Start by marking “Klondaeg The Monster Hunter (Klondaeg #1)” as Want to Read:
Klondaeg The Monster Hunter (Klondaeg #1)

Klondaeg The Monster Hunter (Klondaeg #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Klondaeg is the self-declared world’s greatest monster hunter. Armed with a bickering battle-axe with a split personality, he rampages through the countryside in a tireless quest to avenge his parents and slay every monster that crosses his path, is visible from his path, or even leers in the general direction of his path. Join Klondaeg on five madcap adventures, full of w ...more
Published May 19th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Klondaeg The Monster Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Klondaeg The Monster Hunter

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, but I’ve been struggling with the review because these sorts of books just don’t lend themselves well to my reviewing system. A 150-page book just doesn’t have the page time to devote to intricate world building or super in-depth character development, there’s just not enough time. The point of this book was a light-hearted comedy that’s more like a novella than a novel, and I’m grading it as such.

Plot:
Klondaeg is a Dwarf, and a monster hunter. When he was young his parents we
Swiffer
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Writing an engaging story that combines comedy and fantasy can be tricky. These themes share some common traits: there’s an unknown variable in magic that prepares the reader to be mystified, which is has a similar structure to setting up a humorous scene for a surprise punchline. But the themes don’t always mix well. While reading a comedy, I often wonder if the author is sacrificing certain story elements in exchange for a timely and humorous scene. Who has time for a deep dive into a characte ...more
Stewart Tame
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I won a free Kindle copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Okay, so Klondaeg is, as the title says, a monster hunter. He’s a dwarf, not too bright, prone to charging directly into battle yelling and waving his axe, the King’s Rest. The two blades of his axe, Dexter and Sinister, both talk, and each has its own personality.

And he hunts monsters. Because monsters killed his parents.

And that's it, really. There's not much of a plot. The book is written as a series of shorter episode
Liam Perrin
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had an absolute blast with this. There are multiple memorable scenes, but my favorite part is the final section entitled "More by Steve Thomas" because it means I'll get to spend more time with Mr. Thomas and with Klondaeg. I didn't lose any weight while reading Klondaeg The Monster Hunter, but I increased my maximum push-ups by 5.2%. This means that while my body mass remained the same, I grew smaller and more dense - becoming more like Klondaeg in other words. Graa...!
Alyssia
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Klondaeg is such a fun read! Anyone who wants some wit, humor and fantasy (it's somewhat Munchkin-esque - very genre-conscious and self-mocking, but with the basis to pull it off). I read this and "Smite Me, Oh Dark One" and found much to laugh out loud about. Thomas' work is full of humor and adventure and well worth the price. "Smite Me Oh Dark One" had the fabulous bonus of being narrated by the "antagonist" of the universe that both books are set in. Readers who enjoyed it are sure to be ple ...more
Rusty
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was sent a digital copy of this book in return for a fair and honest review. This is my first book by this author (Steve Thomas). Steve pitched it as a “comedic fantasy adventure romp” so I had a little idea what I was in for. Plus, the cover tips its hand here, too.

We meet Klondaeg (Pronounced with a silent g. Long story – read the book!), a dwarf who is on a mission to wipe out all monsters. For him it is revenge since a monster killed his parents. Which monster? He’s not sure so he decides
Rebecca
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun bite-sized set of episodic adventures following a dwarf who has a literal (mythic) axe to grind with monsters. I think this would appeal to readers of Kings of the Wyld, a bit more lighthearted, but similar tone with a tongue firmly planted in cheek about the genre.
Scott
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it

Klondaeg The Monster Hunter takes place in the same universe that Steve Thomas created in his short story Smite Me, Oh Dark One. He continues to use this particular realm to tell stories of humorous fantasy. Klongaeg is a dwarf whose obsession is killing monsters. With a sentient ax that has two distinct personalities, one for each face, he is pretty constantly engaged in amusing banter.

This is not a book for someone who is looking for a serious dark fantasy, it is fantastic for peopl
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Klondaeg the Monster Hunter is a dwarf, that carries King's Rest~his axe, all the while battling undead magma goat. Klondaeg believes his battle with undead magma goat was started by a gnome. Gnomes are not known to be friendly creatures and mostly keep to themselves. Klondaeg is asked to hunt a gnomelobo yet is warned that gnomelobos are dangerous. Klondaeg and Dalvinus work together well and knows the only plan Klondaeg subscribes to is crush them. Dalvinus respects Klondaeg yet wishes he woul ...more
Steven Raaymakers
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Klondaeg is a funny, nonsensical fantasy which plays with all of the genre's clichés without apology. The two-headed axe is great, with witty dialogue and commentary. Klondaeg is a dwarf who is unabashedly single-minded, the only tool in his box being "smash it with an axe and see what happens".

The various side-characters are all well-written, with a fascinating array of personalities.

I'd like to give 4.5 out of 5, as I think there were some slow parts which could have been shortened or added so
Mark Lucas-Taylor
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun read written with style, wit and a very wry and dry humour.
I am always pleased to discover a new author that appeals to me and Steve Thomas with Klondaeg does so on many levels. His gods are petty and vindictive and his monsters are nasty. His characters are odd and interesting. Steve is writing in a trope laden genre and tries, successfully, to avoid these tropes giving us tales that entertain and amuse, sometimes even laugh-out-loud amuse.
If I had any criticism it would be “The book is
Cst
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-fantasy
It was okay while it lasted and it wasn’t long.

To be fair, the setup and the first part work great. The world shows great potential and the hero could be very funny. The fun doesn’t last, there is too little variance in the jokes. It is essentially the same joke repeated again and again.

The book ends before becoming too boring, but I don’t really want to know more about the heroes right now. Maybe some time later.
Heather Bridson
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I won a kindle copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I have to say it is an entertaining book. To me it is a D&D adventure with a Dwarf Barbarian leading the little party thru the adventure, stopping whenever there is a monster to kill it while the rest of the party tries to keep up and keep the adventure on track. No real depth to the story, just a fun read. Who wouldn't find a story with a two headed axe with a mind in each head that talks entertaining....
Mary Ortiz
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book to my daughter it was an interesting read and at times very funny.
David Read
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Not Terry Pratchett by any means, but fun nonetheless.
S.M. White
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This light-hearted fantasy, full of familiar tropes and situations to the genre, all manicured and fresh, is a tale worth your time. I had too much fun reading these episodic adventures which were woven into a brilliantly designed complete narrative. Thomas, cleverly funny throughout, manages to produce a fantasy tale that is both rich in characterization and flawlessly executed in plot. It's a short book, and I'm never one to spoil twists and revelations, so I'll keep it short and simple. Read ...more
Kyra Halland
Klondaeg's philosophy in life is simple: kill all the monsters. With the help of his trusty talking double-headed axe, King's Rest (the name is literal), he goes about attempting to do just that, in the hopes of eventually taking revenge on the unknown monster who killed his parents. Along the way, he encounters supposedly extinct bird people, a hero resigned to the prophecy of doom upon his head, gnome werewolves, and undead magma goats.

This is a funny, well-written and fast-moving tale that ta
Jeffrey Poole
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
No one wants to tangle with this dwarf!

I received a copy of this book a while back and it sat, waiting patiently, on my iPad for several months before I got around to reading it. Let me just say that I wish I would have read it sooner!

The story focuses on Klondaeg, a fearless monster-killing dwarf who roams the countryside, along with his talking axe, looking for bigger and badder things to kill. He encounters a colorful mix of characters, from the princess of the bird people to a mischievous cr
Pauline Ross
Most fantasy takes itself very seriously, so it's always refreshing to come across something that's just light-hearted fun. I enjoyed the author's previous comedy outing, 'Smite Me, Oh Dark One', as well as both his full-length fantasy books to date, 'An Exercise in Futility' and 'Harbingers of Mortality', so this was a must-buy for me.

The story features the eponymous monster hunter, his two-headed talking axe, a shape-shifting gnome, a retired hero, an oracle and a god or three, as well as a w
Mia Darien
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
On my blog, I actually give this a 4.5.

Since one is a short story, and they are in the same world, I'm combining reviews.

I enjoyed both of these. They're very funny, merrily poking at epic fantasy while, you know, writing epic fantasy. I've been on a humor/fantasy kick lately, so these were right up that alley. I liked the over-lapping between the stories, and the gods that there were greatly amused me.

Something about Smite Me didn't quite snag me enough to give a huge rating, but I did like it.
July Is The Shadow Out of Time The Haunted Reading Room
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to July Is The Shadow Out of Time by: GMTA Reviews
Review of Klondaeg the Monster Hunter
4 stars

An engaging, tongue-in-cheek short fantasy saga about Klondaeg, a Dwarf who grew from Rat-catcher (like his late lamented parents) into Monster Hunter, and strolls the lands with his double-headed, multiple-personality axe, “King’s Rest” (consisting of Dexter on the right, Sinister on the left). Dexter and Sinister, like Klondaeg, are opinionated, not that any of the three ever listens to either of the others. Before this segment is finished, Klondaeg
Rachel
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Thomas's brand of goofy logic causes both laughter and head-shaking. Having gamed with adventurers like Klondaeg, I can appreciate this special kind of dementia. I found some lines a little over the top, but laughed more often than not.
Gary Tong
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I can honestly say I have never read anything quite like this before. At first, I didn't know what to make of it. After the first couple of pages I realized it wasn't supposed to be an epic, but more of a comedy. The talking axe was cool. Good solid read for a dirt cheap price of $.99 cents.
Vicki Hunt
Jun 17, 2018
Sheila L
Sep 09, 2015
Alex
rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2014
Indie Book Club: September Fantasy BotM: Klondaeg The Monster Hunter 38 42 Oct 02, 2012 09:28PM

Klondaeg (4 books)
  • Klondaeg Saves Fromsday (Klondaeg #1.5)
  • Klondaeg and the Klondaeg Hunters (Klondaeg #2)
  • Klondaeg: Lord of Heroes (Klondaeg #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)