Start by marking “Her Counterfeit Husband” as Want to Read:

Her Counterfeit Husband

The Duchess of Watkins’ husband just died, and her unscrupulous brother-in-law is ready to step in as the Duke of Watkins. In desperation, she enlists the help of the butler, and the two determine to quietly bury her husband and pretend he’s still alive. It will be a secret they will keep to their graves in order to protect the estate.

After burying him in a forest in the m
Published September 4th 2012 by Ruth Ann Nordin's Books

To ask other readers questions about Her Counterfeit Husband, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Counterfeit Husband

Dawn

++Spoilers+++

Excellent! One of Nordin's best!

This will be a long review and I am going to do some things which I don't do but are needed. I am going to handle safety issues first whereas I usually put them last. This is because this book thrives on suspense.. and some may actually just want to know if it's safe without having the read spoiled.

Safety:

Hero-Unknown if experienced. No past history at all mentioned or known. (I'll get to this in my review)
Heroine-Experienced. Widow. Her de
Farshana
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book has been in my TBR for a long time and I remember adding it feeling excited about the whole prospect of amnesia and impersonation. Anna has already suffered enough from her abusive husband so when it looks like her more unscrupulous brother-in-law is going to become the next Duke, she decides to take matters into her own hands. With the help of the butler, Appleton she replaces her dead husband with a stranger look-alike and his amnesia aids in Anna's cause. The slow growth of romance ...more
L.G.
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
2.5 Stars
This book has been on mu TBR for what feels like centuries. The premise sounded so interesting that I just couldn't help myself but buy it. And now that I finally got to reading it, I was a bit disappointed. It was so predictable and slow, that it took me forever to finish it. Or maybe it was slow for me, because it was predictable. I don't know, but it was somewhat a 'meh' book for me.
Predictability aside, I simply couldn't connect to any of the characters. There was barely any charact
bell
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
First let me state that even though I gave this book 4 stars, I did not enjoy it. The book was well written and the characters developed, if I had enjoyed the premise I would have liked the book much more. Since my dislike is due to my personal tastes, I thought I should be fair hence the star review.The story is really about 2 strangers sweetly romancing each other and building a strong relationship. I realize that some people are totally into that and if thats your thing, you would probably en ...more
Squallogal
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars.

The plot was made to fit and not very realistic. Saying that, the writing was fine and the characters, though two dimensional were fine. I didn't buy into the stilted romance. It's more a thriller than historical romance. All the characters that should get there comeuppance die. There's no other plot. Some unimportant characters are highlighted and we spend more time with them than we should.

It was ok. I'm sure I'll have forgotten it by tomorrow.
April
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book last of the series bc I was just to impatient to read about Perry's story. I did enjoy this story. I loved the end where he turned out to be relation after all. I think that maybe I should have read them in order bc I found myself again feeling sorry for perry when already knew his situation. :) but this was a good book and had me wondering so much about her husbands replacement.
P.
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Once upon a time, some place else in the universe, there was a mean duke. He died. His duchess and the butler buried him the forest. On the way out of the forest they come upon a badly injured man who looks JUST LIKE the mean duke and who has completely lost his memory! And they lived happily ever after a bit of strife. Oh, did I mention the mean duke’s even meaner brother? And they lived happily every after! Two stars for sheer hilarity, although I doubt you can read the whole thing.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This was as unrealistic as it could be.
Jayna
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I generally read these types of books when I'm stressed as a type of escapism. This book had a different plot than most, which was appreciated. Unrealistic, yes, but different.
Candace
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Didn't finish this one. The writing style was not my cup of tea and nothing in the first few chapters really jumped out at me as super original. I've given it a 3 star because it wasn't bad by any means, I just couldn't finish it.

The premise (person with amnesia passed off as a spouse) has been done before. The heroine also starts off with a very generic relationship between her and the hero, in that, well, she doesn't want to be around him. As far as he's concerned they are actually married and
Abigail Laguda
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Long lost duke

Guy from the circus wakes up in a comfy bed after getting nearly beaten to death and a beautiful, rich looking woman says she’s his wife. I don’t know about you but if I were a single, penniless circus person I would buckle up and go along for the ride just like he did.
The stars align and it turns out you her “husband” is a duke! Kar ching! I would have no memory too.

It’s a great read, I enjoyed every word

You will too
Vivian Black
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MY FIRST READ BY MS. NORDIN!

BUT DEFINITELY NOT MY LAST! I read this in one sitting..on the edge of my seat!! The "make-believe" Jason was such an enjoyable character..if all ladies could be so lucky! And what a great character the butler was..Thanks for the entertainment.. I read many,MANY books..this is now one of my favorites! Kudos!!!!!
Joan
DNF at 12%

The dialogue in this novel grated on me: (especially as this is supposed to be a Regency novel)

"No one will believe my husband got beat up like this."

and

'You sure are persistent when you're awake."

I really don't think well-bred woman (a Duchess, no less) would speak like that.
Lorraine Anton
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great

Anna and Jason weren't always a good couple. This book has a lot of ups and downs, and twist and turns in it.
The characters make the book.
Somehow things work out.
Great ending. Happy ending.

#22 2019 purple 3part BNB Challenge
Pauline bird
May 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not good

I only read the first grandparents of this book, as it was boring and some what predictable, it was not really my cup of tea
Margaret Taylor
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Could not put this down. It was totally different from any historical novel I have read before. Very interesting take on the storyline.
Jackie
Full of twists that were easy to follow and some that were also expected as well.

Marilyn
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good

This book shows why women in the USA worked so hard for women's rights.women in England during this time had no rights.
Evelyn Derenzy
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrific!

A great romance of Jason and Anna as they traverse through the unknown of losing a memory and finally find themselves as one.
Earms
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Her Counterfeit Husband

This was a good read which I greatly enjoyed reading and couldn't put down till the end. Romance, intrigue, mystery, all wrapped up in one.
Margaret Heinrich
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nordin's story, as always, draws you ever deeper and keeps you interested. Good read, interesting characters, loved it!
Country Goose
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Highly Predictable, Easy Read

Classic story of an abusive husband on his deathbed, his wife ready for the relationship to end but dreading the worse corrupt brother taking his place. After her husband's death, Anna and her butler plan to conceal his death by burying his body far away and claim he is away to heal.

On a turn of events, they stumble upon a lookalike of the deceased Duke. Forming a new plan, they determine the best course of action is to play off the doppelganger as the duke.

Overall,
Judy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Her Counterfeit Husband by Ruth Ann Nordin
Anna, Duchess of Watkins has a problem. Her husband of six years is dying. Since he's cruel that might be good...only it could get worse. If he dies his brother, Lord Mason, will inherit the title and with the way he leers at her, it's hard to know which is the worst evil. Fortunately between her faithful butler, Appleton, and herself a plan is formed when her husband dies. And the plan gets even better when they happen to find her husband’s look alike a
Elizabeth
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anna &

I love Victorian books and this one is a keeper!
The story starts with Anna's husband very ill and consequently dies. There is no true mourning for him, he had been a terribly abusive husband and his brother can't wait to get the title and the widow. When her husband finally dies, Anna, with the help of her faithful friend and butler, bury him in a unmarked place and tell everybody he has gone on a trip. On their way back, after the gruesome did,the stumbles apon a unconscious man that
Taylor
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it

PRO'S
First off A++ for the amazing story line that Ruth Ann Nordin give in this book. It was entertaining, sweet and not exactly what you expected it to be. which made this book a whole lot better then the first book I read by her(The Earl's Inconvenient Wife).

CON'S
(SIGH) this book started strong with good writing and a strong story line ...................

SO WHATS THE PROBLEM YOU ASK?

Well the characters were what you would call boring! I know that the counterfeit duke was hurt badl
Judy Lavik
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Double the fun

Ruth Ann Nordin has done it again. In this book, we find our heroine married to a villain, but he's a villain on his death bed. His younger brother may be just as bad, possibly even worse, and he's waiting to take over the dukedom and its duchess.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, so when the duke dies, she plots to secretly bury him and pretend he's still alive. This is a short-sighted plan, but as she returns from the forest she discovers a man who has been beaten and l
Gretchen Fatouros
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Order...

* The Earl's Inconvenient Wife - Nate Buford (Earl of Roderick) & Claire Lowell
* Her Counterfeit Husband (no longer part of the series)
* A Most Unsuitable Earl - Ethan Silverton (Earl of Edon) & Catherine

* His Reluctant Lady (same time as "The Earl's Secret Bargain") - Christopher Robinson (ward of Perry/Earl of Clemen) & Agatha Lyons (Lady Richfield)
* The Earl's Secret Bargain (Marriage by deceit) - same time as "His Reluctant Lady" Lord Davenport, Lord Pennella, & Regi
Lauralynn Elliott
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really like Ruth Ann Nordin's western romances, but I LOVE her regencies! Her Counterfeit Husband is definitely my favorite book by her so far. I won't go into details about the story because another reviewer did that, so I'll just say I couldn't put this book down. I loved the intrigue as well as the romance. There were a couple of surprises, which I always like in a book. If you like historical romance, this is the book for you!
Lisa R
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another charming read

This author can certainly weave a good story. She creates characters with depth and humor. She pulls you in quickly with an immediate distaste for Lord Mason and his despicable brother! I totally fell in love with"Jason". I love it when a story charms me and makes me smile. This would have been a five star except that there were a couple of scenes that were a little more graphic than necessary for the story.
Cat
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I liked this story once I got past the suspension of disbelief. It might have benefited from some foreshadowing, maybe a prologue of a nurse spiriting away the sickly twin. The discovery of the identical man pat to the psychological moment was so unbelievable it stuck in my craw for several chapters. The rest of the story was enjoyable.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 28, 2015 09:59AM

• To Win His Wayward Wife (Scandalous Sisters #3)
  • Beauty for Ashes
  • The Bargain Bride
  • Nothing To Commend Her
  • Married to a Stranger (Danger and Desire, #3)
  • A Brooding Beauty (Wedded Women Quartet, #1)
  • One True Love
  • Masquerade Secrets (Scandals and Secrets, #2)
  • Lord Beast
  • The Bride Sale
  • Heartless
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • Montana Bride
  • A Scarlet Bride
  • Marriage of Inconvenience
  • Mutual Consent
  • The Banished Bride
  • The Secret Christmas Ciphers
What's to say? I write a lot. I read often. I sleep little. Once in awhile, I've been known to clean the house. A number of kids live in my house and there's this guy they call dad and I call husband. All in all, it's a pretty good life. :-)