Start by marking “I Have an Olive Tree” as Want to Read:
I Have an Olive Tree

I Have an Olive Tree

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The day I was seven, my grandfather gave me and olive tree...At first, Sophia thinks the tree is an odd gift, but when Grandfather dies and her mother travel to Greece to see the tree, she discovers that what he discovers that what he has given her is far greater than she'd ever imagined.

A testimony to the wondrous ties of family and heritage, this glorious picture book br
Published April 7th 1999 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about I Have an Olive Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Have an Olive Tree

Kym
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: university-shelf
This is an amazing book that I cannot read without crying. It's about life and death. Having respect for our elders and loved ones. Valuing tradition and learning more about who we are and where our families came from and evolved to over time. It's about love and family. An amazing book!
Jo Oehrlein
Speaks to the experience of second generation immigrants -- those that don't remember the home country.

Allie Guy
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
8. This story starts in modern day California where a third generation Greek girl, Sophia is given an olive tree for her birthday by her grandfather. Sophia wanted a skateboard and doesn’t quite understand why her grandfather has given her a tree planted all the way in Greece. The story unfolds as the grandfather dies and asks that Sophia travels to her mother’s homeland to hang beads on that very tree in remembrance of her grandmother. Sophia and her mother start out on the long journey to Euro ...more
Barbara
My students know that I adore books written by Eve Bunting, particularly those with messages or that explore important issues. I have no idea how I missed this one until recently, but I am happy to add it to my collection. On her seventh birthday, Sophie receives a strange gift from her grandfather--an olive tree. Not wanting to hurt his feelings, Sophie doesn't let on how disappointed she is to have a gift that is in Greece. After his death, she and her mother travel to Greece to see the olive ...more
Fisal Ansari
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Age:
Grades 4-8

Genre:
General Fiction

Diversity:
Greek heritage, ethnic perspectives.

Illustrations:
Amazing illustrations by Karen Barbour. She uses different positions on the page to capture the images. And the colors run deep and show life, mood.

Personal response:
I thought this book was amazing because it provided a narrative that was tied into culture.

Curricular or programming connections:
The idea of heritage and family ties could be explored through graphing.
Matthew
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
This story of cultural awakening for a little girl is not unfamiliar material for an Eve Bunting book. I liked the story, though the illustrations were a little bit simplistic and not my favorite style. Exploring Greek culture is definitely a new twist for her. I liked the story.
Beth
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, birthday
Sophia wanted a skateboard for her seventh birthday. Her grandfather gives her the olive tree back in Greece. A year later when her grandfather is dying, he gives her his keepsake to place on the tree. He saved money for Sophia and her mother to go to Greece.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Shares the story of a young girl learning about her family ties to Greece through an olive tree given to her from her grandfather.
Finny
Mommy says: F didn't care for the illustrations, but it was a good story. Mommy even got choked up a little near the end.
Danielle
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Used with teaching theme in author analysis unit
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...