Start by marking “The Emo and the Jock (The Emo and the Jock, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Emo and the Jock (The Emo and the Jock, #1)

The Emo and the Jock (The Emo and the Jock #1)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  447 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Evan Harris and Cole Morgan couldn't be more different. Evan is a lonely, abused emo who longs for a better life, while Cole is the popular quarterback of his high school's football team. Unbeknownst to Evan, Cole is gay and has had crush on him for years. However, Evan wants nothing more than to graduate and leave his current life behind him. Then, his teacher gives him a ...more
Published June 23rd 2012 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Emo and the Jock, please sign up.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) At the time you asked this question, the book was out of print because its publisher, Silver, had gone out of business. Silver took a very long time…moreAt the time you asked this question, the book was out of print because its publisher, Silver, had gone out of business. Silver took a very long time to return author's rights to them, so a lot of their books were out of print for quite a while. This one is available again and can be purchased at Amazon. I didn't find it at B&N, All Romance ebooks or Kobo, only Amazon.
(less)

John Ames
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5

Everyone knows that I’m a sucker for these types of novels and that maybe the reason why I was expecting so much more from The Emo and The Jock. Yes, I loved the plot since in this case; the jock was the smart one while the emo needed the help to pass math. The love story instantly pulled me in and soon I found myself loving the characters and story line.

There are just two things that I didn’t like about this story. One was the fact that the writer referred to Evan and Cole as the emo and the
Jenn
So, uh, wow. This started out really bad for me. I get the stereotype, but it felt like the author was trying to beat me over the head with it. The characters have names. I don't need them referred to as "emo" and "jock" repeatedly. The characterizations should be enough description. Also, the writing was too simplistic at times, well most of the time. I do think the relationship was built pretty reasonably, but I just didn't find myself really attached to either character. Even with all that th ...more
Kinny
I loved this story. The plot has been used before in movies and other romance novels but I love it anyway.

Evan lives in a trailer park and is abused by his alcoholic ass of a dad. Cole has it all, gorgeous, super smart, tall, football star and very rich with parents who travel a lot and just compensate their son with money. Evan is failing math and Cole who has had a crush on emo Evan jumps at the chance to tutor. Both characters are 18 and at their senior year in high school. Conflict comes in
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.15*
Some reviewers complained of the overuse of the words 'emo' and 'jock' for the MCs, and they are absolutely right. It got to be a bit much and I was literally waiting for the next time one of those two words was used for an MC as I was reading.
The storyline is hurt/comfort/abuse meets a YA Cinderfella and opposites attract with a crazy ex-stalker thrown in for good measure, it could have been better, I didn't connect or care for Cole and Evan as much as i wanted to, but I liked it well enou
Nikko
May 30, 2012 added it
Shelves: no-re-read
Usually if I don't put any stars on the book well, that means that book is just not my type of book and no way am i reading it again.. One thing that totally totally puts me off is when Charlie said the 3 words Cole immediately break the relationship.. What was he doing with Charlie for two years?? Don't tell me there's not even love during the two years.. That's what turns me off immediately.. I actually felt sad for Charlie.. Well, its only my opinion and I just don't like this kind of storyli ...more
V
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I really loved this 2 characters, and the story was pretty good.
The only reason I didn't rate it higher, it was because of the abused. This year alone, I have read so many stories portraying abused characters, it is getting really annoying.
The authors are running out of ideas that they keep using this, as part of the plot?
Leigh
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review posted at Under the Covers

Much like the mixing of two of your favorite foods that would never seemingly go well with each other until you give it a shot and suddenly discover that it the next best thing since sliced bread, there is something equally amazing about putting together two characters who couldn't be more opposite and finding them falling for each other. The story of the Emo and the Jock is just like that.

Meet the Emo: Evan Harris. He is a loner and the only emo in a small town
Nik
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: yl, m-m, silver
I liked this book but there were a few niggles. First, I found the constant reference to the two main characters as "the emo" and "the jock" to be way over used. I understand that we are working with stereotypes here but goodnight.. Second, while some of the writing was quite good, I thought the majority was a bit too simplistic. Alot of potential here but it fell a little short for me. Third, the major point of angst (Charlie) I honestly thought it was a bit overdone and didn't really feel much ...more
Enny
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it
2.5 stars rounded up because for once the jock wasn't questioning his sexuality and was tutoring the emo guy but the rest of the plot was too soap opera like for my taste.
Carey
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance, sports
3.5 stars, I was so excited for this story because the idea sounded like just what I was in the mood for. The story was good but I really was looking for more angst and it was short so you didn't have much time to get into the characters. All in all a good read because it kept my interest enough.
Gabbi
I’m a total sucker for books with the opposite attract theme. I knew by reading the blurb that I wanted to read this book, so when I received it to read and review, I quickly pushed everything aside and read it. I’m glad I did because I enjoyed watching the heroes, Evan and Cole’s relationship develop from friends to lovers as the book progressed.

Life isn’t easy for Evan. His father is both mentally and physically abusive toward him, so he avoids being home whenever he can. Unfortunately for Eva
Donna
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 00-m-m-read
Well, this one had a rough start... and boy could I have gone crazy with the highlighter on those grammatical errors! I was really looking forward to this story... loved the setting and the fact that the author is from West Virginia also... but I was about halfway through before I really got into the flow of this author's writing style! I think Ms. Phillips could have made better word choices at times, but overall I enjoyed the story! There were a couple of unexpected twists and turns, each one ...more
G.Cliffe
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
The author did a great job with this story. It may have been a touch predictable but the writing was so well done that you won't really mind. I found myself drawn into the characters, I worried for them, I hoped for them...so, I wanted to see how they coped with the things that the author threw at them.
This book had some interesting plot twists that keep you in the story and, by the end of it all, I found myself cheering for the main couple.
This is the first time I've read anything by N. Phill
Remus Grrrl
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Though I have to agree with the other reviewers that the use of the terms jock and emo were not only overused, but used awkwardly, I still loved this story.

I am a sucker for the stories of overcoming your past to find a better future. The harder the bumps, the better I feel when that happy ending comes. I guess it comes from knowing enough people who have gone through the same things, or similar.

I definitely will recommend this story to others.
Avril
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
This one started off rocky for me, but I'm glad I stuck with it. The first few chapters read stitlted, and I felt like the author was re-telling something instead of just letting the story flow naturally. Caught instances of author intrusion, but it worked out and I enjoyed it so we're all good. Good story.
Meggie
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
This story is to simple and to bland. I didn't really connect with Evan or Cole. I admit, the way it started it did pull me in the story, but I read other books with same topic, and as such it became boring. The emotions between both MC's weren't real in my book.
Georgine
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving it five stars because, for me, it was a beautiful story...Both Cole and Evan are great and lovable.
jules0623
Nice turnaround from the usual jocknerd-geek-emo story with the jock being the one comfortable in his skin. And this had a good plot behind the romance angle.
Jen Wilson
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book wish it was longer I really liked Evan and Cole.
Dallison
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but I would have given 4 stars if the author had not used the words emo and jock so often in the story.
Heller
Some nice characterization here but the stalker storyline is just too over the top for me. Still, sweet chemistry between the MCs.
Jenn
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not horrible, just sorta trite...
Diane
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really loved the characters in this book and I enjoyed the story, I'm just not sure if some issues were resolved as quickly as they were to keep the length down because it could easily have been a even longer book! The story developed well, and you did have an idea where both characters were coming from, but I guess I liked them enough that I wanted to know more!

And it's not that life was easy breezy for either character, quite the opposite as one deals with abuse while the other deals with ab
Margaret Foxe
This was a good high school new adult book. I say new adult because it has explicit material. A lot of reviewers complained about the way the author kept referring to the characters as "the Emo" and " the Jock". I can see what they're saying, but it didn't bother me too much. I thought the relationship between the two leads was very sweet. I loved how "the Jock" had a crush on "the Emo" for years and framed his picture, then got so flustered about it.

The whole plot line with "the Villian" aka "
Bitchie's in a book rut
I really enjoyed the idea of this story- the emo outcast type and the jock type, falling in love. The jock doing the one chasing for once was great. Watching them connect was great.

But then there's the bad. First off, the editing was horrible. Wrong words, and lots of words were just missing letters. It just needed some work. Then there was Charlie. I think his crazy was just shoved in there to produce more drama, and the story didn't really need it. I think it would have worked much better to h
Alan D.D.
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
¡¡Señor, esta lectura fue ÉPICA!!
Todo comenzando tan tranquilo hasta que de un momento a otro esos dos están portándose mal! Las descripciones son rápidas, directas, van al grano sin dar tantas vueltas, pero son las exactas en ás de una ocasión.
Los contras de este libro son solo dos cosas: La noche de la lluvia de meteorritos, que mee pareció algo adelantada en la trama, prefería que hubiera quedado más tarde, ¡Los chicos apenas se conocían! Nada de sexo, tranquilos xD Y lo segundo fue la primer
Heather♥
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved Evan and Cole together and how they started out so shy around each other. But then their passion quickly grew and before you knew it the pool table was getting a test in durability ;) There was enough angst to keep it interesting with the asshole alcoholic father, the crazy bird spurned lover and just teenage life in general. I was glad things worked out for these two lonely souls. It was an enjoyable read but I do have to agree with other reviewers about the overuse of the words "emo" and ...more
UnusualChild{beppy}
Synopsis: Evan can't wait to graduate and leave high school behind, as he is a loner. Cole is on the football team and has a crush on Evan. Evan doesn't realize it, but gets a change to know Cole better when he is assigned Cole as a tutor. As they grow closer, their happiness is threatened by Cole's ex.

What I liked: the premise

What I didn't like: this felt very simplistic, with boxes that were ticked for creating maximum drama, without regard to story. The editing wasn't the greatest, and I did
Anabella
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
La historia es bonita, me gustó el hecho de que siendo tan diferentes, Cole se sintiera atraído por Evan.
La historia de fondo es lo que menos me gustó, por eso no le doy más puntuación. Charly... bueno, no llegué realmente a entender a este personaje y las cosas que hace.
Algunas cosas son poco creíbles como
(view spoiler)
Pero en
Beck
Meh...my main complaint with this one was that the author kept on referring to the characters by "The Emo" or "The Jock"...I kinda got that one was an Emo & the other a Jock & I found the constant referral to their 'personas' rather than their names kept me at a distance from the characters...I had other issues but I can't remember them now...I did read this book after reading 5 bloody awful books so my tolerance may have been lower than normal...will try to read it again at a later date ...more
  • An Elf for All Centuries
  • Heartless (Keeping Secrets #1)
  • Forbidden Fruit
  • Steamroller
  • One Last Kiss Goodbye
  • A Hold on His Heart
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • (In)visible
  • Unintended
  • Absent-Minded Astrophysicist (Astrophysicist, #1)
  • Snow Bite, Blood Red (Once upon A Man #1)
  • Joys R Us
  • Bartender, PI
  • Kamikaze Boys
  • Distant Rumblings (Lords of Arcadia, #1)
  • Fire Play
  • Where You Least Expect It
  • Appearances Matter (Dumb Jock, #3)

The Emo and the Jock (2 books)
  • The Christmas Mix-up (The Emo and the Jock, #2)