Start by marking “On a Wing and a Dare (Flying Horse Books, #1)” as Want to Read:
On a Wing and a Dare (Flying Horse Books, #1)

On a Wing and a Dare

(Flying Horse Books #1)

In Tremeirchson, a barn leader’s children are expected to follow their parents into the sky, becoming riders of the magnificent winged horses that are the medieval Welsh village’s legacy. Neither Emma nor Davyd, however, want to follow that tradition.

Sixteen-year-old Emma risks losing her family by following her heart. Eager to take her place in the air, she longs to ride
Published May 30th 2012 by Flying Horse Books (first published May 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about On a Wing and a Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On a Wing and a Dare

J.L. Campbell
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
STORYLINE: A mysterious disease attacks flying horses (oh yes!) in a Welsh town, where the economy depends on the activities surrounding these magnificent beasts. Relocate to a new settlement with hope for a bright future, or stay in a place where the prospect might be bleak; that’s the decision the folks in the town of Tremeirchson have to make.

PLAYERS:
Emma: A young rider who is torn between responsibility to her family and her attraction to two brothers from a competing barn.

Davyd: The brot
DelSheree
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tradition means everything in Tremeirchsen, and the elders expect the young people of their town to hold to what they have been taught. For Emma, that isn't easy when her father's plans for her future keep her from everything she loves. For Evan and Davyd, tradition must be set aside when the flying horses that are the town's livelihood start dying, but taking the lead may cost them more than they expected.

Now, some poeple might not think they would enjoy a book about flying horses, but I think
Jenny
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book at my 12-year-old's insistence. I only complied because she hasn't shown interest in my reading pleasures before. And it is just $3.99 on Kindle.

I wasn't wildly excited about reading this book, but it surprised me. This is a really good book. Quite a page turner. In fact, I finished it in just over a day.

Without giving it away, the story centers around a charming town known for its annual horse race with winged horses that can fly, of course.

This story offers a good amount of
Linda
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horses
I truly enjoyed this fantasy book about winged horses and the riders who love them. How totally awesome would it be to gallop with your horse as it picks up speed, unfolds and lifts his wings and takes to the sky? Wow, this is the stuff dreams are made of, and the author describes it well. But this story has lots for everyone: there's a great love triangle between Emma and two brothers from a rival barn, each who she loves in a different way. Then there's the horse she loves, also not from her f ...more
Angela Fristoe
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-books
Linda Ulleseit is an amazingly talented storyteller. On a Wing and a Dare brings to life a story of fantasy, love, and coming of age. The author manages to pull the reader into a historical Welsh setting with flying horses in such a way that it is easy to believe that they once flew between the clouds. This is a wonderful start to a series that I look forward to continuing!
E.M. Havens
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love horses. I've always loved horses so when I came across this book about horses with wings, I was ecstatic! On a Wing and a Dare is an easy read about these magnificent creatures. Although they are in the story a lot, there is also a large focus on relationships. While the biggest relationship struggle is a love triangle between Emma and two brothers, Ms. Ulleseit also tugs at the heart strings while she delves into parent/child, parent/parent, and friendships. Of course, none are easy.

This
Laura Thomas
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Emma is burdened with following tradition or following her heart.

She loves her family and takes her responsibilities seriously, but her strong bond with a winged horse from another barn is forcing her to make a tough choice.

Meanwhile, a mysterious illness strikes the flying horses and the townsfolk must decide whether to stay or move their settlement.

When I first discovered these winged horses I was so excited. I’ve had a love for them since I was a young child. and actually had an imaginary wor
Valley Brown
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
In some ways this is another story of a young girl rebelling against community and family traditions that stifle her dreams. It put me in mind of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, albeit on a much less complicated scale.

I'm not sure if this was strictly a YA fantasy, but it certainly fits the category. The story caught my attention and imagination, despite being somewhat predictable. Ulleseit nailed a lot of physical and historical details, making her fantasy world credible. I only w
Justin
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you like magic... and of course, flying horses, this book is for you! It has all of that, and more :)

Linda Ulleseit does a great job of building up characters that you care about, and relationships that you want to protect. In On a Wing and a Dare we have an adventurous coming of age tale that has many of the themes you might expect: Love, breaking free of traditions, and parental expectations etc. But in addition to all of that, Linda builds a wonderful fantasy world that feels real, and whi
Susan Stec
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love or power—strength or control. These are traits that drive the children of High Meadow down the paths that will either bless or corrupt them. On a Wing and a Dare is beautifully written, visually captivating with winged horses that add enchantment. I hope there's a sequel.

~~Susan Stec, author, The Grateful Undead
Vanessa Vendrasco-Aere
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it

This was a different read for me. I don’t usually read novels that are directed toward a younger audience (with an exception for anything Rick Riordan) so reading On a Wing and a Dare was something new, but it had some pretty great reviews, so I gave it a shot.

I loved a lot about this novel. I liked the premise (who doesn’t love Flying Horses?!), and I loved the novels mystery around discovering why these horses are getting this illness and dying. The auth
Kim
Aug 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
I can't recall why I added this book to my list - did I see it advertised somewhere, or did someone recommend it to me? It sounded like something I'd be delighted to read; A universe where pegasi exist, and a young woman falls for the son of the rival barn leader. Sounds great, right?

This book, however, was a huge let-down.

My first issue with the book is somewhere between language and world-building. This is a world where women wear frocks and caps, which feels removed from 'modern society', but
Natasha
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
...
I really loved this book. While preparing for the Rider's Ceremony, the people of Tremeirchsom learn that their beloved winged horses are dying out. They are even more worried to find out it may have been poison that caused it. They face a decision of whether they are going to move and rebuild their whole way of life, or stay at home where the winged horses species may die out. Meanwhile, Emma is having her own problems. She must choose beetween her family and her heart. She wants to ride a c
Brenda Sha
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was ok. I'm really excited to read the next book of series!
Me
Jun 25, 2012
Josie Allen
Dec 08, 2016
Linda Ulleseit
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi
Aug 30, 2014
Ann Everett
Jun 22, 2012
  • The Girl Who Remembered Horses
  • Journey to the Fringe (Stone Mage Wars #1)
  • Heart of the Witch
  • Timesurfers
  • Dead Girls Never Shut Up
  • Daughter of the Centaurs (Centauriad, #1)
  • Inquest (Destroyer, #1)
  • The Invisible Tower (Otherworld Chronicles, #1)
  • The Head and Not The Heart (Alex and Alexander #1)
  • Dark Magic (Harbinger P.I., #3)
  • Racing into Trouble (Timber Ridge Riders, #2)
  • Elias and The Legend of Sirok
  • True Horsemanship Through Feel
  • Fallen  (Coyote Moon, #1)
  • Believing in Horses
  • Steel Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles, #3)
  • Everything but the Horse
  • A Friend for Einstein, the Smallest Stallion
Linda Ulleseit was born and raised in Saratoga, California, and has taught elementary school in San Jose since 1996. She enjoys cooking, cross-stitching, reading, and spending time with her family. Her favorite subject is writing, and her students get a lot of practice scribbling stories and essays. Someday Linda hopes to see books written by former students alongside hers in bookstores.

Her first

Flying Horse Books (4 books)
  • In the Winds of Danger (Flying Horse Books, #2)
  • Under a Wild and Darkening Sky (Flying Horse Books, #3)
  • Wings Over Tremeirchson (A Flying Horse Novella)