Start by marking “Another Forgotten Child ” as Want to Read:
Another Forgotten Child

Another Forgotten Child

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  2,729 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
A new memoir from Sunday Times and New York Times bestselling author Cathy Glass.

Eight-year-old Aimee was on the child protection register at birth. Her five older siblings were taken into care many years ago. So no one can understand why she was left at home to suffer for so long. It seems Aimee was forgotten.

The social services are looking for a very experienced foster c
Published September 2012 by Harper Element

To ask other readers questions about Another Forgotten Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Forgotten Child

Sharon
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-read
Another Forgotten Child is a heartbreaking, but also a heartwarming story about eight year old Aimee. Aimee has endured eight long and suffering years with her drug dependent mother in a flat. Not only did Aimee live with filth all around her, but she'd also been experiencing mental and physical abuse.

When Aimee was handed to foster carer Cathy, Aimee is angry and what's more so is Cathy. Cathy can't understand why Aimee was left to survive in such terrible conditions when her five siblings wer
Paul
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This heartwarming true story tells of another feral child in Cathy Glass's foster care in the UK. The child is an eight-year-old girl whose mother is a heroin addict and was herself sexually and physically abused as a child. The girl Ms. Glass takes on as a foster child eats nothing but cookies for every meal, has pinch marks all over her body from one of her mother's boyfriends (of which there is an endless succession), wears filthy clothes, has a head full of lice, and has never slept on anyth ...more
Kim Justice
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
My Review:
Have you ever felt left out, forgotten, alone? I am from a middle size family. A broken home, three siblings growing up but I always knew I was loved. Reading this book made me love my memories of growing up. Made me Thank the Good Lord Above on how I was raised.

Author Cathy Glass has written a story here that has made me want to round up all the children in the whole world and give them the kind of home I was raised in. To make sure that every child in the world knew that they are tr
Rachel Nelson
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
This genre of book is right up my alley with the intense and disturbing nature of the story. If I had to choose my favorite book it would be "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls, another extremely sad and heart-wrenching story about children who were somehow missed by the system designed to protect them. So when we were approached to read the book I was very excited just because I love reading these types of stories!

Let's begin with the good stuff! Aimee, the foster child, comes into Cathy Gla
Books
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2015
I keep returning to the familiarity and comfort of Cathy Glass sharing her experiences as a foster carer. As a responsible and loving parent to my own two sons, it’s always difficult to read accounts of children who have suffered abuse, but at the same time it’s also heartwarming to see the generosity and complete devotion with which Cathy, and many others like her, open their homes and hearts to these lost children.

I always know beforehand that my heart is going to be broken into a million piec
Penelope Irving
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cathy Glass is the queen of the 'watch disadvantaged or abused children get the help they finally need' sub-genre of 'misery memoirs'. She always focuses on the story of one child's journey from the moment they arrive on her doorstep to the time they get sent away (usually) to a happy ending. Along the way she spins minor mysteries about the child's background or experiences which get resolved to give the story a bit of narrative tug. There's always a lot of completely mundane detail about her d ...more
April
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
The author puts a name to the abused and allows people to see what truly happens in life. This is not a glamorized read of abuse nor is it a fable of what really happens. I have seen these cases and worse it really happens everyday within our society and sometimes it can be hard to see. This child is so caught up in her situation it becomes who she is. She turns to the things she knows and understands. I pray this book will help bring light to the many situation children must go through just to ...more
Celeste
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, 2015
I always feel that I shouldn't like Cathy Glass' books. The cheesy titles, the cute and tragic image of a child on the front cover (one that never matches the description of the child in the book), the whole 'misery memoir' feel. Not the sort of thing I usually have patience for. But the books are brilliant. As someone who has children, works with children, and has it in the back of my mind that fostering might be something I'd like to do in the distant future, the books are hard to put down and ...more
Ruth Turner
I’m not sure if I’ve ready too many books by Cathy Glass or if it’s just this one where the writing annoyed me a little.

At times, I felt a little as though I was repeatedly being lectured on the duties of a foster carer. And I really only needed to be told once how experienced she is, and how many children she’s cared for over the years.

I also think she sounded her own trumpet a little too often at times.

A good read, although heart breaking, as most of these stories are.
Ellyza
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
getting to like this genre.
but, i prefer rosie lewis kind of writing than cathy.
Gabriela
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Name of book: Another Forgotten Child

Author: Cathy Glass

Pages: 304

Genre: nonfiction

Reading level:

Exposition: The exposition of the story is that Aimee is an 8 year old girl who is in foster care. Aimee has a mom that doesn't cares for her and has never care for her. Aimee is not an only child though she has five siblings but she is the youngest one. The rest of her siblings are in a foster home already. When her other siblings were taken to a foster home she stayed with her mom who is a drug add
Rachel Dyer
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story and thought that, for the most part, it was very well-written and engaging. The only thing that kept me from giving this book a five-star rating was that the author comes across as very pretentious. In several places, she over-explains to the point that it made me feel that she thinks her readers are a pack of ignorant simpletons. For example, at one point she feels the need to explain what a group hug is. In another part of the book, the child in foster care tells the autho ...more
Nicole
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
The first thing I thought after reading this book was that anyone thinking of fostering a child should read this book. It is super straightforward, and realistic. I know the system in the United States, and it seems quite similar to the one Ms. Glass works within. It seems the system is as bad there as in US, and for anyone who ever wondered what happened behind the scenes this is the perfect book.

Cathy’s approach is very factual writing. I wished there was a bit more feeling in it, but I also
Kathy
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: own
"Another Forgotten Child" gets started from word one grabbing the readers attention and doesn't let go until you finished reading! Few authors seem to have the ability to impact a reader & reading experience like Cathy Glass does with this book.

While some parts are disturbing and heart-wrenching, Ms Glass does a superb job relaying everything in a matter-of-fact way. Ms Glass obviously has lots of experience in foster care and especially with more "disturbed" children - much kudos to her fo
Michaela Baldry
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book has been a real eye opener for me. I have read many books in the past in this genre, but each one seems to teach me something new. This one allowed me to see things from several different perspectives to give me a greater understanding of such situations.

Obviously it's not a happy, light hearted holiday read. Yes it is very emotional (all ranges of emotions) at times. It is hard to believe that it is true sometimes.

I couldn't put it down (though with 3 kids of my own, of course I had t
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
Another Forgotten Child is a well-written book in the sense that there is no great flaw in grammar and style.

The author is a professional foster parent and a damn good one. Her level of observation is acute and the results of this will leave you aching for the children involved, and furious with the competencies of the adults.

The bureaucratic nature of the British system will leave you grinding your teeth -- though I'm sure our system here in the US is no better.

What I enjoyed about the book was
Dan
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eight-year-old Aimee is an angry child and one that is used to doing what she wants. She comes from a home where here older siblings have already been through the foster care system and her mother is a drug addict. Social Services is trying to find someone to take care of this child, who has fallen through the cracks. In comes Cathy, who tries her best to give the girl the love and affection she sorely needs.

This is not fiction but true life stories experience by the author. It is interesting th
Ruth
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this heartwarming and yet heartbreaking story. Throughout the book we see the contrast between the life Cathy tries to provide and the life Aimee has lived. We see the contrast between Cathy's competency and the incompetency of both the social service system and Aimee's birth mother.

If I had one criticism of the book it is that Cathy came across as too perfect. She never got mad, always got Aimee to do what she wanted, and had beautiful children.

Cathy is English and uses English spel
Christina Tanielian
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I chose this book because mt friend told me its a good book. The plot of the book is basically a little 8 year old girl names Aimee gets put into a foster home and a foster care taker adopts her. I liked the authors writing style because it felt like it was real and everything that was going on in the book was happening in real life as if I was the 8 year old girl Aimee or as if I was right there while everything was happening. I would definitely because its a good book and I know alot of my fri ...more
Maria
May 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Another story about a suffering and neglected child. I respect Cathy for what she does, it's a really great and a very necessary job, but let me say she isn't a writer. The book has seemed to me dragged out and that's why sometimes boring, but the language is very simple ant it's a big plus (just because I don't know English well and I could read the book without a dictionary). I hope Aimee, Jodie and other children don't mind about telling their terrible stories to the public, otherwise it can ...more
Nancy
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really like Cathy Glass's books. I would recommend them to anyone that liked Torey Hayden or Mary MacCracken. All of these authors trace the growth of children with enormous emotional challenges. Cathy Glass is British and so shows us another country's way of helping these children. The things that work and those that are problematic. Ms Glass's dialog is sometimes stilted, but she is a great storyteller. When I pick up her books, I just can't put them down. I get absolutely nothing done until ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

My first book written by Cathy Glass and most certainly not my last. I loved her inside look to a foster care system that still has some work to do, but despite its faults is in general doing good work taking care of children when a family may not have the full capacity. I fell in love with Aimee and loved the honesty that Cathy provided in sharing her story with the ups and the many downs.
Samantha Majewski
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is good for the most part but as others have mentioned there are parts of this book that seem to just drag on and on at times that just really aren't necessary. If someone decided to revise this, take out a paragraph or two here and there summarize this page, we would have a perfect 5 star book in my opinion.
Leigh Bandy was ellis
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it

Really interesting book. Good insight on what foster carers have to deal with and how social services miss vital signs in cases of real neglect.
Enjoyed it...but have really enjoyed reading all her other books. Enjoy true stories and this is a topic that interests me...not the sad bits !!
Heidi
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another inspiring story from foster carer Cathy Glass. 8-year-old Aimee came into her home filthy, downtrodden, and barely educated. By the time she joined her new "forever family," she had transformed into a happy, loving, social child. Heartwarming.
Renee
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mmm-2013
I give this 5 stars because it's really about the unconditional love of one woman for one foster child. It's the of story that reaffirms your faith in mankind.
But I will drop it to 4 since it's harder to read since it's written in the Queen's English

Karen
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was one of the Cathy Glass "based on a true story" books that I really enjoyed, mainly because I love a happy ending.
Ann
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love Cathy Glass books - she is a hero.
Jillian
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
greart book as per from this author.
Connie Vogelgesang
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
depressing but sadly true
  • Too Hurt to Stay: The True Story of a Troubled Boy’s Desperate Search for a Loving Home
  • Nobody Came: The Appalling True Story of Brothers Cruelly Abused in a Jersey Care Home
  • When Daddy Comes Home
  • Groomed: An Uncle Who Went Too Far, a Mother Who Didn't Care, a Little Girl Who Waited for Justice
  • Scarred: She was a slave to her father. Pain was her only escape.
  • Hush, Little Baby
  • Cry Myself to Sleep
  • Helpless: The True Story of a Neglected Girl Betrayed and Exploited by the Neighbour She Trusted
  • The Girl in the Wicker Basket
  • Hurting Too Much: Shocking Stories from the Frontline of Child Protection
  • Silent Sisters
  • Mummy's Little Girl: A Desperate Race To Save A Lost Child
  • What Daddy Did: The Shocking True Story of a Little Girl Betrayed
Cathy Glass is a bestselling British author, freelance writer and foster carer.
Her work is strongly identified with both the True Life Stories and Inspirational Memoirs genres, and she has also written a parenting guide to bringing up children, Happy Kids, and a novel, The Girl in the Mirror, based on a true story.
Glass has worked as a foster career for more than 20 years, during which time she ha
More about Cathy Glass