Start by marking “The Hot Jazz Trio” as Want to Read:
The Hot Jazz Trio

The Hot Jazz Trio

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Published 1989 by Houghton Mifflin

To ask other readers questions about The Hot Jazz Trio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hot Jazz Trio

Planchette
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I actually only read the story entitled "Django Reinhardt Plays The Blues", which is strange because I loved it. I loved it so much I didn't read the other stories - I know, I totally can't explain that one. But I read this and it made me want to write - so I probably ran off and did that.

Synopsis: Django Reinhardt, and if I remember correctly, Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau search for a magician's assistant who vanishes (view spoiler) during a trick.

When
tortoise dreams
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This trio is a novella and two short stories mixing surrealism, humor, and one of the more bizarre imaginations on the planet.

William Kotzwinkle is an able and daring writer. Ever-confident in his abilities, he will take on any plot or style, as he does in the three humorous pieces in The Hot Jazz Trio. First, is a surreal novella, featuring Jean Cocteau and Django Reinhardt, as they pursue a missing magician's assistant, with cameos by Picasso and Erik Satie. The surrealism is reminiscent of Al
John
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
three fantastical stories where characters move fluidly, if not always willingly, between dimensions. in the first story, django reinhardt and jean cocteau help a magician recover his assistant from the land of boxes. in the second story, a pharaoh finds his bearings in the afterlife. in the last story, two clowns try to escape death, who wears a suit of fish scales. great characters. memorable. dreamy. funny. "a ride as smooth as a porcupine in your butt." (favorite line in the book.) out of pr ...more
Volker Rivinius
Jun 06, 2013
Joe
Jul 07, 2010
Ron Antonucci
rated it did not like it
Oct 27, 2016
Alan
Jul 30, 2012
Sue
May 10, 2009
William Kotzwinkle is a two-time recipient of the National Magazine Award for Fiction, a winner of the World Fantasy Award, the Prix Litteraire des Bouquinistes des Quais de Paris, the PETA Award for Children's Books, and a Book Critics Circle award nominee. His work has been translated into dozens of languages.
More about William Kotzwinkle