Start by marking “Lola Rose” as Want to Read:
Lola Rose

Lola Rose

Karena ayahnya suka memukul, Jayni dan ibunya kabur ke London bersama adiknya, Kenny. Walaupun mereka takut tertangkap, kepergian itu terasa seperti petualangan yang mengasyikkan---mula-mula. Mereka bahkan mengganti nama, sehingga Jayni menjadi Lola Rose!

Tapi ternyata kehidupan baru Lola Rose tidak sebagus namanya. Ia tidak menyukai pekerjaan baru Mum, atau pacar baru Mum.
Published 2007 by PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published March 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Lola Rose, please sign up.
reader sumaya I find it annoying that you can't read full books on this site but you can rate and review books. The thing about this site is its for sharing what…moreI find it annoying that you can't read full books on this site but you can rate and review books. The thing about this site is its for sharing what you think of books although it does take you to store where you can download samples and see if you want to buy it .(less)

Sanaz
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lola Rose by Jacqueline Wilson

Why I decided to read this book:
I was given this novel as a birthday present many years ago and I couldn’t remember if I had read it or not so I decided to give it a go. I had previously been a huge fan of Jacqueline Wilson novels in my younger years, and I can recall being very fond of her books so I wanted to see how this would compare also.

Which category on the bingo board this book completes:
This book completes the category “A book with a main character”
This cat
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
This book focuses on a particularly difficult topic, even by Wilson standards. Domestic violence affects thousands of families, and it is captured sensitively in this book through the eyes of a young child. When Jayni, her brother and mum are forced to leave their house suddenly due to the fathers violence, they decide to take on false identities and begin a new life.

For Jayni and her little brother, this all begins as an adventure. They travel all the way to London, into a hotel and have new ex
Katie
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Well, I didn't need them. I didn't need anyone. I was Lola Rose. I just wished I looked more like my idea of Lola Rose.”

Jayni, lives with her mum, dad and brother Kenny. Life at home can be good, but sometimes it can be bad. Jayni's dad has a bad temper which results in him lashing out and physically abusing her mum. Following a particular assault after finding out they had won £10,000 on a scratch card, Jayni's mum has had enough so they flee their home and start up a new life in London. The f
Becky
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting. When I read the synopsis I was like "mmm, abusive dad, got it. Wait... cancer too? That seems a little bit much." And that's what it was. Too much. The author's prologue suggests that the book is mostly about the cancer, but that's not the case at all. And while Wilson did the abusive dad stuff well, the cancer stuff was not as good. It seemed like an add on, sort of an excuse to get Auntie Barbara into the picture.
(I just want to break off here and state that I ADORE Aunt
Alex
Perhaps my love for this book is dumb, mainly because it was such a comfort to me when I first read it. I was eleven and had just come out of Saudi Arabia to England; I had few friends in England and thought we'd shortly go back to Saudi (we didn't). Lola Rose was the newest Jacqueline Wilson book and I had to get it, because I loved all things Jacqueline Wilson. Lola Rose became one of my closest friends, silly as that sounds, and I started making a scrapbook after reading it for the second or ...more
Navdip
I use to love reading Jacqueline Wilson books when I was younger, so I've been going through and reading as many of her books I can as an adult.

Plot
Lola Rose follows the life of a young girl and her family. The book begins with Jayni's mother winning money on a scratch card which they are able to use to escape from Jayni's violent father. The family then try to begin a new life in London, complete with new names and identities. Jayni becomes super cool Lola Rose. But Lola Rose is left being the
Nina
It has literally been years since I read this novel! I was up in the attic the other day, and I found it in a bag along with a few other Jacqueline Wilson books. Up until the publishing of either 'Cookie' or 'My Sister Jodie', I'd read every Wilson book there was, and most multiple times. But since I was eleven, I'd stopped reading them, and a few months ago I gave the majority of them away, leaving just a few left; including this one. I got this copy at a theatre performance of Wilson's 'Midnig ...more
Hannah
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to re-read this book recently and fell in love with the story. I always remembered how the plot went, however I still found myself enchanted with what Jacqueline Wilson presented for my mind to consume.

Lola Rose is about a girl named, Jayni who loves with her mum, Nikki, her dad, Jay and her little brother Kenny. However, after winning the lottery and another tough night, Jayni finds herself on the run with her mum and little brother from dad in hope to recreate themselves and start a
Michelle
I absolutely love Wilson's work and was thrilled to be able to meet her a few years ago when she visited Australia (mind you there was still quite a lot of travel involved). I have to say that I think maybe, just maybe, this might be one of my favourite Jacqueline Wilson books. Then again, I really don’t want to say that because I love so many of her books.

The story focuses on Jayni, her mother and her brother as they try to escape her abusive father. The issue is handled with care by Wilson, b
Mimimagic
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good. So entertaining however I was a by disappointed with the ending. Still amazing though. I was really able to get into Lola Rose's shoes.
Nicolle
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A touching story about a girl with an abusive father given the chance to make a new life for herself. One of Jacqueline Wilson's greatest works.
Mariam Abood
This book was sad and bravely touched upon the topics of domestic violence and cancer.
Narimene
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a lovely read and very fast paced. i liked it!
Baeleigh
It was okay. Usually Jacqurline Wilsons books are better though.
Michaela Johnson-
‘Lola Rose’ by Jacqueline Wilson is the story of a young girl who has to run away to London with her mum and her little brother, in hope that her dad will not find them.

Jayni Fenton is a young girl that has confidence issues, she has trouble making friends but this all changes later on in the story when she moves to London and changes her name to ‘Lola Rose Luck’.

In the beginning of the story Nikki (Jayni’s mum) wins £10000 on a scratch card, she decides it would be a nice idea to treat Jayni a
Meg
God it's been years since I've read this one. All the same I still liked it enough to pick it up again while doing a book purge of my singular bookshelf (trust me, I'm hoping to get another one). Anyway, I randomly picked it up and began reading. I forgot how much I loved this book when I first got it.

The basic premise of the story is the story is that Jayni Fenton and her family get lucky and win the grand prize in the local scratchies. The prize is ten-thousand pounds, a massive sum to anyone,
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
It seems most of the Jacqueline Wilson's books are quite dark in the fact that there is abuse or something else going on that the eleven or twelve year old ends up being more of an adult than her parents.

Jayni who calls herself Lola Rose after her mother flees from their father when instead of just hitting her mother he suddenly turns on the daughter.

They head to London and although her mother is very loving and seems to love them very much she is also another selfish parent. She can't keep a pr
Abbeyo
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lola Rose is a beautifully written book. It starts out with Jayni, plain, mousy, babyish and plump. She lives with her mum Nikki, little brother Kenny and abusive father, Jay. When one night Jay hits Jayni, Nikki won't have it. When Nikki wins the lottery of 10,000 pounds, they're off. After living in a hotel for a while, then getting a council flat, Jayni changes her name to Lola Rose, while Kenny morphs into Kendall and Nikki settles for Victoria. They also change their last name to Luck (to s ...more
Brittany Becht
Shannon
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any one who likes Jacquline Wilson
Vanessa Alexandra
Jul 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cried when I read this book:( The story is sad. Lola Rose-the false name-is a young girl that maybe we could call it broken home. Even if her parents didn't split up yet. But her Dad likes to hits her,and her Mum,not her little brother. He always yelled at them and always made bad situation. So,once day,they run away from him. They use false names, they run away to London,hoping he never found them. But then,they had crisis economy,Lola's mum got breast cancer,and she also had new boyfriend. A ...more
Ayesha
Apr 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, it was a really great read. This book shows the life of a young teenager, whose life changes forever.
Lola Rose, whose original name was Jayni,and her mother and brother are running away from her father, who has tried to beat Lola's mother up on more than one occasion.
This started their whole new life.With the help of lots of money they won from the lottery, the family run away and buy a home,start a new school and make new friends. But, what if their dad ever found them...what
Lindsey
I read this book originally at only 10 years old and now at 16 I would wholeheartedly re-read this book. The warnings I have to give to parents is abuse, cancer and one small mention off sex. It is one line and not blatant so it will probably go over a lot off kids heads.
This book is very well written and the subject of the book is handled amazingly by Jacqueline.
I read this at 10 but maybe its better suited at 12 depending on the kids maturity.
Chloe
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read Lola Rose in a while, but I'll give it a go.
**Contains MODERATE spoilers**
I enjoyed the plot of the book; however I think it's similar to Wilson's other book Cookie. There are some differences, of course; like how "Lola Rose"'s family have just won the lottery.
I'm not saying the similarities are a BAD thing; it was an enjoyable book that I enjoyed. I think others would like it as well; it describes everything so vividly.
Suitable for 9 - 14 year olds.
Alsie
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I still adore this book. I read this first as an intermediate schoolgirl, loved it and it was my favourite book, gotta say it still is. It's so real and raw, and I love Lola Rose/Jayni's character. Wilson writes Lola's worries about her mother's cancer so vividly, and it's wonderful. And Kenny is just such a cute little child, I wish I could hug him. :)

Resident Optimist
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre teens
Shelves: favorites
I read this twice, once about 5 years ago and once again 2 years ago, both times I loved this book. It was interesting to see "Lola's" life change so dramatically and to follow her on her journey as it did so. This is one of my favourites of Wilson's stories, and recommend it for all pre-teens
Johara Almogbel
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-the-library
I hate Jayni's mother. I don't get how a person can be this selfish in the face of people who love them. I'm probably not considering their point of view in it or their circumstances, but I really don't give a shit as they never consider anyone else but themselves, do they? So it's apt.
Yvette
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mizannie
For me this is the last of the 14 (!) Jacqueline Wilson titles required for the BBC Top 200 list. This is one of the longer titles and dealt with some pretty heavy topics such as domestic violence, bullying, and life-threatening illness. Wilson does not create pretty little stories for her readers and her characters are at times annoying and make very poor choices. The mom in this story had her first child at 17 and it is clear she was not ready for the responsibilities of parenthood. The effect ...more
Ella
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a boook that I will definitley keep in the bookshelf. Why?
Because it was such a nice read, that had me forgetting the time and reading as quickly as possible to get to the next part.
I have recommended this book to many of my friends and even some of my relatives. Jacqueline Wilson is an amazing author, sometimes she has her ok books, but this was defintiley not one of them.
If I was to go back 2 years ago when I read it I would be writing a much more excited and intense review, bec
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
I love this book 1 2 Feb 17, 2019 02:20AM

• Fighting Fit (Angels Unlimited, #6)
  • Dizzy
  • Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3)
  • Sweet-talking TJ
  • Sunset Song (A Scots Quair, #1)
  • Sophie Is Seven (Sophie, #5)
  • Shrinking Violet (Diary, #5)
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
“Well, I didn't need them.
I didn't need anyone. I was Lola Rose.
I just wished I looked more like my idea of Lola Rose.”
55 likes