Start by marking “The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)” as Want to Read:
The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)

The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)

REVISED AND UPDATED 2014 EDITION

Magnesium is an essential nutrient, indispensable to your health and well-being. By adding this mineral to your diet, you are guarding against—and helping to alleviate—such threats as heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, diabetes, depression, arthritis, and asthma. But despite magnesium’s numerous benefits, many Americans remain dangerous
Published December 26th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Magnesium Miracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magnesium Miracle

Start your review of The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
Connie
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
not long after I was slammed with MS, I made it a priority to increase my study of complementary and alternative medicine, the use of supplements, nutrition – – – all that in relationship to proper nerve and muscle function.

For anyone who is not aware, MS does a real number on the central nervous system, and since all muscle function is a result of nerve action, as soon as the nerve action starts to go south, so does muscle function.

One of the many books listed in the bibliography of "Transderma
Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-books
Magnesium is so important for general health and doubly so when you have a serious disease (such as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis etc.). It plays important roles in heart health, muscle function, neurological function and so much more.

This book talks a lot about how magnesium can help in many different conditions. This book contains little practical information about supplementation however. There is not much in detail information about the use of magnesium oil or doses of magnesium over 400 - 600 m
Iona  Stewart
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-written, easily read and IMPORTANT book, magnesium being the most essential supplement needed.

In this comprehensive treatment of the various ailments/diseases caused by lack of this mineral, the author includes chapters on depression, migraines. strokes, hypertension, PMS, diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome, etc. etc. In fact the author lists 68 common complaints caused by lack of magnesium and cites various medications also causing such lack. Magnesium regulates more than 325 enz
Orbs n Rings
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Important health information your family physician may never speak to you about.

This little book is very dense with important information and I cannot begin to even tell you what a life-changing experience it has been for me. If you are seriously looking to feel better and improve your health overall, this book will help you do just that. One interesting point I would like to make here is that whatever your ailment may be, it probably is due to a magnesium deficiency.

You are probably wondering h
Lee Ann
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the original book a couple years ago when it first came out and decided to purchase the updated version to refresh my memory on a few things. It’s interesting how many metabolic processes depend on Mg and how many medications will deplete your Mg stores. Another item of interest is the soil depletion of Mg with aggressive farm practices so it is more difficult to get the needed magnesium from your food supply.
I used to take around 100 to 200 mg of magnesium citrate to help me sleep bette
Christine Calabrese
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish as I found it a bit repetitious. It seems like everyone who gets on the health kick of a particular supplement seems to find cause that it is the cure for everything. That just was a bit much. Furthermore, I tried the product and it doesn't sit well with me. I do think that D'Adamo is on to something, we're not all the same and don't have the same digestion for every thing!
jeni brasfield
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot stress enough the power of magnesium. I frequently reference, recommend, and gift this book!
Stephanie
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
An informative, easy read about the importance of magnesium in several body system functions. As a female, I've long heralded the necessity of calcium intake for bone health. Balancing magnesium intake with that calcium was a new fact I quickly put into practice. Dr. Dean touts transdermal magnesium oil as being quickly absorbed and highly bioavailable, so I purchased some to apply daily. I have noticed significant changes- more consistent sleep and relaxed muscles to name two. I highly recommen ...more
David Lynn
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book opened my eyes to how important magnesium really is... When I first heard of this book I said I don't need to read that I can just take magnesium and I'll get all the benefits... But now I know that I will never stop taking magnesium, in fact I have been taking it a lot more. I feel better then I ever have, I'm turning 40 and I feel 18 again my hormones are normalizing and my health is flourishing. Read this book!! I've read probably hundreds of books on health and this is one of the b ...more
Abra Smith
This book was very informative and I was very much interested in the subject matter. It is somewhat clinical so there were parts of it that were over my head, but, overall, there was much good information to be gleaned. I do highly recommend it as information we all need to know. I didn't give it more stars only because it's just not the kind of book that leaves you spellbound. But for the type of book it is, it is excellent. In fact, I have purchased three more copies to give to family members!
Mark Fine
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a medical professional so I hesitate to give a review that includes health advice, beyond the recommendation that this is an important book to read on the subject of magnesium deficiency. A topic that's surprisingly overlooked by the health profession. Suffice to say that after reading Carolyn Dean's articulate book I'm sufficiently convinced to add 400 mg of Magnesium Citrate to my daily regimen. Time will tell of its long term efficacy, but in the near term I feel sprightly and well.
Connie Rogers
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have had mirgraines so bad that I have been hospitalized several times. After about 6 months of taking magnesium suppliments my duration and severity of the migraines were cut in half. Very thankful for this!
Guillaume Belanger
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Carolyn Dean has played a major role in bringing attention to the importance of magnesium, and this throughout her career as a medical practitioner, teaching patients, colleagues and the general public about the consequences of magnesium deficiency and the amazing---indeed miraculous---benefits of magnesium supplementation.

In this book, the author presents a summary of what makes magnesium unique and important, its physiological role in humans, (in fact, in all higher animals), and then engages
Stephanie
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Four-star book not due to any literary prose, but due to essential medical information. Magnesium is the neglected mineral next to it's cousin, the over-prescribed and over-hyped calcium, yet magnesium has numerous benefits for people with high blood pressure, heart disease, migraines, fibromyalgia and more. The takeaway, everyone should take the right type and dosage of magnesium! It will change your mood, reduce muscle tension, and if the medical studies are correct, help prevent heart disease ...more
Scarlett
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It opened my eyes that there might be a simple way of treating many different medical issues. I think she perhaps makes too many claims, so it can be hard to sort out when they're solid research indicating magnesium supplementation vs. a hunch or plausible indication. Also, because it focuses on magnesium only (which is in many ways appropriate) it leaves out potentially vital information about confounding variables. Great book as long as you read it with a critical eye.
Lauren
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, health
The information presented in this book was extremely interesting however I didn't like the way the book was organized. Some parts were definitely more interesting than others - I ended up skipping around to the most relevant sections. I picked this book up because it was recently recommended to me to start taking magnesium supplements and I wanted to understand more about why. I have noticed a pretty amazing difference in how restful my sleep is and a decrease in anxiety. Worth it to me!
Mary
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A full course on magnesium

While researching chronic illnesses I found out about magnesium therapy. This book provides the most information of any I have read. I liked that it was broken into chapters about specific illnesses. After reading the early chapters, I could skip to the chapters that pertained to my illness.
Wendy Wong
Excellent material a little too much and a little repetitive

Very instructive, but probably too detailed for some and a bit repetitive in places, perhaps intentionally so. I think this information is very important.

Also the tone towards allopathic doctors is unnecessarily harsh and alienating. She would have been more effective being more compassionate and understanding.
Debbie
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book should be on every shelf, a must read. Dr. Dean is well schooled in magnesium and the necessity of this mineral in our bodies and she lays it out with a passion that I only wish more Dr.'s would have. Her passion in helping others to live and be well is commendable.
Jason Diederich
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'd be happy to give this book more star for offering true and useful information. However, there is a little bit of science, and a smidgen of how-to, inside a whole bunch of anecdote. I would rather have had a pamphlet.
Jenna
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book really makes me feel like I need to reevaluate my diet!
Ms. Awai
May 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
She lost me when she tried to use Wikipedia as a valid source...
Smerdyakov
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Give us some randomized controlled trials.
Mary-ann Owens
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know so many of the body's functions rely on Magnesium.
Josh Laird
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Carolyn has spent her life researching Magnesium when few doctors recommend it as there are relatively fewer funded trials for Magnesium compared to pharma funded drugs. She shares her research and how common symptoms can be cured by Magnesium than antidepressants, anti-anxiety pills and commonly prescribed drugs that treat the symptoms and not the problem.

I will be revisiting this book in a few months to relay whether Magnesium supplementation has been successful for my fibromyalgia but there w
Waseem
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting and eye opening book about the importance of magnesium and it’s many vital functions. It was a bit longer than needed where it seemed to turn into a reference guide vs book when it kept going through countless ailments and how magnesium can impact them - and ironically the specific ailment I was interested in wasn’t covered in depth compared to others which made me think again why if it covered many, or chose some over others and if it was just better of sticking to the point of why ...more
Len
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I found the information in this book invaluable for dealing with my own issues of magnesium deficiency and afib (atrial fibrillation). I take my hat off to Dr Carolyn Dean who suffered from her own problems with atrial fibrillation and decided to see if there was anything diet related that would help her. After her own research with supplementation she found that magnesium played a big role in her recovering from atrial fibrillation. When I first read this book I was a bit skeptical ...more
Ann L.
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: non-fiction, health
Eyeopening and informative. A must read for anyone looking to improve their health. Magnesium deficiency is a very serious matter. A deficiency that affects hundreds of body functions, in which may get mistaken for other diseases in which dangerous drugs would be taken. Even doctors can't always pinpoint what your issue might be if you're having certain issues, so taking magnesium is a good starting point. This book tells you exactly how to go about seeing if you are deficient and what to take a ...more
Brad Poirier
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truth about importance of magnesium

Unbelievable importance of magnesium to our health supported by documented research and clinical testing. Can't believe how uninformed most medical doctors are and frustrated with the misleading information drug companies spread through hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising. Wake up everyone and stop buying into the nonsense drug companies and ill informed doctors are spreading. Take responsibility for your own health.
Thyme Wisper
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Outstanding. This 2014 edition has so much extra material added since the previous edition that I had, and I had raved about the previous edition. Scientific and practical information. Sound research. Personal tips. I didn't feel pushed to buy "her" product, but understood why she promoted it. From personal information she gave, you could tell that the whole subject was very important to her personally. I can relate.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I like books :) http://ForumSanal.Org 1 5 Apr 21, 2014 03:33AM

• The Salt Fix: Why the Experts Got It All Wrong--And How Eating More Might Save Your Life
  • Eat Dirt: Why Leaky Gut May Be the Root Cause of Your Health Problems and 5 Surprising Steps to Cure It
  • The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
  • Dirty Genes: A Breakthrough Program to Treat the Root Cause of Illness and Optimize Your Health
  • Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life
  • The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability
  • The Gods of Mars (Barsoom #2)
  • John Carter of Mars (Barsoom #11)
  • Lenin the Dictator
  • 4 Seconds: All The Time You Need to Stop Counter-Productive Habits and Get the Results You Want
  • John Carter: A Princess of Mars
  • Who Is Malala Yousafzai?
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • Undoctored: Why Health Care Has Failed You and How You Can Become Smarter Than Your Doctor
  • The Book of Pook
  • Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day
  • The Case Against Sugar
  • Medical Medium Thyroid Healing: The Truth behind Hashimoto's, Graves', Insomnia, Hypothyroidism, Thyroid Nodules  Epstein-Barr

News & Interviews

“Magnesium deficiency can produce symptoms of anxiety or depression, including muscle weakness, fatigue, eye twitches, insomnia, anorexia, apathy, apprehension, poor memory, confusion, anger, nervousness, and rapid pulse.” 9 likes
“Serotonin, the "feel-good" brain chemical that is boosted by Prozac, depends on magnesium for its production and function.” 3 likes