art of storytelling, and how to have an effective and fun storytelling event. It even talks about how and what stories to present stories to different age groups, students with disabilities, and provides numerous resources for you to look through for your next storytelling event. I rather enjoyed how this books walked us through the proces ...more
Dan
I once read that if you want to be successful, surround yourself with successful people. Since many of us may not know such people, reading great books by successful people is an excellent option. This is such a book.

Nancy Lamb distills more than 30-years of experience and 43 books into this easy to read and excellent resource. In particular, her Twenty-five Rules For Good Writing toward the end of the book are worth the price of admission. She claims it took her 15-years to learn these rules.
Theresa
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is THE text for those studying beginning storytelling. All of the information is interesting and the history provides a good foundation for those entering the art. Parts are a bit dry, but overall the text is a very strong companion to a class. I wouldn't try to use it as a singular, independent tool, but it works with guidance and discussion.

The resources in the back are extrememly useful.
Erica
GOLD for educators, care-givers, librarians, and storytellers. This book is an incredible resource. Immense bibliographies list in-print stories and reference sources, as well as professional organizations and web resources. Literacy nerds, like myself, need only to review the table of contents to commence salivation.
Margaux
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of good ideas and techniques (as the title suggests), and it has a smattering of useful stories for each age group. I'd use this if you're a beginning storyteller because it also gives you a history of the tradition you're about to become a part of. It's also illustrated with anecdotes from the authors' own experiences.
Shannan Hicks
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the required textbook for a storytelling class of mine. I am a library school student. I will be keeping this one and referring to it. Easy to read and will surve as a great reference for me professionally.
A.C. Paige
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Probably the easiest text book I've ever had to read because I actually enjoyed it.
Renee Brown
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytelling
Well-rounded textbook. Excellent bibliographies.
Sirena McKinley
Very good reference book.
Tracy
Jul 12, 2011 added it
For my summer class on storytelling.
Rebecca