Start by marking “The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)

The Shadow Cats

(Fire and Thorns #0.5)

Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness. And it was not Alodia.

Alodia is the crown princess of the realm. The sister who knows how to rule, and the one who is constantly reminded that she has not been marked for a grand destiny. But Alodia has plans, and she will be the greatest queen her people have ever known. So she travels--with her hopeless, naïve, chosen s
Published July 17th 2012 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Cats, please sign up.
Donna I hadn't read anything else in the series, but be prepared for a short novella with very little character development. I thought it was a mistake when…moreI hadn't read anything else in the series, but be prepared for a short novella with very little character development. I thought it was a mistake when I got to the end. (less)

Start your review of The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)
Katerina Kondrenko
5 out of 10

ревью на русском/review in russian

I dislike Alodia and this bonus didn't change my mind. She may be brave and clever and so on, but I can't stand her presence and attitude. In this bonus she continues to be ashamed of her sister, to feel love-hate toward her and to be Miss Ideal. Boring. Her story became something interesting only next to the ending (thanks to the guy she doesn't deserve to have as her friend). That's what I think about Elisa's sibling.

PS: Maybe glory for saving
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
Q:
Papá insisted she come along, that a wedding celebration would get her away from the musty books and rotting manuscripts she loves so much, give her a chance to see more of the kingdom. (c)
Q:
She reads widely and wisely, and knows an uncanny amount about those things with which she has little personal experience. (c)
Q:
Reading can only take you so far, up to the moment where you must take action with your own hands. (c)
Deborah
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it

I wish I’d read this before the trilogy.

While there’s nothing really new here it gives us a look at Alodia and Elisa. We understand a little more why Alodia is so harsh with her and why Elisa feels as if her sister hates her.

This turned out to be a nice quick read.
Ferdy
A bit of a pointless novella, it didn't really add anything to the series. Also, I hated Alodia, I was expecting her POV to flesh out her character and portray her in better light but if anything she came across even worse. She was needlessly mean to her younger sister, Elisa, no wonder Elisa was insecure and down on herself in the main novels, she'd had to put up with her bitchy sister's non-stop snide remarks and looks whilst growing up. It was hardly Elisa's fault she'd been coddled and shelt ...more
Jillian -always aspiring-
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads, novellas
Now I want a full book about Alodia, Elisa's sister.
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
This was great additional short story of Fire and Thorns series. While it's definitely my least favourite of the three novellas, I still enjoyed being in this world and meeting few of the characters once again. I was never the biggest fan of Alodia in the trilogy (especially the impersonal, quite cold way she acted toward her sister), so I'm glad that I was able to read from her POV and understand her a litte bit more. Short stories recommended for fans of the trilogy.
Natália Lopes
"Reading can only take you so far, up to the moment where you must take action with your own hands."
This novella is set before the actual first novel and explores one of the characters we've seen only briefly in the beginning and gives depth to her character, to her relationship with Elisa and expand the world Rae Carson created by developing more of Elisa's home-kingdom. This is hopefully a sign we'll see more of it in the next installments of the trilogy, and I'm excited to have Al
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
From Alodia's POV. It takes place before Elisa marries Alejandro, and offers insight into the sisters' relationship, which I particularlly appreciated, being an elder sister myself. I'd had a hard time with how cold and indifferent Alodia came across in the full installments of this series.

It's just a really good novella.
Alaina
This novella was so good! I've been dying to read this series and I'm beyond happy that I started with the novellas. I think this whole world that this book is set in is pretty freaking interesting. I loved all of the characters so much. I kind of feel like Alodia has a crush on Zito but that could just be me?!? I feel like my review for this book will be way different from anyone elses because I don't know anything about these characters. I haven't read The Girl of Fire and Thorns yet so my opi ...more
Kimberley doruyter
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
you get to see a different side of the not so nice sister.
Jessica {Litnoob}
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a cute addition to the series and explained why Alodia, who Elisa thinks hates her, would push her sister to marriage with a king. It didn't add anything to the over all storyline but it was a fun read all the same.
Nadine Jones
This is the first prequel to The Girl of Fire and Thorns, it is from Juana-Alodia's POV, Elisa's older sister (gahhhh dreaded first person present tense AGAIN!). It is short, obviously, so not a lot happens, there is no character development, and not a lot of insight is gained. The year before Elisa was traded in marriage to King Alejandro, she accompanies her sister on a trip to an outlying province for a wedding. A jaguar seems to be stalking the castle and out-lying regions; also, the ground ...more
Margaret Boling
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
7/18/12 ** I had to laugh when I read that this is "Fire & Thorns 0.5."

I thoroughly enjoyed this glimpse into Alodia's head, though I had to keep reminding myself that this was 1) before the first book, AND 2) not from Elisa's perspective.

My take-away: We can't assume that we know what others think about us. It was so interesting to understand that both sisters had so much respect for the other, but each often assumed the worst of the other.

Thanks Rae Carson for giving us this alternative perspe
C.C. Finlay
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Even though it's technically a prequel to The Girl Of Fire And Thorns, it's better to read it after. Seeing Elisa from her older sister Alodia's POV adds layers and dimensions to the original book, and the adventure expands the boundaries of the world while standing well enough on its own.

Yes, it's true, I'm married to the author -- but you don't think I would have married her if she wasn't an amazing writer, do you? She's an amazing writer. And this is an excellent addition to the GFT series.
Lady Flo
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh, my first finished book of 2016.
As for book itself could have more interesting.
Vi ~ Inkvotary
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-o-a-c, ebook

Style and Language
A nice and well written short story, that is the first of three that plays ahead of the actual novel The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

With The Shadow Cats we´ll get a closer look at Alodia, Elisa´s elder sister and crown princess of the realm. This story gives the reader a little glimpse about how she thinks and feels about her sister - the chosen one.

The two sisters are on their way to a wedding, but nothing seems to be as expected. The land is dry, looks somehow dead and the peopl
Riley
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This story had an interesting plot, surprisingly packed with mystery and tension despite its brevity. And as always, Carson's world building is impeccable.

However, my problems with the story were that Alodia's narrative voice sounds just like Elisa's; that the relationship between Alodia and Elisa is told instead of shown; and that I do not for a second buy that Alodia (as a crown princess) would either be so reckless, or so well-trained, as to go out into the mountains like that.

But oh well. Wh
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
This novella, for me, is a 3.5 stars, very nearly 4. I really enjoyed this little story, and it confirmed to me that I want to read this series. Although, I really want to read more about Alodia & Zito, rather than her sister Elisa. I grew to really like the both of them; tough as nails Alodia, and loyal & brave Zito. He doesn't ever hesitate to server his kingdom, and his princess, even when it costs him even more than he's already given in that service. And Alodia holding him in the highest es ...more
Aydrea
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read 8/1/13, re-read 6/16/15
Jenn
So, I'm pretty much coming into this series blind. I had heard of The Girl of Fire and Thorns and it had been on my to-read list for a few years now, but I just never got around to reading it. Now that I'm starting it, I wanted to read the novellas first since they are the prequels.

I can already say that I love this world that Carson has created. From the religions to the landscape to the magic, it sucked me in and made me excited to know more. I'm not sure how any of these characters fit into
VictoriaC_E1
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I finished the Fire and Thorns series one or two years ago (highly recommend!), and I was excited to see there was more to it, despite only being novellas. The Shadow Cats centres around Alodia, Elisa's (the protagonist of the Fire and Thorn series) sister, and how she deals with the troubles brewing in unprivileged areas of the kingdom. It was fascinating to see her relationship with Elisa from her point of view since Alodia was portrayed as the mean, jealous sister in the series. I look forwar ...more
Ashlyn
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short story. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is that I kept forgetting what I had read right before I went to read more of it. Overall, it was a really nice story and I am looking forward to reading the next one.
ضحى الحداد
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really nice way to introduce the world to us .. I liked Elisa and Juana and Zito, this is a short adventure about a mysterious Jaguar who attacked a village while princess Juana was visiting a royal soldier for his wedding .. fast paced and nice
Amber
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, short but really intense! I can’t wait to read more. I wouldn’t want to get on that older sister’s bad side. She’s a force to be reckoned with!
YA Novelties
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Check out this review on our blog!

The Girl of Fire and Thorns ended on such an exciting note, so when I heard The Shadow Cats was to be released, I instantly made this a must-read. Rae Carson has done a splendid job of world-building in The Girl of Fire and Thorns, incorporating Spanish and Catholic influences into a fantasy world and she has continued the expansion in the prequel as well.

The Shadow Cats expands on the strained relationship between Elisa and Alodia that is brushed on The Girl of
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
Good news, bookworms! THE SHADOW CATS is a prequel, so you don't need to have ever read Rae Carson before to pick this one up! It's a great introduction to Carson's writing style and the way she brings her characteres and world to life, giving you a taste of what you've been missing out on!

I sat on THE SHADOW CATS until right before THE CROWN OF EMBERS came out. I wanted to read it, then re-read THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS, then read THE CROWN OF EMBERS. It took me longer than expected to get th
Amelia
Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Review and More.

I'm a big fan of Rae Carson's debut, The Girl of Fire and Thorns. When I saw this one, I immediately rushed to buy it, even though I've never bought anything on my Kindle before. This historic buy was not disappointed. Rae Carson packs a lot of plot and character development into the equivalent of 54 printed pages. This time, we see Elisa through the eyes of her sister, Alodia as they encounter a problem in a remote part of their kingdom.

I
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013, novella
5 stars for such a short book? YES! It's awesome.

also on http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com

I don’t think I have ever rated any short book with 5 flowers before, but this book totally deserves it. Rae Carson knows how to write. After reading part one, I fell in love with her writing-style and she managed to create another fantastic story in only 54 pages. It made me extra excited for her second book – which I hope to get soon!

Alodia is Crown Princess of Orovalle and she is the older sister fro
Shara
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
My Rating: Good Read

This review will be short, sweet, and to the point. With no spoilers!

The Shadow Cats is a 54 page prequel to Carson's The Girl of Fire and Thorns, which debuted last year. I wish I could find the specific word count though, because the story, despite the electronic page count, feels shorter than 54 pages. No matter. It's not a tale that's absolutely necessary to the understanding of The Girl of Fire and Thorns; rather, it's an icing story. You know, as in icing on the cak
Kerry
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this little story.

I wasn't sure how I was going to take a story about Alodia (biased by Elisa's biases I think) but I really enjoyed this glimpse into her character.

In The Girl of Fire and Thorns, Elisa slowly realises that what she saw as animosity on Alodia's part wasn't; it was just two very different personalities who didn't really know how to communicate. Here, we see Alodia, older and more experienced, coming to realise this first. It's only a short story, so we don't get

• Endurance (Razorland, #1.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • The Darkest Magic (Spirits and Thieves, #2)
  • Venturess (Mechanica, #2)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves, #1)
  • Power Study (Study, #3.5)
  • Nobody Hugs a Cactus
  • Morrighan (The Remnant Chronicles, #0.5)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Straight On Till Morning
  • Radiant (Unearthly, #2.5)
  • Malice (Angelview Academy, #2)
  • Eve of the Exceptionals
  • Barefoot on the Wind (The Moonlit Lands, #2)
  • Code of Honor (Cipher Security #2)
  • The Oracle Queen (Three Dark Crowns #0.1)
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave

Fire and Thorns (4 books)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • The Empire of Dreams (Fire and Thorns, #4)