Start by marking “Love Poems by Women: An Anthology of Poetry from Around the World and Through the Ages” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
For over 2,000 years women have been writing love poetry. Here is the first anthology of love poems written only by women. Poets from all ages and all parts of the world, expressing love not only for their male and female lovers, but for parents, children, friends, for art, God, nature, and homeland, are collected here, and include the works of: Sappho, Emily Dickenson, On ...more
Published January 16th 1991 by Ballantine Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Love Poems by Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Poems by Women

Randy
Sep 11, 2009 rated it liked it
The range of selection is wide (from Sappho to Sexton and beyond). But, sorry, my overall impression is lukewarm. The book is organized by themes in an attempt, I think, to give it some impact. But this, I think, makes it seem a bit more scattered. I carried this suspicion throughout that the poems were selected at times for their ability to fit into a particular chapter not because they were the best love poems the authors had to offer. That is the hardship, I suppose, of crafting an anthology. ...more
Valerie
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is one of the best poetry anthologies in my collection. Be warned though, it is not uplifting. It seems that when women write poetry about love they do not wax poetic about their lover's physical beauty or prowess, instead they write poems about all of the ways love can go wrong. There are about 350 poems in this collection, and I think they might have just scratched the surface.
James
Nov 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Some fabulous ones, some that didn't do much for me. A nice collection overall.
molly
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i picked this up for a pound in a charity shop bc sappho was mentioned on the contents page. very pleasantly suprised; an excellent anthology of love poetry by women (something ive been looking for for a while bc male love poetry makes me wna trappan my skull open), including poetry by woc and lesbians. the different sections to the anthology felt somewhat muddled to me, and i didn't see how some of the poems fit the aforementioned sections but still some excellent female poets i've never encoun ...more
J.M.
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: keepers, poetry
Funny story: my mother bought this for me while I was in college and, almost at the exact time she was in the story purchasing it, I was in a bookstore miles away looking at the women's section when this book fell off the shelf and into my hands. So apparently I was meant to have this book.

It's a very good collection of poems, most I've never read elsewhere, all love stories of varying degrees. My absolute favorite in this collection is "On the Road to the Sea" by Charlotte Mew, with the lines:

"
Amber
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of a diverse group of women, from many different times, cultures, religions, sexualities, ages and races. This collection may not have the premiere poems of some poets, but it is full of poignant verses that I would have otherwise not discovered- which I believe to the one of the biggest pros of an anthology versus a single-author collection. Something I will definitely hold on to to read to my future daughters.
diane
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
i don't generally get excited by anthologies, but this book is so thoughtfully edited. it's broken down thematically by stages of love, lust, heartbreak, etc.., while blurring the lines between all. the selections are excellent as well.
Jamie
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: poetry
favorite anthology of poetry to date
Tamitha
Oct 23, 2015
Vicky
Mar 24, 2016
Rocío
Excelente. De esos libros que te dejan con ganas de más.
Naz