Start by marking “Summerset Abbey (Summerset Abbey, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summerset Abbey (Summerset Abbey, #1)

Summerset Abbey (Summerset Abbey #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  2,043 Ratings  ·  315 Reviews
Reminiscent of Downton Abbey, this first novel in a new series follows two sisters and their maid as they are suddenly separated by the rigid class divisions within a sprawling aristocratic estate and thrust into an uncertain world on the brink of WWI...

Rowena and Victoria, daughters to the third son of the Earl of Summerset, have always treated their housekeeper’s daughte
Published January 15th 2013 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 2013)

Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are obsessed with Downton Abbey and don't mind a slightly less appealing version

Recently, I had someone ask me to explain the t.v. show Downton Abbey to them and the closest explanation that I could find is that it's like an older version of a soap opera, without the demon possessions and twins being born with two different fathers.

Since Summerset Abbey is sort of like a book version of Downton in print form, then I guess I'd have to use the same explanation for this review. I mean, you can't really call Summerset a historical romance because there's too much attention pai
Naoms
Originally Posted on Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek

3.5

Where should I start with “Summerset Abbey?” I’ll start by saying that this is a very depressing book. Which is not surprising, because it is set in a very depressing time in women’s history. This book made me cry. Not because there is a traumatic event like a death. No, I cried, because 100 years ago the lives of Prudence, Victoria and Rowena was life for women all over the world. I cried, because even though it will be 2013 in two
Misfit
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tough one to review, and in the end I find I'm agreeing 100% Erin's review and can't add much more except for the mystery of the older Earl/Duke:

On page 43 the girls observe a giant portrait of their grandfather the eighth duke. Yet, their uncle (the son of the old *duke*) is the Earl of Summerset. Late in the book on page #213, the grandfather is "the old earl" and on page #282 he is "the late Earl of Summerset". Note: I have a finished copy from the library and not an ARC.

I did enjo
Bonnie
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
A copy of Summerset Abbey was provided to me by Gallery Books/Edelweiss for review purposes.

The year is 1913 and Sir Philip Buxton has passed leaving his two daughters all alone. Placed into the care of their Uncle until the time they decide to marry, their life becomes upended when they are moved from their home to Summerset Abbey. Victoria and Rowena are also separated from their friend Prudence. Prudence was raised alongside the girls their entire lives and they are a
Erin
Find the enhanced version of this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I've wrestled with my feelings on T.J. Brown's Summerset Abbey several times and I think I've finally put my finger on the problem. I desperately wanted to love this book, the time period offers a wealth of material, but that being said, I found the piece much more of a challenge than I'd originally anticipated and didn't end it as satisfied as I'd hoped.

By far my favorite aspect of the book is the o
This is a Downton Abbey-esque Books but even if I tried hard to enjoy it, I must confess I didn't managed to like it.

The idea of the story is interesting, typical from an Edwardian era. But there is a lack of true emotion aan real engagement among the main characters which makes the reader to loose interest into the plot.

I hate when I finish a book and I have to ask the stupid question: and so what??

Probably I won't read any other book by this author. There are better books on this subject.

Katie
This was a book I was really looking forward to. Mostly because I love historical novels, but also because I LOVE "Downton Abbey," and this definitely sounded Downton-esque. And thankfully, it totally was!

I think this is a good book for fans of Anna Godbersen - there are similarities in that they're both historical, with multiple POVs, and focus on the lives of catty (or semi-catty) girls with lots of drama in their lives. But I think people who were frustrated with the girls in Anna Godbersen's
Tatiana
Т.Дж. Браун «Аббатство Саммерсет. Семейная тайна».

«Аббатство Саммерсет. Семейная тайна» - это первая книга трилогии американской писательницы Тэрри Браун. Аннотация обещает нам блеск аристократического общества, семейный тайны, интриги эпохи короля Эдуарда.

Вначале романа мы встречаем трех героинь – Пруденс, Ровену и Викторию, которым после смерти своего покровители приходятся переехать в Аббатство Саммерсет, которое принадлежит дяде Ро и Вик, где всем трем предстоит начать свою новую жизнь. Де
Caz
I've given this a C+ for narration and a C for content at AudioGals, so I'm leaving it at 3 stars.

Summerset Abbey
seems to have been clearly aimed at the Downton Abbey market, and not just because of the similarity in the names. Summerset is set in 1913, and is the first of a trilogy that follows events in the lives of three young women – sisters Rowena and Victoria Buxton and their informally adopted sister, Prudence Tate.

The story opens with the funeral of Philip Buxton, younger brother of the
Vicki
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For all you Downton Abbey fans, this just may be the book for you. Set in great Britain in 1913, Summerset Abbey captures a snapshot in time when one way of life is emerging just as another is fading away. This period is remembered as La Belle Epoque, during the Edwardian era when the privileged are clinging to a lifestyle that puts them at the top of the "caste system," while others are awakening to the issues of suffrage and the extremely hard lives of the poor and unfortunate whose labors ena ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 20, 2014 11:15AM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 12:39PM
Translation into Spanish, why not? 1 2 Jul 01, 2014 06:46PM
Goodreads Librari...: series type 5 36 May 24, 2013 04:13PM
  • The Last Summer
  • The Passing Bells (Passing Bells, #1)
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • Habits of the House (Love & Inheritance Trilogy, #1)
  • The Ambassador's Daughter (The Kommandant's Girl, #0.5)
  • The Typewriter Girl
  • Rutherford Park (Rutherford Park #1)
  • The Glitter and the Gold
  • Netherwood (Eve Williams, #1)
  • A Spear of Summer Grass
  • Ashenden
  • Victoria Rebels
  • Cinders & Sapphires (At Somerton, #1)
  • Manor of Secrets
  • The Forgotten Queen (Tudor Court #4)
  • A Moment Comes
  • Roses Have Thorns: A Novel of Elizabeth I (Ladies in Waiting #3)
  • A White Room

Summerset Abbey (3 books)
  • A Bloom in Winter (Summerset Abbey, #2)
  • Spring Awakening (Summerset Abbey, #3)
“She urged her mount into a cantor,” 0 likes