Start by marking “Blue Skies (Atopia Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Skies (Atopia Chronicles, #1)

Blue Skies (Atopia Chronicles #1)

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  323 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Olympia is a high-powered New York advertising executive with perhaps the chance of a lifetime when she lands the biggest account of her life - the new Cognix synthetic reality promotion. The stress, however, is killing her, and she desperately needs relief from the distraction of everything and everyone around her...

All of the Atopia stories begin at the same moment in ti
Published March 9th 2012 by PhutureNews Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blue Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Skies

This is an interesting series, because essentially it is a series of short stories that will make up one big story arc.

This first one was pretty creepy, the main character is stressed out beyond belief (something I get big time) and has an implant placed in her to remove stress... so what happens when it starts to remove everything that stresses you out or annoys you???? Well you will have to read to find out.

Going to start the next one now... I love being able to listen to books while I work.
Jonny Illuminati
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
What the heck is up with my constantly picking out short, novella length, books all of a sudden?

Any ways... So this book pretty much sets up the premise for the rest of the books in the series, which takes place in a plausable, yet not too distant future, where the planet is over crowded (especially in cities like New York) and nanotechnology is breaking grounds in reality filtering ways.

The main character is a bitch. She is supposed to be a bitch. She is a bitch who, through work stress and her
Olethros
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
-Conceptualmente interesante y muy desarrollable.-

Género. Relato.

Lo que nos cuenta. En un futuro lleno de aplicaciones prácticas de tecnología avanzada, Olympia Onassis es una persona poco agradable (por decir algo) y que trabaja como profesional del Marketing Publicitario (que en ese futuro es algo bastante invasivo en ocasiones) buscando una nueva cuenta y que sufre un colapso durante la correspondiente reunión. Su médico le sugiere usar un fármaco en pruebas con pacientes (¿clientes?) selecci
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this was an interesting premise. It's the first in a series and it's a short little read.

Set in the future, a woman who works in advertising and is suffering from anxiety, she takes a new drug, that interfaces directly with the brain. Don't like seeing bums on the street, just let your little brain-computer program know, and it'll filter them out of your life, anything you don't like? Consider it gone.

She tells it to remove everything that annoys her, and her world changes. It changes
Andrea
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
What's not to like about Olympia? Okay, maybe that's a rhetorical question. She's definitely not perfect, and maybe she's an acquired taste. She's an ad exec trying to make her way in a cutthroat business, and she's having a bad day. Who could blame her for the path she chooses, who wouldn't make that choice too, given the option? Who hasn't wondered what it would be like to erase everything annoying about their life? Olympia reminds me a bit of myself at times. Not sure if that's a good thing o ...more
Jim
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Intriguing first entry in this series. A little "Twilight Zone-y"
Carol
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-sci-fiction
Blue Skies is Book #1 in the Atopia Chronicles.
This story is about a high-powered advertising
executive in New York. All Olympia wanted was
to not deal with anything annoying. Requesting
this from her pssi ( Polysynthetec Sensory
Interface ), she finds her alone.
This is a very interesting sci-fi adventure. Ready
for story # 2.
Craig Harris
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A note/preface on this review. I had read Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather a while back and enjoyed it. To my surprise (and delight) I was asked whether I would read and review his upcoming novel "Dystopia" when it came out. Sure! Well, I received notification that it was on its way, and number 2 in a series. "Is this something where one has to read number 1 in order to be able to fully enjoy/get number 2?" "Yup -- it's a series and you need to have read the first book." Annoying. Not all series req ...more
Jlongstaff
Sep 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Overview:
The following book review will contain three themes; ecology, theology, and social commentary. The setting of the series Blue Skies is of a synthetic utopia. The futuristic scene is set in New York City. The description is of an over crowded, dirty, and polluted city. Advertisements and holograms along with masses of people and robots crowd the streets. In actuality the setting is dystopian. The main character Olympia is an overworked advertising executive. She experiences large amounts
Jan Longstaff
Overview:
Verditwist
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, dystopian
The Atopia Chronicles
Where to start? First, this is Science Fiction not Fantasy. The only vampires you are going to find are gamers, and the only trolls are the on-line variety. So get ready to concentrate.
On the surface skin of this first story in the series (The Atopia Chronicles) we have an artificial island, and impending man-made disaster (possibly to do with the weather wars), and a bunch of relatives and friends we tag as they give their views of developing events. A circle of events seen
Dave Higgins
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Although it is one of six interlocking narratives comprising the Atopia Chronicles, this novella is also a fully rounded story capable of standing on its own.

Olympia Onassis is an advertising executive in a world struggling between riding the wave of new technology and sinking beneath it. Diagnosed with media-overload-induced stress on the eve of her greatest triumph, she agrees to trial a new technology that will edit out the very advertising that provides her livelihood.

The story is written in
Susan
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I actually read the combined Atopia series. Blue Skies is the first vignette. I'm torn about the rating because I think that some people will really love this and others will hate it. If you are interested in contemplating how "cyberspace" and distributed consciousness might affect humans, you may really enjoy this. I found it to be thought provoking. The ideas Mather has about things that could happen (what if we mutually inhabit other people's bodies? what if we could have virtual children who ...more
Nina
Blue Skies is the first installment in the Atopia Chronicles. Given that the entire set of six books is over 500 pages long, I was really surprised this one was so short.

The beginning of Blue Skies is a little like falling into water unexpectedly. It is an extremely technological world, and you are introduced to it by a narrator that is extremely impatient and irritable. Needless to say, she doesn't take much time to explain things. The first three quarters of this book I spent really disliking
Lau
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reseña de la edición completa

Olympia es un personaje fascinante. Es básicamente una persona horrible, con una personalidad odiosa, un carácter espantoso y un nerviosismo crónico que la vuelve intolerante hacia todo y todos. Está resentida con la vida y con su familia, es impaciente, maleducada, desapegada, fría, intolerante e insensible. Y aún así, por alguna razón que desconozco, cae bien.
Para curarla de su estrés un médico le sugiere un tratamiento alternativo que no queda completamente clar
Dennis Madison
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The one thing that struck me while reading Blue Skies was how it reminded me of a Philip K. Dick story so if you like him, I think you'll also enjoy this.
I've read some other reviews stating that this story is short. It is, but it's more like an opening chapter to the much longer Atopia Chronicles. Blue Skies is a great, quick introduction to what is central to the Atopia Chronicles - Polysynthetic Sensory Interface or pssi.
Definitely an enjoyable read!
Wade McGinnis
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I saw that author Hugh Howey had recommended this to one of his fans, and I've enjoyed most of Hugh's recommendations in the past. I was interested enough to see where this goes, but couldn't give this story a 4-star review because I really need to get invested in the main character of any story, and Olympia wasn't very likeable to me. Like I said, you'll probably enjoy this first story in the series, and be left wondering what comes next.
Jennifer Erwin
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm so glad this was a short read. It was way too Twilight Zone(ish) for me. While that might appeal to others, I can't handle that type of book, and that is the only reason for the low star rating. The writing style was fine, but the descriptions were just to realistic for me. So if you are into that type of reading, I highly recommend this story, and the rest of the series. I'm too chicken, so I will not be reading on.
Philip McClimon
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was excellent. The writing was tight. It has the air and feel of a twilight episode and a whiplash ending. I give it four stars instead of five only because the "rules of the world" that so "trap" Olympia seem squishy to me. I read it twice and am willing to admit that maybe I am missing something. It involves the technology that Olympia uses so wrecklessly. It is worth a read in any event, but read it with a critical eye and see for yourself. All in all, a good time.
Shawn Holman
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
It started off a bit slow and I was wondering if I was going to enjoy it or not but then it really picked up nicely and I really enjoyed it by the end and I'll be going on with the series, which I think says a lot about the book. I'm very intrigued with what happens next.
Nic Cain
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
There were parts of this book that were wonderful, but sadly they got lost in a bit of a confusion around reality and made up things. There were several parts that just did not make sense. I wonder if it is a case that the author was so much smarter than the reader in that sense.
Halden
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story is definitely not heart warming but it is very poignant. It really illustrates the way society is starting to compartmentalize themselves to the point where we will never hear a different point of view and live in our own little echo chambers.
Mickey Hoffman
Aug 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
I gave up on the book 1/3 of the way through it. Why? I couldn't really make sense of the technology. There never was an explanation without many unexplained terms that were used to explain...
The characters weren't likeable either.
Talia
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting, quick read about a scientifically-advanced future world. The main character seems like a jerk, but thankfully we don't have to spend a long time with her since this is short. I'm definitely interested in reading more books and novellas that take place in this world.
Christina  Torretta
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow! Really interesting sci fi. Love where this has started and I'm curious where it's going to go.

Short moral for this short story: Be careful what you wish for!

Love listening to this. Started the second in the series already.
Nanda Zacharias
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I must know what happens next!
I love the futuristic theme.
Josh
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
That was depressing as hell...

I enjoyed the story and the morals to it but the setting wasn't my favorite. Very cool short read though.
Jeff Smith
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice. I really like how the different books are linked and flow together. The way this one ended was great.
James
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not the best prose, but a great story.
Amber
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia, sci-fi
Started out feeling a bit iffy, but got progressively more interesting.
  • Y: The Last Man #1
  • The Walking Dead, Issue #49
  • Nessa (Breeders, #1.1)
  • Hell
  • The Shelter (A Short Story)
  • Fireflies
  • Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania, #1)
  • Punktown
  • The Discovery of Socket Greeny (Socket Greeny, #1)
  • The Bagman (The Abigail Cobble Trilogy, #1)
  • The Plagiarist
  • Mind Café
  • The Venom of Vipers
  • Revelation (Children of the After, #2)
  • The Beginning of the End (The Hollows: Graphic Novel, #1)
  • The Last of Us: American Dreams #4
  • Watchbird
Matthew is the million-copy bestselling author of CyberStorm and Darknet, and the hit series Nomad and Atopia Chronicles. He started out his career working at the McGill Center for Intelligent Machines, going on to become one of the world's leading members of the cybersecurity community. In between he's worked in a variety of start-ups,everything from computational nanotechnology to electronic hea ...more
More about Matthew Mather...

Atopia Chronicles (6 books)
  • Childplay (Atopia Chronicles, #2)
  • Timedrops (Atopia Chronicles, #3)
  • Brothers Blind (Atopia Chronicles, #4)
  • Neverywhere (Atopia Chronicles, #5)
  • Genesis and Janus (Atopia Chronicles, #6)