Start by marking “The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #5)” as Want to Read:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase

(Hitchhiker's Guide BBC Radio Series #5)

Panic! It's the last installment of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, with a brand new full-cast dramatization of Mostly Harmless, the final book in Douglas Adams' famous "trilogy in five parts." While frequent flyer Arthur Dent searches the universe for his lost love, Ford Prefect discovers a disturbing blast from the past at. The Hitchhiker's Guide HQ. Meanwhile, on ...more
Audio CD, 1 page
Published October 1st 2007 by BBC Audiobooks (first published June 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Start your review of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #5)
kimyunalesca
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Probably the best of the bunch,I laughed a lot and got the hang of things.Everything somewhat came together,loads of explanation also surprises quite like instellar in a way of travel,loops,planet jump of sorts.I pretty much enjoyed this a bit sad it's over.The Radioplay production sounds a lot of fun!
James
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5
While this is still fun you can feel that the series is really trying at this point
Ian Lepine
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stylistically speaking, this is as good as anything Adams ever wrote. A lot of people, however, object to the plot. The book upon which this is based is called Mostly Harmless, but it is anything but. The radio adaptation, however, pretends the ending was all an elaborate joke and gives us several happy endings connected inter-dimensionally. While the last few minutes of this radio play (not written by Adams, as I understand) are funny enough, it does feel like a betrayal to the original story. ...more
Markus
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, sci-fi
"Fenchurch, when are you off work?"
"Shortly after the apocalypse"
"Do you wanna go fly with me then?"
"Always"
I'm not crying, you're crying.
This one actually profited from the fast pace and is still one of my favorites of the series in general.
Pinar
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Seriyi böylece bitirmiş olduk. Son kitap en eğlencelisiydi sanki. 10. gezegen Rupert, Arthur'un kızı Random Frequent Flyer Dent, bir bilim olarak astroloji..
Michael Clemens
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Adrian
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, sci-fi
Well, well, well. This adaptation of the final, fifth book, Mostly Harmless, in the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy, is the perfect ending. The book was widely criticised at the time of its release due to its darker feel compared to the previous 4 books. Well, the radio series makes up for this with an extended, alternative, ending.

As for the plot; Fenchurch has disappeared, the guide has been taken over and is due to be upgraded, Arthur, Ford, Zaphod, and Trillian/Tricia, all in s
Andrew Bulthaupt
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, dna
I listened to this via Audible.

The Quintessential Phase is the last part of the adaptation of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy into a radio production. It also feels like it is the most-changed of all the three phases that were produced after the author's death. The cast and crew knock things out of the park as always, and it was fantastic to listen to. If you enjoyed everything up until this point you'll like this as well.

If you've read the books, you may recall that the last one is da
David
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best and most quotable in the history of the universe.

"More popular, certainly more successful than the Celestial Home Care Omnibus, better selling than Fifty-Three More Things to do in Zero Gravity, and more controversial than Oolon Colluphid's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters Where God Went Wrong, Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes and Who is this God Person Anyway?" (quote Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

I highly recommend. I've read it (the series) about 3 times and it n
Adam
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks-a-z
Post listen review:

Totally incoherent, rather plotless, completely insane and fully and thoroughly entertaining. My only complaint is that it is too short.

Pre-listen guess

Woohoo! Douglas Adams is (ok was) a genious at being funny! Finally something decent to listen to.
Arlene
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Totally different ending than the book. Huge plot twists.
Steve Mitchell
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sytze Hiemstra
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Even though it's not genuine Adams, this is a fun conclusion to the guide.
Eric
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had I fully realized it was a radio play I might have passed on checking it out. It turned out to be entertaining, but less than my full cup of tea.
Gary Mcfarlane
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great you like herring sandwiches and want to find out what actually happened to Elvis.
D.L. Pitchford
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, humor, sci-fi
Omg, Marvin! <3 <3 <3 I freaked out. So emotional. ...more
Kirsty Kat (wanderingbookishsoul)
I have come to conclusion that I will always be a die hard Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fan. This phase did not disappoint although I was a little surprised it ended so well and then it was just bitter sweet and a bit sad knowing that we lost such a great person.

I will always recommend this series.
Alex
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This threatened to be really good. Insanity has been restored to the Hitchhikers Universe with the multidimensional parallel universe strands coming into full force, two Trillians, Arthur Dent - Sandwich maker - has a daughter and Ford Prefect befriends an amusing new robot and uncovers a hostile takeover of the Hitchiker's Guide...

...but again at 4 episodes this is just too short to work those ideas through and they're no sooner introduced than they're abandoned again. Maggs and the BBC decide
Kerry
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
This one was only okay? I think? I was sewing at the time so I was only paying half attention. At least everybody was in it, that was good. Usually I'm a fan of parallel whatevers. But this was short and there was too little of the Book and too much American!Trillian. I dunno. It was all right.
Paul
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Douglas Adams fans
Recommended to Paul by: Douglas Adams
I picked this up thinking it was the final book (Mostly Harmless) in the Hitchhiker's trilogy. I was disappointed to find out it was actually the BBC production of the book, and not an actual reading of it. But BBC did a nice job of it, so I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
In which Arthur Dent makes sandwiches .Ford Prefect goes on a spending spree. And we discover where the whole thing comes to a conclusion. Listened to the 2005 Radio Broadcast which gives the series a different ending than the books.
SPOILER******
Given Arthur a happy ending or various endings.
Min
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
All I can say to it, is, a fine, and fitting end to the series....as written by Douglas Adams.
Several plot lines, conveniently bundled away in a twist that, I hope leaves the nostalgia buttons flashing happily.
Bob
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Likes: Great stuff, lots of quotable quotes, very humorously written.

Dislikes: This is, apparently, the last one.
Jason
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly a poor ending to a great story.
benebean
if I could I'd prolly give it a 4.5... but I reserve 5 for books that I frequently and uncontrollably quote to other people :)
Philip
Enjoyed it and wanted to love it, but listening while I was driving back and forth to work it just got a little too confusing.
Ron Sadowski
Michele Brenton
Apr 25, 2012
Annemarie Groves
Oct 05, 2014

• And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #6)
  • Neverwhere: BBC Dramatisation
  • Stardust - BBC Dramatisation
  • Norse Mythology: A BBC Radio 4 full-cast dramatisation
  • The Half-Life of Marie Curie
  • The Priest and Me (Just a Quickie #8)
  • He’s All In
  • Doctor Who: The Resurrection Casket (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #9)
  • Belovéd 3956 (Belovéd, #1)
  • The Crack Cocaine Diet
  • Suddenly His
  • First Lesbian Love: Lesbian First Time Sex
  • Good Omens: The BBC Radio 4 dramatisation
  • Doctor Who: The Stone Rose
  • Anansi Boys: BBC Dramatisation
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
Douglas Noël Adams was an English author, comic radio dramatist, and musician. He is best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Hitchhiker's began on radio, and developed into a "trilogy" of five books (which sold more than fifteen million copies during his lifetime) as well as a television series, a comic book series, a computer game, and a feature film that was ...more

Hitchhiker's Guide BBC Radio Series (6 books)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Primary Phase
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Secondary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #2)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Tertiary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #3)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Quandary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #4)
  • The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: Hexagonal Phase: And Another Thing...  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #6)