Start by marking “Space Needle: The Spirit of Seattle” as Want to Read:
Space Needle: The Spirit of Seattle

Space Needle: The Spirit of Seattle

Conceived and constructed 50 years ago, Berger details a broad spectrum of people who were associated with the construction, design and management of Seattle's Space Needle, capturing forgotten anecdotes and details along the way. Covering visits by the Kennedys, astronauts, Elvis, as well as real kings and emperors, Berger's account includes forgotten history, such as ...more
Published 2012 by Documentary Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Space Needle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Needle

Start your review of Space Needle: The Spirit of Seattle
Rebecca McNutt
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seeing Seattle's giant Space Needle is on my bucket list. I loved this book's history, the story it tells of how this massive landmark was constructed and the way it became an unforgettable icon of Washington State.
Tiffany
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful history of the Space Needle, from its original idea as a landmark for the then-upcoming 1962 World's Fair to today (well, 2012 anyway; see below).

This book seems both brief and in-depth, and I don't understand how I can feel that way. Berger gives wonderful stories about the concept, the building, the attraction, and what happened to the Needle after the fair, and yet it doesn't feel like it's in-depth enough. Maybe because what he does give is so wonderful that I just want him to
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The photos raise this book up to 4 stars, especially the one of the revolving restaurant being tested in a car park.
Kristin
Nov 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved traveling to Seattle with Steven in October 2012! It thankfully did not rain on us once :) We enjoyed eating dinner at the Space Needle and spending time on the observation deck! This book reminded me of a few things and had a nice collection of photos. Learning about the construction of the Space Needle was awesome!!
Jen
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for Seattle history, so this fit right in. It was a nice and not too dense history of the Space Needle. I learned some things about it that I'd never known, and got an inside look into Seattle's most famous building. And if for no other reason, go get the book and look at the historical photographs. They're great!
Bob Dirienzo
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun read. I picked this up while visiting Seattle in July and enjoyed reading about the planning and construction of the needle. It's amazing that not a person died during construction after seeing the pictures of the iron workers dangling over the edge of the steel trusses at 600 ft above ground with not a single harness!
Thom
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A nice collection of pictures and diagrams, and a good history of the Seattle icon.
Diana