Start by marking “Holmes for the Holidays” as Want to Read:
Holmes for the Holidays

Holmes for the Holidays

(Holmes for the Holidays #1)

With stories by Anne Perry, Carolyn Wheat, Carole Nelson Douglas, Reginald Hill and many more, this delightful mystery collection captures the spirit of the brilliant detective of Baker Street. It's perfect for anyone who loves Sherlock Holmes -- or any mystery fan who's looking for the very best in short fiction.

Contents include:
The Watch Night Bell by Anne Perry
The Sleut
Published November 1st 1996 by Berkley Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Holmes for the Holidays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holmes for the Holidays

Start your review of Holmes for the Holidays
Caidyn (he/him/his)
"Evil takes no holidays, Watson.

This is a nice little collection of stories that are focused around the holiday season. Basically, I saw this sitting on the shelf at my local library and thought to myself, "Why not?" Now that it's November, it's basically Christmas. I mean, I'm currently on the count-down to last day of classes for this term; I have less than ten. So, it's upon us.

Overall, I liked the collection. There were a few that stood out to me as very good, and only one that I thought was
Trin
Allow me to use an analogy here. Imagine that in 20 years or so people start publishing collections of Buffy the Vampire Slayer pastiches. (In this version of the future Joss Whedon is either incredibly generous or has very bad lawyers.) In each story, Buffy does some research with the Scoobies (all of whom are currently getting along great!), patrols a cemetery, and stakes a vampire...and that’s it. No character development, not even any character insight! In every. Single. Story.

That’s this c
Paul M.
Nov 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm not quite through with this book but I thought I'd take a moment to chronicle my thoughts. For the most part, I enjoyed these Holmes and Watson short stories. Most felt as if they might have been Christmastime cases the two might have embarked upon. However, despite the fact that these stories obviously are not of the canon, and while it is likely impossible to have non-canon stories never contradict each other, it does seem to me that contradictory stories should at the very least not be pr ...more
Andrew
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A half decent collection of short tales...in honesty I wasn't sure whether to read this just yet as it is a festive collection but in truth it's mainly Sherlock tales that just have the season tagged onto them.
Some of the stories were in truth a tad nondescript but there where enough here to maintain interest..chronologically I think you have to take this collection as it is..for instance two tales nod to ' a Christmas Carol' and yet depict two different futures for Tim Crachet and Irene Adler a
LuAnn
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
It's not that the stories themselves are great that I give this 4 stars, but that they are good stories featuring Holmes and Watson set during the Christmas season with interesting seasonal tie-ins, such as a Christmas tree, Twelfth Night cake, and Dicken's A Christmas Carol. The weakest of the bunch are The Adventure of the Man Who Never Laughed, The Italian Sherlock and The Adventure of the Canine Ventriloquist which is also the weirdest. A book I pull out every year around Christmas for some ...more
Tom
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just as advertised: a collection of fun Holmes pastiche short stories in a holiday motif. Not really anything to write home about in any of the stories, but nothing lamentable either. Altogether, a relaxed and enjoyable holiday helping of Holmes. Just the thing for that rare quiet evening seated by the fire, Christmas tree aglow, and a glass of eggnog close to hand. Gratefully enjoyed and heartily recommended.
Eric Winter
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: holmes
A fun collection of Holmes stories, with interesting takes on the characters by different authors. A few cameos by actual historical figures led me to learn a few things. The stories bounced around in time - it would be interesting to go back and place them in the canonical chronology to see how many references I missed.
Calvin Daniels
Solid 3.5 actually. Like many short stories collections by various authors a bit up and down, but a solid seasonal read.
Rachel Best
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exactly as advertised.
NightOwl
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it
A fairly decent anthology. That cover tho...
Serena

the Adventure of the Christmas Tree by William L. DeAndrea ****
the Adventure of t
Holly
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short story compilation of more recent Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson mysteries, written by several mystery writers. I've read parts of this book before, but this December I read the whole compilation. A very enjoyable read. My favorite was the story by John Stoessel, "The Yuletide Affair," in which Dr. Watson told Holmes of an adventure he had on his own once when Holmes was busy elsewhere, in which Watson was called in to St. Bartholomew's Hospital to help save the life of Inspector Lestrade, ...more
Read1000books
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This uneven mix of Sherlock Holmes short story mysteries, all set during the Christmas season, gets a 2 1/2 stars. Of course the usual suspects appear (Irene Adler, Professor Moriarty) along with tales which fall flat at the end ("The Adventure of the Angel's Trumpet", for instance) and at least one with somewhat disturbing (at least to me) content. There were several standouts among the group however, one of them being "The Yuletide Affair", a solo Watson adventure in which the good doctor save ...more
Margaret
Dec 26, 2011 added it
Shelves: 2011
Very enjoyable - my favorite story in this group was The Adventure of the Christmas Tree by William L. DeAndrea because I felt the characters of Holmes & Dr. Watson were most true to form and the actual mystery was believable. I also liked The Thief of Twelfth Night by Carole Nelson Douglas because of the Irene Adler connection and The Christmas Client by Edward D. Hoch because of the Moriarity connection. I thought they all had their good points and it was interesting to see how each author put ...more
Robert Schneider
This was an okay collection with some really bad editing. Some of the authors were better at capturing the feel of Holmes and Watson than others. Even so this collection began to feel a bit same-y after a bit, having 2 stories about Dickens' A Christmas Carol didn't help either. I found a couple of the stories to stand out because they were handled a bit differently than the rest, Watsons' solo tale "The Yuletide Affair by John Stoessel and "The Thief of Twelfth Night" by Carole Nelson Douglas.
Keith
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
I've read this collection several times, as part of my traditional holiday reading binge. I've always been a sucker for Christmas stories, and I picked this up on a bargain table many years ago. I love the tone of the stories and the way they capture the essence of Victorian England at Christmas. Of course none of them measure up to Conan Doyle's The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, but some come quite close. An excellent choice for a snowy December evening or two.
Beth
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I think more Sherlock is always wonderful, so I was delighted to find this book. And the stories are written by outstanding mystery writers, a plus.

The stories vary in quality, of course. None are terrible, but some are very much better than others. A few sound so authentic that I could believe they came from Watson's famous dispatch box.

My one complaint is that there are several working off Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I got tired of that. Oh well.

A lot of fun.
Rena Sherwood
Someday someone will put together the ultimate non-canonical Holmes short story anthology. This isn't it, but it will do for now. The big problem (besides all the stories having a Christmas theme) -- not one but TWO short stories involving Dickens' A Christmas Carol. A little short on imagination here, folks?

description
Susan
More than a dozen authors write pastiches of the Sherlock Holmes stories, with the proviso that all are set during the Christmas holidays. Two, at least, involve the works of Charles Dickens; one presents the unexpected figure of Lewis Carroll. Tastes vary, of course, but if you like Holmes, you'll enjoy at least some of these delightful tales.
Sandra Strange
What Sherlock fan could resist a book with such a delightful title? I've appropriately been reading this collection of short stories during the Christmas season. The stories are inconsistent (all have different authors). I was a bit disappointed with the first two, which were not as captivating as later stories. All are true to the original characters and milieu. In general, a fun read
astrangerhere
A delightful bit of Christmas reading! As is usually the case, the story featuring a cameo by the stunning Irene Adler was my favorite of the lot. Can't wait to start the next volume of the anthology.

"Do you follow my conclusions?" "Only with peril, Watson."
Kel
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
An anthology of Sherlock stories set around Christmas. They were all good and seemed in keeping with the genre--some more than others. I especially enjoyed the ones that were based off of a "Christmas Carol."
Sharon
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I so enjoyed these stories. Only a few could have been better written, but still they were all very entertaining. It was a wonderful fantasy trip for me as an longtime fan of Sherlock Holmes. I highly recommend it.
Jessi
Great adaptations by modern authors each telling a story of Sherlock Holmes at Christmas.
Heather R
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holmesiana
I can never get enough Sherlock Holmes, and it makes me so happy that there are so many pastiche books out there. This one gets me in the Christmas spirit.
Collection of short stories written by noted mystery writers with Sherlock Holmes as the main character. Fun read for the holidays.
Douglas Dougan
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good niche themed stories - some writers better than others at capturing the original genius of Conan Doyle
Kathy
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fun quick stories...all with that unexpected twist that makes them uniquely Sherlock Holmes stories.
Becca
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: holmes
Some stellar short stories but also some clunkers.
Ginny
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed all the stories. A good holiday read.

• The Secret Files of Sherlock Holmes
  • Broken Prey (Lucas Davenport, #16)
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Bad Blood (Virgil Flowers, #4)
  • Broken Ground (Inspector Karen Pirie, #5)
  • A Forgotten Murder
  • Cross and Burn (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #8)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders (Sherlock Holmes in Minnesota #2)
  • Amos Fortune, Free Man
  • The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes
  • It's Not About Me: Live Like You Mean It (Teen Edition)
  • A Willing Murder (Medlar Mystery #1)
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • Death at the Door (Death on Demand, #24)
  • Dwelling Places
  • Mycroft Holmes
  • The Man Who Created Sherlock Holmes: The Life and Times of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.

For the 1950s anthologist and publisher of Gnome Press, see Martin Greenberg.

Holmes for the Holidays (2 books)
  • More Holmes for the Holidays

News & Interviews

“It's a fallacy to believe that age in itself brings wisdom, but one thing it infallibly brings is experience.” 3 likes