Start by marking “Monsters Love Colors” as Want to Read:
Monsters Love Colors

Monsters Love Colors

An explosively bright and colorful picture book with lots of kid appeal

Did you know that monsters love to scribble, scribble, mix, dance, and wiggle?!

Why? Because monsters love to make new colors!

Celebrate along with the hilarious monsters in this wild and energetic picture book. Mixing and discovering color has never been so much fun! Sure to spark the imaginative artist
Published February 5th 2013 by HarperCollins (first published February 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Monsters Love Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsters Love Colors

Start your review of Monsters Love Colors
Cliff Dyer
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sandra
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Monsters love colors. Monsters love to mix colors to make new favorites colors. And what better than mixing colors ON your friends? They do a lot of scribble, mix, dance and wiggle when mixing colors! Mess is allowed. Color on the walls is ok. Color inside the lines is not required.

This is a gracious book for learning and playing with primary colors and what happens when they mix. I know there are many good books on this topic, but this is a laughable one!

The illustrations are superb, so simple
Jill
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this, I was kind of like, ho hum, another color book--thinking that other ones have done it better. Not that this was bad, just not great. And then we got to the mixing colors part and the 4 gray monsters get to pick their new favorite color. The first one picks orange and the 4th, smallest monster says orange! The 2nd one picks green and the littlest monster says green! Then when they're coloring the monster green, he says, me next! just like the little kid he is. ...more
Peace_Love_Reading
Checked this one out of the library and after reading it I will be buying it. I absolutely loved this book!!!! It was perfect for my 5 and 3 year old. My 5 year old was able to read a sentence on each page. That sentence had 6 of his sight words and then a color. I loved how smoothly bye the end he read that sentence. He also is learning how to spell color words , and also what colors mix to make another color. Now my 3 year was able to practice his color recognition . I had him tell me what ...more
One more, please!
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great starter book for learning about primary and secondary colors. The three main characters Red, Yellow and Blue take us on a fun colorful adventure that ends with a rainbow monster. My children have recently started to learn about mixing paints to create different colors so this was a must-read for us.
AnnieM
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting way to teach the mixing of colors.

The illustrations kind of drive me a little nuts because they are all over the place.

My biggest concern is that if some kid does draw in this book, we won't be able to tell.

Melissa Rochelle
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Out of all the books we read and looked at tonight, this is the only one that my one-year-old stopped to actually follow along with. The illustrations are exciting and there are just enough silly sounds to make reading it fun while still teaching the colors.
Nick Somsavanh
Monsters Love Colors (2013) is a picture book written and illustrated by Mike Austin that cleverly uses the entire space of every page by filling the layout with massive bursts of kinetic energy in the form of colors, characters, scribbles and words of all fonts and sizes that require the reader to enthusiastically read the material. The short sentences in each page come in fun rhyme schemes that help developing minds see and hear the color on each page as its own concept. Some of the rhyme ...more
Randi Triantafillou
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Monsters Love Colors, is a great book to help young children with their colors. It is more than just another book to help children learn their colors; this book uses rhyming, is descriptive, uses fun/crazy illustrations, and teaches children how to make new favorite colors. Some examples from the book: " What new favorite color can we make for you?" " ORANGE!" " scribble, scribble, mix, dance, and wiggle!" " Mixing red and yellow makes ORANGE!" Another fun rhyming example is: "My favorite color ...more
Heidi-Marie
I was looking for library books to take home so the kids had a nice pile to choose from over the weekend. Monsters and colors I figured would appeal to SS, and SD likes to help him with those colors. So she picked that one for Family Bedtime book and we all enjoyed. Fun way to show mixing the colors--especially with a sort of monster dance. If you want simple, go with Mouse Paint. If you want the interactive element, this is great.
Kirsten
This book is perfect to read aloud. It has just enough characters to do funny voices, it has silly sounds and words in it and teaches about colors.
The repetitive form to the story can be great for building the narrative skills, the crazy fonts can be used to develop print awareness.
The pictures are simple and bright. Great for a toddler/preschool storytime.
Miss Sarah
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I really liked this color book about monsters describing colors and how two colors make another but what I really love is the movmenet that the mosnters make to make each color I can see my kids making those movements.
DeA
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for young children as it is a fun to read and teaches about colors and mixing colors (primary and secondary). If you child loves to move while you read have them dance with the monsters, it is terribly cute. Recommend to teachers and parents with young children.
Jodee
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tessa
Scribble, scribble, scribble. What color is the monster? Some monsters are a blank slate and want to be a specific color. What does blue and yellow make? These are of some of the things you find in the book.
Bekka
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one is very fun! Its a great introduction to color theory for kids. The rhymes are fun and the illustrations are very fun. Parents will enjoy this as well as their kids. It may prompt some creative crayon play!
Kelly
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Used for monster themed storytime!
John
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It was very funny. Why did monsters color the end? Because monsters have to not be at the end[papers], they only have to be in the book!
Kimberly
I used this one for a "colors" themed storytime on 7/10/18. The pictures are so fun, and the kids got a kick out of all of the wiggling!
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fun choice for younger students learning about colors. I love that the monsters scribble!
Becky Kondritz
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: margaret-gma
Liked the rhythm and the movement in the art work.
Joleen
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great bedtime story!
Andrew
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Red is my favorite colour!!! ...more
Bailey
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun one for teaching colors and color mixing! I love the illustrations.
Ketutar Jensen
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this one :-D
Julie Kirchner
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute book about colors and monsters! I’m excited to share with my pre-K students. I’m sure they will love the bright colors in the illustrations and the silliness that ensues.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A decent book for teaching colors, although I feel like those long strings of verbs are just kind of confusing.
Jenny
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This is a fun little book for kids who like friendly monsters and it teaches about mixing colors too, which I love.
Lila Lovebug
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lila read this to her sister.
Kelly
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Monsters of different colors that are fun and creative...and happy! They are happy being themselves, but they mix with each other to create different colors. Very neat.
LenaRei B Lee
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
The kids really love this story. We reread the book a dozen time. Plan to purchase the book for our miniature library at home.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Lemons Are Not Red
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse
  • Little Green Peas: A Big Book of Colors (with audio recording)
  • I Need My Monster
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Bear Sees Colors