Start by marking “Upon a Midnight Dream (London Fairy Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Upon a Midnight Dream (London Fairy Tales, #1)

Upon a Midnight Dream (London Fairy Tales #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  1,334 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
"I release you..." were the last words Rosalind remembered before her world went black. Stefan, the future duke of Montmouth, no doubt thought his words were welcomed but he couldn't have been more wrong. Oh, he was handsome as a pagan Norse god, but that was unimportant when her life as well as those of her family hung in the balance.

With less than six weeks left, Rosali
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 240 pages
Published May 27th 2012 by Astraea Press

To ask other readers questions about Upon a Midnight Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upon a Midnight Dream

Tifferz
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Upon a Midnight Dream is a sweet romantic fairy tale meets Regency with some twists that kept me captivated till the very last page. I could not pull myself away from this story to do anyother task. I am still thinking of this story weeks later. I look forward to the next book to see what happens with Rose's sisters. I was left enchanted but with hunger for more from the London Fairy Tale series. Ms. Van Dyken has proven many times she can produce a wide range of stories that leave me entranced! ...more
Amanda
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Really really really wanted this to be good. I love a twist on fairytales, but this fell short. It's believed that their family members are dying because of a curse, and the only way to break it is got her to marry the duke. She figures she's dying anyways so she won't get to be courted and fall in love, so she should take advantage of the duke wanting to marry her and make him try to court her, and despite his brother teetering on death's door, wait 20 days to get hitched. If that isn't
enough,
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I liked the characters and story; I just thought there was too much innuendo for my taste.

Content: Per www.likesbooks.com I’d say this would fall under their definition of “subtle." Their wedding night does eventual "fade to black" and is left to the imagination.
Alanna Jenkins
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Upon A Midnight Dream is the first a series of books based on fairy tale stories that Van Dyken has said she’s writing; this one, as indicated by the title, is based on Sleeping Beauty. Rosalind and Stefan are the eldest in their respective families and are honour-bound by a curse to get married; the belief is that unless each generation of the family join together in marriage, all members of both families will die; only they decide that they don’t want to. Fast forward sixth months, several mem ...more
Elc
Jul 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
I don't understand the high rating. The premise sounds good but when I started reading I had to myself just to read it. The story just seems so silly. I'll keep pushing myself to read and will update this rating if it improves but for now this is it.
Erin Mcmahon
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the sweetest tale of romance and a little regency added in with a twist of a curse. I loved this story!! Roselyn wants love and to be wooed. She has no desire to marry Stefan just because of a curse.
Stefan has no desire to marry he just wants to be left alone but with a dreaded curse that is threatening to kill his family he must change his mind.
This is not as easy as it sounds to just marry Rose he must work for her affection.
So sweet!!
Elizabeth
This novel was so disappointing! The story itself was cute, but the grammatical and punctuation and spelling errors were abundant to the point of distraction. I would love to say they're probably due to Kindle formatting flubs, but ... whoa. So very many errors.
January
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
Rosalind Hartwell's family has fallen under a curse, and it is all her fault... Well, it's half her fault.

The other portion of culpability falls on Stefan Hudson, the recently returned prodigal, the Marquess of Whitmore and soon to be Duke of Montmouth. It was their responsibility to marry and join the two families in order to avoid bringing the full fury of the family curse crashing down around them.

When Stefan and Rosalind call off their engagement, members of both families start dropping like
Kim
Upon A Midnight Dream is the first novel in Rachel Van Dyken’s new London Fairy Tales series. The Fairy Tales series is a spinoff of her highly successful Renwick House series. Upon A Midnight Dream is a re-imagined version of Sleeping Beauty.

Rosalind Hartwell and Stefan Hudson have a duty to their families that they cannot break. They must be wed or a family curse will descend upon both their families. Stefan, the Marquess of Whitmore, seems like an admirable husband by any standards, yet Rosal
Curly Carla Celebrity Readers

These books are a steal right now. You can get all four for only 2.97! Or you can get the first one for FREE!

This book is a fairy tale re-telling of Sleeping Beauty. It has a historical setting that I have come to love lately. First book in the series, YA genre. It was cute. The way the author wrote the sleeping curse was pretty cool. There was a bit of sleight of hand with this curse, which I liked and I can’t go in to it more because: Spoilers sweetie! T
Krystal
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a cute enough story, however I can't say it really stood out to me the same way other books by this author have. I really couldn't understand Rosalind at all. She's convinced that her family is going to perish due to a curse, but yet she won't agree to do the one thing that is said to break the curse? She seemed a little.. selfish. And while the Hero wasn't perfect by any means himself, I felt as though he at least tried. He tried to give her what she wanted, but it never seemed to be g ...more
Nellie
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really like this book. It was fun, romantic, and pretty clean. I was worried a couple times that it would get too steamy, and then it didn't. I was happily surprised! From the book:With less than six weeks left, Rosalind has stopped believing in the fairy tale, the prince on the white horse, and the stolen kiss that would awaken her from her worst nightmares. Resigned to her fate, she waits for the inevitable curse to run it’s course.
Jessica Call
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fairytales for grownups.

I loved this rendition of sleeping beauty! It was absolutely hilarious and charming and just a all out good time. Of course, there's a good dose of deception and dragons to slay. It was just perfect! I love a book that can make me laugh and make my heart race with anticipation and excitement! This author knows how to captivate your mind! I highly recommend you read this book. I'm excited to read the next one!
Samantha
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Tachel Van Dyken's writting I love that these are spin offs from the House of Renwick series and I really hope there will be more from the House of Renwick, but so far I have fallen in love with the London Fairy Tales.
Sandra R
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Delightful ! 4.5 STARS - There were a few issues with an odd word missing (kindle edition) and some issues with the writing style, but my rating is based on the wonderful Fairy Tale story. Just what I like to read to escape for a few hours.
Krystle
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Always love me a Rachel Van Dyken tale :)
Lelyana's Reviews

Buddy read with Nurmawati Djuhawan
Irène Wadowski uliasz
Un peu fouillis et de temps en temps surréaliste. mais dans l'ensemble on se laisse prendre par l'intrigue.
Sandy Wilbanks
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous! Very romantic and I actually laughed out loud continuously!
Heather
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance

Hilarious story to read. Romantic!
Kristen
This one was had too many majorly heavy innuendos for my taste...going to pass on it.
Elizabeth Collins
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorites
Bibliothekerin
Kelly
I didn't love the beginning of this book. It was a little disjointed and chaotic and I wasn't really following who was who and why they were important when things first got rolling. Eventually things settled down and I realized the lady Stefan was running from in the first chapter was NOT the heroine. Which, honestly, thinking that made things WEIRD for a while. Really weird.

But I got past it. And then things made more sense.

The minor mystery over what was causing Rose's illness wasn't all that
Stacey Raymond
Jun 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story was strange that it was clean, but it wanted to be dirty. It couldn't make up it's mind. The hero was a rake. I have never been interested in that kind of a character. If a guy released me from a betrothal, then went out on the town to have sex with anyone and everyone... I wouldn't take him back with open arms. I don't have a fantasy to have some sex god who is experienced, but has never loved when he is having sex. I would rather have a man who had been in love and was expressing th ...more
Claudia Cardoz
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't read much of historical romances but I loved this book. Beautiful, poetical. Well actually considering the Duke poetical is the wrong word to use. gorgeous and innocent, Rosalind has to marry the Duke in order to rescue their families from the curse that has been their for generations. But all Rosalind wants is to fall in love and for the Duke to propose to her with all the flowers and sonnets. the beautiful journey where they both fall in love was so worth taking. Especially the twist i ...more
Shirlyn Chin
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 It-would've-easily-been-4.5-or-5-stars star

After reading a few Goodreads review, I noted that this is not Stefan's and Rosalind's first appearance in Ms. Rachel's work. Although sometimes it can be frustrating to read a whole other series just to know the characters of the book you have read better, I admit to find it interesting to read the characters you know in another setting and time. So I supposed it is better this way so that I won't be bias.

This is my first read of Ms. Rachel's work an
Rebekah
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sleeping Beauty Romance.... but.....

I liked the premise and storyline of the story, bit it was just lacking. The romance bit was very teenagery... with PG-13 sex scenes. Wasn't hard core romance novel, but enough that you knew exactly what was going on.
The twist in the story was not exactly the way I had in mind, so very much surprised.
Not a series I will continue to read.
Anna Ballard
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Called a London fairy tale, it is a reasonable retelling of the sleeping. The heroine has a disease which makes her fall asleep when under stress. After much misunderstanding between the hero, heroine and their families, they marry. They also find out what is causing the misterious deaths in their families.
  • Two Turtledoves (The House of Renwick)
  • Her Reluctant Groom (The Grooms, #2)
  • A Bright Particular Star (Cavanagh Family, #2)
  • One Tempting Proposal (Accidental Heirs, #2)
  • The Whispered Kiss
  • A Dangerous Expectation (The Gentlemen Next Door, #3)
  • Heartless
  • To Dare the Duke of Dangerfield (Wicked Wagers, #1)
  • An Unforgettable Rogue (Rogues Club, #2)
  • Redeeming the Deception of Grace
  • As the Last Petal Falls (Once Upon A Romance, #2)
  • A Lot Like A Lady (Lady, #1)
  • A Husband for Miss Trent
  • Love Birds of Regent's Park (The Love Birds, #1)
  • Train Station Bride (Crawford Family, #1)
  • Devil in the Making (Devilish Vignettes, #1)
  • A Brooding Beauty (Wedded Women Quartet, #1)
  • The Counterfeit Husband
Rachel Van Dyken is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling author of regency and contemporary romances.

Hey guys I'm rarely on Goodreads, if you need to reach me feel free to email!
EMAIL ME: rachelvandykenauthor@gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rachel-...
More about Rachel Van Dyken

London Fairy Tales (4 books)
  • Whispered Music (London Fairy Tales, #2)
  • The Wolf's Pursuit (London Fairy Tales, #3)
  • When Ash Falls (London Fairy Tales, #4)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
“That with age, she becomes wise, self assured and confident. Consequently, the happiest women in the world are the ones that understand birthdays are a symbol of beauty. For there is nothing more attractive to a man than a woman who has truly lived. She who wears her age gracefully and with pride. Yes, birthdays for a woman are special. If anything, they announce to the world that you continue to grow more beautiful with time, like a rose coming into full bloom.” 0 likes
“His next words — though there was no way for her to know it — sealed her fate, her eternity, with that man. “I release you.” Stunned, she closed her eyes to gather herself. “Pardon? Am I some sort of wild creature that begs to be released?” 0 likes