Start by marking “Hua Hu Ching: The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu” as Want to Read:
Hua Hu Ching: The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu

Hua Hu Ching: The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu

The perfect companion to Stephen Mitchell's version of the Tao Te Ching, this is the astonishing rendering of Lao Tzu's further writings. Each of the eighty-one teachings presented by Taoist scholar and poet Brian Walker are rich with wisdom, mystery, and startling enlightenment.
Published September 8th 1992 by HarperSanFrancisco (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Hua Hu Ching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hua Hu Ching

Start your review of Hua Hu Ching: The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu
Mohammad
آیا این گونه می پنداری که هستی متلاطم و بی قرار است؟ پس در شب به بیابان بزن و به ستاره ها بنگر. با این تمرین پاسخ ات را خواهی گرفت.
"مردِ برتر" ذهنِ خود را آرام می کند، درست به مانندِ کیهان که ستارگان را در آسمان جای می دهد. فرزانه با پیوستنِ ذهنِ خویش با سر منشاءِ ظریف و ناپیدا، آن را آرام می کند و آن گاه که ذهن آرام گرفت، به شیوه ی طبیعیِ خویش انبساط می یابد و سرانجام به وسعت و بیکرانگیِ آسمانِ شب می شود.

پنج - هوآ هو چینگ - تعالیم نهایی لائو تسه
Nariman
هوآ هو چینگ، در کنار «یی چینگ: کتاب تغییرات» و «تائو ته چینگ» سه کتاب مقدس آیین تائو یا «راهآیین» هستند.
مجموعهٔ ۸۱ گفتار کوتاه دربارهٔ جهاننگری تائو، اخلاق، بهکاربستن آموزهها و ... است. مدتی که کنار دستم بود، چندتایی از گفتارهاش رو میخوندم در روز.

در کل، قسمتهای خواندنی کم نداره، فقط کاش که ترجمهاش بهتر بود.
Ted
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in Asian studies
Completely unknown, I think, but a terrific companion to the Tao Te Ching. It clarifies and elucidates and reinforces. We are lucky to have this other collection of Lao Tzu's sayings, and this translation is a good one.
Pete
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration
I savor this book, along with several other books of poetry by Rumi, Kabir and Hafiz each morning. Brian Walker has translated Lao Tzu's sayings well. Each one is like a flower that blooms on reflection.
Lee
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's unfortunate that this text is relatively "unknown" compared to the Tao Te Ching. Though it invokes the same familiar themes, the Hua Hu Ching completely avoids the clever, esoteric wordplay found in the Tao Te Ching and instead delivers a much more practical and personal lesson that feels more like a teacher than a text, and strikes me as offering a comparatively more approachable entry point for those unfamiliar with, but otherwise interested in, Taoism. I think those already familiar with ...more
Orion
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Most people who have heard of Lao Tzu know him through his book the Tao Te Ching, a fundamental Taoist text. The authorship and history of the Tao Te Ching is still being debated. And so it is also the case for the Hua Hu Ching which is also often attributed to Lao Tzu. The text has come down to us largely through oral tradition, although a partial manuscript was discovered in a cave in China.

In 1979 the first English translation by Hua-Ching Ni of the Hua Hu Ching was published by Shambhala Press under
Hsin*i
Oct 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sincere students
Shelves: essential
a simple, clear, concise short poem manual of self-cultivation
Chris
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful delve into further depths along with the Tao Te Ching. Highly recommended, it changed my life.
Kathryn
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The "yin" side of Lao Tzu's "Tao Te Ching"--the feminine principal.
Obi
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Classic. Must-read, little known text.
Rubina
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, spiritual
The Tao Te Ching is recognized as Lao Tzu only book, however, there is a collection his oral teachings recorded in a book called the Hua Hu Ching. This version translated by Brain Walker is made up of 81 teachings on the subject of attaining enlightenment and mastery through the Tao. It is a compact book but filled with much insight and thought-provoking teachings.
Alva Ware-Bevacqui
I found this book sitting on my mom's bookshelf. What a delightful treasure! Really poignant teachings that are described in impactful words. I actually think I might like it better than the actual tao te ching.
Robert Francisco
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great companion to the Tao Te Ching
Victoria
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Victoria by: Michael P.
3.5/5

With simple, poetic beauty, this book encourages self-reflection and offers some interesting thoughts to contemplate.
Leez
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Really good stuff. What life's all about.
Rowan
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
absolutely beautiful
David Rutland
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oddballs
nice to flip around in. good for clearing my mind and putting me in a very peaceful mood.
Yocountesslo Curtis
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Open to any page and find meaningful truths to meditate on. Amazing spiritual growth tool
Kc C
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Definitely My Favorite Book ever
Sean
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ancient, philosophy
I certainly liked this translation better than The Complete Works of Lao Tzu: Tao Teh Ching & Hua Hu Ching. Unfortunately, like Ni with his translation, Walker does not give much of an introduction making clear his translation choices, so it is not possible to take what I read here and compare it to what I have read in other texts translated by other people. And like Ni, he does not deal with the history of the Hua Hu Ching. I think the possibility of fraud in the origin of a text is important. I know t ...more
Nick
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story on this book is that it represents a collection of Lao Tzu's oral teachings. Since the original Tao Te Ching was also supposed to have been dictated by Lao Tzu before he left for the hills, I'm not sure what the difference is. Nonetheless, these apparently additional writings are wonderful for students of Lao Tzu to further their understanding of the Tao. They add simple ideas of how to live your life in harmony with the Tao, and in that they do seem to ring true.
Özge
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Öğretilerim basittir.
Onlardan bir din ya da bilim oluşturmak istersen
Seni yüzüstü bırakır.
(...)
Dünya yarı-aydınlanmış üstadlarla doludur.
Son derece zeki, gerçek dünyada yaşamak için
Fazlasıyla "duyarlı"dırlar;
Etraflarını bencil zevklerle doldurmuşlardır;
(...)

Mathew Vondersaar
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful in its simplicity and complexity. A easy to read translation of a powerful text, that equally has very little and very much to say.

Highly, highly recommend.
Jason Gilbert
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Classic text.
Michael Huffman
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you only ever decide to read one spiritual book, this book would be an excellent choice. I found it to be more accessible than the Tao Te Ching. I give it my highest recommendation!
Romano
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Es imposible intentar opinar o comentar sobre la estructura de toda una filosofía del desapego.
Ayse Turan
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sevmek, nefret etmek, ümit sahibi olmak:Tüm bunlar bağlılıktır.
Bağlılık kişinin gerçek varoluşunu engeller.
Bilgi şüphe yaratır.
...
O halde huzuru bozmamak için razı ol.
Sessiz, sakin ol.
Kendi içindeki uyumu keşfet.
Onu kucakla.
...
Saflık ve aydınlık senin kendi doğanda olduğu için,
Onlar bir santim hareket edilmeden, elde edilirler.
Aklını düzelttiğin zaman,
Yaşamının geri kalanı da yerine oturacaktır.
.... ...more
Mattheus Guttenberg
A consensus of scholars indicates this was probably not done by Lao-tzu, but was written during the 3rd century AD during the imperial debates between Taoists and Buddhists. In any case, a decent companion to the Tao Te Ching.
Alona

• The Tao Speaks: Lao-Tzu's Whispers of Wisdom
  • Gazing Into the Eternal: Reflections Upon a Deeper Purpose to Living
  • Taoism Way Beyond Seeking
  • The Key to the True Kabbalah
  • Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao: A Spiritual Handbook for the Urban Warrior
  • Everyday Tao: Living with Balance and Harmony
  • The Tao of Daily Life: The Mysteries of the Orient Revealed The Joys of Inner Harmony Found The Path to  Enlightenment Illuminated
  • Lieh-tzu: A Taoist Guide to Practical Living
  • Mencius
  • The Shambhala Guide to Taoism
  • The Gnostic Paul: Gnostic Exegesis of the Pauline Letters
  • The Way of Qigong: The Art and Science of Chinese Energy Healing
Lao Tzu (Chinese: 老子; pinyin: Lǎozǐ; Wade-Giles: Laosi; also Laozi, Lao Tse, Lao Tu, Lao-Tsu, Laotze, Laosi, Lao Zi, Laocius, Lao Ce, and other variations) was a mystic philosopher of ancient China, best known as the author of the Tao Te Ching (often simply referred to as Laozi). His association with the Tao Te Ching has led him to be traditionally considered the founder of Taoism (pronounced as "Daoi ...more
“Kind prince there is nothing in the realm of ideas that is absolute, therefore all efforts to form ideologies are ultimately futile.” 23 likes
“Choose food, clothing, and shelter that accords with nature.Rely on your own body for transportation. Allow your work and your recreation to be one and the same. Do exercise that develops your whole being and not just your body. Listen to music that bridges the three spheres of your being. Choose leaders for their virtue rather than their wealth or power. Serve others and cultivate yourself simultaneously. Understand that true growth comes from meeting and solving problems of life in a way that is harmonizing to yourself and to others. If you can follow these simple old ways, you will be continually renewed.” 6 likes