Start by marking “The Violet Fox (The Violet Fox, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Violet Fox (The Violet Fox, #1)

The Violet Fox

(Violet Fox #1)

Run.
That’s what instinct told me.
But in order to save the secrets of my people
and to protect my brother
I have to become the enemy.

There are two kinds of people in the land of Marlenia.

The Marlenians, who live on the surface,

and the Freetors, who are forced to live underground.

The war between them ended two hundred years ago, but the Freetors still fight for the right to li
Published October 13th 2012 by Faery Ink Press (first published October 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Violet Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Violet Fox

Start your review of The Violet Fox (The Violet Fox, #1)
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-request
I was asked by the author to review this book; this does not bias my review.

The Violet Fox is a fun filled adventure about Kiera, a young spunky girl, who is the masked "Violet Fox" who basically steals from the rich Marlenians in order to feed her people, the poor Freetors. The Elders tell her it is time to infiltrate the castle and get information about hidden magic that may destroy them, so Kiera is sent to the castle in disguise as a beautiful princess from the North. She catches the Prince'
Trickey
Jun 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Despite how I enjoy insulting bad books in private conversations, it's not that fun to write bad reviews. Making fun of a book in chat is one thing, but to have to write a one star review is another. For a book to be one star for me, it has to not just be generically bad. It has to be offensive, annoying, and, most of all, have gotten my hopes up. I didn't come into this expecting a masterpiece. I wanted some lighthearted, dumb fun, and it didn't even deliver on that.
My first problem: a history
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Giveaway on my blog! http://somelikeitparanormall.blogspot...

Fantasy is a real hit or miss with me and I'm so happy this was such a hit! Kiera is a Freetor, living under the surface, having to steal from the Marlenians above in order to eat and survive. Two hundred years ago there was a war which drove her people underground. The elders have the power of magic and must keep it protected since it is the one thing the Marlenians fear. When a tome holding the secret of Freetor magic goes misssing,
Meganm922
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. To me, it was sort of Robin Hood mixed with Mockingjay mixed with a fairy tale with a little bit of The Time Machine sprinkled in all rolled up into one story. I had no idea what to expect and while there were tons of elements from other popular stories, I thought it was a unique and well executed idea with a strong female heroine. The cover is also stunning and caught my eye when I was asked to participate in the blog tour.

The world building in this novel was superb. I felt
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books
Be sure to check out the ongoing book tour, I have a review, first 3 chapters, and a giveaway at my stop, there is a fun scavenger hunt as well.

This book really impressed me, it really left an impression on me as well, it was so well written, it pulled me in right from the first few pages. It had me thinking about it for a week. In fact, before I decided to do the book tour, I read the first 3 chapters that is up free by the author, for anyone to get a taste, and I was hooked, I signed up ri
Amanda
The Violet Fox by Clare M. Marshall is set in the fictional land of Marlenia. Kiera Driscoll is a fifteen year old Freetor. She and her people live underground in a series of tunnels and caverns, forced to do so after the war between them and the ruling Marlenians. The war ended two hundred years ago but the hated between the two races is still strong today. Living with Kiera’s group are The Elders, they are able to wield magic and this both frightens and entices the Marlenians who have never be ...more
Leela Martin
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, it reads really easily and it is action packed and full of surprises! I'm looking forward to reading the next books in the series.
Kayla West
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been having withdrawal symptoms from fantasy novels lately. I absolutely love the worlds that authors can create in this genre and am slightly obsessed with the fighting and warrior-ness and magic that goes on in a fantasy novel. So it was with great surprise that I started reading this book and found that it was indeed a fantasy novel. I really have no idea what I originally thought this was going to be about, but I was completely stoked that this would sate my imagination.

Because I am p
Guenevere Lee
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone who's always loved the idea of a masked bandit and highway robberies, think Scarlet Pimpernel or Zorro, this book really appealed to me. This novel, the first in a series, is told from the point of view of Kiera. A member of an oppressed people (the Freetors), she is a freedom fighter who dons the mask and name of the Violet Fox to steal food and supplies from the rich Marlenians.

Kiera is chosen for a special mission to retrieve a missing tome of magic. She disguises herself as a kidn
Tracey (Life and Literature)
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Some months back I was involved in the cover reveal for The Violet Fox and while the cover is eye catching the original synopsis didn't really give too much away.

Run.
That’s what instinct told me.
But in order to save the secrets of my people
and to protect my brother
I have to become the enemy.

That always tends to leave me intrigued, so I added it to my huge TBR pile and thought that it would be something that I would eventually get around to reading. Well, then I was contacted by the author who a
Courtney Reads A Lot
The Violet Fox was a delightful read. When I first read the premise, I knew this was my type of read. It has action, adventure, romance, and a strong heroine. Kiera is far from a weakling. She takes many risks, stealing as the Violet Fox, so that her people won't starve. Times are rough in the Undercity where the Freetors live. Food is scarce, and Fighters have to go on missions to the surface to steal food. The little food they steal is then rationed. If a Freetor is caught above, they are ensl ...more
Hayley G
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Violet Fox! Clare really blends the popular genres, Dystopian and Romance, well together.

At times it felt like I was reading Grave Mercy by LaFevers, the world Clare has created for Kiera is very similar to the one Ismae inhabits. However, I enjoyed The Violet Fox so much more the characters were all relatable and their actions, understandable. I find that Clare keeps a certain realistic tone in her unrealistic/fantastical writing. She's created a society of US versus THEM, or Freet
Bekah (WillBakeforBooks)
Keira Driscoll is what they call a Freetor, a people banished by the Marlenians to live underground. At the young age of 6, Keira joins a band of Freetor fighters who steal from the rich and give to the poor. She soon becomes widely and infamously known as the Violet Fox. She believes in freeing her people from the Marlenians who have enslaved them and will do anything to help them. When the leaders of the Freetor’s, called the Elders, ask Keira to infiltrate the Marlenian castle on a secret mis ...more
Jenny
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on my blog, A Bookish Co-Op

I must admit I had no idea what to expect when I started reading this book. I don't usually get into to fantasy because the story lines get confusing and proper nouns and key words are usually way too complicated to pronounce let alone keep straight without a master key while reading. But I was intrigued by the summary none-the-less.

Over all, I very much enjoyed this book. To me it felt like a nice mix between Robin Hood and Cinderella, more s
Lee (Rally the Readers)
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Also posted on Rally the Readers.

* A copy was provided by the author for review.

When I first read the synopsis for The Violet Fox, I immediately thought of Robin Hood. I absolutely love Robin Hood, so I was beyond excited to read this. I was not disappointed! The Violet Fox is a thrilling fantasy packed with adventure, magic, social injustice, and political intrigue, all set against a richly detailed world. In short, it’s exactly my type of fantasy novel.

Hands down, my favorite part of the book
Aliraluna
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My review:

Fifteen-year-old Kiera Driscoll along with other Freetors; her people that lives in the underground; such as her brother Rordan and her friend Laoise, joins The Fighters to help the Freetors to get food and other goods as they were poor, with hunger and cast away by the Marlenian; those who live in the surface; the result of a war that "ended" two hundred years ago, but the hate and issues were far from done.

Kiera steals by bein The Violet Fox; a young woman that uses a violet cape
Clare Davidson
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Violet Fox is about a young girl called Kiera Driscoll, whose people, the Freetors, were forced underground three hundred years ago and have been persecuted ever since. Forced to steal from the Marlenian surface dwellers to survive, the Freetors aren't exactly in anyone's good books, least of all Keegan's, the Marlenian prince. After a magical tome is stolen, Kiera is sent on a dangerous mission to impersonate a Marlenian princess and gain access to the royal castle, in order to retrieve the ...more
Cecilia (rather barefoot than bookless)
When I first started to read this book, I have to be honest with you, I wasn't all that excited. The cover is not a favorite. However this is a perfect example of how stupid it can be to judge a book by it's cover. And if I am to be honest, I do. Very often I do. This book was amazing, great read and I am happy I said yes to this review because I was hooked after the first chapter.
It was well written and fun. Marshall was great at describing her world and it was easy to visualise it with the lar
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story had a few classic (almost cliched) YA situations, but it was fun and easy to read. The characters are quite likable, and the relationship between Kiera and Rordan felt real.

The book started off right in the action, and it took a little bit to figure out the world set-up, but it's pretty straightforward and easy to get. At least there's no dreaded info-dumping, everything just seems to flow into the story.

I've had a bad streak of reading books I didn't click with lately, so finding tha
Charlene
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, review-request
The author sets up the fantasy world of Marlenia and the history behind the Marlenians and the Freetors so well! There is a lot of backstory in the beginning to set up this world and the conflict that makes Kiera's subterfuge necessary - first as the Violet Fox and then as Lady Dominique so that she can find something that has been stolen by the Marlenians and hidden in the castle. The pace is a little slow in the beginning but it moves much faster as the story develops. There is much that Kiera ...more
Aumi The
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maritimes
Alaura
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book way too many times!
This book really is my favourite book, it is full of adventure and you can really connect with the main character.
I also had the pleasure of meeting the amazing author.
Wonderful work!
Cecilia Robert
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book! Will review this in a bit
Samantha
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a well written original tale with a little mix of Robin Hood and Cinderella. I am very intrigued and looking forward to the next one. It is so refreshing to get a good book for under $5!
Kaitlyn
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great adventure/romance by a great writer. Like a mixture of Twilight and The Mask Of Zorro, but better! I highly recommend this great book
Lesley
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and interesting right to the end! Clare creates an amazingly interesting world and a fantastically strong female character that you will fall in love with.
Iris
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this book. I was hooked from early on, and continued to enjoy it the whole way through. I just felt like it was missing something... I liked the characters, but I wasn't emotionally invested in them enough.

WHAT I LIKED

I actually did really like the characters.
● Keira was a likeable heroine. She was flawed and felt pretty real... I enjoyed reading about her.
● The prince was sort of sweet. I don't remember him too well, but I know I quite liked him.
● I also loved Keira's brothe
Melissa
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, I was at SaskExpo this last weekend and I stumbled on the author's table more or less by accident. As a writer myself I'm always drawn to tables full of books. I had a pleasant chat with Ms. Marshall and wound up picking up the three books in the series that she had for sale as it was a good deal.

What I didn't realize until I cracked the first one open a few days after I got home was that the series is written in first person. Usually this is an automatic nope for me. I abhor first person pe
Andria On The Run
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the land of Marlenia, the people were divided two hundred years ago by a civil war. Now, the privileged live on the surface while the impoverished are forced to live in tunnels underground. But the underground Freetors possess a magic that the surfaced dwellers envy and fear. Keira, becomes a symbol to the other Freetors of hope and justice and is chosen by the Elders to infiltrate the royal palace on the surface. Her mission takes a turn as she becomes enchanted with the prince.

This story f
Maya
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
This was one of those books I bought not expecting much. Sometimes, those are the best ones.

The Violet Fox has exactly what I want in a fantasy book: strong protagonist, rich worldbuilding and detail, beautiful writing, thought out and engaging plot, and well-written characters that are hard not to like or sympathize with. All in all, an excellent read that I highly recommend!

(I happened to get this book and its sequel signed by the author, so that makes it even better!)
Free Books, .99, ...: The Violet Fox Cover Reveal Giveaway 1 25 Jul 19, 2012 08:22PM

• The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray #1)
  • Glamour of Midnight
  • The Shadow Wand (The Black Witch Chronicles, #3)
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • Cinderella Is Dead
  • Last Memoria (Memoria Duology, #1)
  • Burning Roses
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Witchy
  • The Crow Rider (The Storm Crow, #2)
  • Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Antigoddess (Goddess War, #1)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Descendant of the Crane
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
Clare C. Marshall grew up in rural Nova Scotia with very little television and dial-up internet, and yet she turned out okay. Her YA sci-fi novel Dreams In Her Head was nominated for Canada's 2014 Creation of Stories award. She is a full-time freelance editor, book designer, ghostwriter, and web manager. If there’s time left in the day, she devotes it to Faery Ink Press, her publishing imprint. Wh ...more

Violet Fox (4 books)
  • The Silver Spear (The Violet Fox #2)
  • The Emerald Cloth (The Violet Fox Series #3)
  • The Midnight Tablet (The Violet Fox Series #4)