Start by marking “Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)” as Want to Read:
Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)

Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard #2)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  87,691 Ratings  ·  4,513 Reviews
Thief and con-man extraordinaire, Locke Lamora, and the ever lethal Jean Tannen have fled their home city and the wreckage of their lives. But they can't run forever and when they stop they decide to head for the richest, and most difficult, target on the horizon. The city state of Tal Verarr. And the Sinspire.

The Sinspire is the ultimate gambling house. No-one has stolen
Published 2007 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Red Seas Under Red Skies, please sign up.
Gilda I would say Book 3 has some sexy stuff, but without being explicit. Nothing graphic. Through these books, women are strong and the love scenes reflect…moreI would say Book 3 has some sexy stuff, but without being explicit. Nothing graphic. Through these books, women are strong and the love scenes reflect that. (less)
Amanda The first of the series, to me, is a stand-alone, and the end wraps up fairly well. Book 2 references book one a bit, and ends with something of a…moreThe first of the series, to me, is a stand-alone, and the end wraps up fairly well. Book 2 references book one a bit, and ends with something of a cliffhanger - book 3 references both books heavily.(less)

Patrick
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest, when I first read this book, years ago, my reaction was kinda "meh."

Or rather, I *remember* it being that way. It was a long time back, and I can barely bring to mind what I ate for lunch yesterday. So I'm not terribly reliable that way.

I also vaguely remember that it wasn't as talked-up as Lies of Locke Lamora. There wasn't the same excited buzz about it when it came out, so I remember feeling reasonably justified in my "meh" feeling.

That means reading through it again a seco
Ridley
Dec 08, 2012 marked it as to-buy-big-publisher  ·  review of another edition
After reading a Tumblr post Where Lynch responded to a reader's complaints about "political correctness" in this novel, I am intrigued.
Why shouldn’t middle-aged mothers get a wish-fulfillment character, you sad little bigot? Everyone else does. H.L. Mencken once wrote that “Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” I can’t think of anyone to whom that applies more than my own mom, and the mothers on my friends list, with th
Samantha
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-2017
4.75 stars! Finally the pirate book I've been craving. This is basically Ocean's 11 meets Pirates of the Caribbean.
Petrik
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: High fantasy fans
Shelves: owned-physical
Buddy read with these thieves: Celeste & Sarah

4.5/5 Stars

Contrary to the popular opinion that Red Seas Under Red Skies, the second book in the Gentleman Bastard Sequence series, is weaker than its predecessor, I’m more inclined to say that it’s not inferior nor superior but it’s equally great with The Lies of Locke Lamora in a different way. It retained some elements that made the first book rose to its fame and at the same time, replace some of them with some new factors to the series. I do
☽Luna☾
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: badassery, favorites
James Lafayette  Tivendale
I probably enjoyed this book more than the first of the Gentleman Bastard sequence. It starts as fast paced as the previous book ended with Locke & Jean already knee deep in a con involving this worlds equivalent of a Casino known as the Sinspire. The start of the novel flips between this section and also what the characters have been up to since they sailed away from Camorr at the end of book 1. This section showcases a cool transition period which shows the Gentleman Bastard's as less than ...more
Bookdragon Sean
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Joe Abercrombie fans
Shelves: fantasy, 4-star-reads
Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee, Jon Snow and Samwell Tarly, FitzChivalry Farseer and The Fool, Locke Lamora and Jean Tammen: eight men of fantasy who without their counterpart would be nothing.

Indeed, without Jean at his back Locke Lamora would have no chance of success. Both men provide the other with what he lacks, and together they make a deadly, silver tongued, thieving duo that are best summed up in two words: awesome bastards.

A deadly scheme on the high seas!

description

It was a big surprise to m
Kelly

Although I was prepared to bite my thumb at anyone who had a problem with this book up to about 200 pages in, over the course of the 500 pages after that, I began to slowly, reluctantly and finally in complete exasperation, change my mind.

Scott Lynch begins his novel at the same level of quality as his fabulous first novel, The Lies of Locke Lamora. His characters are dealing with the events of the previous novel, in a mostly believable fashion, in a believable time period- its kept from becomin
Matthew
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Caper and Swashbuckling Adventure fans
This book is 1/3 this:

And 2/3 this:

Quite a fantastic and epic story! A casino caper and a swashbuckling adventure combining action, deception, romance, and humor - this book has it all. Very well written. Even with the length of the story, I never felt that it had gone on too long. Definitely no filler.

This is a sequel and I think I like it better than the first. That is saying a lot because the first was great! In this case, I will say something I don't usually say - I think you could read this
C.G. Drews
I DON'T EVEN HAVE WORDS TO EXPRESS HOW MUCH I ABSOLUTELY ENTIRELY COMPLETELY ADORE THIS SERIES. There are books that I love in this universe. And then there are books that I really really really really really really really really really really really really love. THIS SERIES IS THE LATTER. I mean, I do think The Lies of Locke Lamora was better. But this still had everything I absolutely demand of a book and of a sequel.

Stop being so PERFECT, Gentlemen Bastards. My heart cannot handle.

(Also it's
Celeste
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Full review now posted!
This review and more can be found on Booknest.

A buddy read with my loves: Petrik and Sarah.

In my humble opinion, pirates make everything better. When I was six or seven, my favorite Saturday-morning cartoon was Pirates of the Dark Waters. (Which so didn’t age well, but nostalgia covers a multitude of sins.) In junior high, I went through a phase where I researched every famous pirate I knew of, just because I found them fascinating. I’ve loved every single one of The Pirat
Ginger
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Welp, seldom has a book made me waver on how much I felt about it. I definitely went into this sequel with high hopes because I loved The Lies of Locke Lamora!

At the beginning of the book, Red Seas Under Red Skies seemed to be heading in the same way. And then it got weighed down. I like when a book has tons of twists and plots so I stayed with the course. But there were sections that got tedious and I struggled, especially with the nautical information that Jean and Locke had to learn. Also, th
ChopinFC
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Full review…

Another absolute slam dunk by Scott Lynch! Gentlemens Bastard 2 does the rare feet of improving on the original formula of the first novel!!

I was so impressed and entertained after the first go round of Gentlemens Bastard, that decided to go right into the second book without pause. In the first novel, Lynch introduces us to the ‘guild of thieves’ and multiple characters including the protagonist Locke and his best bud and confidant ‘Jean’. The world building in the first book was
Natalie Monroe
EDIT 22/1/2017: Saw Scott Lynch's reply to a reader who complained that a black, middle-aged badass pirate mom was "unrealistic" and now I love this series more than ever (Underlined parts are the criticism):

Third your characters are unrealistic stereotpyes of political correctness. Is it really necessary for the sake of popular sensibilities to have in a fantasy what we have in the real world? I read fantasy to get away from politically correct cliches.

God, yes! If there's one thing fantasy is
Dana Ilie
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Red Seas Under Red Skies is another complicated heist novel with all the danger and glamour of a Bond movie. Incredible set pieces like a Renaissance interzone where the wealthy live beyond the law, a casino high rise made of shimmering glass, and a pirate ship on the high seas lend a cinematic quality to the action. Lynch is meticulous and detailed and it all comes together both believably and unexpectedly.

However, like all the best epics, this is really a story about friendship, recovery, hard
Adina
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf
3.5*

“Know something? I'd lay even odds that between the people following us and the people hunting us, we've become this city's principle means of employment. Tal Verrar's entire economy is now based on fucking with us.”

The follow-up of the marvellous, funny, dark, The Lies of Locke Lamora, this novel does not manage to reach the greatness of the first volume. Still, I very much enjoyed reading about the adventures of my favourite duo of thieves, Locke and Jean.

One of the reasons that I wasn't
Dorreh
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope writing my review doesn't take as long as reading this did!

Review coming soon........
Robin (Bridge Four)
Reading with the BB&B group. I have 3 weeks to finish this so I should be okay :P... actually it took me five weeks to read it.

I really enjoyed the first book in this series but Red Seas Under Red Skies was a bit meh for me.

Don’t get me wrong, the dialogue between Locke and Jean is still amazing and I love the utter devotion those two have for one another. But the story was a little all over the place and I think my biggest issue is probably that the flashbacks were to a time not that long a
Will M.
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own, 2014
I'm probably going to receive a lot of hate for this rating, but I'm just being honest here. I'm bold enough to give this a 3, because that's the highest it can go. The novel is not bad, but it's also not phenomenal.

Am I the only one reminded of Pirates of the Caribbean while reading this? Pirates aside, it had the same vibe to it. I really liked Pirates, but just like Red Seas, both had a lot of dull moments.

Red Seas would've received at least a 4 from me, if it was consistent with its amazing
mark monday
Happy New Year to you all! it certainly has been some kind of a year. and Happy New Year to Locke and Jean too, or rather, Happy New Life! the thrilling but often horrible and tragic events in their preceding book together certainly warrant some kind of hopeful message.

for the most part they get over it. Lies of Locke Lamora was mainly a whole lot of fun, but the terrible deaths that occurred were genuinely upsetting, and I appreciated how Lynch didn't just rush past the trauma that Jean and esp
TS Chan
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thieves prosper, the rich remember.

It's been well over half a year since I was acquainted with the Gentlemen Bastards, and The Lies of Locke Lamora made its into my favourites shelf with the ease of Locke's glib tongue charming his way out of trouble. While Red Seas under Red Skies didn't make it as a favourite, it was still highly entertaining and deserved a 4.5-star rating, rounded up.

Scott Lynch is pretty good at keeping the readers dangling as they wonder "what will Locke do next?" or "how
Mike
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
Review for The Lies of Locke Lamora

So before starting this review I decided to go back and look at what I wrote for the first installment of the series. The three major reasons I enjoyed the first book were World Building, Character Work, and Story. And honestly I can just chalk up these three areas to why the sequel succeeds as well.

The story opens in a new city with a new con that Locke and Jean are trying to pull off because that is what they do and what they are good at. Lynch does a wonderf
Hannah Greendale
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
2.5 Stars | Pales in comparison to the first book.

Scott Lynch has once again created witty, engaging dialogue. The dialogue was a primary factor in my not giving up on this novel. The first half felt slow, filled with long descriptions that more or less proved irrelevant. At the midpoint, my attention was finally captured, and the book remained worthy of three stars for the third quarter of the novel. However, by the fourth quarter of the book, the ever-shifting use of names (one alias atop ano
Molly
Rating? 4 cats ready to sail ,

...almost five, but because of a few things
description

Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen, are back in business .... there's not greater fun for them then to unburden rich people of their heavy purses. Bigger the challenge, greater the fun, as always with the Gentlemen Bastards . Their next target, the famous Tal Verrar gambling house, The Sinspire.

description

After two years of careful planning and preparing the field, it's almost time to reap the benefits. Everything is going smoothly when (
Coreen  (AsThePlotThickens)

I love Locke but this sequel is not as good as the first book. I still love it anyway!
Kübra Yağmur
LANET OLSUN SCOTT LYNCH!
MADRABAZ BEKÇİ BELANI VERSİN!
IANO YUTSUN SENİ!
SALON GEÇİDİ’NDE BAŞINA GELEYEN KALMASIN EMİ!

⬇ Aşağısı spoiler dolu, ona göre şedin derim ben. ⬇
(view spoiler)
Carol.
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of rogues
Four stars, with reservations

A bit of a slog in the beginning--guess I haven't been in the mood for the great con. Locke Lamora is still at the heart of the narrative, and I don't think he could get from bed to breakfast without hatching or implementing a Rube Goldberg of a plot. It remains a sort of "Oceans Eleven" caper at the beginning, with multiple steps and a long, convoluted plan of attack on the owner of an elaborate and elite gambling facility. However, in true Oceans fashion, even as t
Hanne
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I realize I’m being wayward again: most people seemed to be über-enthusiast about book one, and they tend to like book two a bit less. Not me: I really enjoyed book two, much more than the first.

The main driver behind this difference, is that everything I didn’t like about book one is gone here: there’s no smooth sailing, there aren’t a bizillion tricks hiding in Locke’s sleeve, and the whole “Look how clever I am”-feel of the book is gone. This cat might still have seven lives; he isn’t always
Gökçe
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sanırım ölüyorum. bye.

edit: dördüncü kitap çıkana kadar üçüncüyü okumayacağıma yemin etmiştim ama dayanamıyorum :)
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Because I want to meet Zamira Drakasha.

Oh, and because of this :

As for claims to “realism,” your complaint is of a kind with those from bigoted hand-wringers who whine that women can’t possibly fly combat aircraft, command naval vessels, serve in infantry actions, work as firefighters, police officers, etc. despite the fact that they do all of those things— and are, for a certainty, doing them all somewhere at this very minute. Tell me that a fit fortyish woman with 25+ years of experience at s
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Red Seas Under Red Skies [Jan 15, 2018] 102 65 Mar 30, 2018 03:10AM
Fantasy Fanatics: Red Seas under Red Skies 2 4 Aug 19, 2017 07:18PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Red Seas Under Red Skies 96 63 Jun 07, 2017 10:46PM
SF/F Read Alongs: Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastards #2) 53 43 Jun 03, 2016 10:48AM
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)
  • Red Country (First Law World, #6)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3)
  • Caine Black Knife (The Acts of Caine, #3)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • The Iron Jackal (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #3)
  • Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on April 2, 1978, the first of three brothers. I've lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area my entire life; currently, just across the border in Wisconsin, about half an hour east of the Twin Cities.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, my first novel, was bought by Simon Spanton at Orion Books in August, 2004. Prior to that I had just about every job you usually see in this s
More about Scott Lynch

Gentleman Bastard (7 books)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)
  • The Ministry of Necessity (Gentleman Bastard, #5)
  • The Mage and the Master Spy (Gentleman Bastard, #6)
  • Inherit the Night (Gentleman Bastard, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Difficult" and "impossible" are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common.” 258 likes
“That's a sweet piece," said Jean, briefly forgetting to be aggravated. "You didn't snatch that off a street."

"No," said Locke, before taking another deep draught of the warm water in the decanter. "I got it from the neck of the governor's mistress."

"You can't be serious."

"In the governor's manor."

"Of all the -"

"In the governor's bed."

"Damned lunatic!"

"With the governor sleeping next to her."

The night quiet was broken by the high, distant trill of a whistle, the traditional swarming noise of city watches everywhere. Several other whistles joined in a few moments later.

"It is possible," said Locke with a sheepish grin, "that I have been slightly too bold.”
221 likes